• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
LovingSteam said:
EA has already said that all of their future PC releases will hit Steam so I don't trust this guy.

While avoiding steam with a multiplayer-based FPS is suicide on the pc, EA still hasn't released their biggest PC release of 2009 on steam...

Rubezh

LovingSteam said:
EA has already said that all of their future PC releases will hit Steam so I don't trust this guy.

I remember seeing a Twitter post from a DICE guy alluding to the possibility of having the other BF PC games on Steam (1942, Vietnam, 2142) if BF2 sells well. I can't be bothered to find the link but I'm definitely sure I saw it.

Rubezh said:
I remember seeing a Twitter post from a DICE guy alluding to the possibility of having the other BF PC games on Steam (1942, Vietnam, 2142) if BF2 sells well. I can't be bothered to find the link but I'm definitely sure I saw it.
Yup. The same person said EA will be releasing their future PC releases on Steam same day as other DD outlets.

So trackmania just updated to "Trackmania United Forever: Star Edition" what is this?

edit: nevermind, found out what it is...
"Here is an update including the StarTrack campaign made by players, 147 new tracks available for the solo mode"

So now I have to figure out whether to bite the bullet and get King's Bounty Gold now or wait for a possible end of year sale. That's the problem with steam, you know the day after you drop money on something it's going to be $2.

Absoludacrous said:
So now I have to figure out whether to bite the bullet and get King's Bounty Gold now or wait for a possible end of year sale. That's the problem with steam, you know the day after you drop money on something it's going to be $2.

I would wait for the sale, it is only a month away. But who am I to talk as I just purchased Dawn of Discovery :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Bidermaier said:
I was about to download the Monkey Island and it is an over 2GB download.

How is that possible?

1.2GB of 1080p artwork + 1GB of audio (music + voice... I imagine there is a lot of text to be read aloud - roughly 800 megs of voice vs 100 megs of music, I'm correct).

Also 200 megs for a "dotnet35" installer that sits in the directory :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bidermaier said:
I was about to download the Monkey Island and it is an over 2GB download.

How is that possible?
Recorded music, recorded voices, high definition 2d assets. But yeah, 2.5gB is a lot.

Minsc

Gold Member
Easy_D said:
Recorded music, recorded voices, high definition 2d assets. But yeah, 2.5gB is a lot.

I don't think it's quite that bad, I mean, Curse of Monkey Island was about 1GB, and that was only 480p, add in another 1GB for the added resolution of artwork and it's right in line.

3D games can actually be smaller than 2D ones when you are at high enough resolutions, because the 3D games tend to not take up more space at 720p vs 1080p.

To add insult to injury, the game doesn't make use of any real lossless compression either. You can simply enable compress folders on the game's directory and reduce it to about 1.5GB from 2.5GB.

Javaman

LovingSteam said:
Yup. The same person said EA will be releasing their future PC releases on Steam same day as other DD outlets.

Just a rumor, but I heard that they are working on porting 2142, but the main guy doing it is tied up with the pc version of BC2

Minsc said:
3D games can actually be smaller than 2D ones when you are at high enough resolutions, because the 3D games tend to not take up more space at 720p vs 1080p.

Taken to the extreme is stuff like .kkrieger. It's unfreaking believable that the game is only 97,000bytes in size! You can fit over 12 copies on a single floppy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger
Kkrieger_screenshot_01.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Javaman said:
Taken to the extreme is stuff like .kkrieger. It's unfreaking believable that the game is only 97,000bytes in size! You can fit over 12 copies on a single floppy.
Ah yes, farbrausch is at its best when it's about generating visual data. My favorite demogroup still.

Zzoram

TouchMyBox said:
While avoiding steam with a multiplayer-based FPS is suicide on the pc, EA still hasn't released their biggest PC release of 2009 on steam...

They are releasing everything else on Steam. They kept The Sims franchise off Steam because that target audience isn't the type to even know about Steam. With Spore and all their other big franchises though, there is a typical hardcore gamer audience that uses Steam.

Absoludacrous said:

1C has been known to binge sell their entire catalog from time to time on Gamersgate-they might do so as well on Steam during their holiday sale.

Personally I don't think the varying prices are a real problem. If you pay the extra cash you get the advantage of playing the game now or in a time of your choosing-should you wait for a sale then you are at the mercy of the magical Steam fairy in terms of when you get to purchase the game you want to play. If anything, the huge number of sales has likely drastically reduced the overall price per game that PC gamers pay in dramatic fashion, and that's a good thing for consumers.

graywolf323

Zzoram said:
They are releasing everything else on Steam. They kept The Sims franchise off Steam because that target audience isn't the type to even know about Steam. With Spore and all their other big franchises though, there is a typical hardcore gamer audience that uses Steam.

The Sims 3 is on Impulse and Direct2Drive though :-/

Yeah even if that is actually their reasoning it's incredibly stupid, a more casual audience may not know about or care about Steam but there are plenty of hardcore gamers who still play the Sims games, I bet they'd sell pretty well on Steam. Heck Steam even allows for DLC now so they could easily sell the no doubt numerous expansions that will come out.

Thomper

cms382 said:
I wish the games tab displayed like this, but in a grid, not a list.
It wouldn't work for non-steam shortcuts, though.
That works when you have about 20 games. When, after these horrible (for your wallet) sales like those of the past week, you have about a 100 or more games, a grid with images would get horribly long, confusing, and messy.

Thomper said:
That works when you have about 20 games. When, after these horrible (for your wallet) sales like those of the past week, you have about a 100 or more games, a grid with images would get horribly long, confusing, and messy.

Limit it to just your favorites then.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Thomper said:
There are people who manage thousands of movies using grids of images. It would be cool if Steam could produce an optional, nice looking game browser, even if it is just so you can admire your collection.

MoFuzz

God damnit, $5 Steam games are like my Kryptonite. I just can't say no to that shit, ya know?

You'd think that after the big 5 day sale, they'd let us relax for at least a few days.

Steam is cruel.

Doytch

Well well well. RPS just had a story about Zeno Clash and I was thinking about picking it up. Valve copying RPS's advent calendar of games? Hmmm.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rogue Warrior Now Available!
December 1, 2009, 9:31 am - Valve - Product Release
Bethesda Softworks brings to Steam: Rogue Warrior! Rogue Warrior is a character-driven, first-person-shooter, featuring Richard 'Demo Dick' Marcinko's explosive personality in an action-packed single player campaign, and intense multiplayer combat.

bathala

Banned
Steam has that Top Games Under $5 category

#1 is Mirror's Edge $19 :lol

#3 Evil Genius $10

damn inflation is in US already

might have been from the week long sale

bathala said:

#3 Evil Genius $10

It's best sellers for the previous 24 hours. Tomorrow will be the best sellers for today.

markot

Banned
randomlyrossy said:
Yeah even if that is actually their reasoning it's incredibly stupid, a more casual audience may not know about or care about Steam but there are plenty of hardcore gamers who still play the Sims games, I bet they'd sell pretty well on Steam. Heck Steam even allows for DLC now so they could easily sell the no doubt numerous expansions that will come out.
Not to mention, pop cap seems to do damn well on Steam >.< And you dont get more casual then that! How many HARDCORE! gamers got that? Or peggle? And such! And dip into puzzle games here or there... when on special but still!

Feels like EA is a little scared of Steam or something, I dont get it... they are crazy some times!

MNC

Completed Zeno Clash already. Good game, really nice art direction/design/notdeco, but combat system needs work.

graywolf323

bathala said:

#3 Evil Genius $10

they just haven't taken the games that had been on sale out yet

at least I can take a breather since I already have Zeno Clash (won some contest where a guy gifted a Steam copy last time it was on sale)

I'm torn between wanting a good weekend deal though or a crappy one so my checking account can recover :-/

Twig

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Anybody who doesn't jump on Zeno Clash for that price must hate PC games or gaming in general.

Game is totally butter.
I dunno about butter. It DOES have its flaws. No one should go in expecting perfection.

But as far as first-person close-combat brawlers go, it is king. (King of a very small kingdom, granted, but a well-deserved status nonetheless.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You've convinced me to get it with your "not butter but margarine" wisdom.

Plus any game made by 3 or fewer people that is above average deserved to be rewarded.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hawkian said:
You've convinced me to get it with your "not butter but margarine" wisdom.

Plus any game made by 3 or fewer people that is above average deserved to be rewarded.

Would you pay 5$ for a stunning piece of art? Why do people need convincing for this deal? This is the type of game that you should be thrilled to buy to support indie devs, especially a game this good and at this price :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stallion Free said:
Would you pay 5$ for a stunning piece of art? Why do people need convincing for this deal? This is the type of game that you should be thrilled to buy to support indie devs, especially a game this good and at this price :(

...I bought it, and I needed convincing because I knew nothing about it.

Would you pay $5 for a piece of art with a cloth draped over it that you had neither ever seen before nor heard described to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom