• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is anyone else having a shit time with Dirt 2?

DX11 mode, settings on high (apparently I can't run ultra or it really sucks) @ 1080p 2xAA

quad core, 5870, yadda yadda. I get 60fps a lot of the time except when I don't, then I get like 15fps just randomly, it seems it might have something to do with a bunch of cars on screen at once, or sometimes water will do it to. The stuttering is making it almost unplayable. I'll try running it with my e8400 and see if that does a better job or something.

I'm even running the Dirt 2 hotfix ati drivers.

Update: it runs pretty much the same on my e8400, grr.

MoFuzz

TouchMyBox said:

Suffering from a bout of new release syndrome perhaps?

Both ATI and Nvidia get a bout of this with the odd game, and are sometimes improved in new driver releases or patches from the dev.

Any option to run in DX10 or 9 even?

Spwn

The next weekend will be a Dreamkiller Free Weekend and it begins on Thursday. Guess what will be the weekend deal.
Click here to pre-load the game. Is there any reason for me to download the 10GB or is this game a total failure?

poppabk said:
Is there anyway to increase the difficulty of the historical battles, as I went straight to Agincourt without even learning the controls and won a decisive victory while still figuring out how to control the camera and send orders :lol .

You can't have settings for the AI to be better when it fundamentally has no idea what to do at all. I was not exaggerating earlier when I called it dumb as a brick. Upgrading to Empire is even worse, watch as the AI sends unsupported cavalry right into the volume of fire of your heavy infantry!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Fragamemnon said:
You can't have settings for the AI to be better when it fundamentally has no idea what to do at all. I was not exaggerating earlier when I called it dumb as a brick. Upgrading to Empire is even worse, watch as the AI sends unsupported cavalry right into the volume of fire of your heavy infantry!
Yeah, it was kind of disappointing to win so easily, even though I was 'supposed' to win. Still it is worth the $5 just to see some of the famous battles play out - next up - William the Bastard shows how much he hates his childhood nickname.

Minsc

Gold Member
TouchMyBox said:

DX11 mode, settings on high (apparently I can't run ultra or it really sucks) @ 1080p 2xAA

quad core, 5870, yadda yadda. I get 60fps a lot of the time except when I don't, then I get like 15fps just randomly, it seems it might have something to do with a bunch of cars on screen at once, or sometimes water will do it to. The stuttering is making it almost unplayable. I'll try running it with my e8400 and see if that does a better job or something.

I'm even running the Dirt 2 hotfix ati drivers.

Update: it runs pretty much the same on my e8400, grr.

Runs fine on my 5870 (50-60fps, 1920x1200, 8xAA, Ultra), using the 9.11? hotfix drivers that were linked to with the demo. 9.12 is due out this month, and is supposed to sport an 10-18% speed increase in Dirt 2 or something.

Mrbob

Yeah I'm not buying that borderlands DLC. Sounds like the DLC isn't that great in the first place, and 5 activations only is terrible. Securerom on DLC, really Gearbox? SMH. Anyway, I don't see any benefit throwing 10 dollars down on these tiny content packs. Give me a real 30 dollar expansion.

Niks

Dirt2 Runs mostly fine on my 5850, although I experience some "jumps" or "slowdown" on the utah track... particularly on the canyon section.

Mrbob

From what I'm reading, steam version of Borderlands DLC requires a serial number for activation which isn't included in the download. Damn. Too much bloated garbage for a 10 dollar purchase. Gearbox never did want to release the DLC on pc, they just wanted your money I guess!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ill be trying R.U.S.E later, if anyone wants to play or chat about games you know where to find me. ^__^

graywolf323

Fersis said:
Ill be trying R.U.S.E later, if anyone wants to play or chat about games you know where to find me. ^__^

I sent you an add request on Steam

gonna be at my college job where I just sit there and do nothing for the most part so playing R.U.S.E. would be fun :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I preloaded dream killer last night, sounds like that may have been a bad idea.

Thank goodness it was classified as free traffic :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
graywolf323 said:
I sent you an add request on Steam

gonna be at my college job where I just sit there and do nothing for the most part so playing R.U.S.E. would be fun :D
Thats nice.
Ill add you as soon as i get home. :D

Volcynika

Mrbob said:
From what I'm reading, steam version of Borderlands DLC requires a serial number for activation which isn't included in the download. Damn. Too much bloated garbage for a 10 dollar purchase. Gearbox never did want to release the DLC on pc, they just wanted your money I guess!

:lol

Good job, Gearbox!

Mrbob said:
Give me a real 30 dollar expansion.

Yeah that stuff takes effort. The difference in effort required for 3 $10 microexpansions versus that of a traditional full expansion pack is huge-microexpansions/DLC usually just tack on small stuff to the existing release (and, like here or in FO3, things that are almost completely cordoned off the existing content to be easier to produce) and call it a day.

Real expansions > series of meh microcontent. Too bad the latter is apparently easier to sell and cheaper to produce. I'll leave the question as to who's buying it and causing this trend as an exercise for the reader out of kindness.

Reno7728

I tried adding HoI3 to my cart with a piece of the DLC, but i didn't get a discounted price. So i need to enter my payment details and go right through to purchase?

legend166

Lol, there's regional pricing for the DLC too. $13US on the Australian store.

Screw you, Gearbox. Never buying your games ever again.

graywolf323

Reno7728 said:
I tried adding HoI3 to my cart with a piece of the DLC, but i didn't get a discounted price. So i need to enter my payment details and go right through to purchase?

from what I can figure you have to buy one of the new DLC first and once you've purchased it the discount will show up for purchasing HoI3

Tim-E

Mrbob said:

This isn't true. It is included in the download, just like every other game through Steam that has a serial number with it.

Also, check out Team Fortress 2's official website. It looks like we might be getting something tomorrow.

graywolf323 said:
from what I can figure you have to buy one of the new DLC first and once you've purchased it the discount will show up for purchasing HoI3

Which is weird since usually you cannot purchase DLC unless you already have purchased the game itself.

RedSwirl

I just tried to play the demo for Medieval II Total War to see if I should get it on the Steam deal, and I have no clue what's going on in this game. They teach you the controls but little else for how you actually win a battle.

I haven't played an RTS since Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun. The Cortez battle I lost with no clue as to why, the second demo battle was a draw and I had no idea why, and the last demo battle I won with no clue as to why!

How exactly do you route an enemy? Which troops are best for which tasks?

Rubezh

£6.30 for an incremental piece of DLC is really quite ridiculous, as well as the fact it has Securom. The price should be lower if we get less utility and flexibility as consumers.

Slacker said:

Holiday sales?

Oh and when is the US version of Dirt 2 demo going to be available.

and I was going to pick up SFIV from D2D but will just wait hopefully steam has it. i like my every growing list of games of i never will play ever but will buy just to have.

graywolf323

legend166 said:
Apparently that patch they released for Borderlands today added SecureROM to the game.

are they intentionally trying to piss people off?

they still haven't patched a lot of the major problems the PC version has (not to mention they keep resetting our config files) and now they stealth add DRM

**** you Gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom