• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheOneGuy said:
Ugh, I can't imagine anything worse than playing a game like EWJ on the fucking iPhone.
Some of us can actually use a touchscreen to play games rather well :p just a case of getting over the learning curve and having a different feel then pressing buttons. It is the future!

Anyway point is, the remake with better sprites and artwork is cheaper elsewhere.

Tim-E

archnemesis said:
Somehow I missed out on basically all Valve games except Counter-Strike I thought it be fun to finally catch up. Apparently my old CD version of Half-Life doesn't support widescreen, so I'll have to re-buy it from Steam. Is Half-Life: Source the definitive experience? Are the old expansion packs (Blue Shift and Opposing Force) widescreen compatible? Are they even worth playing at all?

What's the better value? Half-Life: Source combined with the Orange box or maybe I should just go for the Valve Complete Pack? 90€ seems a bit steep.

Half-Life 1 is $10 on Steam and it supports widescreen. I started replaying it recently and it holds up incredibly well, IMO.

epmode

Inspirius said:
Or you could just enter your Half-Life key into steam and get the expansion packs.

Assuming that is still possible.
It's still possible. He should totally do it.

And the other guy's right. HL1 DOES support widescreen when updated through Steam. Looks great too.

Hunking great newb question here:

I'm trying to purchase Dragon Age Origins via Paypal. This is the first thing I've ever bought using either Steam or Paypal.

When I click the link to 'Begin Paypal Purchase' it opens up a new browser window that tries to transfer me to the Paypal site (fine up to now) then comes up with a Paypal window that tells me that 'Sorry an error occurred after you clicked the last link'.

Any advice??

Edit: nvm, sorted.

Twig

Banned
Diablohead said:
Some of us can actually use a touchscreen to play games rather well :p just a case of getting over the learning curve and having a different feel then pressing buttons. It is the future!

Anyway point is, the remake with better sprites and artwork is cheaper elsewhere.
Well, I mean, if you're content with inferiority, more power to you.

Inspirius said:
Or you could just enter your Half-Life key into steam and get the expansion packs.
This . . . I entered my HL1 CD key recently and to my surprise it gave me Counter-Strike, Blue Shift, Opposing Forces, Deathmatch Classic, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, and Ricochet.

That is a whole lot of gaming from one CD key.

I wasn't surprised about the multi-player stuff but I had previously paid for Blue-Shift and Opposing Forces on CD. I did not have to enter the CD key codes for those.

speculawyer said:
This . . . I entered my HL1 CD key recently and to my surprise it gave me Counter-Strike, Blue Shift, Opposing Forces, Deathmatch Classic, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, and Ricochet.

That is a whole lot of gaming from one CD key.

I wasn't surprised about the multi-player stuff but I had previously paid for Blue-Shift and Opposing Forces on CD. I did not have to enter the CD key codes for those.

Wow I had no idea about this, just grabbed my disc copy of Blue Shift and got all of the stuff you listed. Very cool.

:(

I did enter my Half-Life key back in 2003, but I can't remember the password to my old Steam account and I no longer have access to my old e-mail account.

markot

Banned
nubbe said:
Why have a weekend deal on Mass Erect when you just lanced Dragon Age?
Cause people like me go and buy it after the awesome that is DA >.<

Also people play ME and go 'oh wow, ill get DA too' im guessin!

randomlyrossy said:
Wow I had no idea about this, just grabbed my disc copy of Blue Shift and got all of the stuff you listed. Very cool.
Yeah, it is over generous. YOu are much better off buying an old retail copy than buying the games off steam.

epmode

nubbe said:
Why have a weekend deal on Mass Erect when you just lanced Dragon Age?
AWESOME. Been waiting to pick up the PC version after finishing the 360 version way back when. Now I might have time to finish it before the sequel's released!

Lothars

epmode said:
AWESOME. Been waiting to pick up the PC version after finishing the 360 version way back when. Now I might have time to finish it before the sequel's released!

Yeah I am still playing it on the 360, just to get level 60 which im close but I will be buying it for 10 bucks on steam.

Can't say no to Mass Effect for only 7,5 euros, even though i don't own a pc that can run it. Thanks to the weekend deals i now own Stalker, The Witcher, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 and it's expansions, and now also Mass Effect. Plenty of games to play when i eventually buy a gaming pc.

Firestorm

archnemesis said:

I did enter my Half-Life key back in 2003, but I can't remember the password to my old Steam account and I no longer have access to my old e-mail account.
Same here =( All I have is a lousy 2007 account from Orange Box now.

Firebrand

Very nice, been wanting to play ME for a long time but the Steam version used to have a higher price in Europe and I didn't want to deal with the retail version's bullshit DRM. So bought.

I only have Mass Effect on 360, time to buy the PC version then.

archnemesis said:

I tried entering my Half-Life key a couple of weeks ago but apparently it's already been used, but I never entered it before and the game has never left my room :(

I decided to go for the Valve Complete Pack. Anyone need a guest pass for Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, or Team Fortress 2?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
archnemesis said:
I decided to go for the Valve Complete Pack. Anyone need a guest pass for Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, or Team Fortress 2?
I'd take the first two off your hands.

Mimir

GarthVaderUK said:

I tried entering my Half-Life key a couple of weeks ago but apparently it's already been used, but I never entered it before and the game has never left my room :(
People have used CD Key generators to take most of the keys by this point. I couldn't use mine a few years ago, since someone already took it. I bought the Steam version when it was $0.98, but I was annoyed that to actually reclaim my CD-key, I'd have to pay Valve $10.

Firestorm

archnemesis said:
I'd wait until Left 4 Dead 2 is out before getting that.

Argh Steam, I hate you! I hate you!

2lm0ye1.gif

Have my babies!

xSL4INx

Hmm...Mass Effect for $10. I want to like this game, I really do, but the slower than balls framerate on the 360 killed it for me. Does the game run any smoother and can you turn the shitty, shitty film grain off on the PC version?

xSL4INx said:
Hmm...Mass Effect for $10. I want to like this game, I really do, but the slower than balls framerate on the 360 killed it for me. Does the game run any smoother and can you turn the shitty, shitty film grain off on the PC version?

What kind of pc do you have? PC version is pretty much always better unless you have a non-gaming pc.

xSL4INx said:

I thought you could turn the film grain off in the 360 version too?

GarthVaderUK said:

Do you still own the box and the manual from which the CD-Key is located? You can submit a ticket to Valve about it with a picture of the CD-Key, manual, and/or box then they'll free up the key so you can use it again I believe.

archnemesis said:
Somehow I missed out on basically all Valve games except Counter-Strike I thought it be fun to finally catch up. Apparently my old CD version of Half-Life doesn't support widescreen, so I'll have to re-buy it from Steam. Is Half-Life: Source the definitive experience? Are the old expansion packs (Blue Shift and Opposing Force) widescreen compatible? Are they even worth playing at all?

What's the better value? Half-Life: Source combined with the Orange box or maybe I should just go for the Valve Complete Pack? 90€ seems a bit steep.

Just add your CD key into Steam, you'll get access to an updated Half Life and a bunch of other titles.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shattered Horizon, Massive Assault, Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance, Massive Assault Network 2, Doom Rails, Fatale, Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2, and Earthworm Jim 3D are all now available.

*cuddles retail copy of Mass Effect PC*

Yeah I'm a materialistic kind of guy. I was lucky: one elevator crash, no other giant bugs/glitches. I don't think you needed the DVD to play either.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I beat ME on 360, not gonna cave in. I'm gonna buy the successor on 360 anyway.

I realize the interface is far superior on PC and 7.49€ is rather cheap, but tbh, I have enough stuff to play as it is.

Pretty wicked deal though, anybody who hasn't played ME yet should totally bite, obviously.

Mimir

crimsonheadGCN said:
Do you still own the box and the manual from which the CD-Key is located? You can submit a ticket to Valve about it with a picture of the CD-Key, manual, and/or box then they'll free up the key so you can use it again I believe.
Nope. You have to have a receipt from the past 30 days (or something like that, I can't remember the exact timing). Otherwise, you have to pay a $10 fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom