• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well what the hell...bought the PC version of Mirror's Edge. Thought I'd pass on it, but it would seem EA's stuff on Steam is DRM free, so it was hard to pass up. I think I will enjoy this game a lot more with than I did on the PS3, because I'm an FPS platforming virtuoso on PC. :D I spent a lot of time on TFC skill jumping (concing, rocket jumping), and some time on CS surfing. Portal didn't keep my hunger satisfied very long, since I golded all the challenges one day after release. Mirror's Edge should help fill the void. I'm hoping it runs as well as other UE3 games.

Traced-Velocity said:
Damn. Dead Space and Red Alert 3 are looking a bit more appealing now...

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick up RA3 sometime soon, If there's a weekend deal on Mass Effect some time, I'll double dip on it.

God I waited on the PC version of Mirror's Edge and what a disappointment. The actual port is great, the new physics effects are really nice (if completely inessential), but holy fuck the combat pretty much ruins everything.

I LOVE the movement and platforming, and I completely hate how frequently it's interrupted by like five guys facing me down. So incredibly unfun and unnecessary.

Davidion

Chris Remo said:
God I waited on the PC version of Mirror's Edge and what a disappointment. The actual port is great, the new physics effects are really nice (if completely inessential), but holy fuck the combat pretty much ruins everything.

I LOVE the movement and platforming, and I completely hate how frequently it's interrupted by like five guys facing me down. So incredibly unfun and unnecessary.

Ugh, that's so disappointing...:(

Oreoleo

TouchMyBox said:
EA just went price drop crazy!
Red Alert 3 - $29.99
Dead Space - $39.99
Mass Effect - $19.99

SHOCKED at the Dead Space drop. Anyone who hasn't played it yet owes it to themselves to pick it up. GOTY :D

Mrbob

Cool. Crossing my fingers at a 50 or 75 percent off weekend sale for Mass Effect.

Also if RA3 now goes 50 percent off on a weekend sale I'll rebuy it on steam.

Looks like those price drops are at retail as well. Amazon at least has the same prices. That'll be a nice change of pace if EA keeps the DD prices on parity with retail. Most publishers don't bother.

Twig

Banned
Mrbob said:
Cool. Crossing my fingers at a 50 or 75 percent off weekend sale for Mass Effect.
That's what I'm waiting for as well. I'd like to play it again but fuck if I'm going to do it on 360.

I should've just waited for thePC version in the first place. ):

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hmm, and I just lost my Mass Effect product key too.... does the Steam version come patched and with the DLC?

Damn! I bought ME not too long ago. Oh well. The Steam version is patched (which can actually be a problem) and it does not have the DLC as far as I can tell.

eznark

Banned
Chris Remo said:

The controls feel awesome though. I played the demo on 360 and PS3, ended up getting it for the PC. I don't really like the game but the controls feel real nice.

Twig

Banned
K.Jack said:
Hmm, and I just lost my Mass Effect product key too.... does the Steam version come patched and with the DLC?
As long as EA supplies the latest patch, it comes patched. I, personally, have never played a game from Steam that wasn't patched to the latest. And I assume all PC versions are the same, so, yes, DLC comes with, just like in the retail version.

Saterium

Nice! Been waiting for the Red Alert price drop.

How the Mass Effect PC port? Inventory fixed? It's pretty tempting at 20 bucks.

Now EA, put CnC3 and First Decade on Steam so I can give you some more of my money.

Erudite

Saterium said:
Nice! Been waiting for the Red Alert price drop.

Now EA, put CnC3 and First Decade on Steam so I can give you some more of my money.

Never played the 360 version, and I don't really remember how it looked like. However, I don't remember having a problem with the PC Inventory UI. From what I recall, it organizes the equipment from best to worse, and puts them in their respective groups.

Saterium

Traced-Velocity said:
Never played the 360 version, and I don't really remember how it looked like. However, I don't remember having a problem with the PC Inventory UI. From what I recall, it organizes the equipment from best to worse, and puts them in their respective groups.

Sounds exactly like the console one then, too bad. =(

I'll look around at some reviews to see what was fixed before spending the 20 bucks then.

Saterium said:
Sounds exactly like the console one then, too bad. =(

I'll look around at some reviews to see what was fixed before spending the 20 bucks then.

It definitely is tweaked, it was one of the selling points of the PC version. It's better but not amazing.

Chris Remo said:

While you should still play the main game, it's the time trials where the game really shines. Pure platforming.

Does RA3 have any sort of DRM other than Steam?

Saterium said:

Check out the official forums for the game, there are a ton of possible issues that you can have. The most glaring being that the game is really unstable. After about an hour of play, or after a number of transitions/loads the game locks up on my system. Would bluescreen until I ran it on one core (AMD 64 X2). Still beat it though.

Vaporak

Of All Trades said:
While you should still play the main game, it's the time trials where the game really shines. Pure platforming.

Does RA3 have any sort of DRM other than Steam?

All the new games EA are putting up on steam don't seem to have any DRM except the steam system itself. So Deadspace, Mirrors Edge, Red Alert 3, Mass Effect, etc are all SecuROM free, but the older ones like Crysis ARE NOT.

TheOneGuy said:

The first STALKER on steam doesn't have the latest patch that did some multi player fixes/changes.

jayhawker

Vaporak said:
All the new games EA are putting up on steam don't seem to have any DRM except the steam system itself. So Deadspace, Mirrors Edge, Red Alert 3, Mass Effect, etc are all SecuROM free, but the older ones like Crysis ARE NOT.

Is this confirmed. I assumed that they did when I saw this:

INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. TO ACCESS ONLINE FEATURES, YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE. ONLY ONE REGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE PER GAME. EA ONLINE TERMS & CONDITIONS AND FEATURE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT www.ea.com. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER WITH EA ONLINE.

I suppose it could be a 1 time only internet connection required type of deal, but it sounded to me like I couldn't play if I wasn't connected to the internet. That's a deal breaker for me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
jayhawker said:
I suppose it could be a 1 time only internet connection required type of deal, but it sounded to me like I couldn't play if I wasn't connected to the internet. That's a deal breaker for me.
I have boxed Mass Effect and Dead Space, and the online was only necessary when I entered the product keys.

I got Mass Effect, which I was going to buy during the holiday sale. I'm glad I held off.

As a side note, Bioware really is working on getting "Bring Down the Sky" free to the Steam users. From what I saw, it should be available within the week.

jayhawker said:

yeah, don't worry, no crazy install limits, Valve will say if a game has third-party drm in it at the side info bar in the store. They sometimes take a day or two to tell us though on new releases (e.g. it didn't tell me that crap when I bought Warhead until a day or two after i bought it, that was mighty annoying)

edit: as to answer your offline mode question, I just tested Mirror's Edge in offline mode with my wireless card disabled, worked perfectly.

bkw

Can anyone comment on how well R6Vegas 2 runs on the PC? I think I remember Vegas 1 having some performance issues.

fushi

bkw said:
Can anyone comment on how well R6Vegas 2 runs on the PC? I think I remember Vegas 1 having some performance issues.
Performance is pretty much the same. If you had issues with 1, you'll have issues with 2. If you didn't, then you probably won't have issues, at least I didn't.

Dead Space PC: Don't buy it if you don't have a gamepad or a 16:9 monitor. The mouse movement is (or was, when I tried it a while back) very floaty and in a 4:3 resolution the left and right sides were cut off.

Huh, nobody else interested to see that Everquest is now available on Steam? I didn't think I'd ever see that happen.

EDIT:
Also;
Everquest 2
Pirates of the burning sea
Vanguard saga of heroes.

Looks like SOE are backing Steam now. Interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
jayhawker said:

I'm almost certain mirror's edge works without internet. It works with Steam in offline mode, but I guess technically it's not a Steam game so it might be phoning home somehow. Would you like me to check with no internet access?

Fredescu

Blizzard said:
I'm almost certain mirror's edge works without internet. It works with Steam in offline mode, but I guess technically it's not a Steam game so it might be phoning home somehow. Would you like me to check with no internet access?
I have a feeling the Time Trials might not work if you're not connected to the EA servers. If you're going to check, make sure you check them too.

Haden

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Is there any news on when the UK is going to get all these EA games?

Damn I thought my Steam search was broke or something, I kept looking for Dead Space and Red Alert how come we don't have the games?

Haden said:
Damn I thought my Steam search was broke or something, I kept looking for Dead Space and Red Alert how come we don't have the games?

No idea, I really want to buy Mass Effect and Dead Space for the PC. I think even the rest of Europe has the games, it's just the UK that doesn't :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom