• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

I bought Bioshock for $5 on Steam and never played it on PC because I beat it on 360. I got 1000/1000 on 360 for Assassin's Creed so I don't know if I'll play it on PC, but I might buy it for $5 just to have it incase I ever want to dabble in it in the future.

Volcynika

Blizzard said:
Aww hell naw, it's getting to the level of "Random fairly high profile game for $5? I might as well, right? I probably won't lose my Steam games due to some autoglitch in the system, so I'll just spend $5 more...and $10 more..."

I may convince myself not to get Assassin's Creed though. I still haven't even finished Mirror's Edge. :lol I actually tried to play the last few real levels after messing with it and modding and so forth, and got stuck in a giant room with at least two waves of cops. And I'm not even to the fabled server room yet!

Jeez, you're slow as molasses with Mirror's Edge.

And don't be a nub acting like Steam reduces your resistance to temptation! If you want it at that price, get it. Otherwise, no big deal.

randomwab

Hinomura said:
"Offer available in North, Central, and South America only."

9bheg1.gif

Anyone wanna gift me and I'll Paypal them the $5?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The thing is that AC, though I really loved it, is totally useless as a replayable sandbox because no matter what chapter you load to replay, you have to sit through Al-Mualim's longass exposition before you get to run around. Such a terrible design decision IMO... the conversations were great the first time when you were invested in the story, but now I just want to hop into jerusalem and kill some guards damnit!

Wab, I think I could do that for ya if you want.

Twig

Banned
Zzoram said:
I bought Bioshock for $5 on Steam and never played it on PC because I beat it on 360. I got 1000/1000 on 360 for Assassin's Creed so I don't know if I'll play it on PC, but I might buy it for $5 just to have it incase I ever want to dabble in it in the future.
You got all the flags?

WHAT

MANG

obscenities abound

(I own both Bioshock and Assassin's Creed on 360, played them to my heart's content, and now own both on Steam, purchased for $5 each. I am weak. Redemption: I already decided I'll wait for the PC release for both Bioshock 2 and Assassin's Creed 2!)

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
Jeez, you're slow as molasses with Mirror's Edge.

And don't be a nub acting like Steam reduces your resistance to temptation! If you want it at that price, get it. Otherwise, no big deal.
Hey, I got distracted trying to manage a modding scene!

And Steam does make things EASIER to buy, especially since it optionally saves your credit card info now. Having something say "Hey, click three buttons if you want to buy this game for $5" means I'm more like to say "Eh, I might try it some day." :p I have managed to successfully resist some sales on genres I'm not really interested in, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I bought Hitman: Blood Money like that. I'll remember I have it a year from now and have an unexpected fun weekend!

Miau

Neo Member
Damn regional restrictions. It was the same thing during Direct2Drive 5th anniversary, most of the deals I wanted were not available in my country.

I want to play Assassins Creed. :(
especially at that price:p

Zzoram

TheOneGuy said:
You got all the flags?

WHAT

MANG

obscenities abound

(I own both Bioshock and Assassin's Creed on 360, played them to my heart's content, and now own both on Steam, purchased for $5 each. I am weak. Redemption: I already decided I'll wait for the PC release for both Bioshock 2 and Assassin's Creed 2!)

Yeah, I would listen to hours upon hours of podcasts while climbing up every single building in a systematic search pattern.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
This regional stuff is bullshit. If it were available in Europe, I'd bite. If it's like this though, I gotta say no.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Peronthious said:
It's not the best port ever, and if your hardware is older than the past year or so I wouldn't recommend it. I got it during the $5 D2D sale and it's a bit clunky, but it works fine. Not the worst port in recent memory, that honor goes to Mercenaries 2.
I paid $5 Mercs 2 on the PC as shipping filler and now I'm wondering if I should have just paid for the shipping.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
At 5$ I would easily recommend Assassin's Creed. I was very pleased with it at 20$. It looks gorgeous on PC and runs really really well. Also, it plays fine with mouse and keyboard, if not better due to how easy it is to direct the character with the mouse.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
wmat said:
Except if you want to quit the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM
They did not create a suspension of disbelief or a persistent game interface or an illusion within an illusion, or whatever it is they thought they were doing with these multiple layers of reality/menus (I actually think I understand what they were trying to do) because I am rapidly hitting ctrl-alt-delete, alt-f4 or alt tab to shut the freaking game down. For future reference my commitment to your vision ends when I don't want to play the game anymore.

Javaman

SapientWolf said:
I paid $5 Mercs 2 on the PC as shipping filler and now I'm wondering if I should have just paid for the shipping.

That dog is so bad it doesn't even load on my XP install, but runs great on Windows7. Unfortunately source games don't run on the latter with my setup.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Odd. Source games are the one thing that seems to always run flawlessly no matter what happens to my machine, even if other games are whimpering with pain.

EDIT: Has the Killing Floor free weekend been hyped in this thread yet?

So trying it out. Preloading now.

Costanza

Banned
I found a copy of Red Faction Guerilla at Target for 10 bucks.. can you register it on Steam like the Saints Row 2 retail version?

Smash88

Banned
Costanza said:
anyone? I might return it if this isn't the case.

No you can't. Games for Windows Live.

I payed $45 for the game, and love it and is totally worth it for the PC. I wish Canada had deals like the USA does.

Firestorm

Smash88 said:
No you can't. Games for Windows Live.

I payed $45 for the game, and love it and is totally worth it for the PC. I wish Canada had deals like the USA does.
GFW Live isn't what stops that. After all, Dawn of War II is GFWL and requires Steam to run.

But no, you can't tie it to Steam like that.

Costanza

Banned
ahh, lame. I figured it'd be the same as SR2 since they have the same developer/publisher. I hate having PC games not registered/redownloadable from Steam.

I still kinda want to play this.. only made it a few hours into my gamefly copy when it came out before getting sidetracked.

Fredescu

Costanza said:
ahh, lame. I figured it'd be the same as SR2 since they have the same developer/publisher. I hate having PC games not registered/redownloadable from Steam.

I still kinda want to play this.. only made it a few hours into my gamefly copy when it came out before getting sidetracked.
My retail Red Faction: Guerilla was automatically registered in Impulse. I just happened upon it by mistake, but it looks like I can redownload it from there if I want to. If that's the functionality you want, download Impulse and try it.

markot

Banned
Fredescu said:
My retail Red Faction: Guerilla was automatically registered in Impulse. I just happened upon it by mistake, but it looks like I can redownload it from there if I want to. If that's the functionality you want, download Impulse and try it.
Hay I just added my GGate purchase to Impulse of RF:G >.<!

Wow! Proper download speeds!

I just finished pre-loading Killing Floor for the free weekend starting this Thursday. There's definitely going to be a sale during or after, hopefully 50% off or more.

Mrbob

Yeah I'm hoping for a Killing Floor sale too, got the game preloaded for the free trial to test out.

Also, what is the deal with Torchlight? My steam blotter if filled with people buying it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My Steam account got hijacked and I was wondering how long it usually took for the account to get recovered. Apparently Valve CS isn't the best in the world. :/

Archie said:
My Steam account got hijacked and I was wondering how long it usually took for the account to get recovered. Apparently Valve CS isn't the best in the world. :/
Took them 2 days for me. It went well.

Just make sure you send a pic of any game with the CDKey on it (i sent Orange Box), and stick a little paper near it with your Steam username and email.

Twig

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah I'm hoping for a Killing Floor sale too, got the game preloaded for the free trial to test out.

Also, what is the deal with Torchlight? My steam blotter if filled with people buying it.
Diablo-esque from the dudes who made Fate.

It looks pretty Sweet if you're into that sort of thing. (I am but I'm poor. ;_;)

Archie said:
This has happened to my friend many times. His issues always are solved within 12 hours (maybe less).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The last retail game I bought for Steam was Half-Life 2 in 2004 and I know I don't have the box for that any more. :lol I'm guessing since I input all my CC info I should be fine, though.

Buttonbasher said:
This has happened to my friend many times. His issues always are solved within 12 hours (maybe less).
"Many times"? o_O

Zzoram

theMrCravens said:
Took them 2 days for me. It went well.

Just make sure you send a pic of any game with the CDKey on it (i sent Orange Box), and stick a little paper near it with your Steam username and email.

What if you only bought Steam games through Steam? Can't they check transaction history to see all the games were bought by a credit card with the same name, and send proof that you are that person?

Buttonbasher said:
At least 3 times. I'll check with him for an exact number. He has 183 games according to Steam. People want in on that.
Tell him to make his profile private and confirm his email address in Steam settings. That should stop it from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom