• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I am ecstatic that I have FINALLY learned my lesson in not buying games until they are reduced or on sale (except for must haves like BFBC2). I was about to buy the Space Giraffe combo a few days ago but waited. Now I get 6 really awesome indi games for $10!

BuddhaRockstar said:
Oh shit Altitude for $2 is so bought.

Don't you fucking dare pass up on those two Llamasoft games!!

Also, will someone buy them on US Steam for me if I Paypal them $10!? I'd rather not pay nearly twice as much for no good reason, and I'm a broke ass student.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
BuddhaRockstar said:
Defense Grid just got an update-

Updates to Defense Grid: The Awakening have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

* Support for DLC is enabled. Check out the new FREE DLC pack, Borderlands! Four challenging levels new to Steam players.
Excellent news. Hopefully DLC will be reasonably priced and sometimes go on sale.

Kerrinck

brain_stew said:
Don't you fucking dare pass up on those two Llamasoft games!!

Also, will someone buy them on US Steam for me if I Paypal them $10!? I'd rather not pay nearly twice as much for no good reason, and I'm a broke ass student.

I can help you out if you still need it.

Chris R

BuddhaRockstar said:

Updates to Defense Grid: The Awakening have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

* Support for DLC is enabled. Check out the new FREE DLC pack, Borderlands! Four challenging levels new to Steam players.
* Upgraded leaderboard performance - Defense Grid now uses the official Steam leaderboards. Unfortunately, this change resets all existing leaderboard entries, but the good news is that all of the leaderboards are wide open and waiting for your high scores to post. Defend the cores and show others how good you are.
* Corrected a bug in which Cannon towers would sometimes fire twice as often when using fast forward.
* Fixed an issue in which AI audio would still play even if the Voice Over volume was turned all the way down.
* Fixed an issue that prevented the Voice Over volume slider from responding to mouse input.
* The Achievements button on the Main Menu will now take the user directly to their stats and achievements page for Defense Grid.
Any new achievements with the DLC? I got every last stinking one the main game had to offer (easily the best purchase I made during the holiday sale :lol but I still have to play/beat a few other games I bought).

If there is one major thing I love about steam beta, it would be that nearly every game now has a video clip on their info page, showing off gameplay.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That's a shitload of games, however i am only interested in altitude and bob came and pieces but at 10 dollars it seems kinda foolish not to get the pack, i am gonna think it over.

Diablohead said:
If there is one major thing I love about steam beta, it would be that nearly every game now has a video clip on their info page, showing off gameplay.

Whats interesting is that some people on the Steam forums have complained about this lol.

Diablohead said:

I'm just happy the screenshots don't have to open a IE window to display anymore, wtf was up with that?

Gexecuter said:
That's a shitload of games, however i am only interested in altitude and bob came and pieces but at 10 dollars it seems kinda foolish not to get the pack, i am gonna think it over.

You will buy Jeff Minter's games! You will!

Oh, and yeah, best deal in ages, I was insanely close to buying the £12 Llamasoft pack this morning now I get an extra 5 free games and save a fiver as well! Result! :D

Twig

Banned
Warning: Bullet Candy sucks.

And Space Giraffe is fucking weird.

Outside of that I have no idea. I've had Bullet Candy for ages and tried Space Giraffe on XBLA. I bought the whole pack anyway. I still got six games for ten bucks!

BuddhaRockstar said:

Very nice. I would definitely buy a level pack or mini-expansion should they start cranking them out.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:

Oh, and yeah, best deal in ages, I was insanely close to buying the £12 Llamasoft pack this morning now I get an extra 5 free games and save a fiver as well! Result! :D

Damn it you are tempting me! i am gonna cave i just know it! like with every steam deal that is recommended by gaf.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheOneGuy said:

Outside of that I have no idea. I've had Bullet Candy for ages and tried Space Giraffe on XBLA. I bought the whole pack anyway. I still got six games for ten bucks!
Galcon is pretty fun. It's like real time Risk in space.

LovingSteam said:
Whats interesting is that some people on the Steam forums have complained about this lol.
markot said:
Well, it shouldnt auto play.
I use to hate video's auto playing in the past for websites but on steam it's very handy, I can watch gameplay of multiple games much faster then using youtube, but I can also see how it ca be annoying if it has sound and you are playing music, or some other odd reason. Maybe I would be more against it if my old pc was still my current computer, that thing started slowing down due to age and auto playing video's might have got in the way a little bit.

brain_stew said:

200px-Jeff_Minter_-_GDC_2007.jpg

He can have my $4 if he promises to use it for a haircut.

TheOneGuy said:

The PC version has twice the content of the XBLA release and all the new content is "less intense" and over the top than the levels from the XBLA release. Should be much easier for people to get into.

SapientWolf said:

I love me some Risk, so that sounds awesome.

I'm in the pro auto playing of videos camp, modern braodband can blitz through streaming video quite easily and its makes the store page appear more dynamic. I like it.

Twig

Banned
SapientWolf said:
So this crazy website says! The prospect excites me! Is there any... reason I have to sign up for this crap? What is the benefit? I did it anyway 'cause whatever, I'm just curious.

TheOneGuy said:
There are a lot of freeware Bullet Candy/Geometry Wars type games that are pretty good, if you can find them. At one point, I was going far out of my way to find things like that and I ended up downloading the Bullet Candy demo.

Twig

Banned
Desaparecido said:
There are a lot of freeware Bullet Candy/Geometry Wars type games that are pretty good, if you can find them. At one point, I was going far out of my way to find things like that and I ended up downloading the Bullet Candy demo.
Yes there are.

I think I got Bullet Candy as part of a different indie pack. Or maybe it was a dollar or something and I said to myself "why not?" The world may never know.

Whatever the case, it's not a very good game. Maybe some people like it though, I dunno.

LovingSteam said:
Yeah, I don't like it. Don't force me to watch. Let me click on it if I'm interested.

At least make it optional.

kuYuri

Man, these Midweeks and Weekend deals aren't jiving with me. :/

Linkzg said:
Just wondering, but is there a way to add the game launcher from the Windows Games folder to Steam?

Add the game's .exe to your Steam list and you can launch it from there.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wish DefenseGrid would also add cloud saves. I thought it used them, but lost all my progress with a format. :(

Thinking of buying Altitude, anything else in the indie pack that really stands out enough to take me away from TF2/DoW2/AvP/Toki Tori (and Super Mario Galaxy)?

speculawyer said:
7 funky little indie games for $9.99? How can you say "No". You cannot.

This deal is just straight up stupid.

Lyphen said:
Wish DefenseGrid would also add cloud saves. I thought it used them, but lost all my progress with a format. :(

Thinking of buying Altitude, anything else in the indie pack that really stands out enough to take me away from TF2/DoW2/AvP/Toki Tori (and Super Mario Galaxy)?

Apparently Bob Came in Pieces is the shit.

Everyone get Altitude! Really fun pick up and play game. Has leveling up, different perks/planes, and pretty sure it was balance tested by starcraft players. Really addictive game.

Minsc

Gold Member
BuddhaRockstar said:

* Upgraded leaderboard performance - Defense Grid now uses the official Steam leaderboards. Unfortunately, this change resets all existing leaderboard entries, but the good news is that all of the leaderboards are wide open and waiting for your high scores to post. Defend the cores and show others how good you are.
* Corrected a bug in which Cannon towers would sometimes fire twice as often when using fast forward.
* Fixed an issue in which AI audio would still play even if the Voice Over volume was turned all the way down.
* Fixed an issue that prevented the Voice Over volume slider from responding to mouse input.
* The Achievements button on the Main Menu will now take the user directly to their stats and achievements page for Defense Grid.

Hmmm... I went to continue playing my existing campaign (I beat all the levels, and was working on getting perfects on the challenges), and everything is erased now.

That's pretty fucking stupid. I don't want to play through the 40 or so levels I've mastered, and to make matters worse, they're locked! How damned annoying. Now I actually have less content than before this free DLC!

Anyone else notice their Defense Grid progress in the normal campaign erased?

Edit: Looks like it's happening to everyone. Luckily it seems the data isn't lost, and they're working on a patch to restore your progress.

Minsc said:
Hmmm... I went to continue playing my existing campaign (I beat all the levels, and was working on getting perfects on the challenges), and everything is erased now.

That's pretty fucking stupid. I don't want to play through the 40 or so levels I've mastered, and to make matters worse, they're locked! How damned annoying. Now I actually have less content than before this free DLC!

Anyone else notice their Defense Grid progress in the normal campaign erased?

Edit: Looks like it's happening to everyone. Luckily it seems the data isn't lost, and they're working on a patch to restore your progress.

I almost went bananas. Scared the shit out of me.

Diebuster

Holy shit, the new Steam update fixed my download issues. I always thought it was my crappy internet, but looks like that wasn't the case. Watching Bioshock 2 download for three weeks has been brutal.

I'm eyeing Space Giraffe from the sale. Anyone have impressions?

commissar

Anksta said:
I agree. Don't automatically start streaming the vid.
Also agree.

Between the auto streaming and the lack of download locations, Valve have really fucked over those with bandwidth caps atm. Still, it's a beta.

Fredescu

Diebuster said:
I'm eyeing Space Giraffe from the sale. Anyone have impressions?
Mar_ is a nut for it. He makes it sound like some seriously Zen shit, so that was enough to sell me on it. Check out this description:

"Let's just get this out of the way. Space Giraffe is a revelation.

I have never experienced a game previous nor after that encourages... nay, demands, you unlock your third eye as it were. Not your third eye as in you're suddenly at one with the universe and at peace with the world and your fellow man. More like how Neo learns and eventually wakes to see through the matrix, to see the code past the visual. To awake from his visual prison and see what's really going on. You think I jest? Elaborate for affect? No, I'm being dead serious. This effect is real and if you do want to finish this game you have to learn how to do it. The rewards for doing so are astonishing, or perhaps, astonishment, that what you're doing is actually happening. What others see as a mess of colour and abstract shapes randomly spewing at their eyeballs, you 'see' as a completely normal navigable landscape. 'See' in quotes because seeing is only half the reality, the other half is the audio cues that tell you what's actually going on, the code behind the matrix as it were.

It's so genius that I refuse to believe it was intentionally meant to work as effectively as it does, because I don't comprehend how that would be possible. To be able to create such a work would be to already have the gift of seeing inside of it, yet if you haven't learned to see inside it, how can you have ever had the insight in the first place? It's the whole chicken and egg routine.

Regardless, Jeff Minter is surely a design genius and as mad as a balloon."

From: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarcBell/20100106/4023/Games_of_the_Year__Part_2__2007.php

The beta version of Steam seems to crash every time I try to check out with Paypal, anyone else having this problem? Guess I'll have to revert back for now.

Truespeed

I was just going to buy Altitude, but I played the demo of Galcon and damn that is one fun game - and that's just the single player. Multiplayer should be mayhem!

Daigoro

Fredescu said:
Mar_ is a nut for it. He makes it sound like some seriously Zen shit, so that was enough to sell me on it. Check out this description:

"Let's just get this out of the way. Space Giraffe is a revelation.

I have never experienced a game previous nor after that encourages... nay, demands, you unlock your third eye as it were. Not your third eye as in you're suddenly at one with the universe and at peace with the world and your fellow man. More like how Neo learns and eventually wakes to see through the matrix, to see the code past the visual. To awake from his visual prison and see what's really going on. You think I jest? Elaborate for affect? No, I'm being dead serious. This effect is real and if you do want to finish this game you have to learn how to do it. The rewards for doing so are astonishing, or perhaps, astonishment, that what you're doing is actually happening. What others see as a mess of colour and abstract shapes randomly spewing at their eyeballs, you 'see' as a completely normal navigable landscape. 'See' in quotes because seeing is only half the reality, the other half is the audio cues that tell you what's actually going on, the code behind the matrix as it were.

It's so genius that I refuse to believe it was intentionally meant to work as effectively as it does, because I don't comprehend how that would be possible. To be able to create such a work would be to already have the gift of seeing inside of it, yet if you haven't learned to see inside it, how can you have ever had the insight in the first place? It's the whole chicken and egg routine.

Regardless, Jeff Minter is surely a design genius and as mad as a balloon."

From: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarcBell/20100106/4023/Games_of_the_Year__Part_2__2007.php

thats awesome enough.

if i didnt have a good friend who would have murdered me if i didnt buy these games (he actually gifted me Gridrunner before i even knew about this sale - but i bought Space Giraffe when i saw this sale up), this would have sold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom