• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Javaman said:
My system is pretty lopsided with a 9800GT and an AMD 64 3000+. That's good to hear since I've got a lot more GPU power than CPU power.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I bet you can fool with the settings and have a great time with the game, but don't expect the graphics to really blow you away at the settings you'll be able to get. I STILL can't run Crysis at all Very High settings on my brand new computer, though Warhead fares better, they definitely worked in some optimizations.

BloodySinner said:
I'm running Windows 7 32 bit. Crysis Warhead keeps crashing whenever it's done loading around 89%. Thoughts, PC GAF?

Do you mean loading a level? Mind trying windowed mode (alt+enter) and reporting back?

BloodySinner said:
I'm running Windows 7 32 bit. Crysis Warhead keeps crashing whenever it's done loading around 89%. Thoughts, PC GAF?

If you're using D3DOverrider disable it for Crysis as this will make it crash when its finished loading a level, you can force triple buffering through its config file instead.

Im pretty sure this will work but just want to make sure. I have games to trade in after my 360 red ringed and was just wondering if I buy fallout 3: GOTY Edition or Left For Dead retail, will they be added to steam if input the cd key with no problems?

Kosma

Banned
Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection is up, but without a pricetag, releasedate, download option. Weird.

Also I hope this means FFXIV will be on Steam too from day one.

Volcynika

Kosma said:
Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection is up, but without a pricetag, releasedate, download option. Weird.

Also I hope this means FFXIV will be on Steam too from day one.

It's up for me for the price of $19.99 and available now. What region are you in?

Yasser

even though i have enough shit to play right now and very little interest in overlord, i couldn't resist at £6.25 :( damn you steam!

Kosma said:
There was also an ad for a big pack of indie games cheap (for $19.99 I think) that also was tantalizing. Seems like is gone now. Perhaps they accidentally got some ads up before they were supposed to appear.

I'll buy a pack of indie games to support that sector.

Edit: Yeah, the FF stuff is up (for the USA at least):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/23390/

Zzoram

arts&crafts said:
Alright thanks. I guess I will wait and buy it on steam then.

Don't buy Fallout 3 on Steam yet, I don't think the DLC is included because they haven't updated it to the GOTY. I'm sure they will eventually, but wait for it.

Kosma

Banned
Volcynika said:
It's up for me for the price of $19.99 and available now. What region are you in?

europe_flag_large.jpg

graywolf323

speculawyer said:
There was also an ad for a big pack of indie games cheap (for $19.99 I think) that also was tantalizing. Seems like is gone now. Perhaps they accidentally got some ads up before they were supposed to appear.

no that was an old weekend deal

Rufus

Quick question about Overlord... How in the fuck do you forge armor and helmets? There is no option for it as far as I can see. (Forge (or Upgrade) -> [choose metal] -> Forge is all I see.)

Baha

Rufus said:
Quick question about Overlord... How in the fuck do you forge armor and helmets? There is no option for it as far as I can see. (Forge (or Upgrade) -> [choose metal] -> Forge is all I see.)

Atm, it seems you can only forge the same type of armor & helmet you have (steel). I don't know if you'll find better materials later so I just upgraded my helmet & armor for the time being. Also went with a sword instead of the default axe.

Rufus

I know for a fact that you can forge other types of armor, I have the smelters (Durium, Arminium) that are needed to do it. It's just that I can only seem to forge new weapons. I see no way to choose what to forge, just what type of metal it should be and it's always a sword. I have absolutely no idea how to forge something else... This looks like a bug, doesn't it? :/

Zzoram

Rufus said:
I know for a fact that you can forge other types of armor, I have the smelters (Durium, Arminium) that are needed to do it. It's just that I can only seem to forge new weapons. I see no way to choose what to forge, just what type of metal it should be and it's always a sword. I have absolutely no idea how to forge something else... This looks like a bug, doesn't it? :/

It might not be a bug. You have to unlock things to forge. I forget how, it's been so long since I played Overlord 2 on 360. I think some of the things you need are unlocked as part of the main story. You also need certain types/numbers of minions I believe, as they run the forging machines.

Firestorm

So Crysis. What's the final word on whether or not it has SecuROM? =P

Also, does it support the 360 controller? I can't really turn everything up to max on my 1080p monitor but I think I'd do pretty well with big comfy couch gaming on my 720p TV using a 360 controller.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Firestorm said:

Also, does it support the 360 controller? I can't really turn everything up to max on my 1080p monitor but I think I'd do pretty well with big comfy couch gaming on my 720p TV using a 360 controller.
Last time I tried Warhead it had 360 pad support, rumble and all, so Crysis should have it as well.

MoFuzz

Firestorm said:

Both Crysis and Warhead in fact have excellent 360 gamepad support out of the box. I'm surprised that you aren't liking the performance on your PC running at 1080p though. Aren't you using a GTX 275?

You should be getting very playable framerates as long as you're running a custom config. It'll have all the eye candy you'd want as well. I'm getting over30 fps on my GTX 275 running at 1920x1200 using Mster config, it rarely dips below 30.

Firestorm

MoFuzz said:
Both Crysis and Warhead in fact have excellent 360 gamepad support out of the box. I'm surprised that you aren't liking the performance on your PC running at 1080p though. Aren't you using a GTX 275?

You should be getting very playable framerates as long as you're running a custom config. It'll have all the eye candy you'd want as well. I'm getting over30 fps on my GTX 275 running at 1920x1200 using Mster config, it rarely dips below 30.
hm. Someone link me to the custom config file please! Guess I'll buy.

Edit: and done
fuck it's way too easy to buy

Good news on 360 controller interface too. I think I might just go that route. Wireless Pad + 32" TV + 5.1 sound. I don't mind the controller handicap for aiming in single player games either.

Rufus

Rufus said:
Okay, I've got it now. It seems there's an issue with a menu option not showing up if you play with a controller...
After picking the forge or upgrade options, you are supposed to see a menu with all types of items you can forge after which you choose the type of metal and start the process. Now said menu has the sword at the very top, which probably figures into this issue. Considering the problems I've had with using the d-pad in menus (skipping to every other option, i.e. two inputs in quick succession), originally attributed to the fact that it's a 360 controller only confounds this.
I'd ask for a way to fix this, but since I won't be forging items non-stop I might just as well switch to M&KB every time there's forging to be done from here on out. sigh

MoFuzz

Firestorm said:
Does the Master Config 3.0.1 make the entire game look better and run better or just parts?

Anyone have recommendations between the two?

Mster Config does make changes to every single one of the single player levels in Crysis. I am unsure about multiplayer (was never the main draw for me). They are mostly lighting changes, but it also includes a custom config file that makes various performances/visual tweaks. It comes with a performance tuned config in addition to one tuned for more eye candy. You are prompted for which one to use if you use the .exe installer.

Haven't tried any others yet, so can't compare personally. Tried the Mster one based on suggestions from a few places around the web.

Were you basing performance on the demo version of the game? I believe they optimized the retail game a bit better. The game really lends itself to different playstyles, guns blazin, stealth or a mix of the two; It's all about the suit powers! But yeah, if it's your first play through, you'll have a ball for sure.

Firestorm

MoFuzz said:
Mster Config does make changes to every single one of the single player levels in Crysis. I am unsure about multiplayer (was never the main draw for me). They are mostly lighting changes, but it also includes a custom config file that makes various performances/visual tweaks. It comes with a performance tuned config in addition to one tuned for more eye candy. You are prompted for which one to use if you use the .exe installer.

Haven't tried any others yet, so can't compare personally. Tried the Mster one based on suggestions from a few places around the web.

Were you basing performance on the demo version of the game? I believe they optimized the retail game a bit better. The game really lends itself to different playstyles, guns blazin, stealth or a mix of the two; It's all about the suit powers! But yeah, if it's your first play through, you'll have a ball for sure.
That's good to know. I'll try that when I get around to playing it =) I'll be doing a massive format soon to get myself onto Windows 7 Pro + Snow Leopard. I was going to do it today but I keep putting it off >_>;

Spwn

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Midweek MadnessPurchase AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for 50% off until Thursday!

Good, a sale I don't have any interest in. Saves my money. Didn't like the demo of the game, but maybe someone here did.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! is 50% off. The demo seemed kinda fun.

Edit: Woops. Someone made a post about it 2 hours ago. Oh well, feel free to mock me.

Slavik81

I just got internet and started up Steam... And it ground my computer to a halt, spawning about 30 threads and maxing out both my network and the read-write on my hard drive. Worst of all, it completely stopped responding.

After waiting a half-hour and a few more start/kill cycles, I managed to open the games tab to find L4D2 50% decrypted. Admittedly, I have 28 games installed that it needed to check for updates one, but that's some pretty serious performance problem.

With all those threads, you'd think the GUI wouldn't be blocked, but...
They really need to optimize start-up.

52club

Slavik81 said:
I just got internet and started up Steam... And it ground my computer to a halt, spawning about 30 threads and maxing out both my network and the read-write on my hard drive. Worst of all, it completely stopped responding.

After waiting a half-hour and a few more start/kill cycles, I managed to open the games tab to find L4D2 50% decrypted. Admittedly, I have 28 games installed that it needed to check for updates one, but that's some pretty serious performance problem.

With all those threads, you'd think the GUI wouldn't be blocked, but...
They really need to optimize start-up.

Steam has had a lot of updates lately. I assume it is to resolve this issue, since I've also been experiencing a similar issue on my notebook. I've also had problems on my desktop, but due to the amount of resources it isn't a showstopper.

Tim-E

Watching some videos of AaaaAAaaaaaAAAAA!!! sold me on it for $7.50. It'll provide me with a few hours of fun I'm sure and for $7.50, that's all I ask.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not ENTIRELY steam related, but here goes...

If you guys are experiencing random minimizing during gameplay and you have AVG 9.0 installed, you need to install another anti-virus. As soon as I switched to Anti-Vira, all the minimizing stopped. Christ, between this and the triple-buffering/dual core freezing in L4D2, I couldn't play anything!

Kuro Madoushi said:
If you guys are experiencing random minimizing during gameplay and you have AVG 9.0 installed, you need to install another anti-virus.

THATS whats causing that???

THANK YOU! It was really pissing me off, and I didn't know what was causing it.

Dynoro

Kuro Madoushi said:
Not ENTIRELY steam related, but here goes...

If you guys are experiencing random minimizing during gameplay and you have AVG 9.0 installed, you need to install another anti-virus. As soon as I switched to Anti-Vira, all the minimizing stopped. Christ, between this and the triple-buffering/dual core freezing in L4D2, I couldn't play anything!
Ah thank you! I just swapped graphics card so had figured it was that

fanboi

Banned
Will this work?

If I change my address to an USA one in my account information and use a proxy so it looks like I surf from USA, will I be able to buy this game via Steam, and then use it on my computer at home which is connected to a Swedish ISP?

Polk

fanboi said:
Will this work?

If I change my address to an USA one in my account information and use a proxy so it looks like I surf from USA, will I be able to buy this game via Steam, and then use it on my computer at home which is connected to a Swedish ISP?
Yes it will work, but it's against steam policies. So don't bitch in the future if your account will be disabled.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
fanboi said:
Will this work?

It's not worth it because you could get your account banned and lose access to all of your games. just get a friend in the U.S. to gift the game to you.

Beware! If you think about getting Modern Warfare from G2play, don't do it. Even if the keys are legit (dunno) ActBlizz started to send lists to valve to remove those games from players gamelists. A friend of mine lost his game already and there are some more on the official forums.

This is the first time a publisher cares for this shit and now it's ActBlizz with its 550$mio game, yeah, sure. They need money ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom