• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3wThr33

Banned
Yeah. It's BS.
My steam account name is an old email I have and I can't change it. Thankfully you can have a different display name.

But it's retarded since they TOLD YOU to use your email address for the name. Their suggestion is to make a new account if you want a new name. But I have a REALLLLLLY low SteamID and 72 games and a valid VAC, so... no.

Also, folks, checks your gifts and guests passes. I was looking through it and noticed one of the games I sent was "Sent" and not "Redeemed."

They already took the money out, but it was sitting there for 3 months because I guess she missed the email to redeem it.

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
It's been free for a while. Went free about....December 13th. :p

...I thought I bought Peggle Extreme on discount over the holiday sale. D'oh it was supposed to be free? o_O

Also I'm glad to hear that Steam support seems reliable. I don't think that Valve will go out of business and everyone will lose their games (since they claim they'll hit the release switch or whatever), but if my account ever did get hacked, I bought everything electronically so I'd have to try to call them and prove my identity that way.

Volcynika

Blizzard said:
...I thought I bought Peggle Extreme on discount over the holiday sale. D'oh it was supposed to be free? o_O

Also I'm glad to hear that Steam support seems reliable. I don't think that Valve will go out of business and everyone will lose their games (since they claim they'll hit the release switch or whatever), but if my account ever did get hacked, I bought everything electronically so I'd have to try to call them and prove my identity that way.

I bought Peggle DELUXE over Steam, but Peggle Extreme is just the Half Life version of Peggle.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Volcynika said:
It's been free for a while. Went free about....December 13th. :p
Has it really? I just bought delux the other day for $5 and I swear extreme wasn't free.

Today I got a message telling me I could get it free. Its neat, but I'd have felt shitty paying for it. Its a cute little expansion to an already addictive game regardless.

Bjorn getting his head eaten by a head crab and the portal levels are worth the price of admission... free that is...

Blizzard

Banned
Staccat0 said:
Has it really? I just bought delux the other day for $5 and I swear extreme wasn't free.

Today I got a message telling me I could get it free. Its neat, but I'd have felt shitty paying for it. Its a cute little expansion to an already addictive game regardless.

Bjorn getting his head eaten by a head crab and the portal levels are worth the price of admission... free that is...

Can you still play extreme if you bought deluxe? Deluxe seems to have replaced extreme for me since I bought it. Peggle is so much less fun without the CLEVERLY DONE and IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, YOU FAIL messages.

Volcynika

Staccat0 said:

From the Wiki (but many sources on other places):

As of December 12 2008, Valve made Peggle Extreme downloadable for free on PC to everyone with a Steam account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggle_Extreme#Peggle_Extreme

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Blizzard said:
Can you still play extreme if you bought deluxe? Deluxe seems to have replaced extreme for me since I bought it. Peggle is so much less fun without the CLEVERLY DONE and IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, YOU FAIL messages.
yeah
Volcynika said:
From the Wiki (but many sources on other places):

As of December 12 2008, Valve made Peggle Extreme downloadable for free on PC to everyone with a Steam account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggle_Extreme#Peggle_Extreme
cool. I wonder why they just decided to let me know?

Blizzard said:

here the two are completely different games. Sure Extreme is kind of a demo, but both shows in my gamelist.

But in the same topic (game and demos) I cannot install the free add-on Andy Priaulx Crowne Plaza Raceway for Race 07 without installing the Race 07 demo? If I try to install the add-on it adds two more entries in my gamelist, one for Race 07 demo and another for Crowne Plaza demo. And then I can access the race in my full copy of the game. But if I delete the demos, the content is gone also from the main game.

Javaman

Ugh. I hate seeing this thread get bumped (myself included). I keep going into it expecting some type of unscheduled sale or something.

Volcynika

Javaman said:
Ugh. I hate seeing this thread get bumped (myself included). I keep going into it expecting some type of unscheduled sale or something.

OMG SECRET SALE ON EVERYTHING

Holiday sale not enough for ya?

Blizzard

Banned
Ahhhh. I guess Peggle Extreme came with the orange box or something back before it was free, and then when it became free it stopped showing up on my uninstalled games list.

The only time I see a steam ID pop up in a game is when someone multi logs and the first person who logged in gets kicked out of a multiplayer game, that or VAC bannings I think show it too.

Zzoram

RotBot said:
I still don't understand why Counter-Strike players care about this.

It's evidence they've been playing forever, and that they probably aren't noobs.

I don't even know my Steam ID #, and I forgot it even exists.

Salmonax

M3wThr33 said:
But it's retarded since they TOLD YOU to use your email address for the name. Their suggestion is to make a new account if you want a new name. But I have a REALLLLLLY low SteamID and 72 games and a valid VAC, so... no.
I have the same issue - I think signups for the original Steam beta required that you use your email as your ID. I can't believe they don't have a system in place for changing it - I'd gladly pay $5-10 to get it switched (like Xbox Live).

RotBot

Diablohead said:
The only time I see a steam ID pop up in a game is when someone multi logs and the first person who logged in gets kicked out of a multiplayer game, that or VAC bannings I think show it too.
I've seen people talk about buying and selling Steam accounts with low IDs for over $100 on ebay, which is bizarre given that the ID is never prominently displayed anywhere like a slashdot id or forum registration date. It's also poor indication of how long you've been playing CS, because CS predates Steam by 4 years and a lot of players didn't bother to switch to Steam until the WON servers were shut down (people forget that everyone hated Steam when it came out).

Salmonax said:
I have the same issue - I think signups for the original Steam beta required that you use your email as your ID. I can't believe they don't have a system in place for changing it - I'd gladly pay $5-10 to get it switched (like Xbox Live).

Same here. Mine is my extremely old college email address. Back then I think you could change it for a fee maybe, but you had to contact them.

As much money as I've given Steam in the past 6 years, you'd expect they could allow me to change my login for free.

Saerk

Im trying to play Titan Quest, bought during holiday sale, and every time I try to launch it it says, "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." It has been saying this every time I click on it for at least a day. It says TQ and TQ:IT are both at 100%. I click IT and it won't launch. I'm at a loss at what to do to get this to work.

Saerk said:
Im trying to play Titan Quest, bought during holiday sale, and every time I try to launch it it says, "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." It has been saying this every time I click on it for at least a day. It says TQ and TQ:IT are both at 100%. I click IT and it won't launch. I'm at a loss at what to do to get this to work.

I had this issue sometimes with Steam, normally after I quit a game and try to launch another (not only with TQ). For me, I have only to close Steam (completely, sometimes there is a steam task still running that I have to kill) and start it again.

Kevin

Fireblend said:
So, anyone using Windows 7 here? Any issues with Steam/games?

One night I was using it kept closing before the thing was completely loaded (even after reboots) and then another day it was working.

Javaman

Saerk said:

Try verifying the game files. (Right click/properties/local files/verify)

Stitch

Gold Member
Saerk said:
you can play titan quest without steam, just find the exe files in the steam/titan quest folder

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
What the fuck is this elite units in Empire:TW bullshit?

You really going to sell six extra units for $20? What kind of shit are they trying to pull here?

Hopefully no one buys it. One of the worst deals ever.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BobsRevenge said:

You really going to sell six extra units for $20? What kind of shit are they trying to pull here?

Oh wow.:lol

That's the worst case for DLC I've ever seen on the PC.

Mrbob

BobsRevenge said:

Yeah I saw that. Disappointing to see the Creative Assembly resorting to nickeling and diming their fanbase for all their worth.

I'll be passing for a long time on this one now...maybe for good. I won't support a structure like this.

Pachael

Mrbob said:
Yeah I saw that. Disappointing to see Sega resorting to nickeling and diming their fanbase for all their worth.

I'll be passing for a long time on this one now...maybe for good. I won't support a structure like this.

Fix'd. Sega needs the dosh as usual, so are using Creative Assembly to get as much dosh as they can. SEGA

Mileena

Banned
RotBot said:
I still don't understand why Counter-Strike players care about this.
only morons do. all it proves is how long you've been playing on steam, not how long you've been playing the game. i have an 8dig because i sold my fully loaded source account 6dig to a friend, yet i'm better than most 5digs and above.

da_bears has an 8 or 7 dig btw, so digits do not equal skill.

BobsRevenge said:
Just another way to say "Yeah, well I've been playing since beta x.xx!"

you are wrong sir. i've been playing since 1.5 and i have an 8dig. if you want to talk about something that proves experience and beta, you're talking about WONid.

WON > STEAM in every way possible.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
corkscrewblow said:
you are wrong sir. i've been playing since 1.5 and i have an 8dig. if you want to talk about something that proves experience and beta, you're talking about WONid.

WON > STEAM in every way possible.
I meant it was a similar idea. Just some stupid way of saying that you've been playing longer and for some reason are more entitled to respect or some shit. I didn't mean they were interchangable.

edit: Fuck it.

I have a six digit steamid I got before HL2 came out and I've been playing CS since before the P90 was introduced.

So bow down. I am your new leader. From now on you shall do my bidding and if I PM you to undo a post you better edit that shit to "BobsRevenge is God and started playing CS before me."

Saerk

Javaman said:
Try verifying the game files. (Right click/properties/local files/verify)

Finally got it to start the other day. Apparently it still needed like a 15 megs. It was just wasnt even downloading it before.

Saterium

I did a quick search on the last few pages of the thread and didn't see this.

You can now register your Dawn of War Soulstorm cdkey to steam. Reason being is that the Dawn of War 2 beta that starts sometime soonish requires Soulstorm.

Kinda cool for the 5 other people that bought Soulstorm at retail, was a little worried I'd miss out on the DOW2 beta because I bought the retail version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom