• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
CecilRousso said:
Check the youtube-trailer I posted earlier. I´m quite sure you want to pay this price for that. :D
I did, that doesn't answer the question. It seems like it is only Medieval II. Doesn't include the expansion. Nor does it include the rest of the series which is the question. Is it worth getting or waiting for the rest? Basically how is the rest of the series or is this the absolute edition?

Well, it certainly blows!

I wouldn't touch M2:TW without the expansion, and even then not without mods. AI as dumb as a brick and a tedious, uninteresting campaign game.

shintoki said:
I did, that doesn't answer the question. It seems like it is only Medieval II. Doesn't include the expansion. Nor does it include the rest of the series which is the question. Is it worth getting or waiting for the rest? Basically how is the rest of the series or is this the absolute edition?

I would say that this is the best of the series. Empire has sea battles, but other than that, they are equal in terms of graphics, scope etc. With the exception that the siege battles in Medieval are more epic. I had much more fun with Medieval II than with Empire.

Haven´t played the expansion for it yet, but I will buy just for the very impressive Lord of the Rings mod for it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fragamemnon said:

I wouldn't touch M2:TW without the expansion, and even then not without mods. AI as dumb as a brick and a tedious, uninteresting campaign game.
Well, my question has been answered :lol

shintoki said:
Well, my question has been answered :lol

Well, that´s your loss. My opinion that he is exaggerating. I mean, for this price? Take a chance, live a little.

And if its better with the expansion, buy both. Right now its a great price.

Macmanus

Javaman said:
Wasn't last year the first year they've done it? I'm not going to get my hopes up based on a one year trend. On the other hand, I'm not making any more non-weekend/midweek sale buys either just in case. :lol

I was thinking this same thing. I've had Steam since HL2 was released, and last year was the first year I remember. A lot of people are counting their chickens before they hatch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NightHawk17 said:
another steam newbie here, so if i buy the games before on this computer i can still have them on another?

Yeah. The only thing is that you can't log in at the same time from different locations.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I caved and bought it. Realistically I will probably never make it through the entire campaign so for $5 I will get at least a different experience from the RTS's I have been playing recently.
Is this playable on a touchpad? How important is the scroll wheel?

Doytch

Fragamemnon said:

I was really hoping that CA would build on the interesting Great Britain/North America/Crusades campaigns with ETW. Instead we got the lameduck US campaign which let you pick one country and gave you zero choices. Too bad, I thought they hit on a way to freshen up the campaigns that were getting stagnant and ridiculous with their "Conquer the world" objectives for a country like Denmark.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just used Steam for the first time yesterday (R.U.S.E Beta).
Lots of nice features and the UI is really clean and clear.

Mad props to Valve for the UI.

It's not as much the $5 to buy the game as it is the five or so hours you spend with the single player game before realizing that the computer literally has no idea how to play the game.

If you are just buying it for the few included historical battles, those are sorta neat.

The earlier CA games - Shogun/Medieval - are honestly better playing. Not as pretty, not as many features, but I think that they play better. This is unmodded , of course, some of the mods for M2 and Rome are exceptional (but note that for M2 the cool stuff requires Kingdoms).

poppabk

Fragamemnon said:
It's not as much the $5 to buy the game as it is the five or so hours you spend with the single player game before realizing that the computer literally has no idea how to play the game.

If you are just buying it for the few included historical battles, those are sorta neat.

The earlier CA games - Shogun/Medieval - are honestly better playing. Not as pretty, not as many features, but I think that they play better. This is unmodded , of course, some of the mods for M2 and Rome are exceptional (but note that for M2 the cool stuff requires Kingdoms).
Well the inclusion of Agincourt is what really intrigues me, I can probably easily get my $5 worth out of that, and then see if the campaign is worth it to me or not.

Darklord

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

I actually loved it. I put so many hours into it it was crazy. This was after a few patches. It's a good game. Yeah the AI isn't great but it's still fun and at that price it's a no brainer.

NIN90

You know what would be a pretty interesting job? Being the guy at Valve that plans all these Steam deals.
I'd shoot myself after 2 weeks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I personally think it would kinda a waste to get medieval total war 2. I'd wait till the steam boxing day sales. They might potentially discount medieval 2 + expansions or even better the total war collection might get a discount.

graywolf323

Macmanus said:
I was thinking this same thing. I've had Steam since HL2 was released, and last year was the first year I remember. A lot of people are counting their chickens before they hatch.

nah I don't think so

they've been teasing it this year, first the Early Holiday saleand the front page of the Store has snow flakes on it

Javaman

graywolf323 said:
nah I don't think so

they've been teasing it this year, first the Early Holiday saleand the front page of the Store has snow flakes on it

You guys are probably right about the sale this year, but the snowflake thing is kind of a stretch. :lol

I really don't remember any big holiday sales before last year's. Surely Macmanus and I aren't crazy? Anyone distinctly remember?

The "Specials" tab looks so empty. :(

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
You guys are probably right about the sale this year, but the snowflake thing is kind of a stretch. :lol

I really don't remember any big holiday sales before last year's. Surely Macmanus and I aren't crazy? Anyone distinctly remember?

The "Specials" tab looks so empty. :(
The After Holiday sale thing has been two years running. The Early Holiday sale thing is new to this year.

I would bet any amount of money that what I say is true, including all of my life's savings.

It has struck me that possibly there won't be a normal After Holiday sale, because of the Early Holiday sale, but I sincerely doubt it.
Fersis said:
This makes me laugh because a lot of people who use Steam (me included) think the UI needs a huge overhaul. O:

Firestorm

Macmanus said:
Boxing Week Sale has happened two years in a row now.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah. The only thing is that you can't log in at the same time from different locations.
wow steam doesnt seem that bad, if all goes well my first purchases should be:
-mass effect
-kotor
-the witcher

does anyone know if the witcher thats on steam is the uncensored version?

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
The After Holiday sale thing has been two years running. The Early Holiday sale thing is new to this year.

I would bet any amount of money that what I say is true, including all of my life's savings.

It has struck me that possibly there won't be a normal After Holiday sale, because of the Early Holiday sale, but I sincerely doubt it.

This makes me laugh because a lot of people who use Steam (me included) think the UI needs a huge overhaul. O:
Crazy it is then!

I would love it if Valve would add filtering to the friend's list, like being able to filter by a certain game owned by your friends. Folders too!

MNC

Fersis said:
Just used Steam for the first time yesterday (R.U.S.E Beta).
Lots of nice features and the UI is really clean and clear.

What's your ID? :D

Fake edit; YOU GOT YOUR ORIGINAL AVATAR :D

The Steam UI does need an overhaul. While it is functional, I wish its interface would blend in with windows better. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Also I wish they would impliment a clock in the shift tab space . I understand it's not a major concern but it would be nice to get one.

MoFuzz

Gully State said:
The Steam UI does need an overhaul. While it is functional, I wish its interface would blend in with windows better. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Also I wish they would impliment a clock in the shift tab space . I understand it's not a major concern but it would be nice to get one.

I'll second this, and also more options for downloads, like most BT clients have. Especially for download speed. Sick of having Steam suck up all the bandwidth from my other apps on my PC, or from others in the house.

Hearts of Iron 3 is on sale for $12.00 (60% off) when you purchase one of the newly released DLC packs which range from $1.99 to $2.49. Also, Dreamkiller has a free weekend.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
LovingSteam said:
Hearts of Iron 3 is on sale for $12.00 (60% off) when you purchase one of the newly released DLC packs which range from $1.99 to $2.49. Also, Dreamkiller has a free weekend.

Where on Steam are you seeing that sale? Or is that over at Gamersgate?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
LovingSteam said:

Man that game must not be selling well at all, i have seen it discounted so many times this year alone over on Steam and other places.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
DMPrince said:
Does anyone have trouble running Dirt 2 demo?

Win 7 64bit here.

EDIT: Nevermind. it's still not unlocked? WTF.
I am staying away from all things Dirt 2 related for a while. This launch has been a disaster thus far.

ElNarez

Banned
Don't waste your time with Dreamkiller.

All you need to know is that it's been made by the same people who brought you Painkiller : Overdose. So, yeah, it isn't that awful in comparison to, say, Painkiller : Resurrection, but it's still kinda lame.

poppabk

Fragamemnon said:

Is there anyway to increase the difficulty of the historical battles, as I went straight to Agincourt without even learning the controls and won a decisive victory while still figuring out how to control the camera and send orders :lol .

markot

Banned
DiRT 2 Now Available Worldwide!
December 8, 2009, 10:05 am - Valve - Product Release
DiRT 2 is now available worldwide! DiRT 2 is a revolution in off-road racing. Big event atmosphere and a killer vehicle roster come together on a multi-discipline World Tour, stretching from Malaysia to Morocco and London to LA.

Twig

Banned
Just popping in here to say that... Madballs is surprisingly fun.

It's only failing is that not enough people play the multiplayer. ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom