• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Darn it. I was like, "Oh yeah, Plants vs. Zombies...kind of fun but I don't really care for tower defense. At least I own it so I don't have to pay $5!"

..."Oh wait, I only played the DEMO."

:lol I guess I'll drop $5 to support the developers. Seemed like a humorous, well-done game at least!

Sloegr

legend166 said:
What exactly is Plants VS Zombies? I've heard a lot about it, and for $5 I might bite.

The demo is a one hour trial of the game IIRC. That's the best way to get a feel for the game. Before my hour was up, I bought the full version.

legend166 said:
What exactly is Plants VS Zombies? I've heard a lot about it, and for $5 I might bite.
Tower defense. Instead of setting up turrets along the path of the critters you set up a wall of defense that the zombies will throw themselves against. In addition to that you have a bunch of extra modes where you, for example, get to play as the zombies.

It's great. You get a lot of game for $5.

KaYotiX

Banned
Chiaroscuro said:
Must resist... wait for the XBLA version... achievements...

5 bucks...

bought the PC version back when it came out for $10 on some deal, i love it and will also buy the 360 version.

More gaffers need to play Shattered Horizon, especially since lately people were given free trials in the official thread, plaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Rubezh

* Username: Rubezh
* Steam_ID: STEAM_0:0:6641052
* Profile ID: 76561197973547832

Account value: $1684.4
$2338.58 without packages

This makes me feel rather sad, damn Valve and their fantastic deals.

TheExodu5

Banned
One feature I'd like to add to Steam for games that can't be preloaded: start downloading the moment they're released.

Of course, that could be a huge burden on the servers, so I don't know if we'll ever see it.

markot

Banned
Wait >_< Garrys mod has achievements?! wtf!

That thing seems to sell well, #3 in the under 10 buck catagory. Garry must be loaded!

Steam needs a scheduler for us poor aussies with our crappy internets >.>!

They would have to massively simplify the game to ever put it out on Xbox 360. A lot of the game is frantic clicking to pick up sunlight and money and I can't imagine trying to aim the Cob Cannons in the middle of all the chaos since it's not even grid based aiming.

MoFuzz

CrookedRain said:
They would have to massively simplify the game to ever put it out on Xbox 360. A lot of the game is frantic clicking to pick up sunlight and money and I can't imagine trying to aim the Cob Cannons in the middle of all the chaos since it's not even grid based aiming.

I guess even tower defence games will benefit from a little auto aim for the console version.

Who knew?

TheExodu5 said:
One feature I'd like to add to Steam for games that can't be preloaded: start downloading the moment they're released.

Of course, that could be a huge burden on the servers, so I don't know if we'll ever see it.

Only feature I could ask for is Steam Cloud save game support on EVERY game. I mean, even if I had to do do something from the Steam UI, like right-click the game and do a "Find and Store Save Game Content" sorta thing.

I guess it'd be a lot to ask for Steam to know the path to EVERY game's save location... but still :)

Any game that is released from now on should have this (if it doesn't).

shrapnelmagnet said:
Only feature I could ask for is Steam Cloud save game support on EVERY game. I mean, even if I had to do do something from the Steam UI, like right-click the game and do a "Find and Store Save Game Content" sorta thing.

I guess it'd be a lot to ask for Steam to know the path to EVERY game's save location... but still :)

That is a LOT of data to store. It's pretty easy to amass gigs worth of saves if you don't delete old savegames.

TheExodu5

Banned
shrapnelmagnet said:

That'd be awesome.

WHOAguitarninja said:
That is a LOT of data to store. It's pretty easy to amass gigs worth of saves if you don't delete old savegames.

Well I'd assume Steam Cloud would hold only a small buffer of saves per game. Or simply, games would be designed with it in mind, so that the save only really needs to keep track of progress. For HL2, for example, you'd only need to save the current level...no need to keep a library of quicksaves on the cloud.

I just wish save games would all go into 1 damn folder. I know alot of devs are putting them in Documents > My Games now, but damn i hate the ones who hide them in out of the way hidden places like inside AppData somewhere. Vista (and W7) have a Saved Games folder in the user area, cant devs just use that ? Mind you, even then they still cock it up, C&C3 put only the hard saves in there, not unlocked campaign progress. *Sigh*, if theres 1 thing i wish PC gaming learnt from consoles, its save game management.

Cloud saves FTW though.

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
Valve has never done any Black Friday/Thanksgiving specific deals, not saying they won't change, but they haven't before.
And they've never announced what's going on sale before it goes on sale (we only know that there IS going to be a sale) so it's not like we'd know what sweet deals are going to be available anyway. IF there are any.

Volcynika

TheOneGuy said:
And they've never announced what's going on sale before it goes on sale (we only know that there IS going to be a sale) so it's not like we'd know what sweet deals are going to be available anyway. IF there are any.

Valve sales are not known...they just...

happen

Caoz

Plants Vs Zombies ?

5 bucks...? Sold !

Those guys really are mean. There is no credit card confirmation needed !!!

I'm Really happy with supporting PopCap. Peggle is my son's all time favorite game.

Tim-E

Metalic Sand said:
Trying to resist this for the XBLA version.

Why not just get it now or is the XBLA version supposed to have extra shit?
Those guys really are mean. There is no credit card confirmation needed !!!

Yeah, I fear for my financial security now that Steam saves credit card information.

Volcynika

Archie said:
I know about the after Christmas mega sale, but did Steam have a Black Friday sale last year?

Never has had a Black Friday sale in the past. Not sure why, but maybe because Black Friday is only specific to the US (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), while holiday stuff is still for everyone.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Plants is an excellent game that was fully worth the full price I paid for it.

I only wish there was MORE of everything, which smacks of how good it is. Here's to PvsZ2 someday!

graywolf323

the steam calculator doesn't like me and keeps saying my account is private :-/ I'd tried both my custom url and my Steam id and my profile is definitely set to public

Frawdder

*shakes fist at Steam* Gah, got my money again! Enjoyed the PvZ demo enough to pick it up...I swear this time is the last time I buy anything from Steam before the Christmas/New Year sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom