• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Well, can't say no to 2.49€..

Consider me a proud TF2 owner. Time to get owned through the ass as a certifiable nooblet, I guess -_-°

Yasser

wmat said:
Well, can't say no to 2.49€..

Consider me a proud TF2 owner. Time to get owned through the ass as a certifiable nooblet, I guess -_-°
it's not so harsh on new players i've found, just try all the classes and when all fails be a medic :p

kai3345

Banned
So I got STALKER, fired it up and the first cutscene looked amazing.....until they started talking. The voices weren't synched and it looked really odd. Also the movie stuttered occasionaly at the beginning but when he went down to the basement it became like a slide show.

Also during the PDA tutorial it had to take 2-3 seconds to lead each sound clip, even though it was obvious they were supposed to be said without pauses.

When I got into the actual game the graphics looked....eh

I'm running on medium graphics at 800x600 resolution (I was on 1024x760 but i thought reducing the res might help my sound lag issue)

So the game was fun up to what I played (I went up to some blockade and decided to shoot everyone) but I had the occasional stutter every few minutes but when I'm running its like every few seconds. When I'm in an indoor environment the stuttering isnt as bad.

Any tips to help improve my performance and/or increase my graphics quality without hindering my current level of performance?

MNC

kai3345 said:
So I got STALKER, fired it up and the first cutscene looked amazing.....until they started talking. The voices weren't synched and it looked really odd. Also the movie stuttered occasionaly at the beginning but when he went down to the basement it became like a slide show.

Also during the PDA tutorial it had to take 2-3 seconds to lead each sound clip, even though it was obvious they were supposed to be said without pauses.

I'm running on medium graphics at 800x600 resolution (I was on 1024x760 but i thought reducing the res might help my sound lag issue)

So the game was fun up to what I played (I went up to some blockade and decided to shoot everyone) but I had the occasional stutter every few minutes but when I'm running its like every few seconds. When I'm in an indoor environment the stuttering isnt as bad.

Any tips to help improve my performance and/or increase my graphics quality without hindering my current level of performance?
The way it felt kinda disappointing in the beginning, I had the same thing :lol I thought this was some 3rd person action/horror if I recall correctly(wrongly, actually)

ArjanN

kai3345 said:

Turn off dynamic shadows. Makes a huge difference.

kai3345

Banned
ArjanN said:
Turn off dynamic shadows. Makes a huge difference.
I didn't see a dynamic shadows option but there was 'Static Lighting" but I couldn't change it, I assume that with a better card I could change it to "Dynamic lighting" or something.

I tried to turn down shadow detail, but that slider wouldn't budge.

But when I closed out of the game to check replies and then got back on, the game ran smoother for some reason, still not as smooth as I'd want it but definitely smoother than it was.

TF2 deal was too good to pass up, download is taking its time here though.

In other news, all my Steam games appear to be working on Windows 7, expect for KOTOR - tried every tip I could find on the net but I'm having no luck. Doh!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
wmat said:
Meh, TF2 doesn't grab me at all. Gonna stay with CS for now.

What about it do not like? Did you ever play the original Team Fortress or Team Fortress Classic?

I have a friend who loves online shooters and for some reason can't get into TF2 and he can't seem to explain exactly why.

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Um. I'm pretty sure it means you can't Sell Gift Copies.

Everyone dipping in on a four pack is encouraged...
I don't understand how they can differentiate between someone PAYING you so you can give them one of your copies because they were in your 4-pack group, and someone PAYING you so you can give them one of your copies in general.

And I really really hope that this doesn't mean I'll suddenly get 50 games disabled or whatever because I paid for a gift copy as part of a 4-pack group, and the buyer of it got his account disabled. :( Can they check any sort of credit history with paypal to see if the people involved were trading money?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Zefah said:
What about it do not like? Did you ever play the original Team Fortress or Team Fortress Classic?

I have a friend who loves online shooters and for some reason can't get into TF2 and he can't seem to explain exactly why.
That's basically what happens to me. I can't seem to like TF2. I respect it, enjoy the graphics and gameplay, and I understand that it's a great game, but I just don't feel like playing it.

CS still feels like a better experience to me, unfortunately (since TF2 is a much more complete game).

fatty

I'm having a problem with copying my Steam games to another computer (don't want to have to download everything again). So I installed Steam on the new computer and then I copied my existing SteamApps folder over the newly installed SteamApps folder.

When I open Steam it doesn't show any of them being installed and when I try to launch a game (actually the option is to install), it doesn't recognize that I already have it in the folder and it wants to download the game again. And to top it off, Steam is saying its servers are too busy so I can't play the game either way.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
fatty said:
I'm having a problem with copying my Steam games to another computer (don't want to have to download everything again). So I installed Steam on the new computer and then I copied my existing SteamApps folder over the newly installed SteamApps folder.

When I open Steam it doesn't show any of them being installed and when I try to launch a game (actually the option is to install), it doesn't recognize that I already have it in the folder and it wants to download the game again. And to top it off, Steam is saying its servers are too busy so I can't play the game either way.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Are you sure you dropped the folder in the correct location?

I just did this when installing my retail copy of Windows 7 and had absolutely no problems other than it taking forever to move 300gb of data to and from an external HDD.

The only peculiar thing I noticed was that when I booted up Steam after installing it again once I got Windows 7 up and running was that most of the status of most of my games was "download paused" and I had to in and right click each game and select "resume download" for the status to change to "ready".

I played the hammerfight demo years ago when it was still a freeware game. Now that's its on steam, I'm wondering if it holds up well. I know its only 10 dollars, but im really, really poor right now.

Anyone here play it?

kamspy

Someone please tell a TF2 noob how to make it fun.

Can't seem to find a class that suits me. The gameplay is great. Community plays the game right, and it runs fantastic. I just can't seem to find a class to get me going. :/

SteamID: kamspy

pilonv1

kamspy said:

Can't seem to find a class that suits me. The gameplay is great. Community plays the game right, and it runs fantastic. I just can't seem to find a class to get me going. :/

SteamID: kamspy

Play as a medic, stay behind everyone healing until you work out what's going on. After a while it will click.

fatty

Zefah said:
Are you sure you dropped the folder in the correct location?

I just did this when installing my retail copy of Windows 7 and had absolutely no problems other than it taking forever to move 300gb of data to and from an external HDD.

The only peculiar thing I noticed was that when I booted up Steam after installing it again once I got Windows 7 up and running was that most of the status of most of my games was "download paused" and I had to in and right click each game and select "resume download" for the status to change to "ready".

I accidentally pasted it in the wrong location. After I moved it to the right place I was good to go.

Toby

kamspy said:

Same. I've tried to get into the game at least 5 times now. I really suck at it though, which is probably why I quit playing. I mean, its laughable. I bet anyone could jump straight in and play better than I do.

Anyway, tried The Witcher demo. Didn't really like it. Does the combat eventually get deeper than click, wait for the right icon, click again, change combat type, click, wait for icon? Maybe its just not my type of game...

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I don't understand how they can differentiate between someone PAYING you so you can give them one of your copies because they were in your 4-pack group, and someone PAYING you so you can give them one of your copies in general.

And I really really hope that this doesn't mean I'll suddenly get 50 games disabled or whatever because I paid for a gift copy as part of a 4-pack group, and the buyer of it got his account disabled. :( Can they check any sort of credit history with paypal to see if the people involved were trading money?
Man if there's one thing I've learned about you it's that you are a WORRIER X-TREME.

Trust me. You're fine. They publicly encourage people to dip in on a 4-pack. What Valve doesn't like is you going on, say, eBay and selling those free gift copies. Or selling your account in the same way.

G_Berry

Banned
wmat said:
I'll just shoot dudes, I know how that works. ;)

Pick medic or sniper.

Medics get you up close into the battles and you can learn the other classes by watching / healing them.

Snipers pretty much behave like snipers in most games, sit back, get a few kills just watch out for spies ;)

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Man if there's one thing I've learned about you it's that you are a WORRIER X-TREME.

Trust me. You're fine. They publicly encourage people to dip in on a 4-pack. What Valve doesn't like is you going on, say, eBay and selling those free gift copies. Or selling your account in the same way.
Then why did the dude get his account disabled, and apparently no message saying why????? DDDDD:

G_Berry said:
Pick medic or sniper.

Medics get you up close into the battles and you can learn the other classes by watching / healing them.

Snipers pretty much behave like snipers in most games, sit back, get a few kills just watch out for spies ;)
I would recommend AGAINST playing sniper to start out with since it's hard in my opinion, but whatever. Medic (watch your back, heal all teammates) and pyro (hold flames down, check everywhere, extinguish teammates with right click) are prolly easiest.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Then why did the dude get his account disabled, and apparently no message saying why????? DDDDD:
Shit luck, I guess. Shit's gon' happen, no matter where you go in life, son.

Chilllllll. It'll be all right in the end.

Javaman

Inkwell said:
I had the same problem before. I figured out it was because I was using a custom skin that screwed it up. Try switching to the classic steam skin if you are not using it, and then try verifying your e-mail address. If you are currently using the classic skin, just try switching between some of the other skins that come with steam.

That worked like a champ, thanks!

Blizzard said:

If someone gets their account locked due to breaking the SSA and they gifted someone else a game, usually that person isn't effected. I had a guy who I would gift to and receive gifts from have his account disabled (dude had 400 games!) and I wasn't effected; nevertheless, you better believe that I will NEVER EVER trade with him again (his account has been unlocked). While I never received the full story why his account was disabled, it seems that he was doing some shady things. Valve is pretty good with hearing you out and not jumping to conclusions. Remember, many times someones account is disabled for protection- there is shady activity and a hacked account is believe to have occurred- then once the owner notifies Valve they work it out.

What I recommend is to keep every single one of your receipts in a separate Email box. I only use PayPal now and have every one of my purchases saved. Also, while it's not related to the gifting issue, definitely make sure to verify your email address as this will cut down most any chance of getting hacked; unless the individual has access to your email. Finally, only use those people that you trust when it comes to gifts.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zefah said:

I played TFC, yeah. I loved it!

I don't know, TF2 is just kind of annoying. Especially the SFX are really stupid and noisy. The big guy with the gatling or whatever that is is the worst. "Om nom" are you fucking kidding me??

And the game feels very slow for some reason, and there's really no tension at all. It's like a joke you already know.

The models are misshaped as well. I mean, I get the cartoony appeal, but it doesn't improve the experience for me. I also don't like the color palette.

So the game looks and sounds unappealing to me and plays okay, but there's no tension whatsoever.

Edit: To be fair, I didn't play all classes. And of course I'll give it another go this evening. Maybe I'll turn around, but currently, it gets two mehs.

Activision is trying their best to get money from PC gamers:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 40% Off Weekend Deal
October 30, 2009, 12:26 am - Valve - General Announcement

The action-thriller from the award-winning team at Infinity Ward, the creators of the Call of Duty® series, delivers one of the most intense and cinematic action experience ever. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare arms gamers with an arsenal of advanced and powerful modern day firepower and transports them to the most treacherous hotspots around the globe to take on a rogue enemy group threatening the world. Grab it at 40% off until Monday!

I really hope there will be another weekend deal or deal for Halloween. Really don't like this one.

Well . . . my account is still disabled. I've sent support messages for 3 days now, and they don't even bother responding. I've spent $300 on games lately (OK, much of that was 4-pack deals) and they disable me. I can't play anything. I've bought LFD2, LFD, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands, and STALKER. But I can't play any of them.

WTF? I'm furious. My Borderlands character has been frozen at level 3 or so as everyone else levels up and finishes the game. :-(

What did I do wrong?

speculawyer said:
Well . . . my account is still disabled. I've sent support messages for 3 days now, and they don't even bother responding. I've spent $300 on games lately (OK, much of that was 4-pack deals) and they disable me. I can't play anything. I've bought LFD2, LFD, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands, and STALKER. But I can't play any of them.

WTF? I'm furious. My Borderlands character has been frozen at level 3 or so as everyone else levels up and finishes the game. :-(

What did I do wrong?

Have you opened up a ticket through the support site? And have you sent only one ticket and just kept it updated with any relevant information? They don't answer through email and I think sending multiple tickets keeps on putting you back at the end of the line, so try to hold off on sending anymore tickets. Maybe make a thread at the Steam forums and someone from Valve will answer.

rezuth

speculawyer said:

What did I do wrong?
You sold stuff you can't sell?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
wmat said:

I don't know, TF2 is just kind of annoying. Especially the SFX are really stupid and noisy. The big guy with the gatling or whatever that is is the worst. "Om nom" are you fucking kidding me??

And the game feels very slow for some reason, and there's really no tension at all. It's like a joke you already know.

The models are misshaped as well. I mean, I get the cartoony appeal, but it doesn't improve the experience for me. I also don't like the color palette.

So the game looks and sounds unappealing to me and plays okay, but there's no tension whatsoever.

Edit: To be fair, I didn't play all classes. And of course I'll give it another go this evening. Maybe I'll turn around, but currently, it gets two mehs.

For me it was an unserious take on a most of the time serious genre. Games like CS/Quake/DoD/Painkiller when playing online had demons or terrorists or space marines. Having all the classes from different parts of the world (Heavy=Russia, Scout=New York, etc) and having the different taunts always brings a smile to my face for some reason.

Like with all online games i can hop into a game and just do my own thing and do it well. If you play at places like 2fort then its mainly just kill until the time runs out or until someone FINALLY decides its time to end it and tries to capture the intelligence. If you play maps where you have to control nodes or push karts forward i think there is pretty good tension in those maps.

It didn't really click with me at first either, it was just one more game in the Orange Box. Then i actually kinda forced myself to play it then i really started to enjoy it. It took me a while to get good with a couple classes that i use as my default, still am absolutely horrible with the spy. But for me at least it got better with time.

Zefah said:

It can feel pointless, and some people never find a class that fits with them.

I didn't get into the game for years despite it being my favorite genre. It took me forcing myself to play on the same server for a week to finally get it. Once I started playing with regulars who used voice chat and cooperated and played well rather than running toward the action and getting blown up and repeating the sequence, it clicked.

I have other friends that love all sorts of first-person shooters that have tried this game a few times and they find it boring and pointless. As someone said above, everything can either be so chaotic or so slow that it feels like there's no tension at all. Unless you have a group of friends to play with, it's run to the action, die, repeat.

I actually think Left 4 Dead is the sort of game for people that think they should like TF2 but don't. It forces teamwork and cooperation rather than suggesting it as the means to victory, and the small team makes it feel more personal than TF2's large teams.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
yanhero said:
Is MW worth getting just for the single player??

24 bucks for the single player? Ehhhh I thought it was really good don't get me wrong but its rather short and i think you'll be disappointed spending 24 dollars on just the SP. Why no Multiplayer?

Twig

Banned
wmat said:

Too kiddy.

lol

Kipe

wmat said:

Try arena. One death per round might give you the tension you're looking for.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I broke down and finally bought Call of Duty 4 (my brother owned a disc copy that I borrowed, but I loved the singleplayer and am definitely going to play it again) and I picked up the Dragon Age: Origins - Digital Deluxe Edition... my wallet is sad, but I'm pumped :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare HAS to drop it's price once Modern Warfare 2 comes out, right?

Then it has to become cheaper than this when the Christmas sale on Steam comes up.

I mean, it has to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:

What did I do wrong?

That sounds like a raw deal and posts like this scare the hell out of me since I have spent like $1000 or more on Steam games over the years.

Xizk

Zefah said:
That sounds like a raw deal and posts like this scare the hell out of me since I have spent like $1000 or more on Steam games over the years.

They usually only disable your account if you have made a chargeback for something you purchased. My bank made one without my permission and that got my account disabled. As soon as I corrected it I got it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom