• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ZealousD said:
You're tons more likely to be playing a game on XBL than you are on Steam, though. I'm logged in to Steam probably 8-10 hours every day. I'm logged in to XBL maybe 2-4 hours every day. And yet I rarely play games on Steam but I use XBL daily.

Thats only cause you are lame, Zealous.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dynoro said:
Wow MW2 multiplayer destroys everything bar CS - I thought TF2 and L4D2 would be closer than that
A quick calculation using this data suggests that roughly 20% of people logged into steam are currently playing a game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Archie said:
DMC4 sucks though. :/ DMC3 SE, NBG and Bayonetta are the only games in the genre I like.

edit: and DMC3 is $20 bucks on Steam. I can get the PS2 version for $5 on Goozex, lol. Devil May Cry and Steam don't get along well!

edit2: And reading online, the PC port of DMC3 is atrocious. Apparently it runs better on PCSX2. :lol I might just grab the PS2 version and emulate it when I get a new PC up and running.
I think it runs fine if you disable the music (which involves renaming some files). It's been awhile though.

epmode

Volcynika said:
From what I've seen, AP seems to assume players have played through the original.
The story, maybe. As for gameplay, AP is almost exactly the same with a few refinements.

Skipping straight to AP is fine. You won't miss much aside from an enjoyably silly translation/script.

Doytch

Basileus777 said:
Is it recommended to play through King's Bounty TL before I try Armored Princess?
I'd suggest it... Here's an email I just sent to a friend.
It's not that [AP is] harder or anything, but it adds a bunch of extra troop types in addition to the ones already existing, and status effects that I imagine would just end up smothering someone new to the series.

Also, several times in AP there's parts where all of the mobs around are either "Strong" or worse ("Lethal", "Impossible".) I think it'd be frustrating to hit those parts and get stuck.
That's my personal opinion. Obviously I can't say for sure since I haven't played AP without playing TL, and different people might pick things up quicker than others. Who knows. I can't think of a valid reason to play them out of order if you have both of them though.

King's Bounty keep giving me (on Windows 7 64 bit) DirectX related crashes, and apparently it's an issue with the latest Nvidia drivers. Hopefully rolling back to 191.07 will fix it. Ugh.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Doomslayer said:
All it proves is the Xbox is a GAMING console. A PC is everything.

Exactly. I could be doing homework and I'd still be logged into Steam. I could be browsing GAF and I'd still be logged into Steam. I could be doing... something else and I'd be logged into Steam. I wouldn't necessarily be logged onto XBL while doing these things.

I'm not saying that Steam having millions of users signed int at once isn't significant. But I think total number of people signed up with the respective services would be a more meaningful comparison.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Lol at awesome King's Bounty Sale.

I told myself I'd wait for Armoured Princess to be 4.99 before dipping into it. Not going get me this time steam!

graywolf323

wow once again I got screwed for buying something during the Christmas sale

wtf at the first King's Bounty regular price now being less than it was on "sale" for just two weeks ago >_<

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Des0lar said:
Just came here to post this.

FUCK YOU STEAM

First the holiday sale, and now this. I thought I was safe. :(
I am posting with a similar intention.

I successfully avoided the Serious Sam HD sale as I was warned off. With Kings Bounty, this happened on ventrilo:

Me: "Should I buy the Kings Bounty: Gold Edition"
"Yes"
"Yes"
"Yes"
Click, Click, Click, Bought. FUCK YOU STEAM.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck...

I wish they would do something about this price change...

I also got King's Bountry Princess when it was 10 dollars. Had they offered the bundle for 11 like they are today, I'd have gotten that instead...

Steam

"The one game you can't win"

graywolf323

TheExodu5 said:
Are people really bitching over $3.75?

I'm bitching over $16 on just the original

if you throw in the fact I bought both during the same then I'm bitching about ~$20

Serious Sam HD for the weekend sale wasn't that bad, only $3 but to make the original King's Bounty's regular price suddenly less thatn it was on sale for is what has now really frustrated me

why should I buy anything when just a week or two later it could be on sale for less?

graywolf323

TheOneGuy said:
Aren't you the guy who spent over five hundred bucks?

Obviously money isn't an issue to you.

poor assumption

the money I blew on the sale was mostly my Christmas money (relatives have learned to just give me cash)

given I haven't gotten workmans comp yet for my injury and classes just started up (textbooks alone cost me almost as much as the holiday sale) money is very much an issue for me right now

also it's the principle of it, are you saying if it was you that you wouldn't care about $20?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know it seems in bad taste to piss on Steam after so many great deals, but all the same:

the steam app is a pile of shit. no other app on my computer runs as poorly as it does. it takes forever to load up, the IE interface for the store and community are often slow and often don't work correctly, and the download management is archaic. I'm really hoping Battle.net 2.0 comes along and kicks Valve's ass into gear on this. granted, they do update this interface very often, which is appreciated, and is also the reason they haven't changed it, I'd guess, but all the same, it's 2010; time for a proper update!

Fredescu

graywolf323 said:
also it's the principle of it, are you saying if it was you that you wouldn't care about $20?
Welcome to video games. Have you never paid full price on a game only to have it halve in price the next week? Not to mention PC hardware, which being in a Steam thread you must have experience with. If didn't buy anything that had a chance of dropping in price in the future, you'd pretty much buy nothing. Just buy things that you think are worth the asking price and you have no reason to complain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rez said:
I know it seems in bad taste to piss on Steam after so many great deals, but all the same:

the steam app is a pile of shit. no other app on my computer runs as poorly as it does. it takes forever to load up, the IE interface for the store and community are often slow and often don't work correctly, and the download management is archaic. I'm really hoping Battle.net 2.0 comes along and kicks Valve's ass into gear on this. granted, they do update this interface very often, which is appreciated, and is also the reason they haven't changed it, I'd guess, but all the same, it's 2010; time for a proper update!

They confirmed they are working on it.

Rez said:

Which is coming in the next few months. Valve has already said that they are preparing a large UI update for this year.

Spwn

Zero Gear free weekend. Played the beta and didn't like it as the controls felt too stiffy. My friend tested the latest demo and said nothing has changed. Too bad, it had potential to be more than just a cute racing game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zoku88 said:
what exactly did they say?

I, for one, would be happy if they ditched the IE framework.

A Valve employee confirmed on the forums that they are working on a big interface update and that they will show it when it is ready. I believe someone linked to it in the Steam Improvements thread.

graywolf323

NIN90 said:
Do you slap the cashier in the grocery store because the bubble gum is now cheaper than last time?

would you not be upset if you bought a TV on sale at Best Buy and just a week later they suddenly drop the regular price to lower than the sale price?

amrod

graywolf323 said:
would you not be upset if you bought a TV on sale at Best Buy and just a week later they suddenly drop the regular price to lower than the sale price?

gum $1 ... tv $1000, sorta hard to compare

fallout

graywolf323 said:
why should I buy anything when just a week or two later it could be on sale for less?
I was going to suggest that the simplest way to avoid getting "screwed over" is to just not buy anything. These games are on sale. You receiving them at a discounted price. Excessive use of italics probably makes me seem like a douche, but I just don't see the big deal here (pun half-intentional).

TheExodu5

Banned
graywolf323 said:

But that hasn't happened here.

And that happens a lot at BestBuy.

Twig

Banned
graywolf323 said:
poor assumption

the money I blew on the sale was mostly my Christmas money (relatives have learned to just give me cash)

given I haven't gotten workmans comp yet for my injury and classes just started up (textbooks alone cost me almost as much as the holiday sale) money is very much an issue for me right now

If you're willing to spend 500 dollars on games because you're too impatient to wait until you can actually play them, then it's not an assumption. Christmas money or not, you're insane.

And, yes, I am saying I wouldn't care beyond a "well, damn". Prices are going to change all the time. Welcome to life.

turnbuckle

Basileus777 said:
Is it recommended to play through King's Bounty TL before I try Armored Princess?

I would say so, but you really could enjoy the latter without playing the former. I've found that AP is a little bit more difficult initially and has a greater occurrence of roaming enemies that are simply going to be out of your league when you first meet them. I think a good comparison to how similar they are would be to compare the differences between Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 2 (Japanese version). 99.123% of the music and art are identical - which makes a lot of sense considering the game originally was intended to be an expansion. FWIW I'm enjoying AP more than The Legend and that's saying a lot considering how obsessed I found myself with The Legend.

NIN90

Gee, think of all the people that bought King's Bounty at launch. I bet they are all crying in a corner just like you.

hamchan

Bought Armored Princess in the sale and haven't even installed it yet. Now I can buy both King's Bounty games for a $1 more than what I payed for AP.
I'll still get The Legend but now I know how those people who got "torched" felt like. Steam wins again!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
So pissed off that one has a dash to separate the two parts of the title and the other has a colon for the King's Bounty games.

I'm offended. All I ask for is some simple consistency!

:(

Editing deliverables for my job has ruined me. I was genuinely and significantly bothered for a few seconds, before I caught myself.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Oh snap @ that kings bounty deal.
With that bought, i'll pretty much have every steam title in the 'WANT WANT" category. To think i was almost tempted to buy it for $30 during the holiday sale.:lol

graywolf323

TheOneGuy said:
If you're willing to spend 500 dollars on games because you're too impatient to wait until you can actually play them, then it's not an assumption. Christmas money or not, you're insane.

And, yes, I am saying I wouldn't care beyond a "well, damn". Prices are going to change all the time. Welcome to life.

the Steam holiday sale was supposed to be the big end all sale which has been in the past

I'm not the only one who saved up money just for it

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
NIN90 said:
Gee, think of all the people that bought King's Bounty at launch. I bet they are all crying in a corner just like you.
Absolutely, I whip it out and slap them across the face with it just to make sure they don't forget.

Honestly, I would set down a simple rule. Do not buy X games above X amount so you don't feel screwed to begin with. The prices are always going to get lower over time and the sales will come. Steam has far too many sales now so expect it to go lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom