• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

Rubezh said:
Giant Bomb said:
The Games on Demand side of the Games for Windows Live client won't roll out until December 15, but it'll launch with a handful of games, including Resident Evil 5, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Battlestations: Pacific, and new GFWL-enabled versions of World of Goo and Osmos. A free game--a GFWL-enabled version of Tinker--will also be offered.
When I thought about GfWL games on demand, I was thinking Halo 2, Gears of War, Viva Pinata and other games that Microsoft has either developed or published. This is a bit of a joke since all of these games are already available on Steam. Who in their right mind in the GfWL department came up with this idea? :lol

I wonder if that means my Steam copies of Osmos and World of Goo will suddenly have achievements? :p

MoFuzz

webrunner said:
World of Goo on steam already have Steam achievements, I doubt they'd have both.

But Steam achievements do nothing for my already enormous e-peen, only Gamerscore will satisfy the hunger!

Salaadin

So how good is TR:Underworld?

I briefly owned the 360 version and ran into glitches with Lara getting stuck on things, not animating her jumps, etc and it really annoyed me to the point where I didnt want to play anymore. It sucked since I loved Legend and Anniversary.

Is the PC version superior?

datamage

MoFuzz said:
But Steam achievements do nothing for my already enormous e-peen, only Gamerscore will satisfy the hunger!

The PC Master Race does not need a Gamerscore. Being on the PC is enough for the e-peen.

Blizzard

Banned
Salaadin said:
So how good is TR:Underworld?

I briefly owned the 360 version and ran into glitches with Lara getting stuck on things, not animating her jumps, etc and it really annoyed me to the point where I didnt want to play anymore. It sucked since I loved Legend and Anniversary.

Is the PC version superior?
I haven't played the 360 version, but the PC version looks pretty good and runs pretty well. I think I actually found the 360 pad easier to use than kb/m because fast mouselook felt jerky or something to me, and the smooth camera turning with the 360 controller didn't give me a headache. Unfortunately, the d-pad controls for using medkits and stuff drove me NUTS. I would try to press left to use a camera or whatever, and instead, insta-medkit use at full health. Stupid d-pad.

If glitches bothered you though, I'm guessing the same ones are in there.

Salaadin

DMPrince said:
How come i can't download dirt 2 demo?

Your post reminded me to check on my free Dirt 2 download since I thought it was supposed to release this week. Its vanished from the "not yet released" list under My Games and I dont know how to access it.

Salaadin said:
Your post reminded me to check on my free Dirt 2 download since I thought it was supposed to release this week. Its vanished from the "not yet released" list under My Games and I dont know how to access it.
It's only out in europe. It will rlease on 12/8 for the states.

graywolf323

anyone else notice that the latest Steam client beta removes options from the Win 7 jump list?

I kinda liked being able to change my friends status that way easily

graywolf323 said:
anyone else notice that the latest Steam client beta removes options from the Win 7 jump list?

I kinda liked being able to change my friends status that way easily

Mine says
Recently Played

Tasks
-Busy
-Away

Store
Community
My Games
News
Friends

Seems normal to me?

graywolf323

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Mine says
Recently Played

Tasks
-Busy
-Away

Store
Community
My Games
News
Friends

Seems normal to me?

are you in the client beta? because if you are then it becomes

Pinned

Recently Played

Tasks
Store
Community
My Games
Servers
News
Friends

graywolf323 said:
are you in the client beta? because if you are then it becomes

Pinned

Recently Played

Tasks
Store
Community
My Games
Servers
News
Friends

Ah, I think you're right. I haven't installed the full version on my desktop but I have on my macbook. Is it something with windows then? Both are the most up to date versions of steam.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
poppabk said:
How well does it control with M/KB?
Just bought the game and played for a couple hours.

It works okay with m/kb, but definitely would play better with a controller. Unfortunately I don't have a 360 controller on me. Maybe I can get the PS3 one I've been using for Grid to work on it, but I'm not so sure I can. I've gotta get one of those 360 controllers.

Salaadin

Salaadin said:

Ahhh ok. Why isnt it listed under the games tab anymore, though?

Leckan

For all the Steam experts can Steam Cloud work with save-files as well. IF not, will it be added in the future for Steam Cloud 2.0 if anyone knows?

Volcynika

Steam, I'm blocking off my wallet unless it's a Midweek Madness or weekend deal, at least until the Holiday Sale! You shall not pass!

Leckan said:
For all the Steam experts can Steam Cloud work with save-files as well. IF not, will it be added in the future for Steam Cloud 2.0 if anyone knows?
It can, but it's on a game by game basis, and not many games use it for save files yet. IIRC, the first one to do it was just released a week or so ago.

Doytch

rohlfinator said:
It can, but it's on a game by game basis, and not many games use it for save files yet. IIRC, the first one to do it was just released a week or so ago.
I believe Trine uses it also.

Mrbob

Maybe Trine does as well? I can't remember now and I'm not at home. :lol

When I reinstalled my PC from XP to Win 7 I forgot to back up my Trine save. Now that I think about it, it had everything available when I reinstalled the game on my Win 7 build. I'll double check this tonight.

kuYuri

Pretty sure L4D and L4D2 uses Steam Cloud. If you want to know what game supports it, check it's features on the right hand side of the store page, under game details.

markot

Banned
Too bad the devs are so lazy >.<

Hell, Valve hasnt even put it in for their games either! Why not add it for HL2 and co?!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
markot said:
Too bad the devs are so lazy >.<

Hell, Valve hasnt even put it in for their games either! Why not add it for HL2 and co?!

Maybe they are too busy counting the money gained trough Steam, or they simply don't have the interest to go back and update those titles to add steam cloud support, maybe it's hard work i dunno. Anyway i hope they push Steam cloud hard from now on tough i wonder if they are being hesistant because of possible storage issues.

Both Left 4 Dead games use it. Only for settings though obviously as there's no save game to be had.

Steam cloud saves in games would be so helpful when reformatting and stuff.

Twig

Banned
Mrbob said:
It shows up on the game page. For example here is Trine:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35700/

Look at the right hand side you see steam cloud support listed. Haven't seen any Pop Cap games with Steam Cloud support.
Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean it supports save files on the cloud. Just the cloud.

I know that Trine does support save files, but in general. You know what I mean!!

Braid also supports save files through the cloud. When I tried to play in Offline mode, it said it couldn't connect so it wouldn't be able to sync my saves.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
You what would be cool? Steam having a new Cloud tab with 500mb of storage made specifically for games that do not support Cloud by default, you would have to manually point to where the save games are located and then the save games would be automatically synchronized across computers. Not gonna happen but it's nice to dream. Actually i think you could this with dropbox and another app.

Fewr said:
How can I tell which games support this feature?
More specifically, does this apply to popcap games?

If you search for steam cloud in the store it'll tell you. The five games so far is Bionic Commando, Trine, Serious Sam HD, Quantz, and America's Army 3.

Quick question regarding L4D's achievements... is achievements not "sticking" after you get them a known issue? Because I've gotten "Mercy Killer" like 3 times already, and just today got Akimbo Assassin as well, but I just checked my achievements list and both of those are still locked... kind of annoying. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'd be pretty pissed if while I'm trying to get the expert campaign's achievement and it doesn't count it.

x3sphere

MisterAnderson said:
Quick question regarding L4D's achievements... is achievements not "sticking" after you get them a known issue? Because I've gotten "Mercy Killer" like 3 times already, and just today got Akimbo Assassin as well, but I just checked my achievements list and both of those are still locked... kind of annoying. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'd be pretty pissed if while I'm trying to get the expert campaign's achievement and it doesn't count it.

Yup happened when the first L4D came out and still happens even with L4D2. I don't know why they can't get the achievement detection right :/ It's quite annoying.

x3sphere said:
Yup happened when the first L4D came out and still happens even with L4D2. I don't know why they can't get the achievement detection right :/ It's quite annoying.

I dont understand how other developers using Valve's system can do it right yet they cant :/

GWX

hey gaf

Some weird shit is going one when I try to launch a Source-based game. I tried HL2, EP1, EP2, TF2 and some Source Mods I have installed (Mission Improbable, Research and Development, MINERVA).

21myh53.jpg

It has never happened before. What to do now?

Thanks in advance.

Bebpo

Banned
Jirotrom said:
Has anyone played Time Gentlemen, Please!?

I didn't like it much. I thought the free prequel Ben There, Dan That was far better and really lowered my enjoyment of TG,P because I kept wanting it to be like BTDT and it kept failing at it.

If you buy it, play it before BTDT.

Blizzard

Banned
GWX said:
hey gaf

Some weird shit is going one when I try to launch a Source-based game. I tried HL2, EP1, EP2, TF2 and some Source Mods I have installed (Mission Improbable, Research and Development, MINERVA).

21myh53.jpg

It has never happened before. What to do now?

Thanks in advance.
Try this? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048109

(except I dunno which folder you'd have to delete if verifying integrity fails)

Make sure you back up your game saves if you delete local content for games, though. It might delete them without warning you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom