• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloegr

randomwab said:
Yeah, this. I was hoping for RE5 or Dead Space or something like that for Halloween. Ah well.

Yep, I was hoping for Dead Space or Vampires: The Masquerade. The TF2 Halloween event lessens the pain, though.

Tokubetsu

ElJuice said:
Yep, I was hoping for Dead Space or Vampires: The Masquerade. The TF2 Halloween event lessens the pain, though.

IT ain't steam but Direct2Drive has Vampire: The Masquerade for 5 bucks this weekend. Ghostbusters is 10 bucks too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ElJuice said:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is on sale at D2D for $4.95. Is it worth picking up?
Edit:Beaten, but my question still stands

Tokubetsu

poppabk said:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is on sale at D2D for $4.95. Is it worth picking up?

Yes it is. If you liked horror themed shit and PCRPGs/Western RPGs at all, you owe it to yourself. Make sure you get the fan patch though!

poppabk said:

Not from Direct2Drive no. Some of the mods/fan-patches don't work with the Direct2Drive version, IIRC.

Sloegr

Tokubetsu said:
IT ain't steam but Direct2Drive has Vampire: The Masquerade for 5 bucks this weekend. Ghostbusters is 10 bucks too.

I'll probably buy it from D2D, but I was hoping Steam would match the deal so I could get it from them. I'm still not totally sure about D2D's activation limits.

Not from Direct2Drive no. Some of the mods/fan-patches don't work with the Direct2Drive version, IIRC.

Unless that is true. Haven't heard that before.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Strider2K99 said:
I wish Steam would copy some of D2D's deals. I want Far Cry 2 for $10 already.
It's $19.99 with the addon. That's a pretty good deal! I paid 29.99€ without it.

ElJuice said:
I'll probably buy it from D2D, but I was hoping Steam would match the deal so I could get it from them. I'm still not totally sure about D2D's activation limits.

Unless that is true. Haven't heard that before.

They all work fine, I played it with the latest fan patch the other day. Activation limits depend on what DRM the publisher puts in, with Vampire Bloodlines it's unlimited.

kuYuri

wmat said:
It's $19.99 with the addon. That's a pretty good deal! I paid 29.99€ without it.

Yeah, $20 is not bad at all, but not impulse buy territory yet. I still have a backlog of games to play, but at $10, I'd buy it in a heartbeat just to get it that cheap.

Sloegr

Peronthious said:
They all work fine, I played it with the latest fan patch the other day. Activation limits depend on what DRM the publisher puts in, with Vampire Bloodlines it's unlimited.

D2D support told me it was a 5 activation limit via Trymedia. Good to hear about the fan patches, though.

And my account is back! Yeah! :D I can't believe I wasted so much time fretting over it.

However, I still think they should change their system. They need to tell people why they get disabled. I STILL don't know why my account got disabled. I'm left with a paranoid feeling like if I look at them the wrong way, I'll get disabled.

Sure, I can get banned on GAF . . . but GAF is free and the mods run it. But when you pay a lot of money for a service, it sucks to be all paranoid.

I now feel like I'll never pay retail price for a steam game . . . why buy something that can be taken away from you at the whim of someone else? The $5 sales, fine. But if I can pay the same amount for a disc at the store that can't be taken away, I think I'll go with that if the prices are the same.

speculawyer said:
And my account is back! Yeah! :D I can't believe I wasted so much time fretting over it.

However, I still think they should change their system. They need to tell people why they get disabled. I STILL don't know why my account got disabled. I'm left with a paranoid feeling like if I look at them the wrong way, I'll get disabled.

Sure, I can get banned on GAF . . . but GAF is free and the mods run it. But when you pay a lot of money for a service, it sucks to be all paranoid.

I now feel like I'll never pay retail price for a steam game . . . why buy something that can be taken away from you at the whim of someone else? The $5 sales, fine. But if I can pay the same amount for a disc at the store that can't be taken away, I think I'll go with that if the prices are the same.

What's your steam ID?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
speculawyer said:

Good for you! Hopefully if you pursue for some type of reason they will tell you.

Slavik81

Tim-E said:
I will not be participating in this weekend deal, because I refuse to give even a dime of my money to Infinity Ward.
I still might hop on it. After all, it will help underscore how much more successful Call of Duty 4 was than Call of Duty 6.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
Totally funny, check it out. I bought L4D just so I could play it. As someone that watched hours of Teletubbies due to my daughter, it was nice to get pay-back. :D

L2hvbWUvbDRkbW9kcy9wdWJsaWNfaHRtbC9pbWFnZXMvc3Rvcmllcy9MZWZ0NFRlbGV0dWJiaWVzL2w0ZF9ob3NwaXRhbDAxX2FwYXJ0bWVudDAwMDEuanBn.jpg

:lol oh my god. That is amazing.

D4Danger said:
:lol oh my god. That is amazing.
The models are great.

But what really puts it over the top . . . the audio. They sampled from Teletubbies shows and they say their lines "Tinky Winky", "Big hug!", etc. I can't express the joy of mowing them down. :D

Actually, Teletubbies are not so bad. I'd rather kill Barney.

zombieshavebrains said:
Preload starts Nov. 1st

Something tells me that might not be enough time.
Does Steam suffer from server problems during big releases? I honestly haven't been involved in the PC game scene for too long, but the Steam games I have downloaded have always attained optimal download speeds. Crunching the numbers with crude math, I think I could probably download this in about five hours on my current connection (roughtly 1 MB/sec), and could have downloaded it in about 28 hours on my old connection (roughtly 160 KB/sec). Either way, two days would have been plenty of time for either.

I'm basing this off the numbers I've heard of this being a roughly 16 GB download. Again, I don't know if the servers slow down for big releases.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Steve Youngblood said:
Does Steam suffer from server problems during big releases? I honestly haven't been involved in the PC game scene for too long, but the Steam games I have downloaded have always attained optimal download speeds. Crunching the numbers with crude math, I think I could probably download this in about five hours on my current connection (roughtly 1 MB/sec), and could have downloaded it in about 28 hours on my old connection (roughtly 160 KB/sec). Either way, two days would have been plenty of time for either.

I'm basing this off the numbers I've heard of this being a roughly 16 GB download. Again, I don't know if the servers slow down for big releases.

I know HL2 had problems but i'm sure they've been fixed since then. That was back in 2004? I don't have any hard evidence but i think L4D and maybe some other games had problems with people trying to connect to the servers or the servers will be busy.

It would be interesting to find out how Valve manages to get so much bandwith.

kai3345

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:

16 Gigs?

The 360 demo was 1.6 gigs, maybe whoever told you forgot the decimal?

Whats the average pc users on CoD4 right now? I'd love to pick it up again, been waiting for a weekend deal, but its been so long that im worried the community has kind of died out. Any advice?

Is anyone else having trouble playing return to castle wolfenstein on windows 7? It crashes as soon as it boots up saying spwolf.exe has stopped responding.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tried compatibility modes?

Also if you try launching it from the exec and not from Steam and get the same error, try the Tech Support thread.

Slavik81

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is anyone else having trouble playing return to castle wolfenstein on windows 7? It crashes as soon as it boots up saying spwolf.exe has stopped responding.
Doesn't work for me, either. Win7 x64.
Though, mine says wolfSP.exe

Salaadin

So Im having some issues with the steam version of The Witcher.

The game booted fine at the start but then I alt-tabbed out to check my email quick while the game was paused. When I returned, I noticed that all the character models were screwed up...like parts of the model were being stretched upwards to the top of the screen and gave this weird shimmering effect. As the characters move, the stretchy shimmer moves, turns, and rotates with them making the game unplayable.

Im usually stuck rebooting until the problem goes away. Ive tried booting regularly, as Admin, in Windows XP compatibility mode...its almost always there. There are also times when changing the resolution has lessened the issue but not made it completely go away. Lastly, sometimes I will start it up and itll be fine but then appear after loading a new area or viewing a cutscene.

I checked the version in Steam and it looks to be the most recent up to date version. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Ill post pics when I get home if thatll help.

garath

Salaadin said:

The game booted fine at the start but then I alt-tabbed out to check my email quick while the game was paused. When I returned, I noticed that all the character models were screwed up...like parts of the model were being stretched upwards to the top of the screen and gave this weird shimmering effect. As the characters move, the stretchy shimmer moves, turns, and rotates with them making the game unplayable.

Im usually stuck rebooting until the problem goes away. Ive tried booting regularly, as Admin, in Windows XP compatibility mode...its almost always there. There are also times when changing the resolution has lessened the issue but not made it completely go away. Lastly, sometimes I will start it up and itll be fine but then appear after loading a new area or viewing a cutscene.

I checked the version in Steam and it looks to be the most recent up to date version. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Ill post pics when I get home if thatll help.

Video card drivers? Failing video card? Does the problem ONLY occur when you alt-tab out? If so, the old adage of "don't do it then" is rolling around in my head :p

I've always found alt-tabbing out of full screen games in XP to be a little wonky. I just assume you can't for most games. In windows 7 I haven't had an issue yet though. It must handle video memory better.

Salaadin

Shit, this is it right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsc4B39Yy3U

Same issue, and Im using the Radeon 5850. Theres a thread on it here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=26174.0

I actually think this was mentioned a few days ago in this thread but I forgot completely about it....

EDIT: Its a driver issue. That kinda sucks. Some are saying that running in windowed mode helps. I may do that. OR, I guess I can move on to a different game in the meantime while ATI gets new drivers out.

Salaadin said:

I had a problem where the game would crash guaranteed after about 15 minutes. Not the same thing, I know, but it was solved by changing the resolution steam Boots in to 640x480. The game will still run at whatever native resolution you have it at. Try that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
SapientWolf said:
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Would Valve revoke your game license or serve you bancakes over it or is it relatively risk free?
All I ever used was www.g2play.net (and I didn't personally use it, a couple friends of mine did) and they never had any problems.

Those Arkham Asylum keys are probably from nvidia cards? I remember something about them cards coming with keys for the game, even before the game came out. Dude is probably going through old stock, picking up all the game vouchers and selling the cards alone (without a box) or smth.

And he's probably selling them now because:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_batmanaa_redeem.html
This coupon is valid between Sept 15, 2009 through December 31, 2009 or while supplies last. Terms and conditions apply. See terms and conditions for details.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
graywolf323 said:
oddly the thread on CAG got deleted which is weird since it seems to be a legit deal
Maybe because these NVidia vouchers are not supposed to be resold, they're a bonus for people that bought the videocard.

If this person is selling them on the side, he's prolly also selling the videocard without them, which is probably illegal. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom