• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

grif1020 said:
No it doesn't support it because they redesigned the interface for mouse and keyboard and it is a million times better.

Ah, I was hoping they left in gamepad support, mouse is fine but not a big a fan of WASD for third person games.

azureowl

I remember those old half life silver packages essentially gave you all those games for 3 different cd keys. The half life cd key, the counter strike cd key, or the blue shift cd key unlocked all those games across the board and gave you two more

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Firebrand said:
Ah, I was hoping they left in gamepad support, mouse is fine but not a big a fan of WASD for third person games.

Keyboard allows for hotkeys to be assigned so you don't have to use the game pausing wheel to select the power you want to use. It was a big complaint that most xbox users had. I also don't understand what people have against WASD for 3rd person games.

Tim-E

I fucking hate Steam so much. I get BL, L4D2, Torchlight and some other games and tell myself I'm done for the holiday season. And then they do this shit. Bought.

Tim-E said:
I fucking hate Steam so much. I get BL, L4D2, Torchlight and some other games and tell myself I'm done for the holiday season. And then they do this shit. Bought.

Wait for the yearly after-Christmas sale if you think that's bad. :lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Tim-E said:
Haha.

Just wait for the inevitable Christmas sale. You think your wallet hates you NOW?

EDIT: DAMMIT, FRAG!

Firestorm

Archie said:
Every game was at least 10% off with some stuff being as high as 75% off iirc. It was amazing.
Yeah. I think they had 25% off Valve Complete Collection that week. So $75 for every game Valve had made - including Left 4 Dead which came out a month and a half earlier.

shintoki said:
What was the year after christmas sale last year?

Lets just say if you hate Steam from January 5-December 24 with all of their weekend and midweek deals, you will want to destroy Valve come December 25th. The Holiday sale is simply THAT AMAZING! Prepare yourself, believe me.

Mimir said:
Nope. You have to have a receipt from the past 30 days (or something like that, I can't remember the exact timing). Otherwise, you have to pay a $10 fee.

Where did you hear anything about a $10 fee? Not that I don't believe you but this is the first time I am hearing about it.

I am not buying. I still have a sealed copy of ME for the 360 lying around. I'm not gonna buy it just because it is $10.

I'd buy it if it were $5 though.

Mimir

LovingSteam said:
Where did you hear anything about a $10 fee? Not that I don't believe you but this is the first time I am hearing about it.
That's what their support website said when I was trying to register my copy of Half-Life. I tried contacting their support about it, but they never got back to me.

However, I just checked their site again and they just said you have to provide a receipt from the past 90 days. Otherwise, you're screwed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One of the other services is giving ME1 free with ME2 preorders, so... I have to imagine Steam will do the same thing when the time comes.

Unless EA is blackballing Steam with ME like they are still doing with Sims 3. But I guess there are still two months before 2 comes out.

Mimir said:
That's what their support website said when I was trying to register my copy of Half-Life. I tried contacting their support about it, but they never got back to me.

However, I just checked their site again and they just said you have to provide a receipt from the past 90 days. Otherwise, you're screwed.

So if you don't remember your email password and haven't purchased anything within 90 days, you are screwed? Wow, that sucks.

garath

I caved for $10. I already own it on the 360 but it was a mess technically. I never did finish it. Considering it sounds greatly improved on PC, $10 was worth the price of another playthrough hopefully finishing it this time. It'll have to wait until after Dragon Age and Borderlands though! :lol

firehawk12 said:
One of the other services is giving ME1 free with ME2 preorders, so... I have to imagine Steam will do the same thing when the time comes.

Unless EA is blackballing Steam with ME like they are still doing with Sims 3. But I guess there are still two months before 2 comes out.

For whatever reason Steam usually either gets the go to put up a pre-purchase or decides to put up the pre-purchase later than everyone else.

Mimir

LovingSteam said:
So if you don't remember your email password and haven't purchased anything within 90 days, you are screwed? Wow, that sucks.
Wah? I think you're misunderstanding something. This is for games that give you a duplicate CD key when you try to register them. The password isn't important, but the receipt has to be for the game you're trying to register.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Salaadin said:
Dont buy Mass Effect...dont buy Mass Effect...dont buy Mass Effect. Help!

Archie said:

29dk4gh.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:

Really hope they do that on steam. Being considering getting ME 2 on PC when it releases, a deal like that would just make it a no-brainier.

Is it confirmed that ME2 is same day on PC as 360 -and- will continue from your PC save? I played ME1 on the 360 and wouldn't mind replaying the superior PC verison and get ready for ME2 at the same time.

52club

I've been waiting what seems to be forever for this price drop. It has been between $16-20 on Amazon for months. I'm going to try my hardest to hold off for the BF and Holiday sales now.

GWX

Hey guys, anyone here having issues when trying to open L4D2 demo? It just stands there "preparing to launch" (maybe it's online check) and then it locks up when I try to click on the window.

Help me out!

1-D_FTW

I need to start checking this thread more often. I've been waiting for Mass Effect to drop to 9.99. Didn't realize it did until I saw 3 friends in a row on my community page had purchased it.

GWX said:
Hey guys, anyone here having issues when trying to open L4D2 demo? It just stands there "preparing to launch" (maybe it's online check) and then it locks up when I try to click on the window.

Help me out!

Have you tried closing Steam and restarting it? I think most people had some kind of issues and needed a restart the first time they started it.

GWX

1-D_FTW said:
Have you tried closing Steam and restarting it? I think most people had some kind of issues and needed a restart the first time they started it.

Yes, I tried restarting. A lot, actually... Even restarted my PC a few times. :/
I played this without any issues yesterday and the day before it, but now it just doesn't work... Well, I'll try again later.

Dammit to hell. All I read was one post with the words "Mass Effect" and "$10" and my computer was already downloading. I seriously fear if Steam has a holiday sale like last year since I have a more powerful computer this time around.

SmZA

1-D_FTW said:
I need to start checking this thread more often. I've been waiting for Mass Effect to drop to 9.99.
Whenever my Steam starts up it shows an 'updates' window if there are any sales or new games availabe. Maybe you have that turned off?

Scratch that, i need to find that setting and turn it off myself. I already have way too many games (he says while downloading Mass Effect).

Javaman

GWX said:

Help me out!

Right click the game, Properties, Local files, Verify integrity.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Holy fuck Valve as if i don't have enough games to play. Painkiller games, CoH games, Secret of Monkey Island, The Witcher, Dragon Age all have come out or have been on sale recently and now Mass Effect? I already beat it on xbox but fuck i'll gladly double dip for 10 bucks.

Firestorm said:
Yeah. I think they had 25% off Valve Complete Collection that week. So $75 for every game Valve had made - including Left 4 Dead which came out a month and a half earlier.

A bunch of $1 games as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With the release of Borderlands and Dragon Age Steam started region locking games by the user's IP address. No longer does it matter what region you bought the game in, you will not have access to it until the official release date in whatever region your IP address is physically located. Honestly this really sucks for people who do a lot of international travel. Right now I think only Borderlands and Dragon Age are affected, but this could easily be the start of some really nasty slippery slope stuff where gifted games / games purchased while in another country suddenly become unavailable when in another region.

I know this probably doesn't affect very many people here and using a decent proxy is an easy way to get around the problem, but this is exactly the opposite direction of where I want digital download services to go.

I might have picked up Mass Effect if Dragon Age hadn't just came out. I still haven't really got into the 360 version which I ended up getting because I won some contest. :lol

I'm not going to spend $10 just to spend it because a game is discounted.

Twig

Banned
VGChampion said:
I might have picked up Mass Effect if Dragon Age hadn't just came out. I still haven't really got into the 360 version which I ended up getting because I won some contest. :lol

I'm not going to spend $10 just to spend it because a game is discounted.
You are not a true Steam user! GET OUT!

legend166

Zefah said:
With the release of Borderlands and Dragon Age Steam started region locking games by the user's IP address. No longer does it matter what region you bought the game in, you will not have access to it until the official release date in whatever region your IP address is physically located. Honestly this really sucks for people who do a lot of international travel. Right now I think only Borderlands and Dragon Age are affected, but this could easily be the start of some really nasty slippery slope stuff where gifted games / games purchased while in another country suddenly become unavailable when in another region.

I know this probably doesn't affect very many people here and using a decent proxy is an easy way to get around the problem, but this is exactly the opposite direction of where I want digital download services to go.

wat

nooooooooooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom