• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crysis doesn't work with the deactivation tool because it doesn't use the securom activation stuff (at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't). I hope people aren't getting confused. Crysis used a standard disc check and required the disc to be in the drive when playing in the boxed release. Crysis Warhead used online activation and did not require the disc in the drive.

the only thing stopping me getting Crysis on Steam is the lack of 64 bit. i'm sure i used to get better performance on Vista with 64 bit.

i really wish I could remember who the heck i leant my copy to. i tracked down Warhead, but someone somewhere has my Crysis.

$15. so tempting...

Does anybody know if the Crysis game runs better then the Crysis Pre-Release Demo? If it's a lot of improvement I might jusy pick it up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
xKilltheMx said:
Does anybody know if the Crysis game runs better then the Crysis Pre-Release Demo? If it's a lot of improvement I might jusy pick it up.
Yes. Including custom .ini files make the game run magically.

Dunlop

Finally broke my STEAM virginity and picked up Dragon Age, beautiful interface.

My buddy is tring to find the retail Dragon Age, but it is sold out everywhere. His problem is he shuffles between 2 PC's during the day and wants to load his save via usb.

Can you install on with steam? As he would only be logged in on a single PC at a time, I assume this is ok but want to make sure before I get him to buy it this way.

rezuth

Dunlop said:

My buddy is tring to find the retail Dragon Age, but it is sold out everywhere. His problem is he shuffles between 2 PC's during the day and wants to load his save via usb.

Can you install on with steam? As he would only be logged in on a single PC at a time, I assume this is ok but want to make sure before I get him to buy it this way.
You can be logged onto steam anywhere but only once at a time. You will have all access to your games from the computer you are currently logged into.

Dunlop

rezuth said:
You can be logged onto steam anywhere but only once at a time. You will have all access to your games from the computer you are currently logged into.

sweet thanks for the quick reply

/tries to figure out how to get steam past the firewall on his work PC

xKilltheMx said:
yes, even without custom ini files v1.2 runs better. also if you haven't tried it in a while you may see better performance due to optimisations in graphics card drivers specifically targeted towards Crysis.

Dunlop said:

some games will even transfer control preferences and such back and forth for you. i have no idea if Dragon Age is one such game.

Dunlop said:

You can have your Steam games on as many PCs as you like. Heck, he could set his second PC to offline mode, so he won't have to keep getting logged out on his primary PC.

Also, holy hell at that weekend deal!! That's insane, why oh why don't I have the cash, God damn student loans company, argh!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
brain_stew said:
You can have your Steam games on as many PCs as you like. Heck, he could set his second PC to offline mode, so he won't have to keep getting logged out on his primary PC.

...hm. Really? So I could, say, set my dad up with some of my Steam games and set it to offline mode, and I'd never have to worry about getting booted off?

Does anyone play Crysis on a 4850? I tried out the demo but I'm about concerned about my graphics card overheating, I know it's supposed to run hot but it was reaching 100+ during the demo.

Hawkian said:
...hm. Really? So I could, say, set my dad up with some of my Steam games and set it to offline mode, and I'd never have to worry about getting booted off?

Yup. I have half a dozen old school and casual games on my mam's netbook (Doom, Peggle, Luxor, stuff like that) and they've been playable for a good 6 months without ever logging back in. I'm sure there's some restrictions so that people can't abuse it (as its a damn generous service, if you ask me) but aslong as you use it as you're suppose to, then go ahead.

Seriously, Steam's DRM is just excellent, its provides me with a bunch of extra benefits that I'd never get with a disc copy, so I've no issues with it.

Oh, I didn't realise their was a deal on Crysis as well, seriously people, just buy this, £20 for two awesome games, you can't go wrong.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Does anyone play Crysis on a 4850? I tried out the demo but I'm about concerned about my graphics card overheating, I know it's supposed to run hot but it was reaching 100+ during the demo.

If it overheats during normal use then its faulty, so go ahead and get it replaced under warranty if it does that. The 4850 is actually specified to run at 100+ degrees C so that's not necasarily the end of the world, though a case cleaning and wire re-routing is probably in order. You can use RivaTuner to set up a custom fan profile as well.

I ran Crysis on a 4850 and had a great experience, at 1360x768 I was able to get a steady 30fps with a custom config that delivered damn near very high graphics settings.

Blizzard

Banned
plagiarize said:
Crysis doesn't work with the deactivation tool because it doesn't use the securom activation stuff (at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't). I hope people aren't getting confused. Crysis used a standard disc check and required the disc to be in the drive when playing in the boxed release. Crysis Warhead used online activation and did not require the disc in the drive.

the only thing stopping me getting Crysis on Steam is the lack of 64 bit. i'm sure i used to get better performance on Vista with 64 bit.

i really wish I could remember who the heck i leant my copy to. i tracked down Warhead, but someone somewhere has my Crysis.

$15. so tempting...
Maybe so, but the STEAM store page for Crysis says there's a 5-activation limit Are you saying that's incorrect, or just that the retail is better (aside from the disk check)?

Hawkian said:
In theory yes, and some people "share" games that way. Some friend will share their password, and they'll just keep downloading the new games and playing them in offline mode. I would just be afraid they would have some automatic system eventually flag you for the IPs though...once your account is disabled you can't play anything even in offline mode until they reenable it.

BuddhaRockstar said:
I played some of Crysis Warhead on my 4850, but I always try to crank the fan up to 60% or more so my temperatures stay at 70C or below. I'm not AS worried about the card getting damaged (I've had it go up to 100C once or twice which is LUDICROUS), but I'm more concerned about it cooking my motherboard or other internal parts. And unfortunately my version has a loud fan, stock or whatnot. Blowing dust out and/or reseating the heatsink if you know what you're doing might help too.

Warhead seemed playable on my 4850, maybe at 720p, but Crysis might run worse unless you have a custom config, from what I hear? Who knows. Plus I have Windows 7 64-bit...

Has anyone posted on this thread about the Zero Gear Steam beta? The game is only 240 MB. :D

Trailer

1. Go to http://www.myzerogear.com/index.htm
2. Sign up for beta
3. Get the key
4. Register key with your account through Steam

f4pu2v.jpg

edit: I made a thread about it

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Couldn't resist the Overlord pack. I borrowed the first game from a friends a while back and played through the first few hours, but never got hooked by it. Guess I'll give it a second chance.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Brazil said:
Couldn't resist the Overlord pack. I borrowed the first game from a friends a while back and played through the first few hours, but never got hooked by it. Guess I'll give it a second chance.

Sooo... didn't realize there were morality choices here. Aren't you SUPPOSED to be evil???

Anybody who's played, what does this ultimately affect? I have been slaughtering every innocent I encounter :lol

Wait, so I don't have to worry about an activation limit on steam for crysis? This thread has me so confused... I want it but not if I have to call steam for more activations.

Blizzard

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait, so I don't have to worry about an activation limit on steam for crysis? This thread has me so confused... I want it but not if I have to call steam for more activations.
I'm confused too. :/ The Steam page itself says that it has 5 activations, I believe. The retail version might only have a disk check requirement, plus the 64-bit version.

Side note about your tag:
"will start using 'quote' function soon, or face a ban" -- aren't there one or two mods who use regular quotes all the time and refuse to admit why? I just thought it funny that one of the mods didn't like it, then. :p

Rubezh

Blizzard said:
In theory yes, and some people "share" games that way. Some friend will share their password, and they'll just keep downloading the new games and playing them in offline mode. I would just be afraid they would have some automatic system eventually flag you for the IPs though...once your account is disabled you can't play anything even in offline mode until they reenable it.

I logged onto my Steam account a few times from Hong Kong to see whether it would work or not. I was quite worried because I thought the Valve servers would pick up a strange IP address from the other side of the world and think I was sharing my account or I got it stolen. :lol

Fortunately, it was completely fine and I even tried downloading a few games.

Psy-Phi

What is this 64-bit nonsense you guys (Blizzard & Plagiarize) are talking about with Crysis? It runs just fine on 7 64.

Psy-Phi said:
What is this 64-bit nonsense you guys (Blizzard & Plagiarize) are talking about with Crysis? It runs just fine on 7 64.

There is a 64 bit version of the game that is included with the retail release and not in the Steam release. You get slightly better performance running it on 64 bit systems.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'm confused too. :/ The Steam page itself says that it has 5 activations, I believe. The retail version might only have a disk check requirement, plus the 64-bit version.

Side note about your tag:
"will start using 'quote' function soon, or face a ban" -- aren't there one or two mods who use regular quotes all the time and refuse to admit why? I just thought it funny that one of the mods didn't like it, then. :p

Teknopathetic.

Maybe BlackAce?

Struct09

The Steam version of Crysis Warhead doesn't have the 64-bit executable? :( Glad I didn't buy it yet, I'll grab the retail version some day.

Zzoram

I chose the Steam version of Warhead anyways because I'd rather have the game on Steam than a 64-bit executable for 2-3fps more.

nubbe

Peronthious said:
There is a 64 bit version of the game that is included with the retail release and not in the Steam release. You get slightly better performance running it on 64 bit systems.
You get even better performance by running in DX9 mode

The 64bit exe is pretty pointless since the game don't use any of the benefits a real 64bit game would have.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So both Crysis games definitely have the 5 activation limit like it says on the description page?

Warhead deffinately, Crysis does too according to some posts ive seen where peoples Steam copies bring up the error theyve ran out of installations :(

Ogs said:
Warhead deffinately, Crysis does too according to some posts ive seen where peoples Steam copies bring up the error theyve ran out of installations :(

And people are saying the deactivation/reactivation tool doesn't work on steam copies right?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
And people are saying the deactivation/reactivation tool doesn't work on steam copies right?

Ive used the Warhead deauth thing plenty of times, worked no problems with Warhead, but ive no idea if it works with Crysis (nothing comes up saying Crysis has had the auth removed), ive formatted quite a few times and havent had Crysis winge at me yet.

Ogs said:
Ive used the Warhead deauth thing plenty of times, worked no problems with Warhead, but ive no idea if it works with Crysis (nothing comes up saying Crysis has had the auth removed), ive formatted quite a few times and havent had Crysis winge at me yet.

So you own Crysis and it hasn't bitched thus far?

Yup both on Steam and never had a problem. Its possible the Warhead deauth thing is doing both games, as i always make sure to run it before formatting. Imo they should just fucking remove SecuROM from the damn things like every other EA game on Steam, i think its actually Crytek who want it in there :S (On the MyCrysis forums they keep spouting how its "protecting the customer" etc, blah).

Ogs said:
Yup both on Steam and never had a problem. Its possible the Warhead deauth thing is doing both games, as i always make sure to run it before formatting. Imo they should just fucking remove SecuROM from the damn things like every other EA game on Steam, i think its actually Crytek who want it in there :S (On the MyCrysis forums they keep spouting how its "protecting the customer" etc, blah).

Ya, protecting me by making me not want to buy it. :lol Thanks for help, I might get it now if it hasn't hassled you.

Blizzard

Banned
Ogs said:
I would really doubt it deauthorizes the earlier game. Someone already verified in this thread that if you run the deauth tool with Steam Crysis installed, it tells you that it doesn't detect any games installed that meet the criteria (since Crysis was released before whatever the cutoff date was). Sad to hear some people with Steam (presumably) ran into the limit...what's even worse is, can EA actually turn it back on then? You sure can't rebuy the game on Steam unless you can convince Valve to delete it for you.

nubbe

Javaman said:
Does crysis scale decently to older, craptastic computers?
It scales rather well if you turn down the shader and shadow quality.
But it is very GPU dependent, so how well it runs depends on how old your graphics is.

Javaman

nubbe said:
It scales rather well if you turn down the shader and shadow quality.
But it is very GPU dependent, so how well it runs depends on how old your graphics is.

My system is pretty lopsided with a 9800GT and an AMD 64 3000+. That's good to hear since I've got a lot more GPU power than CPU power.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why can't you run it?
P4 2.8GHz
1 gig ram
6600 GT

That's why. :p

Technically it RUNS, but it is not enjoyable. I have to put everything at minimum and even then my framerate chugs. :/

I'm building a new system as soon as I get a job (poor economy ftl :/)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom