• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!

Fix urls in chat windows sometimes not being clickable

Fixed a case where incorrect achievement or avatar images are displayed

I really am starting to wonder if anyone at valve actually uses their own product.

Slavik81

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why do companies make such awful business decision? Railworks looks so cool but the grossly overpriced DLC kills any interest at all. Do people think that making an already niche game so grossly expensive you have to spend around $200 for it is a viable strategy?
The idea is that for a niche there are very few people whose decision to buy the game is based on the price. Most people are either completely uninterested even if it were free, or are interested enough to pay a premium for it.

Although, I do agree that it's silly that companies put out all this DLC and never give customers the option to simply buy a bundle of all the available DLC for a reasonable price.

If you could buy the entire DLC collection as a pack for $60, that would be vastly more reasonable.

Salaadin

Anyone know why some of my demos arent working from Steam? I installed Win7 and Steam on my new desktop and downloaded the Risen demo and the Titan Quest demo. I click to launch and it says "preparing to launch" and then nothing ever happens. That message fades away and thats that.

Braid Demo and Dragon Age Creator work as well as The Orange Box. Im not sure whats up.

Salaadin

Ok, I read that you need Nvidia PhysX to get Risen to work. Tried that and it did work.

I also downloaded the Titan Quest demo from the website rather than Steam and it worked fine. Miraculously, it also works in Steam now. Go figure.

Salaadin

Can you still mod games if you buy them thru Steam? Im thinking of picking up UT3 or UT2k4 and want to know if the mods are still applied the same way. Basically, do I just access the game files thru steamapps and add in the new maps/mods/mutators/etc?

With that said, Im looking for a good, mindless FPS that isnt TF2. I like TF2 but still want something else. I own UT2k4 for PC but lost the manual and have no way of getting a CD key to install it. Is it still worth playing enough to rebuy or is UT3 the better option now?

OR is there any game similar to UT that is better than both UT2k4 and UT3?

Firehead

Salaadin said:
Can you still mod games if you buy them thru Steam? Im thinking of picking up UT3 or UT2k4 and want to know if the mods are still applied the same way. Basically, do I just access the game files thru steamapps and add in the new maps/mods/mutators/etc?

With that said, Im looking for a good, mindless FPS that isnt TF2. I like TF2 but still want something else. I own UT2k4 for PC but lost the manual and have no way of getting a CD key to install it. Is it still worth playing enough to rebuy or is UT3 the better option now?

OR is there any game similar to UT that is better than both UT2k4 and UT3?
Yes, you can still mod games that you buy on Steam (just no hacking and stuff that'd get you banned in the game itself).
If you already own UT2k4, I'd suggest buying UT3. No sense in buying a game you already own, right?

Dingobloo

Neo Member
Just caved and bought killing floor before that sale ended, wanted to support those guys even if it's in my own tight-ass way.

Also: steam now saves credit card info as well as just general info?

My bank account is gonna be empty.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dingobloo said:
Just caved and bought killing floor before that sale ended, wanted to support those guys even if it's in my own tight-ass way.

Also: steam now saves credit card info as well as just general info?

My bank account is gonna be empty.

Yes, yes it does.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was just on Steam community and noticed I have 200 games. That easily surpasses my boxed collection (many of which have been re-bought on Steam because I hate discs). Damn that is a high number for me though. Most of that is because of those fucking weekend deals that I love.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ogs said:
Back the fuck up, ive just noticed the unlock time for Borderlands is 5pm GMT Friday ? Are they having a bubble bath ?

Um. What? Check your cache man. Unlocks in 1 hour 17 mins.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pre-Purchase Shattered Horizon Now!
October 26, 2009, 11:30 am - Valve - General Announcement
Shattered Horizon is now available for pre-purchase on Steam. This highly anticipated first game from Futuremark Games Studio immerses you in the cold reality of combat in space like no other game before.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
STALKER - 75% Off This Week Only
October 26, 2009, 12:56 pm - Valve - General Announcement
Save 75% when you buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl before November 2nd. Fight for survival in a man-made Hell, while trying to discover the truth behind Chernobyl's sinister past and ominous future. Or jump into intense multiplayer action, supporting up to 32 players.

Doytch

Shard said:
Save 75% when you buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl before November 2nd. Fight for survival in a man-made Hell, while trying to discover the truth behind Chernobyl's sinister past and ominous future. Or jump into intense multiplayer action, supporting up to 32 players.
Again? Give me Clear Sky on sale already!

Vorador

Banned
The last Steam update fucked up my client. Had to reinstall it to make it work, but at least i didn't had to re-download all my stuff.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Shard said:
An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

I love how the game's on open display in stores, yet THQ can't figure out how to get it onto Steam in Germany :lol

..so fucking sad.

Yasser

oh man £3.50 for stalker is a steal, if i didn't already have it on disc i'd be all over that. and yes, put a sale on clear sky dammit!

I wouldnt recommend STALKER on Steam, its missing various graphical effects (well not missing, just not correctly "activated") compared to retail (retail installs a certain file in the save folder which turns on these effects correctly). Shadows and lighting etc look far better.

Firestorm

Shard said:
Sweet. Was waiting for this. Only sale since I built my PC was on D2D. Too bad it's hitting the same time as Borderlands...

Would people who have played it recommend the Complete 2009 Mod or LURK Mod?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009
http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk/

Salaadin

Is Stalker any good? I see the metacritic reviews vary so Im wondering what you guys think.
Also, how big is the file size? I think Im nearing my download cap :(

Doytch

Salaadin said:
Is Stalker any good? I see the metacritic reviews vary so Im wondering what you guys think.
Also, how big is the file size? I think Im nearing my download cap :(
Very good. It's got the best atmosphere of any shooter I've played since SS2.

Everyone should by STALKER now. It's been on sale so many times you're a jerk if you don't buy it this time. An incredible game for an incredible price.

Salaadin

Yeah your right, 5 bucks is practically nothing. Those mods posted above look nice too.
Steam isnt letting me access the page at work right now. I guess Ill have to wait until I get home.

Its possible to buy now and download later, right? Is that 3.0 GB file size on D2D the same it would be on Steam?

RJT

My brother got Stalker with his new laptop, and I loved the game. Didn't finish it though, because of a stupid error when trying to get in one of the last areas. Amazing game, definitely bought at that price...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Probably pickup STALKER, already own it but it's be nice to never need to worry about reinstalling it. Also it seems the Borderlands release date on Steam (UK) has been changed to Friday 0000 rather than 1700.

Woo Stalker! Been looking for this one for a while and I was kinda dissappointed that it wasn't on sale during the THQ week at all. From what I've seen Compete 2009 looked like a good place to start, as long as I keep the difficulty level down.

Shard said:
Pre-Purchase Shattered Horizon Now!
October 26, 2009, 11:30 am - Valve - General Announcement
Shattered Horizon is now available for pre-purchase on Steam. This highly anticipated first game from Futuremark Games Studio immerses you in the cold reality of combat in space like no other game before.
This game looks and sounds freaking awesome, especially in video form (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/raid-on-shattered-horizon/57738?type=flv). For $17 I definitely might bite. It could turn out being another cheap and great game out of nowhere like Killing Floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom