• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

So I tried out the Stanley Parable demo, and I didn't particularly like it. It was okay at first, then wore out its welcome and kept on rambling. Should I still give the full game a shot down the line? For this category of games, I loved To The Moon, enjoyed Gone Home, and was lukewarm on Dear Esther (besides the visuals).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So I tried out the Stanley Parable demo, and I didn't particularly like it. It was okay at first, then wore out its welcome and kept on rambling. Should I still give the full game a shot down the line? For this category of games, I loved To The Moon, enjoyed Gone Home, and was lukewarm on Dear Esther (besides the visuals).

If you didn't enjoy the metacommentary and humor of the demo then the full game will do nothing for you.

Sorry you didn't dig it though.

cicero

Damn. I figured the guy was legit. He had and sitll has great feedback as a seller.
I almost want to contact Steam about it but if this guy did something wrong, I dont really want to be associated with it.

Still sucks being out the 30 bucks I spent on it :(

You could still try to contact Valve about it and provide the evidence of your well-intentioned legitimate purchase. Is it possible that he might have mistakenly sold it more than once and someone else reported the code as being stolen?

Salaadin

You could still try to contact Valve about it and provide the evidence of your well-intentioned legitimate purchase. Is it possible that he might have mistakenly sold it more than once and someone else reported the code as being stolen?

I contacted the seller first to see if this is the case. I might sitll ask Valve about it depending on his answer, if any.

oipic

I don't have enough games for organizing to take priority.

I did a double-take here as I initially thought it was Jase who had posted this... I've been Ronaned.

Another sale or two should sort you out there, Penguin - one big category named 'backlog'.

Miker

If you didn't enjoy the metacommentary and humor of the demo then the full game will do nothing for you.

Sorry you didn't dig it though.

That's too bad, I guess. Strange, as I usually enjoy non-traditional interactive experiences, or whatever the hell we're calling them nowadays.

denx

Most likely L4D3 or F-STOP.

I thought that was scrapped? Would be interesting if they did anything around that concept though (whatever that concept was).

But honestly I would be more interested if they resurrected Stars of Blood. The concept art for that thing was incredible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought that was scrapped? Would be interesting if they did anything around that concept though (whatever that concept was).

I'd assumed that Wolpaw and co. being very coy about Portal 2's pre-portal mechanic was due to F-STOP being expanded into a full-length title, but the most recent JIRA leak suggests that the project is, or at least was, in suspended animation.

But honestly I would be more interested if they resurrected Stars of Blood. The concept art for that thing was incredible.

I hold hope that the project was simply put on ice until Source 2 is sufficiently mature. The mind salivates at the mere thought of a "space pirate" game with a practically unlimited budget.

denx

I'd assumed that Wolpaw and co. being very coy about Portal 2's pre-portal mechanic was due to F-STOP being expanded into a full-length title, but the most recent JIRA leak suggests that the project is, or at least was, in suspended animation.

I hold hope that the project was simply put on ice until Source 2 is sufficiently mature. The mind salivates at the mere thought of a "space pirate" game with a practically unlimited budget.

Thanks for the link, pretty interesting information there even if it's outdated. Are we sure Kelly Bailey is back at Valve full time or just doing contract work?

And yeah, the thought of Stars of Blood on Source 2 sounds incredible. It also makes me sad because I know my current laptop wouldn't be able to run it at all. >_<

Good stuff. Do we know if Valve is gonna spread out the announcements through the week or dump it all in a single day? I'm especially looking forward to their software partners announcement.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for the link, pretty interesting information there even if it's outdated. Are we sure Kelly Bailey is back at Valve full time or just doing contract work?

Hard to say. It doesn't really matter, though: what's important is that he's there. It wouldn't be Half-Life 3 without Bailey.

KarmaCow

Is there to put up items onto the community store in bulk? I have 100s of items from TF2's MvM mode and doing that individually will be painful.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ouch, really? I didn't like the demo much either but I got the game anyway.

I don't see how anyone that didn't like the demo would like the full game, or why they would buy the full game :p

I love how that post is well over half a year old and yet there's been no movement on that front since. Classic Valve!
Imagine if we could weaponize Valve Time. Got a major crisis or disaster on the way? Valve Time it so you can prevent it/prepare for it.

Even kids can get in on it, with Valve Time for Kids
Product not guaranteed to work on tests.

mannerbot

I don't see how anyone that didn't like the demo would like the full game, or why they would buy the full game :p

Well, I was pretty set on buying it since it got such rave reviews. I might've played the demo after buying it actually, though it's still in my inventory unredeemed. I know the demo's all original content so I figured I might like the game more; is the full game really kind of more of the same? I realize it's probably hard to answer that without spoiling the poop out of the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, I was pretty set on buying it since it got such rave reviews. I might've played the demo after buying it actually, though it's still in my inventory unredeemed. I know the demo's all original content so I figured I might like the game more; is the full game really kind of more of the same? I realize it's probably hard to answer that without spoiling the poop out of the game.

Mechanically it's the same, you go from room to room while the British guy narrates / talks to you. And this is coming from someone that loved it (but I loved the demo also)

mannerbot

Mechanically it's the same, you go from room to room while the British guy narrates / talks to you. And this is coming from someone that loved it (but I loved the demo also)

Yeah, I'm fine with that. I like point and click adventures and visual novels, so I'm perfectly fine with the game basically being a Choose Your Own Adventure book. I was just hoping that the content in the full game would be more to my taste than the demo was, I suppose.

Jørdan

Imagine if we could weaponize Valve Time. Got a major crisis or disaster on the way? Valve Time it so you can prevent it/prepare for it.

Even kids can get in on it, with Valve Time for Kids
Product not guaranteed to work on tests.

UlZ8kYN.jpg

Tellaerin

Anyone else think anything that gets below a 50 metascore should be banned from Steam? There is has got to be some way to get rid of the Unearthed's, the Gettysburgs, the War-Z's, the Revelations 2012's and the Rougue Warriors away from Steam.

Unearthed is sitting at 11 now. Clearly Greenlight is a farce at this stage.

What would be the point of screening games based on metascore? Word about the really dire ones tends to get around fast, so it's not like a lot of people unknowingly get suckered into buying crap. Then there's the fact that one man's trash is another man's treasure - no matter how bad the critics think a game is, you can probably find someone out there who'll enjoy it if you look hard enough. Then there's also the whole "so bad it's good" angle to consider.

I think the system we've got now works. Let developers put their games up there, give people some means to post feedback where it'll be easily visible, then let people decide for themselves what they want to buy.

Nakazato

The 1st real steam thread I can post in lol still need a cpu and gpu upgrade but im happy my new pc can handle most steam games :D

denx

I really love this game!

Time to finish up Bastion if I can... one more achievement for perfection!

The music is so good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDflVhOpS4E

Best track from Bastion this way --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWAcgefsQQ

I liked the game, but not as much as other people did. I intended to do a New Game + playthorugh, but after playing the first couple of levels I dropped it because other games got my attention. I don't think I'll ever go back to the game, but I had fun with it.

Now I'm looking forward to Transistor.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bastion has one of the best soundtracks in any game to date.

Dryk

Do you guys have any preferences on what categories to use to organize your gargantuan-sized library of games?
My "currently playing/to-do list" is Favourites, then I have:

Completed
Completed - New Content (DLC bought since finishing it)
Junk (Created for the GTA III Mac versions)
Ongoing - (Multiplayer and stuff I come back to etc)
Unfinished (Dammit hard puzzle games)
Unplayed (Games I hadn't played until I stopped bothering labelling them)
Games (Game I haven't played since I stopped bothering labelling them)

I think Indie Game: The Movie has its own category now too but I don't remember what I called it

Ban Puncher

Just bought a 360 PC wireless controller, took the wireless adaptor and the software CD out and traded the bundled controller in at EB Games for MORE STEAM CREDIT OH GOD THERE'S NO WAY OFF THIS RIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom