• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
graywolf323 said:
the Steam holiday sale was supposed to be the big end all sale which has been in the past

I'm not the only one who saved up money just for it
That's the price you pay for getting the game earlier.

Have you even played the game?

Maybe you should've waited and saved your money, if you knew you were going to bitch and moan at the first sight of a lower price than you paid. Just a thought.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I hate you all so much for complaining about these awesome sales.

Can you fucking look at yourselves in the mirror? Whiners.

It's not a worldwide conspiracy to make you pay more for your games. YOU paid for the game when YOU thought you should. It has ALWAYS been this way since before you all were born in "RL", so why do you complain about it being this way on Steam?

Fuck you all. Fuckin' fuck you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Archie said:
fffuuu. I got Armored Princess for $9.99 during the holiday sale, but I'd like the OG KB on my Steam account so I don't have to bother with GamersGate.

Haha! I'm in the same situation. I bought Armored Princess over the recent sale, but got the original on Gamersgate a long time ago for $9.99. Unfortunately that site has gotten progressively worse over time. The damn place won't even load for me half the time and I get like 150kbs when downloading games from them.

If the original King's Bounty really is only $5 then I'm going to pick it up when I get home.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
NIN90 said:
Do you slap the cashier in the grocery store because the bubble gum is now cheaper than last time?

You didn't think very hard to come up with that example did you? It has nothing to do with Steam sales.

If you buy a game one day and find it on sale the next day you aren't going to purchase it again. With a pack of gum you might buy it one day, come in another day to find it on sale and be happy to pick it up again.

I can understand why people would be annoyed by buying a game for full price only to have it show up on sale a few days later. It's happened to me in the past, and while annoying, I am not going to be mad at the Steam service for discounting products. The Christmas sale setup was a bit annoying with standard discounted products that became even further discounted during the daily sales. I got screwed on Red Faction Guerrilla by buying it for $19.99 only to have it show up for $9.99 a couple of hours later when the daily sale refreshed. It would be nice to have some kind of price guarantee in situations like that, but that probably won't ever happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zefah said:
You didn't think very hard to come up with that example did you? It has nothing to do with Steam sales.

If you buy a game one day and find it on sale the next day you aren't going to purchase it again. With a pack of gum you might buy it one day, come in another day to find it on sale and be happy to pick it up again.

I can understand why people would be annoyed by buying a game for full price only to have it show up on sale a few days later. It's happened to me in the past, and while annoying, I am not going to be mad at the Steam service for discounting products. The Christmas sale setup was a bit annoying with standard discounted products that became even further discounted during the daily sales. I got screwed on Red Faction Guerrilla by buying it for $19.99 only to have it show up for $9.99 a couple of hours later when the daily sale refreshed. It would be nice to have some kind of price guarantee in situations like that, but that probably won't ever happen.
I think the difference is because no physical product changes hands. If best buy has a game on sale and you pick it up only for them to have an even better sale two weeks later which is not improbable, you would probably be upset, but you know that your copy is no longer for sale. With DD, its just the right to download, so the difference in price at different time points is like a payment to have access during that time. If it drops from $10 to $5 in the space of two weeks then it is like you paid $5 for two weeks of access. In my case I paid $5 for two weeks or so access to Torchlight and it was worth it, it would have gotten lost in the backlog of the christmas sale if I hadn't purchased it earlier.

Himajin

I paid full price for Torchlight, Trine, and many other games that have been at crazy sale prices since, and I don't regret it for a second. I bought Left 4 Dead 2 a day before it was reduced during the early holiday sale, but I paid what I considered a fair price for the enjoyment I expected to get out of it, and I was not disappointed. I've also bought some amazing games at insanely low prices on Steam.

You're going to pay more than other people sometimes, and less other times. I still think you're getting incredible value out of Steam in the long run.

Has anyone else ever gotten system crashes related to Steam? I've gotten a handful of BSODs (in WinXP) that they seem to occur at the moment I click on a link in Steam to bring up a new window, like a specfic game's News link or View Update News. I see the window begin to fade-in (why does Steam insist on these weird fades for everything even when I disable them in Windows) and then get a BSOD. The message says the crash is in nv4_disp.dll, so maybe it's Nvidia only. Doesn't seem to be a common thing, but really annoying, and makes me wish I could just disable the fade effects.

Slavik81

It seems Steam has been so rapidly increasing in awesomeness that people are upset when they look back two weeks ago and notice that it was only 'really awesome' back then, rather than 'really super awesome' like now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Slavik81 said:
It seems Steam has been so rapidly increasing in awesomeness that people are upset when they look back two weeks ago and notice that it was only 'really awesome' back then, rather than 'really super awesome' like now.
An quantum awesome divider has been installed. Unpredictable amounts of awesome may occur at any second to make all past times of awesomeness look less awesome.

Doytch

Slavik81 said:
No, it's just that more people are using it now so it increases the likelihood of an idiot coming in and actually getting angry that they're having a sale.

Sloegr

Does anyone know of a list of upcoming games which will require Steam? I know of the list of games that can be activated on Steam currently, but I'm curious as to which (if any) unreleased games have announced that they will use Steam for DRM.

ElJuice said:
Does anyone know of a list of upcoming games which will require Steam? I know of the list of games that can be activated on Steam currently, but I'm curious as to which (if any) unreleased games have announced that they will use Steam for DRM.

Lead and Gold
Napoleon: Total War (most likely)
Nuclear Dawn
Supreme Commander 2
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising (most likely)

Plus the next Call of Duty should be using it again.

I doubt that either Relic Entertainment or Creative Assembly will not stop requiring Steam in any of their future titles. They both seem to be close to Valve.

Hey, why didn't you guys convince me to buy Machinarium when it was on sale during the Holiday sale? I bought just about everything else. :lol

Anyway, as I posted on the GAF GOTY thread, I thought this was interesting:

Of the games in the top 20, you can get (or soon will be able to get) the following games on Steam:

batman.jpg

02. Batman: Arkham Asylum

dao.jpg

04. Dragon Age: Origins

ac2.jpg

05. Assassin's Creed 2 (Not available yet)

sf4-1.jpg

08. Street Fighter IV

mw2.jpg

10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

borderlands.jpg

11. Borderlands

l4d2.jpg

13. Left 4 Dead 2

re5.jpg

14. Resident Evil 5

torchlight.jpg

15. Torchlight

9 out of the Top 20 . . . and one is a PC exclusive.

You can't get Trials HD but you can get Trials 2: Second edition.

Sloegr

Would I be making a grave mistake if I buy KB: TL and skip AP? I can see myself tiring of the gameplay after two long games, so I'd prefer to get only one despite the low price of the pack.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Lead and Gold
Napoleon: Total War (most likely)
Nuclear Dawn
Supreme Commander 2
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising (most likely)

Plus the next Call of Duty should be using it again.

Thanks. SupCom2 was the game that I was fishing for.

peakish

ElJuice said:
Would I be making a grave mistake if I buy KB: TL and skip AP? I can see myself tiring of the gameplay after two long games, so I'd prefer to get only one despite the low price of the pack.
I haven't played Armored Princess yet (just bought it in fact :D ) but KB in itself for that price is one of the best deals I've ever seen, such a good, charming game!

AP will likely go on sale again so don't sweat it if you just get the original now.

ElJuice said:
Thanks. SupCom2 was the game that I was fishing for.

You're welcome. Also, I would not be surprised if Tactical Intervention had Steam integrated. It's being developed on the Source engine and it is by a former employee of Valve and the co-creator of Counter-Strike.

I really can't wait for it. Hopefully it turns out just as good as CS did.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Today I saw a Civ IV pack at a German retailer, it included BTS and some other expansion (and a guide) - for 10€!

So when Steam doesn't do a sale, it's still ridiculously overpriced, especially 'round here. This is an extreme example, I guess, but it's true for almost every title they sell, provided it's also available at retail.

I wonder why that is, they don't have to use shelves and shit. Probably because noone cares.. People seem to not mind burning a few bucks for the convenience of click-buy magic. So whoopdiedoo, let's make the price high.

Volcynika

wmat said:
Today I saw a Civ IV pack at a German retailer, it included BTS and some other expansion (and a guide) - for 10€!

So when Steam doesn't do a sale, it's still ridiculously overpriced, especially 'round here. This is an extreme example, I guess, but it's true for almost every title they sell, provided it's also available at retail.

I wonder why that is, they don't have to use shelves and shit. Probably because noone cares.. People seem to not mind burning a few bucks for the convenience of click-buy magic. So whoopdiedoo, let's make the price high.

Publishers / retailers / etc. Lots of things go into why Steam's prices are the way they are.

So, what do we think of Zero Gear?

I tried the demo for about 30 seconds, and I wasn´t overwhelmed. But the game seems popular when you look at how many that are playing it, and its always nice with games that includes all steam related services, like achievments, steam cloud, etc.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey guys I'm supposed to log in to my little brother's account to try this game he got, but he only gave me the PW and not the steam ID. Is there anywhere in 'Community' where it tells you that info? He's on the other side of the world so I'm gonna have to wait forever :/

nilbog21 said:
Hey guys I'm supposed to log in to my little brother's account to try this game he got, but he only gave me the PW and not the steam ID. Is there anywhere in 'Community' where it tells you that info? He's on the other side of the world so I'm gonna have to wait forever :/
No there isn't.

amrod

Pre-Purchase Mass Effect 2 $49.99
Pre-Purchase Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition $59.99

Same price as in store, was hoping for a discount since they don't have to make a physical package / disc and deal with the overhead of shipping and stores :(

graywolf323

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why? They may drop the price in a couple months...

:p

:lol nah

even if it did drop in a coupe months I wouldn't care, my care window is ~3 weeks :p

there are very few games I buy not on sale on Steam and Mass Effect 2 will be one of them

Volcynika

amrod said:

Same price as in store, was hoping for a discount since they don't have to make a physical package / disc and deal with the overhead of shipping and stores :(

How long have you used Steam? Or almost any DD service with current games?

amrod said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way - that's why I only buy items that are on sale :D .

NIN90

Gee, I hate Bioware's DLC politics.
"Preorder the deluxe edition and get all these items you don't give a shit about!"

NIN90

LovingSteam said:
Yea, options suck. If only they offered a version without the DLC for cheaper. Oh wait...

Yeah but offering fucking ingame items as preorders bonuses is freaking stupid. That's basically a 108kb unlock.

Really, this shitty "oh but it's an option" crap has to end. Just because it is an option doesn't mean that I don't have the right to complain about it.

Doytch

NIN90 said:
Yeah but offering fucking ingame items as preorders bonuses is freaking stupid. That's basically a 108kb unlock.

Really, this shitty "oh but it's an option" crap has to end. Just because it is an option doesn't mean that I don't have the right to complain about it.
You can complain about anything you want. I think it's stupid as all hell too, so I just ignore it and buy the cheaper one and let a mod add all the items to my game for free. Bonus is that you don't get pissed off at some minor detail.

Javaman

nilbog21 said:

Has he been on steam since the beginning? If so try using E-mail account he used back then as the username.

Kosma

Banned
Man ME2 is overpriced on Steam just as DA was. At least with DA you were getting a 70 hour game so I could look pass it, but paying 15 euro more then retail for a 20 hour game is just too much :/

10dcvo4.jpg

jqi25g.jpg

NIN90 said:

Do you have a right? Sure, I have the right to complain that I won't live forever and that I can't time travel. The fact is you are not being forced to pay anything more since the regular edition is available for $10 less. You aren't going to purchase item yet you complain item exists? Ok.

Psy-Phi

Kosma said:
Man ME2 is overpriced on Steam just as DA was. At least with DA you were getting a 70 hour game so I could look pass it, but paying 15 euro more then retail for a 20 hour game is just too much :/

(Images clipped)

How do you know how long ME2 will be? I spent a good 30-40 hours play ME. Didn't time it buy I'm still not done yet and I know I've been playing it since it released on PC for a few hours each time I do, surely more than 10 times. Gotta try to finish it before ME2 comes.

Don't rush through it :p.

And if you'd rather have a retail disc go for it. But the convenience of Steam is going to make me look past the 40 dollar effective price point (the regular edition) has at Amazon for the disc version. Get all the same bonsuses in digital format (soundtrack, art book...) and no box around the house? Sign me the hell up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom