• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestorm said:
Yeah, I've been hoping for a good Steam price on STALKER or 50%+ off on Red Faction Guerilla.

Also, is anyone else really bad with making decisions even when not drunk at night? I bought Civ4 at like 1AM and wasn't really thinking. Wonder if I'll even play it. It's too damn easy on Steam. Why oh why did I save my credit card info on there x.x

I sure as hell hope stalker isn't on sale. That game on been on sale for $5 more than pretty much any other game I can remember.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
hadar said:
I'm a bit confused about the original Dawn of War games, are all the expansions needed or is there one that's considered the best? Halp :(

Dawn of War: Has a single player campaign where you play as Space Marines, has skirmish and multiplayer for the other 3 races (Chaos, Orks, Eldar).

Winter Assault: Requires Dawn of War. Has a single player campaign where you primarily play as the new race (The Imperial Guard) and has little sub missions where you play the other races.

Dark Crusade: Stand-alone, doesn't require any prior DOW. This has a giant Risk style dynamic campaign that lets you play as any of the now 7 races (Necrons and Tau are added). In multiplayer you can only play as the 2 new races unless you own DOW & WA. If you want only one DOW game, this is the one to get.

Soulstorm: Stand-alone, doesn't require any prior DOW. Same Risk style campaign as DC, and adds another 2 races (Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar). Different developer on this pack and it's considerably lower quality then the others. Like DC, you need to own the other packs to play those races in multiplayer otherwise you're limited to the 2 this adds.

Thomper

Seems Red Faction Guerilla is now 25% off. That's... pretty good for a new game, sure, but for a weekend deal after this kind of week, it feels meh.

Zzoram

Crap, I thought the $55 was going to last so I didn't immediately pre-order and waited. Ugh. $15 extra for the sound track, 3 items and a $7 DLC dungeon doesn't seem worth it for Deluxe Edition. Why not just buy the $50 version then pay $7 for the DLC?

Zzoram said:
Crap, I thought the $55 was going to last so I didn't immediately pre-order and waited. Ugh. $15 extra for the sound track, 3 items and a $7 DLC dungeon doesn't seem worth it for Deluxe Edition. Why not just buy the $50 version then pay $7 for the DLC?

The really nice box?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thomper said:
Seems Red Faction Guerilla is now 25% off. That's... pretty good for a new game, sure, but for a weekend deal after this kind of week, it feels meh.

I got the complete pack (now $44.97) for $40 from the preorder deal, so I don't mind so much, but I think $30 for it is a good deal. Granted, I haven't touched it yet (got Batman AA the same day, barely 25% through THAT).

Hitmeneer

First I couldn't buy CoH: Gold on D2D 5$ deals (region locked) and now I missed the Steam sale :(. Guess I have to wait a bit longer on CoH......

Volcynika

"To celebrate Gamespot's "All Time Greatest Game Hero" award to Half-Life's Dr. Gordon Freeman we are offering all Half-Life games at 55.8% off! "

Heh.

MNC

Volcynika said:
"To celebrate Gamespot's "All Time Greatest Game Hero" award to Half-Life's Dr. Gordon Freeman we are offering all Half-Life games at 55.8% off! "

Heh.
Wait, what, really?

Volcynika

MNC said:
Wait, what, really?

Yeah

Half-Life's Dr. Gordon Freeman Wins Gamespot's "All Time Greatest Game Hero" Contest
October 16, 2009, 1:39 pm - Valve - Press Release
To celebrate Gamespot's "All Time Greatest Game Hero" award to Half-Life's Dr. Gordon Freeman we are offering all Half-Life games at 55.8% off!

There are other great game heroes, and we're gonna let you play with them, but Gordon Freeman is THE BEST GAME HERO OF ALL TIME at least according to 55.8% of the gaming public - thank you to all who voted.

Firestorm

wtf happened to GFNW
edit: wait i think this is different from gamefaqs' contest

but seriously. doing it wrong.

edit2: XD It's the exact percentage that he won by? Needed more votes :(

Qwell

How is the performance on Red Faction Guerrila anyways? I already beat the PS3 version, but I'm getting back into PC gaming and wouldn't mind playing it again especially if it runs well on the PC. For a frame of reference Saints Row 2 PC runs around 24fps regardless of my settings 800x600 up to 1920x1200 (poorly programmed, but still fun)

benjipwns

Banned
It runs much better than the SR2 port. It only ever got choppy for me when I was making everything in sight blow up and collapse.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
firehawk12 said:
Anyone know anything about Eufloria? Looks like Pixel Junk Eden at first glance.

Eufloria used to be known as "Dyson" and was made originally as an entry to TIGSource's procedural games competition. You can find the website for the game here, complete with a downloadable compo entry.

NOTE: As far as I am aware, this is the latest version of their TIGSource Compo Entry and should *NOT* be used to estimate the quality, length, core mechanics, or general polish of the retail game. However, if you want to know sort of what they're shooting for it should give you a decent idea. Also note they say there will be an official demo next week, so you may want to hold out for that - or even compare the two to see how a month-long project has developed into a full blown indie title.

One of the developers even posts here, so you'd be supporting a GAFfer if you picked it up.

Anyways, it's an RTS where you have to take over planets with Dyson Trees (hence the original name). You plant seeds that become generators spores, which are functionally your "units" that can defend, attack, or germinate other planets. And all of the art is precedurally generated on the fly, so that's pretty cool. Definitly give the demo a shot when it comes out, if nothing else.

squinters

astigmatic
I grabbed Half-Life 1 because of the sale only to realize the Half Life anthology was 2 bucks extra with 3 more games. Not like I need any more games, but the price is so appealing.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
red faction guerilla on a steam weekend deal is £26, while amazon is selling it for £18 (all platforms too).

we've got a long way to go yet.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Alright, SR2 just crashed, wrote all sorts of garbage into the framebuffer and crashed the graphics driver. This piece of shit is definitely never getting on my harddrive again.
I hope my box is okay after this. The computer completely froze up, with a bit of bad luck, I have corrupted data on the HDD now.

Fuck this sale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Campster said:
Eufloria used to be known as "Dyson" and was made originally as an entry to TIGSource's procedural games competition. You can find the website for the game here, complete with a downloadable compo entry.

NOTE: As far as I am aware, this is the latest version of their TIGSource Compo Entry and should *NOT* be used to estimate the quality, length, core mechanics, or general polish of the retail game. However, if you want to know sort of what they're shooting for it should give you a decent idea. Also note they say there will be an official demo next week, so you may want to hold out for that - or even compare the two to see how a month-long project has developed into a full blown indie title.

One of the developers even posts here, so you'd be supporting a GAFfer if you picked it up.

Anyways, it's an RTS where you have to take over planets with Dyson Trees (hence the original name). You plant seeds that become generators spores, which are functionally your "units" that can defend, attack, or germinate other planets. And all of the art is precedurally generated on the fly, so that's pretty cool. Definitly give the demo a shot when it comes out, if nothing else.

I don't know if it's me, since I'm on Windows 7, but the Dyson demo doesn't seem to work for me. It's unfortunate that the demo for the game itself will come out after the discount ends though. Smart marketing I guess. :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Firestorm said:
Did you already have Portal and Team Fortress 2?
Played through Portal on the 360, had no interest in going through it again. I want to wait for another of those free-to-play weekends for Team Fortress 2 to decide whether I like it or not.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How well has the original Half-Life aged? I've never played the first or second but for five bucks....

Polk

Lone_Prodigy said:
56% off... what an odd number. Too bad it doesn't include CS Source.

I remember when HL1 was like $1. :D
It not as odd if you check how many votes Gordon Freeman got.

Has anyone done a store by store and edition by edition breakdown of DA: Origins, and the various preorder bonuses? I'm trying to figure out which version to buy, and from where.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
cartman414 said:
Has anyone done a store by store and edition by edition breakdown of DA: Origins, and the various preorder bonuses? I'm trying to figure out which version to buy, and from where.

All I know is that I saved $10 on the deluxe edition by buying it on Steam compared to other places.

Twig

Banned
Daigoro said:
im waiting for one too. i bet we get one around the holidays this year.
If nothing else, there's always the HUGE after-Christmas sale.

I hope I have some money by then. ):

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ermac said:
How well has the original Half-Life aged? I've never played the first or second but for five bucks....

I replay Half-Life every other year or so and I just replayed it this year. I will probably do another run through it again before the end of the year. It is my opinion that the game aged like a fine wine.

It's 6.50$ for Half-Life 1 and expansions, do you really even need to ask?

Steeven

Hitmeneer said:
First I couldn't buy CoH: Gold on D2D 5$ deals (region locked) and now I missed the Steam sale :(. Guess I have to wait a bit longer on CoH......

It's 5 euro's at your local retailer too... For quite some time. So no excuse, go buy it goddamnit. CoH is awesome.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Daigoro said:
a commercial on a machinima posted on youtube? wtf is this crap?

couldn't sit through 5 seconds of that vid anyways.
That's the beginning of a playthrough of Half-Life. You could have turned the sound off.

rezuth

Javaman said:
At this point, I doubt it's ever coming out. They've been saying "this" year for years now.
They have been showing a steady line of production during the time though. The trailers they released made it seem pretty much done.

Fredescu

Agent Ironside said:
Hows the Red Faction Guerilla performance on PC?
It's good. There are still frame rate dips during huge destruction, so perhaps not as good as it could have been, but I'm 20 hours in and haven't had any problems. 5.1 sound is broken at the moment though. There's supposed to be a patch on the way for it, but I'd hold out if you primarily use 5.1 sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom