• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

hmm so I just have to keep playing (dying) until my character grows and gets overpowered?

Yup!

I suck at this kind of games (confirmed by Valdis :D ) and went like this:
1) omfg this is hard
2) omfg I got to the second area and died in the first second
3) ok, i'm gonna grind a little just so I can easily explore the first area
4) ok, the first boss is killed and the first area is cleared, let's try the second
5) well, it's way easier than what I remembered

And from there I was actually skilled enough to find my way around without crying in fear every two rooms.

Just use as soon as you can the double jump and flying skills (I saw someone suggesting the dash, but I never, not even once, used it, so I don't know) and then up your basic (HP/armor/attack/etc.) values.
Or, if you want a more "organic" growth, up whatever you want to unlock everything and when you feel you need some boost, grind for a couple of times the areas you feel fine clearing and upgrade HP/armor/attack/etc.

Smash88

Banned
If anyone from Codemasters is reading this please bring Dirt 1 back.

I really don't want to pay $160 to get a copy on Steam. (Not that I ever would.)

Li Kao

hmm so I just have to keep playing (dying) until my character grows and gets overpowered?

Well it is but... there is two side to the same coin. In theory you can simply brute force your way through the game by grinding, sure. And it doesn't sound much fun said like that. But... In reality, as a gamer and not a mindless robot, you try your best each time you do a run through the castle. That's a difference to take into consideration.
So yes, Rogue Legacy is a grind-fest, but if you like what the game has to offer, non, it does rarely feels like work.

In fact, the most boring the game has been for me is strangely when you are near its end.

Copons

Yeah Rogue Legacy is basically just a big grind-fest. There used to be exploits that let you kill bosses easily but they've been patched out :(

Everytime I read that RL is a grinding game, I can't avoid thinking that this way people may think of it like a JRPG where you just gatling-push X to level up.

Actually, while grinding is clearly an important part of the game, it CAN be challenging.
Of course if you keep roaming in the first area, it fastly become a JRPG kind of grind...

liezryou

Everytime I read that RL is a grinding game, I can't avoid thinking that this way people may think of it like a JRPG where you just gatling-push X to level up.

Actually, while grinding is clearly an important part of the game, it CAN be challenging.
Of course if you keep roaming in the first area, it fastly become a JRPG kind of grind...

Well the grind isn't absolutely necessary, i have seen people livestream a full game run through with a first character (no upgrade character). But those guys are like super pros.

Caerith

No.

You'll get it in time, but you should focus on learning the enemies and improving your own mobility. Grinding lets you take more hits and kill things in fewer hits, but if you're taking more hits than you need to then you're in for an uphill battle.

The gold you do get, though? It's best spent on vault and dash runes (double-jumping is great, but triple- or quadruple-jumping is awesome), and on better weapons and armor, and then on your base stats (HP, strength, defense) and upgrades to the core classes (paladin, barbarian king/queen, assassin, etc).

Oh, and don't go nuts unlocking stuff in the manor. It's counterproductive to have a ton of classes in the random pool too early-- better to master the core classes than/then to have a different one every time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did they take the ability to role out of Black Flag? That was in ACIII right or am I imagining things? When the grenadiers drop grenades I have to walk away instead of rolling.

Rolling is contextual; it's one of the dodge animations.

You can either get better at the game or you can level up your character. In reality you will do both at the same time.

Best advice is to go straight for the Hokage unlock. With that you will be able to one shot a lot of the first enemies which makes everything so much easier.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, I disagree on grinding.

Sure you need to spend a few to improve your castle, but to say that you need to be "overpowered" is hilarious and probably shows impatience than anything. Hell, an upgraded castle with an unskilled player will still die a lot.

Rather than grinding, I call it trial and error. You die because you didn't know how the enemies would act first hand.

Divius

I've been totally addicted to Rogue Legacy ever since I got it, put 24 hours into it so far. Went into NG+ at the perfect time, the bump in difficulty was perfect for me at the time.

_hekk05

Banned
I'm still stuck at lvl 2 for teleglitch. Slightly better than my risk of rain anyway, which is stuck at lvl 1.

I need to practice my knifing more.

Seanspeed

Banned
So what makes Rogue Legacy fun? I've heard lots about how its difficult, grindy and I've seen videos of it, but what keeps people playing? The sense of satisfaction from overcoming challenges and generally improving is an obvious one, but that's not enough for me on its own. Dark Souls was incredibly satisfying but it also had meaty combat, great RPG mechanics, incredible art style, amazing enemies and thought-provoking level design. What other factors makes Rogue Legacy worth playing?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No. You were never forced to use them. It was even easier if you didnt even used them. The sniper sequence at the end was Trial & Error but doable. The same for the Server room.

You just have to hide.
I managed to beat the whole game without using weapons, so I know it's doable. I just mean that those sections weren't meant to be played like that, or at least that's the impression I got. It's no fun to engage in hand-to-hand combat with enemies, but it's even worse to shoot them, and in the server room you are forced to choose between either of those options. To me that totally breaks the flow of the game, which should have been nothing more than free running and platforming.

That's the only complaint I have against this awesome game, aside from the story which I think completely sucks.

So what makes Rogue Legacy fun? I've heard lots about how its difficult, grindy and I've seen videos of it, but what keeps people playing? The sense of satisfaction from overcoming challenges and generally improving is an obvious one, but that's not enough for me on its own. Dark Souls was incredibly satisfying but it also had meaty combat, great RPG mechanics, incredible art style, amazing enemies and thought-provoking level design. What other factors makes Rogue Legacy worth playing?

The game has excellent, super responsive controls and is quite fast. The powerup combinations are near limitless and all the classes range from funny to super useful so it doesn't matter which class you get. And no matter how grindy it might be, you still progress after EVERY try.

Also the minibosses are great and there are surprises around every corner of the world. What's not to like?

This is the impression I got from what I played of it, and what some GAFfers said too. That's probably the reason why I didn't enjoy the game.

Your character never gets overpowered. You just keep getting better while the stat upgrades do somewhat help too (but the equipment/skills are the real thing)

Seanspeed

Banned
The game has excellent, super responsive controls and is quite fast. The powerup combinations are near limitless and all the classes range from funny to super useful so it doesn't matter which class you get. And no matter how grindy it might be, you still progress after EVERY try.

Also the minibosses are great and there are surprises around every corner of the world. What's not to like?
Yea, just curious. Watching videos doesn't really seem to make it clear what separates this game so much from others. I figured there was more to it that words might be better at explaining.

They said they were getting rid of GFWL in Dirt 3 I think, not sure if they said anything about the other titles.
I can't see any word from Asobo on the matter but the Steam community is surprisingly active. Someone is making unofficial patches for the game.

Multiplayer in Fuel is P2P allegedly but uses GFWL for match making so who knows if we'll be able to connect the dots after shut down.

Lain

How quick is WB at discounting the Batman games? I'm debating if I should grab the Season Pass for Origins on GMG for 7,11€ before the deal ends, or wait a future 75% off if they are usually quick at at giving higher discounts.

PriitV

nt8rxzR.png
RQyFLOH.png
I now have 600 games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How quick is WB at discounting the Batman games? I'm debating if I should grab the Season Pass for Origins on GMG for 7,11€ before the deal ends, or wait a future 75% off if they are usually quick at at giving higher discounts.

The GOTY Edition will be out in a few months.

Arkham Asylum: August 2009
GOTY Edition: March 2010

Arkham City: October 2011
GOTY Edition: May 2012

You can expect a 75% off sale before then.

Edit: For perspective, the game isn't even three months old yet has already been half off at several stores, so you won't have to wait long.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Your character never gets overpowered. You just keep getting better while the stat upgrades do somewhat help too (but the equipment/skills are the real thing)
That may be true, but I still felt the game was boring, plus I didn't want to keep grinding in order to get "better". It doesn't help that the game was barely playable to me with a 360 pad.

Jawmuncher

It's a great game, glad it won the SteamGAF GOTY "Highest APS" award, but I find it hard to replay after getting a really good ending (
naval victory, married Banion at Brin's suggestion, everyone loved me
). I mean, that's my canon-- like how when I played TWD, the choices I made and ending I got (
Lee marries Carly in the space station, Clementine grows up to be a teacher in the off-world colonies after the survivors abandon Earth
) are canon to me and playing it again just feels disingenuous. I eventually will, just to get all the lore, but it's hard to get a happy ending and then feel motivated to start a new game and find new horrible ways to die.

The ending I got was pretty meh all around.
basically you survived, so I need to get another playthrough in. It really is fun though. If anything it's the kind of game you can go always go back to after time has passed.

Caerith

You're not kidding about surprises. Loved the first time I encountered
a mimic directly on top of a real chest
. Nice try, game. Nice try.

Futureman

I have a general Steam question...

so I bought Rayman Origins on my Mac the other day. The company that did the port, Feral Interactive, says that a PS3 controller is compatible.

whenever I try to use a PS3 controller, the directional buttons work, select is mapped to the jump button, and nothing else does anything.

I emailed support and they are asking me to find Rayman installed on my computer so I can reset the controller configuration file or something.... but Rayman isn't on my Mac?

when you install a game, is it not actually on your computer because it launches through Steam?? is there some way to reset a controller configuration file in Steam?

There's lots of action/platformers out there, though.

There is, it is just that rogue legacy is a particular fun example of one. It is like trying to explain why Mario is a better platformer than Psycho fox. In both games you run and jump, it is just that in Mario all the elements come together better.

In Rogue Legacy you have great controls, lots of options (dashes, double jumps, flight etc), a sense of discovery on each run as you find new treasures, the fun of the different traits, challenging bosses, but also bosses that can be beaten without getting hit if you are skilled (and no you don't "need" to grind at all, it just reduces the skill required).

It all just works, for at least 10-12 hours anyway.

alekth

I emailed support and they are asking me to find Rayman installed on my computer so I can reset the controller configuration file or something.... but Rayman isn't on my Mac?

when you install a game, is it not actually on your computer because it launches through Steam?? is there some way to reset a controller configuration file in Steam?

Try ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, I think that's where Steam stuff goes by default to on a mac.

I have a general Steam question...

so I bought Rayman Origins on my Mac the other day. The company that did the port, Feral Interactive, says that a PS3 controller is compatible.

whenever I try to use a PS3 controller, the directional buttons work, select is mapped to the jump button, and nothing else does anything.

I don't know how it works on Mac or all the path but go to the Steam folder, then Steamapps and you should have a folder named Rayman Legends.

Hasney

Decided to take a peek at gog.com as a long shot to see if Princess Maker 2 was on there. I prefer it to LLTQ, but looks like I'm out of luck. Think that never got an official release in English anyway if I remember the description on Home of the Underdogs back in the day.

Oreoleo

I'm still stuck at lvl 2 for teleglitch. Slightly better than my risk of rain anyway, which is stuck at lvl 1.

I need to practice my knifing more.

Man Teleglitch is so good, I wish so many people weren't sleeping on it. Reminds me of Super Metroid, somehow, even though it plays like a less frantic Hotline Miami.

I've only been able to get to level 3 once. Crafted a nail gun but couldn't find any nails to use with it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom