• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artofwar420

As always I'm too late, but I feel the need to advertise my glorious "nope" category again. I'm still in the process of categorization, only multi, finished and nope are certain to remain.

It'll never be on sale again.
Nobody bought it :(

IDK, I liked elemental powers, I thought it was redeeming quality of ZZ. *shrugs*

Wait, how do you define the nope category?

cicero

Man if I would make a goty list, Gunslinger would def be in the top 10. Also that PC version of Remember Me would have earned itself a spot too.

I skipped Remember Me during the sale and moved it down on my list of games I was interested in because of the general critical sentiments I read here. Perhaps I was a bit too hasty, it should be cheap enough next holiday sale to check out. From what little I had seen, I had hoped that the highly compelling visuals, concept, and setting would be combined with more environmental freedom instead of a focus on repetitive combat in smallish rooms/corridors.

Jawmuncher

Finished up Rise of the Triad '13 and man does it leave a lot to be desired. For starters, the combat throughout is numbing in repetition. You're mostly going through with two weapons, an infinite ammo MP40 and one of a few explosive launchers, so right there is the first strike against it -- no shotguns. How you can qualify as an FPS without a shotgun is beyond me, damn you Tom Hall. Anyways, that's not entirely damning because explosives are fun, and the game offers a lot of opportunities to explode guys. However, you're effectively fighting against two enemy types in the entire game, and the second doesn't even appear until the last episode. Up to then you're fighting soldiers who all fight the same way, walk straight into line of sight of you and shoot. Sometimes the one you're shooting will always roll after being shot, sometimes the one you're shooting takes a little more damage than the norm, but it's all the same damn thing. It doesn't help that the enemy introduced later doesn't vary it up all that much, I mean imagine playing Doom and the only enemies you fight in the entire game are zombie men, and zombie men with slightly more health. Does that sound like fun? Damn you Tom Hall.

Secondly, game's pretty buggy; it's a regular occurrence for the scripting to break. There were a few times where I just found myself stuck in a level wondering if it was because I couldn't figure something out, or if something failed to trigger the means for progression, and the latter was always the case. During the final boss, despite being an unenjoyable encounter all its own, there was a situation where the boss would just suddenly break into ragdoll while its head would remain in a stationary position, leaving a long Dhalsim-like stretch until the body properly ragdoll phased itself out of the arena, forcing me to restart the fight. This happened twice.

But the one thing I did find interesting about the game was its level design approach and how it took inspiration from platformers, but that was a holdover from the original. Interesting as it was, it's still like playing a game that routinely breaks into Xen. Platforming in first person shooters has almost universally been bad and RotT's is no different, who thought it was a good idea in the first place? Damn you Tom Hall.

I wouldn't recommend this, even at the $3 that I got it for. Just do yourself a favour and play Ultimate Doom again and skip all of Tom Hall's levels.

That's a shame to hear. I grabbed it as well when it was 3 dollars during the sale.
I'll probably still get around to playing it in the future though. Heard it's not very long.

Arthea

Wait, how do you define the nope category?

let's say, you play a game for an hour or so and you think "nope, not gonna play this ever again". It goes to nope category instantly. Or you get a game in a bundle you wouldn't buy or play under any circumstances. Or you play a game and like it, and then get to the section of the game you think : "nope, it's the last thing I would do in my free time".
I like this category because of how selfexplanatory and wide in meaning it is.

That's a shame to hear. I grabbed it as well when it was 3 dollars during the sale.
I'll probably still get around to playing it in the future though. Heard it's not very long.
According to the achievement I got my playthrough was under 4 hours, so yeah it's a pretty quick burn.

eek5

holy smoke, that's some superior pricing.

edited: can someone tell me, if games and dlcs get separate keys, or is it 1 key for a bundle?

Just got it. It's seperate keys for each item and it was a pain in the ass to activate them all because of the way gamersgate "hides" the keys. You have to click twice to get to each key ugh

I wonder why they toned down the blood in Black Flag. In ACIII blood would splatter over your clothes and body while you were fighting, was kind of neat.

Also kind of silly how they keep referring to the outfit I stole at the beginning of the game where I've been wearing crafted costumes for close to 12 hours at this point :D

Arthea

Just got it. It's seperate keys for each item and it was a pain in the ass to activate them all because of the way gamersgate "hides" the keys. You have to click twice to get to each key ugh

Thanks, bought it, I gifted too many JC games already, but what the heck, 2 more won't hurt (><)

oipic

Gosh, I just spent minutes upon minutes scrolling through PC Gamer's 'Best PC games of 2014' feature (about which there was a thread yesterday, for those like me who may have missed it)...

...and in summary, it's a jolly good time to be a PC gamer. So many games, a good number of which look wonderful. Please give me store pages so I can wishlist them now.

I look forward to eventually playing some of them in 2015/16 or so.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finished up Rise of the Triad '13 and man does it leave a lot to be desired. For starters, the combat throughout is numbing in repetition. You're mostly going through with two weapons, an infinite ammo MP40 and one of a few explosive launchers, so right there is the first strike against it -- no shotguns. How you can qualify as an FPS without a shotgun is beyond me, damn you Tom Hall.
Original didn't have a shotgun, either.

Arthea

Gosh, I just spent minutes upon minutes scrolling through PC Gamer's 'Best PC games of 2014' feature (about which there was a thread yesterday, for those like me who may have missed it)...

...and in summary, it's a jolly good time to be a PC gamer. So many games, a good number of which look wonderful. Please give me store pages so I can wishlist them now.

I look forward to eventually playing some of them in 2015/16 or so.
RPG section doesn't include Trails games? How could they? :(
If only everything that's planned will be released in 2014... We'll drown in good games.

I bought it but only because I had the ScotRail song stuck in my head.

A fair enough reason.

For the record, the game is actually pretty easy. The difficulty comes through having to go through long and boring section over and over and staying interested enough to not make mistakes. When you inevitably do mess up because of the huge hitboxes and not paying attention you have to do the whole thing over again.

No thanks. For what it is, Castle of Illusion is the much better game.

RPG section doesn't include Trails games? How could they? :(
If only everything that's planned will be released in 2014... We'll drown in good games.

Already tweeted them. Also Beyond Good and Evil 2...told them they are dreaming. But otherwise yeah, good times ahead.

Jawmuncher

The Long Live The Queen cards are so great. Shame that the Emoticons and Backgrounds suck. Here's a few of my favorites.

360fx360f
360fx360f
360fx360f

Arthea

A fair enough reason.

Already tweeted them. Also Beyond Good and Evil 2...told them they are dreaming. But otherwise yeah, good times ahead.

you are the champion of fairness and fun!
except G&E2, believe! :)

We need Trails to sell gangbusters. Then Falcom will get a grip and release everything they have on PC on steam, won't they? I mean Xseed will, but with Falcom's blessing.

The Long Live The Queen cards are so great.
They are indeed. Death scenes are made more creepy and hilarious by how cute these are. (><)
I'm somewhat bad at dying in lltQueen, so far managed only 5 types of death and I have no idea how to proceed with others. I already played it for 10 hours too!

Caerith

The Long Live The Queen cards are so great. Shame that the Emoticons and Backgrounds suck. Here's a few of my favorites.
It's a great game, glad it won the SteamGAF GOTY "Highest APS" award, but I find it hard to replay after getting a really good ending (
naval victory, married Banion at Brin's suggestion, everyone loved me
). I mean, that's my canon-- like how when I played TWD, the choices I made and ending I got (
Lee marries Carly in the space station, Clementine grows up to be a teacher in the off-world colonies after the survivors abandon Earth
) are canon to me and playing it again just feels disingenuous. I eventually will, just to get all the lore, but it's hard to get a happy ending and then feel motivated to start a new game and find new horrible ways to die.

fokkusu

After win PM for DLC code.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Just Cause 2 -- MB-23AAB976FC9AAB59 - Taken by _hekk05. 3 entrants total.

t1389004209z1.png

Arthea

It's a great game, glad it won the SteamGAF GOTY "Highest APS" award, but I find it hard to replay after getting a really good ending (
naval victory, married Banion at Brin's suggestion, everyone loved me
). I mean, that's my canon-- like how when I played TWD, the choices I made and ending I got (
Lee marries Carly in the space station, Clementine grows up to be a teacher in the off-world colonies after the survivors abandon Earth
) are canon to me and playing it again just feels disingenuous. I eventually will, just to get all the lore, but it's hard to get a happy ending and then feel motivated to start a new game and find new horrible ways to die.

But most of lltQueen fun is in getting different ways to crown or to die...
I feel motivated to find those different ways, and after first 5-6 times it gets much harder. As finding the right combination of skills and triggers without loosing too early or getting exactly the same outcome gets time consuming.

There were a few parts where you were pretty much forced to. The ending sequence was particularly bad in this aspect.

No. You were never forced to use them. It was even easier if you didnt even used them. The sniper sequence at the end was Trial & Error but doable. The same for the Server room.

You just have to hide.

I hate that server room in Mirror's Edge, took me forever to figure out how to run past those fuckers.

Pretty easy. Run right from the start and beat the guy on the stairs. Stay there and wait till the guy with the big MG comes and beat him. Then run around and beat the other guys.

Arthea

About Gala store.
I tried to link my gala profile to it, but it somehow failed and there is no option to edit it or relink, so I can't use gala points at all. Is there any way around it? Or will I need to create a new store account?

About Gala store.
I tried to link my gala profile to it, but it somehow failed and there is no option to edit it or relink, so I can't use gala points at all. Is there any way around it? Or will I need to create a new store account?
Email their support, they are quite nice.

Caerith

But most of lltQueen fun is in getting different ways to crown or to die...
I feel motivated to find those different ways, and after first 5-6 times it gets much harder. As finding the right combination of skills and triggers without loosing too early or getting exactly the same outcome gets time consuming.
I got my first win via spreadsheet. I knew what events happened and how they affected my moods (which affected my classes) and plotted out the best way to reach certain breaking points in a certain amount of time. I didn't need to do this, of course, but I wanted to romance
Brin
and live long enough to see the outcome (meaning, until coronation) and that left me only a few choices. Couldn't get that romance if I didn't dance with them, couldn't dance with them if a certain someone else was at the dance, but making them not be at the dance would shut out a lot of other things, leaving the best course one of
naval strategy
, which meant that I'd need to prepare well in advance for that victory to have any chance of success. I'm trying to avoid needing that level of planning for future victories...

... but still, death and failure make for a terrible carrot.

About Gala store.

This won't answer your question, but gala points are practically useless. Whether they can be used, and how much discount they can be used for, varies from item to item, and it's usually, like, Activision-tier discounts.

Anteater

Pretty easy. Run right from the start and beat the guy on the stairs. Stay there and wait till the guy with the big MG comes and beat him. Then run around and beat the other guys.

I think I just jumped on a couch and run up the stairs behind the dudes to avoid everything, didn't need to fight.

Hasney

Missed the GOTY votes, I tend to not view the thread as much during sale time as it moves so quick and I end up missing a ton of posts so I'd probably say kick it off after the sale next year. Might not get as lost.

Need to get back into Long Live The Queen. Probably will be straight after Rayman Legends.

Did they take the ability to role out of Black Flag? That was in ACIII right or am I imagining things? When the grenadiers drop grenades I have to walk away instead of rolling.

Enjoying the game quite a bit though. Beautiful locales and jungles, amusing lead, non-animus elements that are surprisingly clever, and so on. Boating remains fun and was obviously fleshed out quite a bit although there is one element that bugs me. Specifically when you're fighting multiple ships at once and you get one to the state where they can be boarded. Starting the makes the other ships suddenly stop attacking and it's very silly. You also have to do this with every ship so in large battles it can get tedious.

Xanathus

I bought FUEL from Gamersgate last year but they haven't handed out the keys because FUEL's publisher aren't giving out keys until they've finished making changes to the game, presumably making it Steamworks. Should I get the refund or just leave it? I'm leaning towards leaving it since it was like a dollar.
Hello

Unfortunately, the publisher decided to not hand out more keys for this game until they made some changes to it. There is no timeline for when these changes will be complete. I can issue an immediate full refund in blue coins. You can use blue coins for any purchase in our shop, without the need of credit card processing. Shall I initiate such a refund?

Kind regards,

Michael (Psyringe)
- GamersGate Moderator
- GamersGate Support

jediyoshi

I bought FUEL from Gamersgate last year but they haven't handed out the keys because FUEL's publisher aren't giving out keys until they've finished making changes to the game, presumably making it Steamworks. Should I get the refund or just leave it? I'm leaning towards leaving it since it was like a dollar.

Oh wow, had codemasters publicly mentioned considering porting FUEL to steamworks before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom