• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWX

Blizzard said:
Try this? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048109

(except I dunno which folder you'd have to delete if verifying integrity fails)

Make sure you back up your game saves if you delete local content for games, though. It might delete them without warning you. :(

I tried to verify the content of the games and of the SDK. Still doesn't work.

Since it happens with all Source-based content, I should delete the Source files under the steamapps folder or at least the SDK files under my username folder (which I don't think it will work, but still...)? Because my internet connection sucks, and downloading all those things again would be a pain in the ass.

Update: Now it works. Just deleted the content under the <username> folder of HL2, EP1, EP2 and TF2. Thanks for the help, Blizzard.

Blizzard

Banned
GWX said:
I tried to verify the content of the games and of the SDK. Still doesn't work.

Since it happens with all Source-based content, I should delete the Source files under the steamapps folder or at least the SDK files under my username folder (which I don't think it will work, but still...)? Because my internet connection sucks, and downloading all those things again would be a pain in the ass.

Update: Now it works. Just deleted the content under the <username> folder of HL2, EP1, EP2 and TF2. Thanks for the help, Blizzard.
Huh, weird. Well, I hope you didn't lose any saves!

Kotor finished, great game :D Almost given up hope on ever taking the time to play it but the cheap price made it impossible to resist.

Any good reason for Kotor 2 not being on Steam btw?

GWX

Blizzard said:
Huh, weird. Well, I hope you didn't lose any saves!

I made a copy of them first. Still, I haven't finished HL2 yet (stopped playing 3 months ago at the
Nova Prospekt
chapter), so I didn't lost any EP1 or EP2 save game (yeah, I know, I'm a bad person).

Grimm Fandango said:
Lucasarts is probably going to release it along with some other games (more adventure games definitely) to make a second collection.

Sure buy for me if they do.

How does the second one measure up to the first Kotor? You hear lots of people complaining but it can't be that bad right?

legend166

Do we know if they're planning to remake Monkey Island 2, or at least put it up on Steam?

I haven't played it in ages and I really want to play it again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jakershaker said:

How does the second one measure up to the first Kotor? You hear lots of people complaining but it can't be that bad right?

I actually enjoyed the story and characters much more in the second. It has a much darker tone similar to Empire Strikes Back... and just like Empire it ends on a bit of a severe cliffhanger (although it wasn't intended too initially).

So I just tried playing some BF2 online, and after about 5 minutes or so was kicked from a server from Punkbuster for using an "unallowed program/driver"???

The only thing I can think of that it might be detecting and thinking it might be a hack or something is D3DOverrider?

Blizzard

Banned
jakershaker said:

Everyone probably has different opinions on it. My own opinion (I haven't played the restored content, which might include a factory and modified ending stuff) was that I liked the mechanics and polish to the second game better than the first. Pazaak was better, the inventory was better, the armor stuff was better, combat was probably better, graphics were probably better, etc.

With maybe a couple of exceptions, I liked the characters and story in the first one better, though. And yes, I seem to recall that the ending (though not TERRIBLE in my opinion) was sort of lame, even though the final area started out looking interesting.

Javaman

MisterAnderson said:
So I just tried playing some BF2 online, and after about 5 minutes or so was kicked from a server from Punkbuster for using an "unallowed program/driver"???

The only thing I can think of that it might be detecting and thinking it might be a hack or something is D3DOverrider?

Is it a steam install of BF2? If not, I believe the steam overlay causes issues when run with the retail version of the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
luiztfc said:
Steam newbie here, just bought CS:S and TF 2. What deals do you guys recommend?

For being a Steam newbie, you made some incredibly wise decisions in buying those two games. I am impressed. Just check Steam each weekend for the weekend deal and during the week days for the week day sales.

Doytch

Javaman said:
Is it a steam install of BF2? If not, I believe the steam overlay causes issues when run with the retail version of the game.
Did they even fix that with the Steam version? Might as well try disabling it...

Javaman said:

I've never had any problems with the steam overlay and retail, at least not recently.

Saw this. don't know if it was mentioned but MMORPG Pirates of the Burning Sea is $5 until December 11.

Pirates of the Burning Sea Week Sale! said:
Pirates of the Burning Sea from Sony Online Entertainment is available for 75% off until December 11th!

Pirates of the Burning Sea is an MMORPG featuring high-seas action and adventure in a bold world of pirates and plunder. Set against the backdrop of the New World of the 18th century, players can choose one of three nations - England, France or Spain - or choose the role of a Pirate and battle it out for glory and power.

dLMN8R

MisterAnderson said:

PunkBuster is an absolute piece of shit regardless of game. For some reason, it has never automatically updated for me. It has always required the incredibly annoying extra step of going to PunkBuster's web site, downloading the "PBSetup.exe" utility, and manually running it from there.

Druz

MisterAnderson said:

Are you running any on screen display programs? It'd give me that message when I had my GPU temp program running. yes punkbuster is shit

Druz said:
Are you running any on screen display programs? It'd give me that message when I had my GPU temp program running. yes punkbuster is shit

Well I run D3DOverrider with all my games to force Vsync and Triple buffering, so I am guessing that could be the culprit.

what dates does the holiday sale run?

the 2 games i am hoping to have a good sale on the most are modern warfare 2 and crysis maximum edition

i'd probably pick up that game altitude also if it was at least 50% off

Anyone been playing Altitude? I've tried the demo through Steam and it's pretty damn fun. I just don't know if I should buy it this week for 33% off or wait a few weeks and possibly buy it for less.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
graywolf323 said:
also known as the annual Steam is gonna make you their bitch week

Good thing I lifted a nice bonus for the end of the year. It can smack me all it likes, and I'm going to enjoy it. :D

Spwn

crimsonheadGCN said:
Anyone been playing Altitude? I've tried the demo through Steam and it's pretty damn fun. I just don't know if I should buy it this week for 33% off or wait a few weeks and possibly buy it for less.

Buy it! It's easily worth it.

graywolf323

Kosma said:
I dunno if you should count on MW2 getting a discount.

during the holiday sale everything gets discounted

but count on MW2 being part of the smallest discount group (so probably 10% off)

Javaman

MisterAnderson said:
It's a Steam install.

I'm not sure what could be causing that then. I've got a problem when logging in within BF2 where my first attempt always fails with a "password" incorrect message. Clicking again works like a champ. This is with a saved password.

Javaman

Doytch said:
Did they even fix that with the Steam version? Might as well try disabling it...

Peronthious said:
I've never had any problems with the steam overlay and retail, at least not recently.

I remember hearing about the problem, but it's been a while. Back when BF2 first arrived on Steam. People who were installing the retail version and loading it through steam had punkbuster problems. Maybe they were people using it before the 1.5 patch (and before the steam release)

graywolf323 said:
also known as the annual Steam is gonna make you their bitch week

Wasn't last year the first year they've done it? I'm not going to get my hopes up based on a one year trend. On the other hand, I'm not making any more non-weekend/midweek sale buys either just in case. :lol

Thomper

Javaman said:
Wasn't last year the first year they've done it? I'm not going to get my hopes up based on a one year trend. On the other hand, I'm not making any more non-weekend/midweek sale buys either just in case. :lol
Nah, they've been doing it before last year as well.

I hope the holiday sales are good. May save up. Do Valve usually repeat sales that happened throughout the year or going to be mostly "new' games?

Volcynika

DMPrince said:
I hope the holiday sales are good. May save up. Do Valve usually repeat sales that happened throughout the year or going to be mostly "new' games?

Usually the older/cheaper games get bigger pricecuts, while the newer ones get like 5% - 10% off, but I may have a bad memory.

eznark

Banned
Volcynika said:
Usually the older/cheaper games get bigger pricecuts, while the newer ones get like 5% - 10% off, but I may have a bad memory.
I think Left 4 Dead was significantly discounted last year.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So Medieval II:Total War is the midweek deal at $4.99 - any opinions?
Is the expansion an add-on or a 'SupCom:FA' type expansion/do-over.

Thomper

poppabk said:
Neat, it's 2,50 in euro's. Pretty fair pricing. Still not that interested in the game though, to be honest.

Rubezh

poppabk said:
Is the expansion an add-on or a 'SupCom:FA' type expansion/do-over.

I got that with Empire Total War as part of the complete pack. I don't know why because I haven't even installed it once yet.

dani_dc

Damn, more 2,5 euros that I'll be spending :lol
Been considering buying this game at retail for 10 euros for the longest time, so I simply can't ignore it for the price Steam is offering it.

So how big of a deal is the host advantage in MW2 multiplayer? Been hearing horror stories about how broken it is but curious if it's being exaggerated (aside from the javelin glitch/dual shotties nonsense which hopefully will be patched). Been holding off on this game due to Activision's greed and my general disinterest in the game since I have so many other things to play, but am thinking about possibly getting it during the Steam sales around Xmas since I enjoyed MW1 so much.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've only played Total War:Rome. Is Medieval II worth it? Also what about the Gold Expasion? And the complete Total War set

shintoki said:
I've only played Total War:Rome. Is Medieval II worth it? Also what about the Gold Expasion? And the complete Total War set

Check the youtube-trailer I posted earlier. I´m quite sure you want to pay this price for that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom