• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it has been posted in this topic before but devolver digital announced via twitter that serious sam hd will be posted via steam.

:)

kai3345

Banned
Idk if I want to buy it, the sale ends tonight, but the graphics specs say Radeon 9800 is the minimum and there's no demo.

What do you think GAF? Will it run well at low or medium graphics?

kai3345

Banned
Oh.....Torchlight is a loot whore game

eehhhhh......

Thought it was a NWN style RPG =/

Diablo didn't really appeal to me, the whole click on an enemy 50 billion times to attack, and then the enemies really didn't present a challenge.

I'll still check out the demo though

Is STALKER any good?

EDIT: Also, my main Local hard drive is running out of space, but I have a 120 gig drive plugged in as well, is there any way I can set up a new directory for my steam games to install to without having to reinstall steam+ every game into the new directory?

kai3345 said:
Is STALKER any good?

STALKER is one of the most immersive FPS games I've played and you do yourself an incredible disservice by not buying it right now.

The game could sort of be described as an RPG/FPS, but that doesn't quite cut it.

Indeed it is. You'll need a decent video card though.

Not necessarily. Maybe on high or with some of the good mods, but I ran it fine on my GeForce 7600 years ago. This was at 1280x1024, can't recall the exact settings, I think it was low or medium.

kai3345

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Indeed it is. You'll need a decent video card though.
The minimum says 9600, does it look like total shit at minimum settings?

EDIT: just went to Can You Run It? says I would be able to play a bit above minimum settings, you think I should go for it?

I've never been able to get the game running > 13xx x 7xx with anything but a very recent card at decent settings. It always seemed very unoptimized to me.

eznark

Banned
STALKER is a lot of fun. The Witcher is one of the best games of it's year. Torchlight is addictive as hell (if it's your thing). I suggest if you don't want the Witcher you wait til Friday, when the weekend deals pop.

kai3345

Banned
333bn0y.png

eznark

Banned
For $5 it's worth a shot, but man the STALKER games are such unoptimized messes that your rig not meeting the specs will just make it even worse.

MDSLKTR

kai3345 said:
Yeah I failed the Witcher can you run it test so i think im gonna get stalker

Trust me you're good. You're gonna have to use the direct x8 settings tough (it will still look good and at a great framerate, but the lighting is gonna be flat).

WTF Steam?

My account got disabled. I've just paid them some $300 through a 4-pack of L4D, a 4-pack of Borderlands, L4D, Assassin's Creed, and STALKER. AND NOW THEY DISABLE ME?

They better fix this. And pronto!

graywolf323

speculawyer said:
WTF Steam?

My account got disabled. I've just paid them some $300 through a 4-pack of L4D, a 4-pack of Borderlands, L4D, Assassin's Creed, and STALKER. AND NOW THEY DISABLE ME?

did you get a message saying why?

Deadly

Is steam not working for some? Everytime I start it, it goes to update than connecting to steam account and it freezes there.

Deadly said:
Is steam not working for some? Everytime I start it, it goes to update than connecting to steam account and it freezes there.
works fine for me but earlier i got that "Steam Ticket Expired" but i got that fixed.

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:
WTF Steam?

At least it's not a weekend. If you submit a support ticket maybe they'll respond quickly. Can you see your account info at all, or does it tell you your account is disabled when you even try to login?

If so that SUCKS, since you can't even play games offline. I have probably a lot more than $300 invested, and if I lost it all through the flip of an automatic switch (as you and a couple of others have), I would really be sad, even though they seem to usually eventually reenable it after a support request.

52club

speculawyer said:
WTF Steam?

I hope for your sake you didn't publicly sell portions of either of those 4-packs. Based on their user agreement they can disable you account for this, even though these packs kind of encourage this behavior.

kai3345

Banned
Ok so STALKER finished downloading, and I go to test it out and all I get is the little title card that pops up, and then nothing.

What the fuck?

Javaman

kai3345 said:
Ok so STALKER finished downloading, and I go to test it out and all I get is the little title card that pops up, and then nothing.

What the fuck?

Try verifying the files. It should be hidden away in the menu when you right click on the game. Anyone else having trouble verifing their E-mail address? The button is tucked up in the upper left hand corner and 1/2 sized and doesn't do anything when I click on it.

mandiller

I bought Stalker on sale and installed the Stalker Complete 2009 mod. I'm glad I got it, so good, and much better than vanilla stalker I played ages ago at a friends.

RJT

kai3345 said:

EDIT: just went to Can You Run It? says I would be able to play a bit above minimum settings, you think I should go for it?
Played it with the 8600 just fine, with dynamic shadows and all. The shadows are really important, because of the atmoshphere in the underground settings, but if you have more than a 9600 you'll be definitely fine. This is no Crysis.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Okay, you guys have convinced me to reinstall Stalker, to try out the Complete 2009 mod. I've never gotten far into the game, because of my backlog.

Doytch

RJT said:
Played it with the 8600 just fine, with dynamic shadows and all. The shadows are really important, because of the atmoshphere in the underground settings, but if you have more than a 9600 you'll be definitely fine. This is no Crysis.
He's talking about an ATI 9600. ;)

Inkwell

Banned
Javaman said:
Try verifying the files. It should be hidden away in the menu when you right click on the game. Anyone else having trouble verifing their E-mail address? The button is tucked up in the upper left hand corner and 1/2 sized and doesn't do anything when I click on it.
I had the same problem before. I figured out it was because I was using a custom skin that screwed it up. Try switching to the classic steam skin if you are not using it, and then try verifying your e-mail address. If you are currently using the classic skin, just try switching between some of the other skins that come with steam.

atomsk

Party Pooper
kai3345 said:

every game i check on this site tells me NOT SUPPORTED BY WINDOWS 7

which is odd cause i played the Batman demo, and this says it's not supported on win7

so what gives?

Doytch

atomsk said:

which is odd cause i played the Batman demo, and this says it's not supported on win7

so what gives?
Probably if it doesn't explicitly say "Windows 7 Supported" it assumes it's unsupported.

Cheeto

atomsk said:

so what gives?
I wouldn't worry about it. Win7 is essentially Vista at heart...if it works in Vista, it'll work in Win7

Blizzard

Banned
52club said:
I hope for your sake you didn't publicly sell portions of either of those 4-packs. Based on their user agreement they can disable you account for this, even though these packs kind of encourage this behavior.
What the heck? Do you have a quote from the user agreement for this? :(

I thought the ENTIRE point of 4-packs for Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 2 was that you could split the cost between friends and play as a group. And apparently doing that is against the license agreement?

Terrifyer

Banned
Blizzard said:

I thought the ENTIRE point of 4-packs for Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 2 was that you could split the cost between friends and play as a group. And apparently doing that is against the license agreement?

It mentions it in this help article about gifting extra copies. I didn't actually search for it in the subscriber agreement, but I'm sure it's written there officially as well.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:

Um. I'm pretty sure it means you can't Sell Gift Copies.

Everyone dipping in on a four pack is encouraged...

Volcynika

Linkzg said:
Is steam down for anyone else? it's crashing and freezing and fucking up bad. I just want to try L4D2 but the damn thing won't work.

I had an issue yesterday where it would be showing nothing on my games list (scanning for updates or whatever), and I just had to eventually let it sit there for a while and it showed up like 15+ minutes later (long wait) :/

Barrett2

So I just got a steam account, will be playing games on a netbook during a soon-to-be long commute.

Can you guys recommend a few cheap, fun games I can run on a netbook? Thanks.

Almak

lawblob said:
So I just got a steam account, will be playing games on a netbook during a soon-to-be long commute.

Deus Ex is pretty damn fun. Also likely a sure bet as far as netbook performance goes. Oh yeah Braid is a must, if you dont have it already.

Additionally you might consider:

Disciples 2
The Longest Journey
Machinarium
Max Payne
Puzzle Quest
Beyond Good and Evil
Audiosurf
Defcon

All of those are good games and should work fine on a netbook (not 100% about BGaE though it should theoretically be fine)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The TF2 sale is the 3rd deal this week on Steam and we presumably still have the weekend sale coming up. Slow down, Valve. We all aren't made of money. :lol

MoFuzz

Will Max Payne and Deus Ex even run on netbooks, with their mediocre Intel GPU's?

I was under the impression that those things are so underpowered that they will only do 10 to 15 fps for 3D apps. The exception being the Nvidia ION, but not many netbooks sport that chip yet as far as I know.

Archie said:
The TF2 sale is the 3rd deal this week on Steam and we presumably still have the weekend sale coming up. Slow down, Valve. We all aren't made of money. :lol

Its a secret plot to get MW2 off the top sellers list! :lol

Polk

MoFuzz said:
Will Max Payne and Deus Ex even run on netbooks, with their mediocre Intel GPU's?

I was under the impression that those things are so underpowered that they will only do 10 to 15 fps for 3D apps. The exception being the Nvidia ION, but not many netbooks sport that chip yet as far as I know.
Deus Ex is Unreal 1 game. Both games were playable on TNT2, so GMA950 is more then enough to play them.

MoFuzz said:

Should be fine, The GMA 950 is indeed an utter POS but its certainly much faster than the very early 3D accelerators, and they ran titles like that just fine. Framerate (as ever) is completely dependant on the individual app.

They're fine for delivering PS2 level graphics, Quake Live for instance runs surprisingly well at native resolution.

lawblob said:

gog.com has a better library for netbook gaming imo.

Edit: I see someone mentioned Braid, that definitely won't be playable. Machinarium might not be playable either, check the demo first.

lawblob said:
That was the first game I bought. Haha.

Yosumin and peggle are nice.

The fallout series is a favorite of mine.

Just browse in the store. you may end up with more games then you had planned for. I know I usually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom