• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Javaman said:
I love how the two of you are saying that I'm bitching about their decision. For that to be true, I would have to have a vested interest in it or the game. Frankly I've got no interest in buying this game. I just think the company is making a very poor business decision. Maybe it'll sell like gangbusters and prove me wrong. Who knows? In the meantime I'll just happily continue to buy fun games that compatible with my setup.

You do know who Futuremark are, right? This is their second DX10 exclusive product, btw, and the last one faired just fine.

Javaman

brain_stew said:
You do know who Futuremark are, right? This is their second DX10 exclusive product, btw, and the last one faired just fine.

I'm not seeing anything but benchmarks and Shattered Horizon on the wiki. Which one are you referring to?

zoku88 said:
Their newest benchmarking program, wtv it was called, was DX10 only, I believe.

Vantage.

Javaman said:
I'm not seeing anything but benchmarks and Shattered Horizon on the wiki. Which one are you referring to?

And nor will you, I was referring to Vantage. It may not be a game but its a retail product from them that is exclusive to DX10. All the same arguments and counter arguments used for Shattered Horizon would apply with Vantage as well.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
careksims said:
Those total hours for Dragon Age are all so wrong! I know I played more than 7hrs! :lol :lol :lol More like like 50!? and all the other games total hours are wrong too :/

yeah total playtime is kinda bugged, i only get 1 hour total in audiosurf even tough i know for certain i have played way more than that. Portal is also screwed up tough i think it's because i used to close it's process with the task manager when it wouldn't close on it's own.

kswiston

Blizzard said:
*edit* Steam is claiming:

L4D2: 210 hours (ouch)

Could you teach me to bend space and time as well? Playing 210 hours of a game that was unlocked ~90 hours ago is quite the feat! :lol

EDIT:

And to the XP gamers, angry about DX10 only games, what are people going to do in 2 years' time when the required minimum ram for new releases is bumped up to 4GB?

Javaman said:
I love how the two of you are saying that I'm bitching about their decision. For that to be true, I would have to have a vested interest in it or the game. Frankly I've got no interest in buying this game. I just think the company is making a very poor business decision. Maybe it'll sell like gangbusters and prove me wrong. Who knows? In the meantime I'll just happily continue to buy fun games that are compatible with my setup.

quit your whinning you poor, dirty peasant hobo.

52club

kswiston said:
Could you teach me to bend space and time as well? Playing 210 hours of a game that was unlocked ~90 hours ago is quite the feat! :lol

EDIT:

And to the XP gamers, angry about DX10 only games, what are people going to do in 2 years' time when the required minimum ram for new releases is bumped up to 4GB?

Maybe Demo time?

Blizzard

Banned
kswiston said:

EDIT:

I like Hawkian's Gandalf reference. Unfortunately, I was just dumb and meant L4D playtime. :(

DICE posted this about Battlefield 2142. Contains information about it coming to Steam soon:

Hey guys
Trying to get the programmer back on BF2142 still, he is being tied up on BFBC2 PC version.

As for the changelist you know this is a small update in terms of fixes and is aimed at adding more security fixes onto accounts to stop spoofing.

Other things you will see are:

* No DRM method on the exe as with BF2 (No more SafeDisc, PACE or SecuROM (depending on which version of BF2142 you have) and no more errors from EADM saying you need to log in to EADM to verify ownership even if you are logged in)
* Operation Blue Pearl
* Two brand new maps from community modder Jason Brice (more on this later)
* Northern Strike will be available to EVERYONE

Also yes, BF2142 Deluxe Edition is heading to Steam and Direct2Drive (and all other online retailers you see selling BF2 Complete Collection) once BF2142 1.51 is done.

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
DICE posted this about Battlefield 2142. Contains information about it coming to Steam soon:
I'm not really interested in 2142 (heard it wasn't as good as 1942 or bf2, dunno), but those seem like really cool moves on their part. I've been pretty impressed with my brushes with DICE, despite them being under the EA umbrella. I was in contact with the Mirror's Edge people, and they apparently had at least one meeting to try to see if they could do anything to help the little mod scene that was using the editor when it wasn't really supposed to be available. The community contact (one of the designers for the game, I think) posted a response on the forum in the end, and though it was polite, it was basically a "Nah, we can't do anything, sorry." response.

But still, it was neat to interact with them, and have someone in a major company pay attention. I've talked to that designer a few times, and it's cool to pick up tidbits like "Oh yeah, that art that you fans had been collecting that looks like Mirror's Edge, we had a lot of that sort of thing hanging up in the office for inspiration"...or him apparently having bullet hell shmups as his passion, and wishing he had the time to do a UDK modding project to make one. :p Apparently that DICE designer was also a Mario/Little Big Planet fan.

So all in all, there do seem to be people there who are actually into designing games, having fun playing games, and helping with the community. Unfortunately there are business and piracy and publishing/DLC issues to everything, but every little positive bit helps. :)

It's amazing how EA has truly gotten so much better with the PC in the last year. With releasing their catalog on Steam without DRM, supporting dedicated servers with BF:BC2, etc... while Activision is now the devil as well as IW.

Man, I had just remembered I wanted Ninja Blade last night as I was about to go to bed, then I wake up and it's on Steam?! That really freaked me out. Just bought it cuz screw paying $40 for the 360 version when the PC is only $27.

kuYuri

PTCoakley said:
Man, I had just remembered I wanted Ninja Blade last night as I was about to go to bed, then I wake up and it's on Steam?! That really freaked me out. Just bought it cuz screw paying $40 for the 360 version when the PC is only $27.

I bet you can find it for $20 or less on 360 easily now.

LovingSteam said:
It's amazing how EA has truly gotten so much better with the PC in the last year. With releasing their catalog on Steam without DRM, supporting dedicated servers with BF:BC2, etc... while Activision is now the devil as well as IW.
Yeah it's nice, but some of their games still run terrible on a pc, Shift did at least.

Strider2K99 said:
I bet you can find it for $20 or less on 360 easily now.
Naw, I looked online and Gamestop has it $33 used, and Amazon has it $40 new. I cancelled my Gamefly so I haven't looked at what they charge, but I doubt I'd find it for as cheap as I did for PC. I just hope it's a good port... I'll post my impressions later.

So i bought LFD2 and I am loving it, but I am confused about the whole steam achievement set up. Is there anyway to see all my steam achievements in one place like xboxlive and can I see other people steam achievements? or can I only see my achievements in the game I am playing? (because that would be pointless)

Volcynika

arts&crafts said:
So i bought LFD2 and I am loving it, but I am confused about the whole steam achievement set up. Is there anyway to see all my steam achievements in one place like xboxlive and can I see other people steam achievements? or can I only see my achievements in the game I am playing? (because that would be pointless)

Go to your steam profile, and look at your games list. "View stats" option for it (under the icon of L4D2), then Personal Achievements tab. Voila!

Like this: http://steamcommunity.com/id/volcynika/stats/L4D2?tab=achievements

Just replace the http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/volcynika with your URL.

DMczaf

Danne-Danger said:
Now if only someone could point them to GOG.com and the buckets upon buckets of cash I'm ready to hurl at them. :(

They have to know that their backlog would sell like crazy on any DD service. Something is going to happen in 2010.

Doytch

DMczaf said:
They have to know that their backlog would sell like crazy on any DD service. Something is going to happen in 2010.
SS2 that I don't have to hack to hell to get working? Yes please.

fresquito

WTF!

What's happened to L4D2 price? Pre-launch it was 33€, with the discpunt. Then it launched at 38€ or something like that and now it's 50€.

Ninja Blade is a pretty solid port from what I've played, and it uses the 360 controller input exactly as I would have hoped. It still looks a bit spotty in some areas, but overall I like how much cleaner it is on the PC and love having 60FPS over a locked 30, though you can choose the latter if your system isn't really up to speed.

rezuth

fresquito said:
WTF!

What's happened to L4D2 price? Pre-launch it was 33€, with the discpunt. Then it launched at 8€ or something like that and now it's 50€.
I think you are confusing it with the Overlord pack that was 8 euro

MoFuzz

PTCoakley said:
Ninja Blade is a pretty solid port from what I've played, and it uses the 360 controller input exactly as I would have hoped. It still looks a bit spotty in some areas, but overall I like how much cleaner it is on the PC and love having 60FPS over a locked 30, though you can choose the latter if your system isn't really up to speed.

Mother of god, I can only imagine the awesomeness of Ninja Gaiden I & especially II on PC. No slowdown and no crappy sub-HD.

I can dream, can't I?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can't get Overlord (or Raising Hell) to work on Windows 7 64-bit. The game opens, and then it gets stuck on the loading screen with the goblins running. The animations keep going forever, and nothing happens.

Any tips?

epmode

Brazil said:
I can't get Overlord (or Raising Hell) to work on Windows 7 64-bit. The game opens, and then it gets stuck on the loading screen with the goblins running. The animations keep going forever, and nothing happens.

Any tips?
Well, my firewall/virus scanner likes to keep games from running unless I set it to Training Mode before starting it for the first time. I doubt that that's your problem but it wouldn't hurt to disable everything before launching.

Twig

Banned
fresquito said:
Sorry, I meant to write 38 >_<
Sounds like 25% off. Another discount. The first one was with the 4-pack deal. This is for.. I dunno, post-launch fun time.

It was discounted before and is now at full price is why it's 50.

EDIT: Yeah, the full price is 50. So with the prorder discount plus the 4-pack discount, it's 33.75 per person. Without the 4-pack discount it's 37.50. Now it's back to full price.

I don't think it launched at 37.50, but maybe it did. Maybe they let the preorder discount carry over for a few days. I already had it so didn't pay attention!

ArjanN

MoFuzz said:
Mother of god, I can only imagine the awesomeness of Ninja Gaiden I & especially II on PC. No slowdown and no crappy sub-HD.

I can dream, can't I?

Yeah, seeing how awesome the PC version of DMC4 looks really makes me want more of that genre on PC. Ninja Blade is OK as a God of War/Ninja Gaiden/Shinobi mashup, better than I thought given a lot of the negativity, (the QTE sequences are probably actually my favourite part, because they're so incredibly over the top.) but it really makes me want something more substantial like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta for PC.

-Rogue5-

Whenever this thread gets bumped, I come in here expecting to see what the STEAM sale of the week is... Can the OP be updated with that? I keep feeling like I'm missing out on $5 deals...

ArjanN

-Rogue5- said:
Whenever this thread gets bumped, I come in here expecting to see what the STEAM sale of the week is... Can the OP be updated with that? I keep feeling like I'm missing out on $5 deals...

Or you could just start up Steam every weekend. Which you should be doing anyway. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ArjanN said:
Yeah, seeing how awesome the PC version of DMC4 looks really makes me want more of that genre on PC. Ninja Blade is OK as a God of War/Ninja Gaiden/Shinobi mashup, better than I thought given a lot of the negativity, (the QTE sequences are probably actually my favourite part, because they're so incredibly over the top.) but it really makes me want something more substantial like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta for PC.

I agree with this so much. We PC gamers are capable of hooking up controllers to our PCs so that we can play the games properly. I would looove to play the Ninja Gaiden games on my PC with my X360 controller at a smooth 120 fps at 1080p with some good amount of AA. Bayonetta looks like a lot of fun too. I wouldn't mind GoW either but emulators have that almost perfected.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone ever seen something like this? I started Steam today, and looked at my games list, and then noticed that Steam was using 40-70% of my CPU. It kept going after a couple of minutes, and I think it was occasionally hitting the hard disk too, so I killed it and restarted. It doesn't seem to have done it since then, but it was kind of weird, since it didn't seem to be syncing or updating any games.

Kind of related note, my Steam hardly ever seems to display game updates anymore, I have to manually right click and view the news.

I've noticed that happen a couple times too (Steam hogs 50%+ CPU when not apparently doing anything). I just End Task it and restart. No idea why it happens.

ArjanN said:
I'd love to play Bayonetta on the PC. And yeah Ninja Blade is pure cheese in some (okay, most) cases, but it's so fun and takes the best parts of all the games you listed.

for all the Windows 7 users:
Does anyone know why my desktop pc doesn't show up "recently played" in the jumplist? My notebook does it just fine though.

I really like this feature but only if it is available :D

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Has anyone ever seen something like this? I started Steam today, and looked at my games list, and then noticed that Steam was using 40-70% of my CPU. It kept going after a couple of minutes, and I think it was occasionally hitting the hard disk too, so I killed it and restarted. It doesn't seem to have done it since then, but it was kind of weird, since it didn't seem to be syncing or updating any games.

Kind of related note, my Steam hardly ever seems to display game updates anymore, I have to manually right click and view the news.

I wonder if it's defragging some of the games in the background?

So Serious Sam HD - The First Encounter unlocks in 5 hours, is anyone else going to be playing it?

Edit: Nevermind, finally found the official thread. I thought everyone forgot about this game.

steam update

Updated Steam back-end to address Left 4 Dead 2 achievement issues. Any achievements previously earned that do not appear in your list will be restored this week

Good. I want my achievements to show. Now they just need to make my game stats appear as well too ;P

When is Borderlands DLC suppose to hit? I really don't want to wait until next week.

Eaten By A Grue said:
So Serious Sam HD - The First Encounter unlocks in 5 hours, is anyone else going to be playing it?

Edit: Nevermind, finally found the official thread. I thought everyone forgot about this game.
Much as I would LOVE to play it on the pc, I want to play it on the 360 so I can unlock some achievements :S
I also have about 3000 spare points so it saves me money

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diablohead said:
Much as I would LOVE to play it on the pc, I want to play it on the 360 so I can unlock some achievements :S
I also have about 3000 spare points so it saves me money

Serious Sam HD will utilize Steam Achievements.

Shard said:
Serious Sam HD will utilize Steam Achievements.
Cool as they are it's something I have no interest in, maybe because in the past people were easily editing their steam achievement lists to unlock gear in TF2, so to me if it's that easy to edit, it's not worth the time :(

I also only have like 3 games which have them.

Volcynika

DMPrince said:
WTF Gearbox.

Yeah, their Facebook fan page posted the trailer for it and some PC people commented on it and were complaining, and then some other people told them to be quiet and quit whining :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom