• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haden

Banned
Baloonatic said:
No idea, I really want to buy Mass Effect and Dead Space for the PC. I think even the rest of Europe has the games, it's just the UK that doesn't :S

Jesus that sucks so much isn't the UK the biggest gaming market in Europe? That really is stupid I wonder what the reason for this madness is.

epmode

I just tried the Mirror's Edge time trials while offline. Works, but only after the game attempts to connect to the EA servers. You then get a warning that your records and ghosts will only be stored locally.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
fushi said:
Performance is pretty much the same. If you had issues with 1, you'll have issues with 2. If you didn't, then you probably won't have issues, at least I didn't.

Dead Space PC: Don't buy it if you don't have a gamepad or a 16:9 monitor. The mouse movement is (or was, when I tried it a while back) very floaty and in a 4:3 resolution the left and right sides were cut off.
Turning off the in-game v-sync solves the mouse lag issues.

Javaman

Dawn of War-Soulstorm is 75% off until the 28th. Reg $30, now $7.50. It'll also get you into the DOW2 multiplayer beta early.

Since this thread happens to have been bumped, and I happen to be thinking about it, I'd like to take a moment to ask when the hell I'll be able to preorder the Sims 3 on Steam.

platypotamus said:
Since this thread happens to have been bumped, and I happen to be thinking about it, I'd like to take a moment to ask when the hell I'll be able to preorder the Sims 3 on Steam.

I've been wondering the same damn thing. I check the "coming soon" page about ten times a day to check if it's shown up yet.

BobJustBob said:
I've been wondering the same damn thing. I check the "coming soon" page about ten times a day to check if it's shown up yet.

I am sort of in a place where I am trying to go purely digital distribution on the PC, and I sure as heck ain't using EA's store. Grrrr.

Raggy

Banned
I wonder when Valve will realize that 1&#8364; <> 1$

(now its 1$=0.771&#8364;)

They are royally screwing us Europeans in the ass. Hell, even countries that aint part of the European Union has to pay in Euro.

I've been boycotting buying things from Steam until the they change this policy.

Thomper

Raggy said:
I wonder when Valve will realize that 1€ <> 1$

(now its 1$=0.771€)

They are royally screwing us Europeans in the ass. Hell, even countries that aint part of the European Union has to pay in Euro.

I've been boycotting buying things from Steam until the they change this policy.
It depends entirely on the publisher-side. Valve has already lowered some of its own games in the EU, with Left 4 Dead being 45 euro's here, and 50 dollars in the US. That's not an entirely accurate conversion, but prices now include VAT already, so at least with the Dutch VAT-rate, the price for that is exactly the same as it used to be.

Some publishers are quite rubbish about changing the price, but something like Dawn of War: Soulstorm is 5 dollars in the US, and 3,75 here. All pretty fair conversions.

rezuth

Raggy said:
I wonder when Valve will realize that 1€ <> 1$

(now its 1$=0.771€)

Prices are not that much different since it now includes taxes.

Volcynika

Orellio said:
Oh dang, is this cheaper than it was during the Xmas sale? I have the demo downloaded but never played it. Any impressions from people who have it?

Post in the weekend deal thread! :p

I think it was half off in the holiday sale, but this is 75% off. :eek:

Volcynika

Orellio said:
It's weird having two official Steam threads :(

Well this is for more games being put on it, new stuffs etc. Wasabi's volunteered to changing the Steam weekend deal thread title by Friday nights, since more people pay attention to the thread title rather than reading the thread.

Orellio said:
Oh dang, is this cheaper than it was during the Xmas sale? I have the demo downloaded but never played it. Any impressions from people who have it?

Very very fun game, the indie devs (small team), have created a pretty amazing game if you can look past the graphics. They have some of the best mounted/sword/archery combat ever (Get a horse ASAP, get a 2 handed sword and start fucking up bandits). They also have a huge mod community and you can play Star Wars Mods etc for it.

Definitely get it at 7.50, it's a steal. :)

I see that UT3 is on steam... does anyone own it, and is the community as strong as UT2k4's was when it was out?

I've been playing a lot of Quake Live and I'm remembering how much I loved UT2k4... any thoughts?

TheExodu5

Banned
apocalidiot said:
I see that UT3 is on steam... does anyone own it, and is the community as strong as UT2k4's was when it was out?

I've been playing a lot of Quake Live and I'm remembering how much I loved UT2k4... any thoughts?

UT3 community is pretty dead compared to what 2k4 was. Logged in last week to check it out, and there were maybe 100-200 people playing on a Saturday night. Not sure if I had any filters on, but the number seemed really small. There are tons of servers, just no players to fill them with.

Anyways, bought:

Mount & Blade
Hearts of Iron 2
Empire Total War pre-order (/w Rome Gold)

Yeah I just noticed that they put up Hearts of Iron 2 Complete on Steam. That's a must-play game for anyone interested in WW2 grand strategy. Amazing, amazing game.

epmode

apocalidiot said:

UT3 is awesome. Sucks that there isn't much of a community.

TheExodu5 said:
UT3 community is pretty dead compared to what 2k4 was. Logged in last week to check it out, and there were maybe 100-200 people playing on a Saturday night. Not sure if I had any filters on, but the number seemed really small. There are tons of servers, just no players to fill them with.

epmode said:
UT3 is awesome. Sucks that there isn't much of a community.

Thanks a lot guys. Do either of you guys know how big 2k4 is doing still? I think my friend stole mine and I might buy it again (I just got my paycheck and I'm looking for games to buy haha) if a lot of people play still

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Hearts of Iron 2 Complete just got released on steam. I already have it but damn it'll be fun to play with my steam friends.

bathala

Banned
First time i used steam and downloaded Company of Heroes Demo.
I'm amaze that once the demo was downloaded that I just click Launch and i started playing already

So...are all steam games like this? No need to install just click and play?

If yes...Fuck CDs. I'll jump the Steam bandwagon

bathala said:
First time i used steam and downloaded Company of Heroes Demo.
I'm amaze that once the demo was downloaded that I just click Launch and i started playing already

So...are all steam games like this? No need to install just click and play?

If yes...Fuck CDs. I'll jump the Steam bandwagon

I've never really watched the whole way through, as I just queue up whatever I've bought to download overnight, but yeah there aren't separate download and install actions. You just click to start the download and Steam does the rest. And yes, it is awesome.

Saerk

It does the install just before you dl the files. That is why you see the progress bar just before it starts. It doesn't take long since you aren't copying the files yet. The proper folder structure and such is created, and then the files are downloaded and placed where they belong.

M3wThr33

Banned
bathala said:
OMG that's sweet.
i should have bought witcher on steam.
DoWII will be my first steam purchase then
You can also add non-Steam games into the game list. That way you can access your friends list during games.

You also can register some of your games to your Steam account that you bought retail.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Any game there you can put into Steam and permanently download it whenever.

fushi

Uhh... there's no add to cart link in Steam for Mount & Blade?

2j3gt41.png

Anyone else experiencing this? Every other game has the add to cart link. Maybe it's region restrictions or something...

senahorse

fushi said:
Uhh... there's no add to cart link in Steam for Mount & Blade?

Anyone else experiencing this? Every other game has the add to cart link. Maybe it's region restrictions or something...

Where are you from? Worked fine here in Australia.

fushi

x3n05 said:
Where are you from? Worked fine here in Australia.
Estonia, Europe. I asked a friend of mine (also from Estonia) and he had the same problem.
Ikopi said:
Apparently, they have run out of activation keys. Hopefully this gets fixed by tomorrow, I still need to get it...
Oh.

DrXym

Thomper said:
It depends entirely on the publisher-side. Valve has already lowered some of its own games in the EU, with Left 4 Dead being 45 euro's here, and 50 dollars in the US. That's not an entirely accurate conversion, but prices now include VAT already, so at least with the Dutch VAT-rate, the price for that is exactly the same as it used to be.

That would be great if not for the fact that you can buy Left 4 Dead in a store or online for 35-39 euros. e.g.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5826422/Left-4-Dead/Product.html

That price includes VAT and P&P by the way. I don't own the title but if its anything like HL2, the store copy is probably Steam powered too so you're not losing out on anything either.

If Valve's own game can be sold for 10 euros less even with the cost of manufacture, postage and a store taking its slice then you know their prices are seriously fucked up. It's not an isolated case either. Compare prices from Play.com vs Steam for some recent popular games:

Mirrors Edge - 35.49 vs 49.99
Far Cry 2 - 23.49 vs 49.99
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II - 32.49 vs 49.99
Fallout 3 - 32.49 vs 44.99

We're talking serious savings here. Steam is nothing short of a rip off at the moment in Europe. Digital copies should be cheaper, not more expensive when you consider what you're giving up.

DrXym said:
We're talking serious savings here. Steam is nothing short of a rip off at the moment in Europe. Digital copies should be cheaper, not more expensive when you consider what you're giving up.
Business 101. Competition drives prices down. As it stands, Steam has no competition, thus publishers like EA, Activison, Ubisoft don't have to compete.
gketter said:
ARG. I wanted to buy Mount & Blade and its not available :(

How can a digital distributed game be out of stock??
Valve buys serials.

Visualante said:
Business 101. Competition drives prices down. As it stands, Steam has no competition, thus publishers like EA, Activison, Ubisoft don't have to compete.
Way to miss the point. Its not about there being no competition in digital distribution for steam, its about the total clusterfuck regarding pricing between the US, UK and the rest of Europe.

Twig

Banned
DrXym said:
Physical copies should be cheaper, not more expensive when you consider what you're giving up.
Fixed.

Though I agree that the pricing debacle in Europe, etc. is pretty fucked up. \:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom