• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recent unlocking of UT3 has me wondering: what other non-Valve games can be registered with Steam? I know World of Goo works fine, but other than that nothing comes to mind. Is there a list of supported games anywhere?

vanty

RoH said:
Ok I need some STEAM help! I'm using my Xbox Headset and controller on the PC, How do I get split Sound ( Voice chat through headset / Game Audio through speakers)? Also, when I do a audio test within L4D I can hardly hear myself (voice is low and it cuts off my speech); the mic boost is maxed out, and I can do the same test from the steam desktop and and it sounds great.

The headset works perfectly with GFWL.
I don't think what you want to do is possible. Voice in something like TF2 for example is just part of the game's audio the same way music and sound effects are, there's no way to split it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for that G2PLAY website link. I was able to just pick up the Half-Life Platinum pack (pretty much every game associated with the original Half-Life) for $7.22 after tax. I think I'll grab the Starcraft anthology as well.

Holy shit the Steam servers are fast when it comes to Valve games. I just downloaded the 2.4GB or whatever was required for all of the Half-Life games in like 3 minutes.

JDS 1977

Banned
If I already have Portal and Half-Life 2 on steam and then buy the orange box, will I have extra copies of Portal and HL2 to gift or trade or whatever?

Volcynika

JDS 1977 said:
If I already have Portal and Half-Life 2 on steam and then buy the orange box, will I have extra copies of Portal and HL2 to gift or trade or whatever?

I think the extra copies to gift thing only works with HL2 and Episode 1. Not sure though.

vanty

JDS 1977 said:

Steam Support said:
Extra copies are a special promotion for users who:

1. Purchase the “Left 4 Dead Four Pack” on Steam
2. Own “Half-Life 2” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack"
3. Own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode Two” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”

This special offer will allow you to send your extra game copy or copies to a friend who does not already own the game.

If your Steam account meets any of the conditions above, you will automatically receive extra copies of the related games which you can give to friends.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

So it seems you'll be able to give away a copy of HL2, but not Portal.

Saerk

I hope they can get Sierra and Lucas Arts up on Steam. I would so buy collections of all their old adventure games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Saerk said:
I hope they can get Sierra and Lucas Arts up on Steam. I would so buy collections of all their old adventure games.

That would be awesome!

I own the King's Quest collection on disc, but I would probably repurchase it on Steam if it was released.

Sciz

bathala said:
wat's the consensus on Sam and Max complete series?
Humor = to Monkey Island?
Everything Telltale has written is 24 karat comedy gold. Episode 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die! has been free for months now, so feel free to give it a try first.

Season Two is even better.

Strong Bad is excellent in its own right.

If this doesn't belong here, I apologize. But are there any Steam users from Britain who are actually logged into Steam right now? If so, please post here if you don't mind.

Shanks

Anybody having any issues with Steam tracking game times? It used to track Civilization 3: Complete and all my others but it has stopped doing it for I guess about a week or two now. The only games showing being Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 for some reason.

Erudite

Shanks said:
Anybody having any issues with Steam tracking game times? It used to track Civilization 3: Complete and all my others but it has stopped doing it for I guess about a week or two now. The only games showing being Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 for some reason.

If you mean by play time tracking, a little bit. My Mount & Blade play time hasn't been tracked, but some of my more recent games I turned on, like UT3, Audiosurf, even the DoW II: Beta are being tracked.

bathala

Banned
Sciz said:
Everything Telltale has written is 24 karat comedy gold. Episode 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die! has been free for months now, so feel free to give it a try first.

Season Two is even better.

Strong Bad is excellent in its own right.
I was thinking of DL 104 but its in the middle of the season. won't I get confuse with the story?

Sciz

bathala said:
I was thinking of DL 104 but its in the middle of the season. won't I get confuse with the story?
As long as you don't play 106 first, it doesn't really matter. Season One is pretty loosely tied together up until the end. The worst that will happen is you'll be slightly more confused by the inherent oddness of Sybil, Bosco, and the Soda Poppers than you would be anyway.

Shanks

Traced-Velocity said:
If you mean by play time tracking, a little bit. My Mount & Blade play time hasn't been tracked, but some of my more recent games I turned on, like UT3, Audiosurf, even the DoW II: Beta are being tracked.

My Mount and Blade time is also not being tracked.....

bathala

Banned
Sciz said:
As long as you don't play 106 first, it doesn't really matter. Season One is pretty loosely tied together up until the end. The worst that will happen is you'll be slightly more confused by the inherent oddness of Sybil, Bosco, and the Soda Poppers than you would be anyway.
ok thanks I'll DL it right now.
I'm itching for a humor game

Thomper

Varna said:
Dead Space seem to be in one of those formats, I couldn't get my copy to unlock though.

Pretty much all PC-games have 'one of those formats' with their CD-keys. That's not the point, though, as the game has to support Steamworks for it to be allowed. If a developer/publisher doesn't put it in, it won't work. The format of the CD-key has nothing to do with it.

Synless

Is GTA: San Andreas good on the PC? It was my favorite of all the gta games I wasn't sure if it held up well on pc.

Varna said:
Dead Space seem to be in one of those formats, I couldn't get my copy to unlock though.
Well it's not on the list, only the games mentioned in the link can be registered.
Synless said:
Is GTA: San Andreas good on the PC? It was my favorite of all the gta games I wasn't sure if it held up well on pc.
It's great, but the steam version can't be modded iirc.

Mrbob

I hope that is true about FEAR 2. I'm not getting it day one, but I'll get it after a price drop. The title will drop in price quicker at retail, and I'd love to put the key into steam.

Slavik81

Kabouter said:
Wow. Somebody put a lot of work into that.
People must REALLY love Steam if they want to buy from them that much that they'd make an entire site in hopes of lowering the prices. I mean, as that site shows, they could just buy the retail copies and save money, but they REALLY want to buy it from Steam...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Action Jackson said:
Well it's not on the list, only the games mentioned in the link can be registered.

It's great, but the steam version can't be modded iirc.

I've modded the Steam version.

Capndrake

Slavik81 said:
Wow. Somebody put a lot of work into that.
People must REALLY love Steam if they want to buy from them that much that they'd make an entire site in hopes of lowering the prices. I mean, as that site shows, they could just buy the retail copies and save money, but they REALLY want to buy it from Steam...
No, it's because games cost far more on Steam in Europe than they do in the US, which is completely unfair.

Slavik81

Capndrake said:
No, it's because games cost far more on Steam in Europe than they do in the US, which is completely unfair.
Yeah, but you can just buy them at retail. If nobody liked Steam, they'd just buy them at retail and be done with it.

Clearly, people would prefer to buy their games from Steam, but are put off by the cost.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Capndrake said:

Its not unfair if you have other options. I agree that someone must really want to buy from steam if they went to that extent. I think they should actually add a link to a retail where you can buy it cheaper from to further the message though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Action Jackson said:
Please share how you did it.

Having just done a search, I didn't realize it was actually a big deal. Maybe it was the type of mod I was using, but I just copied it into the appropriate steam apps folder and it worked. I think it was an "added special effects" kind of mod.

I didn't have to fuss around with the executable, if I recall correctly, so that may be why it worked.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Someone changed my password and stole my account. I've submitted a help email via the support page. How long should I expect to wait to get this sorted?

I'm really pissed. >x

Volcynika

Dani said:
Someone changed my password and stole my account. I've submitted a help email via the support page. How long should I expect to wait to get this sorted?

I'm really pissed. >x

If you got a support ticket, Valve actually moves fairly quickly on most things. And with something serious as this, it'll be high on their priority list. Let us know how it goes, hope you get your account back soon.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Volcynika said:
If you got a support ticket, Valve actually moves fairly quickly on most things. And with something serious as this, it'll be high on their priority list. Let us know how it goes, hope you get your account back soon.

Thanks.

I tried resetting the password via the Steam client but I didn't get an email, so I guess they changed the email details too. =(

I just got a good deal on the PC SE of Fallout 3, and I imagine i'll want to purchase the DLC after I complete it. However, I'd eventually like to get the Steam version (for posterity). Anyone know if the DLC I buy will be compatible with the Steam version if I get it for my regular copy first?

Rufus

Quick question: How do you bring up the configuration menu again after you've first used it? This is about BG&E specifically and generally about every game (or rather console port...) that has a pre-start configuration menu and no in-game configuration options beyond volume adjustment.

edit: Nevermind, found it out myself. I should go to sleep...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Says Hawx just came out...

Hmm...

I don't have a joystick so it probably isn't worth even considering. I guess I could use a DS3, but whatever.

edit: That's odd. It is under new releases but you can't buy it or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom