• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The game of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic does not begin until you meet HK-47. Events prior to this are a prologue.

No45

arts&crafts said:
Damn, alright. I sent a ticket into steam to see what they can do.
They were really helpful for me earlier in the year when I recovered an old account with them. They'll look to establish proof that you own the games/accounts (I provided a photo of the CD key from one of the games registered to the account), so I guess as long as you can do that you'll be OK.

Davidion

Hawkian said:
...anybody else get it?

I bought Osmos and Windosill (not on sale but three bucks and looks adorable) but thought I could write this one off. These sub-$5 sales are kiiiilling me. I don't know if I'd ever play it. Online co-op though... my favorite.

I've had it for months. It's a simple little shooter with lots of customizability and is generally pretty fun to play.

Even if you don't play online the basic SP is at least worth a meager $2.

crimsonheadGCN said:
I haven't seen it posted yet, but there is a new section on the Steam store homepage for Computer Hardware. Mainly Alienware right now and it basically just directs you to dells website from within the Steam browser:

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/alienware/

Valve selling Steam to Dell, you heard it here first.

P.S. this most likely means that they have other companies lined up to also have their machines come preloaded with Steam.

Firestorm

crimsonheadGCN said:
I know. Just found it interesting that Valve put a Hardware section on their store front. Wonder if they plan to add anybody else soon?
If they install Steam on prebuilt computers instead of that WildTangent spyware bullshit maybe.

Spwn

Bought Osmos yesterday and just a few minutes ago my girlfriend made me pre-purchase Zombie Driver. Yes, believe me or not, my gf made me do it.

taku

Roxas said:
Does anybody have a spare guest pass for Shattered Horizon? looks cool, wouldnt mind trying it out before buying.
I do, man. Just pm me with an email and you'll get your pass.

Javaman

2vsrsbr.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just refreshed a bunch and was able to get Trine in my shopping cart. I have most of the other games :(

I am never getting games at release no matter how badly i want them. These deals make me feel bad and I could totally buy more games if I waited building up a larger back catalogue.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
ah damn, I missed Plants Vs. Zombies. I had it in my cart for days, and thought I had another day to pull the trigger.

Oh and KotOR has a slow start, but stick with it, it's worth it. I remember being bored for about the first hour, and then it got really good and hooked me for a long time. I had the same problem with Mass Effect. Really, every Bioware game has a hump at first, but slogging through that first hour is worth it.

Hawkian said:
Yay, Borderlands was still cheaper through the 4-pack than this sale.

...by $0.49.

Get it noooooooooow
Apparently the sale applies to the four-pack too, so you can get it for about $25.. which saddens me because I paid full price a couple weeks ago. Curse you steam :(

Yup, I am learning more and more than if you can wait past the first week of a game's release, then it's most likely worth waiting for the inevitable sale. Usually the need to play a game right away (Borderlands) is based upon hype and seeing your friends play (which dies down a week or two after). I have been waiting for Spore to go on sale since last December and lo and behold, here we are. Same with Overlord 2 a few weeks ago.

mug

Borderlands on PC isn't exactly the best port. Online play was completely broken when I tried to play - really disappointing for a coop based game. The unplayability is mainly caused by the lack of dedicated servers, P2P isn't the best solution when it comes to a game that requires a lot of bandwidth. I'm probably going to get Trine :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, GameSpy sucks many dicks, but I can't really hop on the "bad port" train. It runs great for me, and it has many more options for customizability than the console versions. Sticking to "public" games (which friends can join of course) with ridiculous names has eliminated my online woes too.

Firestorm

mug said:
Borderlands on PC isn't exactly the best port. Online play was completely broken when I tried to play - really disappointing for a coop based game. The unplayability is mainly caused by the lack of dedicated servers, P2P isn't the best solution when it comes to a game that requires a lot of bandwidth. I'm probably going to get Trine :p
p2p is fine. the pc problems are:

1. an interface built for controller rather than keyboard + mouse
2. options for changing standard settings are not available in game and require editting ini files directly
3. DLC and Patches coming weeks late even without a certification process

Volcynika

Hawkian said:
Well, GameSpy sucks many dicks, but I can't really hop on the "bad port" train. It runs great for me, and it has many more options for customizability than the console versions. Sticking to "public" games (which friends can join of course) with ridiculous names has eliminated my online woes too.

The fact you can't make private games that friends can join without doing all this port forwarding crap and even THEN sometimes it doesn't work makes the whole idea of a co-op game a failure. I stick to playing LAN when my brother's around, but outside of that, such an awful, awful PC game if you want to play with friends a lot.

I beat Dragon Age (steam version )yesterday and want to delete it from my hard drive to open up space for fallout 3 goty. Does deleting the game delete the saves as well? I'd rather not lose them.

Zzoram

drakesfortune said:
ah damn, I missed Plants Vs. Zombies. I had it in my cart for days, and thought I had another day to pull the trigger.

Oh and KotOR has a slow start, but stick with it, it's worth it. I remember being bored for about the first hour, and then it got really good and hooked me for a long time. I had the same problem with Mass Effect. Really, every Bioware game has a hump at first, but slogging through that first hour is worth it.

Either wait for Dec.26 and buy it then, or just buy it now. I got it for $10 and don't regret it at all.

blackMamba1187 said:
I beat Dragon Age (steam version )yesterday and want to delete it from my hard drive to open up space for fallout 3 goty. Does deleting the game delete the saves as well? I'd rather not lose them.

Generally not. I don't have my desktop so I can't check now, but I'm pretty sure the saves are stored in Documents/My Games or somewhere like that, in which case they'll stay right there.
drakesfortune said:

It's not nearly as slow a start as KOTOR II. I replayed that one a few times, and the beginning on the space station was always a pain.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'll have to, again, reiterate that if you're complaining about port routing on Borderlands for online gameplay you're a complete and utter moron. Xbox Live suffers the same problem: If you don't have Xbox Live Ports routed to your Xbox, you get either Closed or Moderate NAT, which gives you problems on the amount of games you can join. It's just transparent to you because the matchmaking finds you games which you can join (aka, games where the host has the ports properly routed).

The only difference is that on Xbox Live you only have to do it once, because all the games use the same Port. On PC, each game use it's own port, which is why you need multiple NAT records on your router (at least one for each game).

Company of Heroes also has the same "problem". Which is not a problem, it's something that happens when the gameplay is Peer2Prer. The only recent game that doesn't suffer from such a problem is Left4Dead, and I'm pretty sure that's because they use a port that's already routed to your computer thanks to Steam. I don't want to get too specific, but there's no way in hell any other game could do it without being integrated to SteamWorks.

If you didn't understand half of what I said in previous sentences, you're better off buying a Mac, paying four times the price for the same hardware and playing the MacOS equivalent of Solitaire.

Blizzard

Banned
drizzle said:
I'll have to, again, reiterate that if you're complaining about port routing on Borderlands for online gameplay you're a complete and utter moron. Xbox Live suffers the same problem: If you don't have Xbox Live Ports routed to your Xbox, you get either Closed or Moderate NAT, which gives you problems on the amount of games you can join. It's just transparent to you because the matchmaking finds you games which you can join (aka, games where the host has the ports properly routed).

The only difference is that on Xbox Live you only have to do it once, because all the games use the same Port. On PC, each game use it's own port, which is why you need multiple NAT records on your router (at least one for each game).

Company of Heroes also has the same "problem". Which is not a problem, it's something that happens when the gameplay is Peer2Prer. The only recent game that doesn't suffer from such a problem is Left4Dead, and I'm pretty sure that's because they use use port that's already routed to your computer thanks to Steam. I don't want to get too specific, but there's no way in hell any other game could do it without being integrated to SteamWorks.

If you didn't understand half of what I said in previous sentences, you're better off buying a Mac, paying four times the price for the same hardware and playing the MacOS equivalent of Solitaire.
This is mostly true, except that there are issues where even people who DO forward all their ports can't have friends join their games, even people on their Steam friends list and Borderlands friends list. I've forwarded the appropriate ports, had other friends join my games, but it still apparently sometimes doesn't work when you invite some people. So either the client side needs forwarding as well, or there are other issues. It's just not very reliable, and I really don't like the GameSpy interface.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Blizzard said:
This is mostly true, except that there are issues where even people who DO forward all their ports can't have friends join their games, even people on their Steam friends list and Borderlands friends list. I've forwarded the appropriate ports, had other friends join my games, but it still apparently sometimes doesn't work when you invite some people. So either the client side needs forwarding as well, or there are other issues. It's just not very reliable, and I really don't like the GameSpy interface.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I fucking hate GameSpy with a passion. If you pay attention, the Gamespy "advertisement" screen says the copyright is from 1999-2009. It didn't work back in 1999, it doesn't work now.

I'll say that I don't do massive online sessions in Borderlands, but each and every single time I had a problem, either my friend didn't have the ports mapped properly (or at all) or simply a matter of going back to the main menu and trying to join the game again fixed it.

Just don't say the game is a poor portjob when 95% of your problems would just vanish if you learned how to use your router.

Getting back on topic, I really hope Torchlight get's a 50% deal either the next days or on Dec 26th. I really want to add it to my back catalog of games I wont play anytime soon. :lol

SyNapSe

Man these deals are so hard to resist. I never did get into L4d, at $7.49 it has to be worth it.

Ghostbusters a bad deal at $9.99? That seems like a pretty recent release and I love the movies.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm waiting til I get my Asus 1201N netbook to start playing Torchlight and KOTOR. I know those two games will be on constantly since I can take it anywhere and those will run flawlessly. Can't wait. :)

SyNapSe said:
Man these deals are so hard to resist. I never did get into L4d, at $7.49 it has to be worth it.

Ghostbusters a bad deal at $9.99? That seems like a pretty recent release and I love the movies.

If you've got a fast CPU (~3ghz dual core or any triple/quad core) and a 360 pad then go for it, the game is one huge nostalgia trip.

Mrbob

SyNapSe said:

I played a few missions in Ghostbusters today after buying it, game is fun. Like Brain Stew suggested, game is a bit resource heavy.

I'm also using a wired 360 pad with the game.

Speaking of wired 360 pad, Borderlands works pretty well with one as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mrbob said:
Speaking of wired 360 pad, Borderlands works pretty well with one as well.

But not any other pad. For other sufferers of this phenomenon, see: Batman: AA, Gears of War

Oh Total Game Control, I have no idea what I'd do without you

is the friend list for anyone acting weird as well? i noticed one of my friend had 18 minutes last logged in and now it's back to 10 hours.

Hawkian said:
But not any other pad. For other sufferers of this phenomenon, see: Batman: AA, Gears of War

Oh Total Game Control, I have no idea what I'd do without you
I got a PS3 controller working fine with Arkham Asylum. I used Xinput which basically makes the game think the PS3 controller is a 360 controller.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...and I use a Dual Action 2 pc pad for all of the games I mentioned. Total Game Control is my equivalent of Xinput. I was just saying none of them support anything but a 360 pad out of the box.

According to a poster at the SA forums, Bad Company 2 is unlikely to appear on Steam. The guy works for the company (Combat Testing) that is handling the testing for the game, so he might have some access to this sort of information. I guess we'll find out soon.

crimsonheadGCN said:
According to a poster at the SA forums, Bad Company 2 is unlikely to appear on Steam. The guy works for the company (Combat Testing) that is handling the testing for the game, so he might have some access to this sort of information. I guess we'll find out soon.

EA has already said that all of their future PC releases will hit Steam so I don't trust this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom