• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

I'm more embarrassed by saints row IV being in the top 10

Hey, things don't always have to be elegant or refined to be fun. (That goes for game mechanics as well as theme.) Fine dining's a wonderful thing, but sometimes you just want a big juicy burger with all the fixins. There's no shame in people wanting that, and no reason not to celebrate it.

I still haven't played SR IV, though I definitely intend to eventually. But based solely on the enjoyment I got out of SR 2 and 3, I have no problem whatsoever with SR IV appearing on that list.

Oh wow... I actually didn't mean to lie I had switched Rogue Legacy and Spelunky in my head for some reason.

Weird.

Roguelunky? SpeeLegacy?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really want to like The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, but the friendly AI is some of the worst I've ever encountered. My teammates endlessly run towards the enemy. The only thing resembling tactics I get to employ is babysitting these morons as they hurl themselves over cover to the warm embrace of a muton at full health. Telling them where to move does nothing. They just barrel forward, dying over and over and over.

It's a massive blight on an otherwise great game.

Same here. I think I'll just drop it down to easy (if you can even change difficulties midway) to finish it one day or I just can't be arsed :/

Grief.exe

I should have just bought Alpha Protocol for 2 bucks a couple years ago during a Steam sale.

Steam GAF has piqued my interest in the title and I want to play it now.

Jawmuncher

I should have just bought Alpha Protocol a couple years ago on Steam when it went on sale for a couple bucks.

Steam GAF has piqued my interest in the title and I want to play it now.

It's definitely worth at least one playthrough.
Still surprised we haven't gotten more RPGs similar to AP and Mass Effect.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can we talk about the perceived value of games or money spent on games? I, as many here, will spend 5,6...10 bucks on a game on sale without flinching, and probably never play it. But when it comes to spending money on a f2p game, I'm always super hesitant.

I bought a hero on Marvel heroes yesterday, and only did it because I had more than the value of it in my account (they must have added funds to people after release or something). So since I only had to pony up like 3 bucks I bought it. I played about 5 hours with it yesterday, maybe more, and had fun doing it. I already probably got my 3 bucks worth out if it, and yet, just the idea of doing it again makes me cringe. It annoys me that I feel this way :/

mannerbot

Can we talk about the perceived value of games or money spent on games? I, as many here, will spend 5,6...10 bucks on a game on sale without flinching, and probably never play it. But when it comes to spending money on a f2p game, I'm always super hesitant.

I bought a hero on Marvel heroes yesterday, and only did it because I had more than the value of it in my account (they must have added funds to people after release or something). So since I only had to pony up like 3 bucks I bought it. I played about 5 hours with it yesterday, maybe more, and had fun doing it. I already probably got my 3 bucks worth out if it, and yet, just the idea of doing it again makes me cringe. It annoys me that I feel this way :/

It's good to feel that way, because otherwise you'd be one of those people who drops $3,000 on cosmetic items for a f2p game. lol

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Same here. I think I'll just drop it down to easy (if you can even change difficulties midway) to finish it one day or I just can't be arsed :/

I started on veteran. It looked like Mass Effect 3, which I played a ton of and felt like I was pretty damn good at. The difficulty feels good when my teammates are acting reasonably. Following my instructions, staying in cover, engaging enemies from a distance. The problems only arise in maybe 1/3 of the firefights (probably more like 1/2, but I'm trying to be kind). I don't want to make the game easier, I just want the ability to have complete control over my teammates, because the AI is so extremely lacking.

bonesquad

So with the current groupees thingy ending in half an hour, any opinions on any of the games being offered?

I grabbed Driftmoon and while I haven't played it much yet, it has an endearing charm to it that makes me want to play it more. A fair bit janky, but a neat adventure-RPG combo.

Kadin

When you buy the game... you get a GAME. When you buy a cosmetic item or even a character in a game, it's just that... one part of the game. And maybe a part that you'll soon dismiss because it's not fun. With the game, I'm much more inclined to believe that it's a better quality purchase. Then again, I never actually buy a game that I know I'll never play. I *might* not play it, but the intention is to at least give it a go at some point.

Xanathus

That's because the actual thing you get from that 3 bucks is just something crappy like a skin, but the enjoyment you got after that is actually free.

cicero

Crysis 3 is my second (or third) purchased Origin game, I think. I may have DA2 and I picked up the ME3 LE during the sales around Christmas.
The rest of my "collection" came from activating Steam and the Humble Origin/EA Bundle.
I have around 30. I think all mine were either from that Origin Humble Bundle, free, or in cheap Amazon.com sales. Some had been removed from Steam, never were on Steam, almost all were just too cheap on Amazon to ignore.

Not on Steam:
Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection
The Saboteur
Mirror's Edge Pure Time Trials Map Pack
Crysis 3
Dead Space 3
Dragon Age II
Need for Speed Most Wanted Limited Edition (won this in GAF bingo)

Weren't on Steam when I bought them:
Alice: Madness Returns
Crysis 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (not sure if this wasn't on Steam at that point or if it was just too expensive on Steam)

Man, I don't know if I want to keep on playing Lost Planet 3. I've played it for nearly 3 hours and it's kind of boring. It's this awkward half-step of a a linear, scripted third person shooter with a semi-openworld. Maybe openworld is the wrong term, the surface of the planet is more of a really limited hub. It's got a few open-looking vistas and areas connected by a lot of tunnels that you spend a lot of time slowly trundling through in your mech.

I remember the original being a lot more arcade-y and action-y.

Grief.exe

I have around 30. I think all mine were either from that Origin Humble Bundle, free, or in cheap Amazon.com sales. Some had been removed from Steam, never were on Steam, almost all were just too cheap on Amazon to ignore.

Not on Steam:
Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection
The Saboteur
Mirror's Edge Pure Time Trials Map Pack
Crysis 3
Dead Space 3
Dragon Age II
Need for Speed Most Wanted Limited Edition (won this in GAF bingo)

Weren't on Steam when I bought them:
Alice: Madness Returns
Crysis 2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (not sure if this wasn't on Steam at that point or if it was just too expensive on Steam)

KoA was actually released on Steam day one. Probably was just too expensive at the time as all alternate retailers offered Origin codes.

Haunted

Soundodger+ is fantastic, I love the choreography. I'd sum it up as a less hectic Super Hexagon with (imo) much more pleasing visuals.

Man, I don't know if I want to keep on playing Lost Planet 3. I've played it for nearly 3 hours and it's kind of boring. It's this awkward half-step of a a linear, scripted third person shooter with a semi-openworld. Maybe openworld is the wrong term, the surface of the planet is more of a really limited hub. It's got a few open-looking vistas and areas connected by a lot of tunnels that you spend a lot of time slowly trundling through in your mech.

It's definitely a different beast with different pacing and structure, yes.

You've correctly identified the overworld as a hub area, connected zones with some light exploration in each, but they're basically mostly there as connective bits to let you enter the actual dungeons of the game. When you're on foot, it plays fairly similarly to the first one, but they completely revamped all of the mech bits to feel much heavier and weightier.

edit: there's also a fast-travel option available a couple hours into the game, if you absolutely abhor the treks in your mech.

Jawmuncher

LP3 from what I have heard is more story than anything else and is slow the first few hours. All I can say is to stick with it a little more and if it doesn't change to your liking drop. Keep in mind it's not going to be like LP1 at all.

Xanathus

Speaking of Amalur, I wonder if the complete pack will be on sale for $5 anytime soon. I was holding out for the Steam version to be that cheap but I've given up hope and I'm in a dry season of gaming now.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of Amalur, I wonder if the complete pack will be on sale for $5 anytime soon. I was holding out for the Steam version to be that cheap but I've given up hope and I'm in a dry season of gaming now.

Who chooses if the steam version goes on sale?I know a ton of people want it but it never does for some reason.

At some point in the last year or so it was a daily/weekend deal and I got the entire package for <$20 on Steam.

One of these days, I'll play it, I swear.

Jawmuncher

I think the IP is still owned by the holding company handling the bankruptcy because they can't get anyone to buy it for the minimum bid price.

Would make sense. Sucks no one bought the IP at this point. Though the other game being MMO has probably hurt things.

Tellaerin

I ended up picking up the complete bundle (Origin) from Amazon for $8.49 during the sale at the end of November. If you don't mind that it's the Origin version, I imagine Amazon will probably run another promo on it at some point.

Sajjaja

I ended up picking up the complete bundle (Origin) from Amazon for $8.49 during the sale at the end of November. If you don't mind that it's the Origin version, I imagine Amazon will probably run another promo on it at some point.

LAST TIME I CHECKED THIS WAS THE STEAM THREAD.

Arthea

As always I'm too late, but I feel the need to advertise my glorious "nope" category again. I'm still in the process of categorization, only multi, finished and nope are certain to remain.

It'll never be on sale again.
Nobody bought it :(

Zack Zero

IDK, I liked elemental powers, I thought it was redeeming quality of ZZ. *shrugs*

Finished up Rise of the Triad '13 and man does it leave a lot to be desired. For starters, the combat throughout is numbing in repetition. You're mostly going through with two weapons, an infinite ammo MP40 and one of a few explosive launchers, so right there is the first strike against it -- no shotguns. How you can qualify as an FPS without a shotgun is beyond me, damn you Tom Hall. Anyways, that's not entirely damning because explosives are fun, and the game offers a lot of opportunities to explode guys. However, you're effectively fighting against two enemy types in the entire game, and the second doesn't even appear until the last episode. Up to then you're fighting soldiers who all fight the same way, walk straight into line of sight of you and shoot. Sometimes the one you're shooting will always roll after being shot, sometimes the one you're shooting takes a little more damage than the norm, but it's all the same damn thing. It doesn't help that the enemy introduced later doesn't vary it up all that much, I mean imagine playing Doom and the only enemies you fight in the entire game are zombie men, and zombie men with slightly more health. Does that sound like fun? Damn you Tom Hall.

Secondly, game's pretty buggy; it's a regular occurrence for the scripting to break. There were a few times where I just found myself stuck in a level wondering if it was because I couldn't figure something out, or if something failed to trigger the means for progression, and the latter was always the case. During the final boss, despite being an unenjoyable encounter all its own, there was a situation where the boss would just suddenly break into ragdoll while its head would remain in a stationary position, leaving a long Dhalsim-like stretch until the body properly ragdoll phased itself out of the arena, forcing me to restart the fight. This happened twice.

But the one thing I did find interesting about the game was its level design approach and how it took inspiration from platformers, but that was a holdover from the original. Interesting as it was, it's still like playing a game that routinely breaks into Xen. Platforming in first person shooters has almost universally been bad and RotT's is no different, who thought it was a good idea in the first place? Damn you Tom Hall.

I wouldn't recommend this, even at the $3 that I got it for. Just do yourself a favour and play Ultimate Doom again and skip all of Tom Hall's levels.

Having a similar discussion in the IOS thread. My response is same here. I will never buy freemium/F2P IAP/consumables/whatever it's called in PC games. I'll spend $15, $20, $30 on a worthy game to support a developer, I'll buy a game on release or wait for a sale, but I will never support F2P practices.

Is it as bad on PC as it is for IOS gaming? Timers/energy meters, multiple currencies, stuff like that?

cicero

Thanks, didn't know there was a sales thread. I'll check it out and complain about the lousy sale there instead.

If you don't have an account on CAG you might think about making one and posting in that thread. Amazon's Official Rep there, Tony, actually responds to individual questions and comments, and your feedback asking him to bring back that deal maybe later on this month could be something he might implement. He actually brings stuff up with the publishers because of people requesting things.

Caerith

Having a similar discussion in the IOS thread. My response is same here. I will never buy freemium/F2P IAP/consumables/whatever it's called in PC games. I'll spend $15, $20, $30 on a worthy game to support a developer, I'll buy a game on release or wait for a sale, but I will never support F2P practices.

Is it as bad on PC as it is for IOS gaming? Timers/energy meters, multiple currencies, stuff like that?

I could be wrong, but Marvel Heroes looks like it's a free game where you can pay for costumes and characters, but where you can also acquire those costumes and characters through in-game systems if you don't want to pay for anything.

iOS gaming rates at least a five on the "plagues of Egypt" scale.

derFeef

Man if I would make a goty list, Gunslinger would def be in the top 10. Also that PC version of Remember Me would have earned itself a spot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom