• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scipius

Finally, The Witcher is available on Steam for the whole of Europe.

I'm tempted. Heard good stuff, but as much as I want to support my fellow European developers, something holds me back. Could someone describe The Witcher compared to, say, Oblivion? Screenshots seem to focus on combat, how's the exploration and role-playing?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Scipius said:

I'm tempted. Heard good stuff, but as much as I want to support my fellow European developers, something holds me back. Could someone describe The Witcher compared to, say, Oblivion? Screenshots seem to focus on combat, how's the exploration and role-playing?

goddammit. just as i was gearing up to make dragon age my mammoth winter rpg.

Dynoro

Hmm I can't buy Witcher in the UK - can buy other games today but for Witcher it says there's a probelm with payment. Anyone else get this?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Dynoro said:
Hmm I can't buy Witcher in the UK - can buy other games today but for Witcher it says there's a probelm with payment. Anyone else get this?

I can't buy the game either. Getting an error when trying to pay.

Toby said:
Anyone try The Witcher on Win 7 yet?

Did a quick search, seems people were having problems quite a while ago, I just wondered if it had been fixed yet.

I played through the entire game on the Windows 7 RC with no issues.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Scipius said:

Exploration is pretty good. It's not an open world game though, you have areas you can explore, along with sidequest-oriented setpieces and all that.

Roleplaying in what sense? In the sense of custom character building and shit? Or in the sense of dialogue trees? Witcher is pretty good in all these. Also, there's lots of loot and stuff.

The game tells a good story, you'll find yourself sympathizing with the dude. He's a very strong character.

The game doesn't play itself, it's actually really fucking hard at places. I love that.

Also, there are 2 addon campaigns in the EE.

If you want a textual overview of the game, Wikipedia does a pretty good job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)

Scipius said:

It's structured more like BioWare's outings than Bethesda's, minus the party system. Meaning, there's not one giant, free-roaming overworld, and battles allow for the pausing at any moment to scan the battlefield and plan your attack. Combat-wise, while there is some facsimile of magic, the focus is more on the timing of attacks and the selection of the right fighting style (strong, quick, and group).

The main drawing point of the story is moral ambiguity where choices you make are given the illusion of more real (relative to most current outings) consequences without making them cartoonishly cliche (i.e. here's the clearly evil choice, here's the clearly good choice, and here's the clearly neutral choice), and just the appeal of a strongly defined central character.

It's a very, very good game.

Salaadin

I see this on D2D:

"The Digital Distribution version of The Witcher (v.1.3) is not supported by Vista 64-bit systems."

What about Windows 7 64? Or is this an old issue since I see the D2D version is 1.4 now? I see nothing listed on steam about possible problems.

Salaadin said:
I see this on D2D:

"The Digital Distribution version of The Witcher (v.1.3) is not supported by Vista 64-bit systems."

What about Windows 7 64? Or is this an old issue since I see the D2D version is 1.4 now? I see nothing listed on steam about possible problems.
I'm not really sure what to tell you. I honestly don't remember what version number I'm on, but I bought the boxed Extended Edition copy, patched it one version number, and it ran just fine on Windows 7 RC.

Inkwell

Banned
Well, finally purchased The Witcher. Steam is starting to give me quite a backlog. I usually don't buy a new game until I finish the one I'm playing at that time. Damn you Steam and your sales, and saving my credit card information. *shakes fist*

Scipius

Thanks guys, very helpful info.

I'm going to pass for now, but primarily because I'm getting into Fallout 3 at the moment, so I wouldn't have a chance to play it for a while. My backlog is large enough as it is.

I intend to splurge on the Steam year-end sale though, and this is definitely a title to keep an eye on. I'm just happy it has finally become an option for me.

ghst said:
goddammit. just as i was gearing up to make dragon age my mammoth winter rpg.

Yeah, I was getting swayed by the Dragon Age new game hype as well. I just have to keep in mind how fast PC games can drop in price (just getting back into the PC scene). I hear The Witcher is really good as well, so I'm sure that I'd be much better off playing it now for $20 and then getting Dragon Age at some later point when it also gets cheaper. I just have to remember to stay strong and not go into the Dragon Age thread if DA:O is getting really good user feedback.

Costanza

Banned
Salaadin said:
I see this on D2D:

I bought the Steam version of Witcher and it ran fine on my Vista 64 system a few months ago.

Darklord

Banned
Scipius said:

I'd compare it to something like Kotor. Except you don't have a party(there are other recurring characters though). The Witchers are even a bit Jedi like. It has a lot of combat but a deep story too and great characters.

Yeah, I'm in the UK and having trouble buying it too. Keep getting an error when I choose my method of payment.

Sucks, because I've been waiting for this on steam for nearly 2 years.

Scipius

Tigel said:
Yay! I picked up STALKER for 5 bucks. I hope it's good...

It's very good. Please don't be discouraged by your first encounter with the game. When I first entered the Zone, I was annoyed by the head bobbing and lack of subtitling for the incidental dialogue. Went on the first mission and was promptly killed. Didn't play it for a month after that, then came back.

Once this game clicks, once it bites, it is unlike any other game out there. It has its issues, but it's a masterpiece.

Tigel

Scipius said:
It's very good. Please don't be discouraged by your first encounter with the game. When I first entered the Zone, I was annoyed by the head bobbing and lack of subtitling for the incidental dialogue. Went on the first mission and was promptly killed. Didn't play it for a month after that, then came back.

Once this game clicks, once it bites, it is unlike any other game out there. It has its issues, but it's a masterpiece.
Cool! I heard the atmosphere was quite unique too. Now I must wait at the end of the month to try it out... Damn bandwidth caps >:[

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Damn was thinking about picking up Torchlight but i could spend 20 bucks on Witcher. been waiting for a discount on this for a while. Too bad Dragon Age comes out next week :(

Kosma

Banned
Tigel said:
Cool! I heard the atmosphere was quite unique too. Now I must wait at the end of the month to try it out... Damn bandwidth caps >:[

It has one of the best atmospheres that I have ever experienced in games. Be sure to mod the game too for more awesome visual candy, the game has a very lively mod scene that really improve the visuals.

LAMBO

Guess i have to buy the Witcher. Already have STALKER, which you all should be buying for $5. I almost want to wait because i feel like the witcher will be on sale for $10 this holiday.

Damn and i have all those $5 direct to drive games to play too.

IceMarker

I love you Steam, your deals from week to week are AMAZING. :D

So I have a choice, Dragon Age: Origins for $50 or Witcher for $20?

... :lol

Wait should I even buy the Witcher? Someone convince me!

Mrbob

Hey sir you were the one who wanted a discount on this game! :D

The question isn't why should you buy The Witcher, it is why haven't you bought it already?!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Steam just updated and it's now equipped with Win 7 taskbar features. Pin it to your taskbarm and you can right click now for your Steam jumplist!:D

Twig

Banned
Brettison said:
Steam just updated and it's now equipped with Win 7 taskbar features. Pin it to your taskbarm and you can right click now for your Steam jumplist!:D
Oh shit.

Just another reason to anticipate my university getting their student copies for $7. Hopefully next week. O;

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I'm pre-loading Borderlands (overseas FTW) and Left4Dead 2 demo at the same time on the new steam client on Windows 7, and it's using no CPU at all. Then, it finishes the Left4Dead demo first, and the icon progress bar keeps changing from nothing to a little green bar (from the borderlands pre-loading) and using up to 16% of CPU.

So I force-closed it (It closes, but the process wouldn't end), opened it up again and it's back to normal.

So yeah, still a couple bugs I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom