• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicViper

brain_stew said:
Yep those are the only games it works with though. Nothing else can be gifted.
I think other games can still be gifted, but they have to be purchased as a gift specifically.

It's just that Half Life 2 and Episode 1 duplicates will become available as gifts.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Holy shit!

# Half-Life 2
# Half Life 2: Lost Coast
# Half-Life 2: Episode One
# Half-Life 2: Episode Two
# Portal
# Team Fortress 2
# Peggle Extreme

For 8 quid!

Purchased and key works, dling now. Holy holy fuck I am happy.

Stitch

Gold Member
Chiaroscuro said:
I can still put them into basket and enter checkout here (just tried, but I did not confirm the purchase)
yes, but after the purchase they will tell you that they don't have keys anymore and you have to wat for new ones :D

bathala

Banned
recommend a good Adventure game (excluding Sam and Max, Longest Journey)

I was thinking of Runaway reminds me of Monkey Island and Broken Sword

They are legit, but they are intended to be sold in a different region and country where the pricing schemes for games are different to address the demands of the local customer base.

The question is not one of legality, it's IMO one of ethics in the face of globalization, which to be honest hasn't been something valve has been handling well with their European customers lately to begin with.

rc213

Fragamemnon said:
They are legit, but they are intended to be sold in a different region and country where the pricing schemes for games are different to address the demands of the local customer base.

The question is not one of legality, it's IMO one of ethics in the face of globalization, which to be honest hasn't been something valve has been handling well with their European customers lately to begin with.

Damn you!

Well, I just bought L4D and activated it. I hope they don't deactivate it later but it's worth a shot at that price. I already have it on 360 but I've been wanting to try it on PC.

Fragamemnon said:

Well Poland is part of the EU, and by law as an EU resident I'm allowed to buy products from anywhere in the EU without any trade restrictions. As such, I have no problem buying these, its no different to someone from continental Europe buying their games from the UK because its cheaper, something many GAFers have been doing lately. The only difference is the delivery method, and if we're to go into the ethical side then sending an email is much better for the environment than sending a box that's only use is to provide a CD key.

The situation is slightly different for US GAFers but the law is on my side on this one.

Edit: Anyone tried the Half Life 1 pack yet? Does it have keys for each individual game or one master key? Just, if its a bunch of keys I'll go ahead and get it and then gift the spares to my brother/housemates.

brain_stew said:
Well Poland is part of the EU, and by law as an EU resident I'm allowed to buy products from anywhere in the EU without any trade restrictions. As such, I have no problem buying these, its no different to someone from continental Europe buying their games from the UK because its cheaper, something many GAFers have been doing lately. The only difference is the delivery method, and if we're to go into the ethical side then sending an email is much better for the environment than sending a box that's only use is to provide a CD key.

This is a great clarification of the issue for EU residents. I wouldn't hesitate to do this if I was in an EU member state.

The situation is slightly different for US GAFers but the law is on my side on this one.

Yeah, for US people it's a tad trickier. I know I run into the same issue with buying new games on eBay, as a lot are from Thailand and are SUPER cheap yet man you know that copy was not pressed with the intent that US owners play the game.

From the makers of the hit indie title Trials 2, comes the challenging new racing game Monster Trucks Nitro. Race, jump and nitroboost your way though thrilling dynamic levels with your monster trucks. Check out the demo for a taste of Monster Truck physics and the challenge of keeping your vehicle upright.

To celebrate the launch of this addictive new game, we are offering 50% off when you buy during the first week of sales.

# 24 fully dynamic tracks
# Be fast but use also your wits to pass the tracks
# Pass tracks fast enough to open next tracks
# Improve your times and earn medals
# Collect the Nitro tanks to unleash special powers!
# Unlock extra trucks!
# In-game leaderboards
# Rock solid playability
# Real Monster Truck physics

Demo:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/16630/

Full game ($10):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/16620/

I just tried out the demo and it's super short with only 2 tracks. I finished it in about 2 minutes or less so it's kinda hard to get a good read on the game. Right now, it feels like a Trials 2 expansion or something but with less depth to it. Like I said though, it's hard to get a read on the game by playing through 2 easy tracks without any nitro.

From a post from a developer:
Monster Truck is targeted to more casual audiences than the Trials series. It's much more about speed than balance.

Thomper

Yeah, I don't like it as much. Lacks the tricks, seems to lack challenge, lacks the online leaderboards, and lacks achievements. Not nearly as addicting. :(

Thomper said:
Yeah, I don't like it as much. Lacks the tricks, seems to lack challenge, lacks the online leaderboards, and lacks achievements. Not nearly as addicting. :(
I don't think you can really judge difficulty off the demo because it's probably just the first two tracks which also happened to be really simple in Trials 2. I'm going to wait for some impressions before I decide to purchase it though. I've been buying too many cheap games lately.

EDIT: I totally misread the bullet point and thought there were online leaderboards in the full version. That just completely turned me off of the game. I really loved the leaderboard system in Trials 2. It added a lot of replay value to the game.

Thomper

CrookedRain said:
I don't think you can really judge difficulty off the demo because it's probably just the first two tracks which also happened to be really simple in Trials 2. I'm going to wait for some impressions before I decide to purchase it though. I've been buying too many cheap games lately.

EDIT: I totally misread the bullet point and thought there were online leaderboards in the full version. That just completely turned me off of the game. I really loved the leaderboard system in Trials 2. It added a lot of replay value to the game.
That's true, which is why it's such a shame the demo only has those two tracks. And the online leaderboards being missing is a huuuuuuuge disappointment. It only has local leaderboards, which are pretty useless. The fact that Trials 2 has weekly rankings is what keeps me coming back to the game.

Edit: Ugh. Just noticed the 10 dollar price is the sale-price. Regular price is 20 dollars. Way too expensive, considering Trials 2 is always 10 bucks, and seems to offer quite a bit more. If there's anyone that can't decide between the two, definately go for Trials 2.

Bought Left 4 Dead from g2play link but I still haven't been emailed a key. How long did it take you guys to get your keys?

I had a friend buy it for me because I don't have a paypal account. Did he do something wrong and lose my key?

ninjavanish said:
Bought Left 4 Dead from g2play link but I still haven't been emailed a key. How long did it take you guys to get your keys?

I had a friend buy it for me because I don't have a paypal account. Did he do something wrong and lose my key?

You get given the key instantly, it'll appear on the screen once you've confirmed your payment.

You should receive an email as well, I've got them for 3 of my 4 purchases but one still ahsn't arrived, though as I'd already use it it didn't matter. Ask your friend to checkthrough his internet cache so that he can bring up the page where it lists the code.

Check on his Paypal login to make sure the transaction actually went through as well as he might have missed the last step (which isn't as clear as it should be).

RJT

CrookedRain said:
Full game ($10)
It's 9€ for me, which means a fair exchange rate (since 9€ includes VAT). I'm glad they're fixing the euro thing, even though most third party games are still 1:1.

brain_stew said:
You get given the key instantly, it'll appear on the screen once you've confirmed your payment.

You should receive an email as well, I've got them for 3 of my 4 purchases but one still ahsn't arrived, though as I'd already use it it didn't matter. Ask your friend to checkthrough his internet cache so that he can bring up the page where it lists the code.

Check on his Paypal login to make sure the transaction actually went through as well as he might have missed the last step (which isn't as clear as it should be).

Thanks. It emailed to my friend, not me. I can't wait to DL and play some Left 4 Dead tonight.

FatalT

Banned
I just bought the Monster Trucks game because I LOVED Trials 2 and there are no in-game leader boards as far as I can tell. WTF?

pilonv1

FatalT said:
I just bought the Monster Trucks game because I LOVED Trials 2 and there are no in-game leader boards as far as I can tell. WTF?

:lol not even in game leaderboards, let alone online leaderboards? so stupid

Javaman

Cool news for people who own boxed versions of Unreal Tournament 3...

Steam News said:
Update Unreal Tournament 3 With Steamworks
January 29, 2009, 2:22 pm - Alden Kroll - Press Release

In preparation for the massive update coming for Unreal Tournament 3, those who own a retail copy may now register it with Steam, free of charge.

The latest installment in the legendary online action series from Epic will be updated automatically via Steam and introduce support for Steamworks Achievements (with over 50 Achievements), plus a host of new features and enhancements in AI, Server Browsing, Demo Recording, Mod Support, and more.

To register your retail copy on Steam, simply click the main menu option 'Games' and select 'Activate a product on Steam' from within the Steam client.

edit: Beaten like a red headed stepchild.

FatalT

Banned
pilonv1 said:
:lol not even in game leaderboards, let alone online leaderboards? so stupid

Oh, wait a second, when you use both of those in the same sentence I see that they're different things now. Yeah, there's in-game leaderboards. For some reason I thought in-game leaderboards meant online leaderboards.

In-game leaderboards are useless though. After I finished a race I got to put my name on the completely empty leaderboard except for my own times. THE COMPETITION WITH MYSELF IS SO HEATED!

TheExodu5

Banned
BTW, got the D2 Battle Chest key set from mmo1st. Worked like a charm. I now have all Blizzard games registered on Blizzard's site. I still have my CDs for D2, but I lost my black slip cases with the keys on em.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A "sequel" of sorts to Trials 2 just came out - Monster Trucks Nitro. Just as addictive and insanely difficult as the old game.

Thomper

firehawk12 said:
A "sequel" of sorts to Trials 2 just came out - Monster Trucks Nitro. Just as addictive and insanely difficult as the old game.
Already posted a few posts up. And you're wrong, it's not nearly as addictive, with there being no online leaderboards. :(

Thomper

firehawk12 said:
Ah yeah, that's a big oversight actually. But, the core game is still there. Same game play with different mechanics. :)
Nah... from what I played it's not nearly as hard. :( The tricks-stuff is missing, and the truck is a slightly heavier thing to control. It's a shame, really, because Trials 2 was really awesome, but this... not so much.

MNC

12€ is fucking awesome. How bad is that duplicate key thing? Might show this to a friend.
EDIT: YOURE A FUCKING PUSSY PIM

RoH

Ok I need some STEAM help! I'm using my Xbox Headset and controller on the PC, How do I get split Sound ( Voice chat through headset / Game Audio through speakers)? Also, when I do a audio test within L4D I can hardly hear myself (voice is low and it cuts off my speech); the mic boost is maxed out, and I can do the same test from the steam desktop and and it sounds great.

The headset works perfectly with GFWL.

Jaded Alyx said:
That 'idiot' also happens to be a GAFfer :lol
Ouch! I even thought about cross checking his username on GAF but quickly discarded the thought, because I couldn't imagine that anyone from here would really do it. This is why we can't have nice things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom