• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioHazard

BobsRevenge said:
Says Hawx just came out...

Hmm...

I don't have a joystick so it probably isn't worth even considering. I guess I could use a DS3, but whatever.

edit: That's odd. It is under new releases but you can't buy it or something...

I'm pretty sure that was just a date they just chose as a place holder, and forgot to update it. It isn't out yet :/

Proc

letsbereasonable said:
I just got a good deal on the PC SE of Fallout 3, and I imagine i'll want to purchase the DLC after I complete it. However, I'd eventually like to get the Steam version (for posterity). Anyone know if the DLC I buy will be compatible with the Steam version if I get it for my regular copy first?

The dlc is tied to your live account so you shouldn't have any problems.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Still no update or contact from steam regarding my stolen account. =(

What is the worst that can happen with my account? Should I be worried more?

Dani said:
Still no update or contact from steam regarding my stolen account. =(

What is the worst that can happen with my account? Should I be worried more?

They can send mean letters to your friends and maybe get you banned from VAC. If you have third party games which run on CD Keys, they can copy them down and use them in a pirated copy even if you get your account back, which usually means that the two of you can't play the game at the same time. I think that's about it.

edit: or if you have third-party games with crappy install limits, they can use all of them up.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
epmode said:
Valve support does not work on weekends.

Good to know, actually.

TouchMyBox said:
They can send mean letters to your friends and maybe get you banned from VAC. If you have third party games which run on CD Keys, they can copy them down and use them in a pirated copy even if you get your account back, which usually means that the two of you can't play the game at the same time. I think that's about it.

edit: or if you have third-party games with crappy install limits, they can use all of them up.

No third party games, everything was dled from Steam itself. I only have gaffers on my Steam list, and they should be aware of the theft so that brings some piece of mind.

That serial thing is annoying though, hopefully it won't effect me too much.

Rhythmic

Was it a low steam id account Dani? If so then I wouldn't worry to much it was probably just counter strike kids wanting to take yours so they can have a low steam id to show off to others who play counter strike.

If that was the case I doubt they will bother messing with your other games. If it isn't then I would be worried.

Rhythmic said:
Was it a low steam id account Dani? If so then I wouldn't worry to much it was probably just counter strike kids wanting to take yours so they can have a low steam id to show off to others who play counter strike.

If that was the case I doubt they will bother messing with your other games. If it isn't then I would be worried.

Damn, people are losers.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, does Valve actually DO something if your account was stolen?

I was under the impression that the actual user agreement explicitly says that if you ever get your account stolen and/or VAC banned, they EXPLICITLY will not listen to ANYTHING you say trying to contact support or whatever, and your games are gone forever online. Or maybe that's only for VAC bans...but it's a short step from an account being stolen to being VAC banned.

bardia

Blizzard said:
Wait, does Valve actually DO something if your account was stolen?

I was under the impression that the actual user agreement explicitly says that if you ever get your account stolen and/or VAC banned, they EXPLICITLY will not listen to ANYTHING you say trying to contact support or whatever, and your games are gone forever online. Or maybe that's only for VAC bans...but it's a short step from an account being stolen to being VAC banned.

I got my account stolen over 2 years ago, quit PC gaming, decided to get a new PC last month and all I did was take a picture of my HL2 CD Key/Case and sent it into support. 2 days later I got my account back :)

Blizzard

Banned
bardia said:
I got my account stolen over 2 years ago, quit PC gaming, decided to get a new PC last month and all I did was take a picture of my HL2 CD Key/Case and sent it into support. 2 days later I got my account back :)

All of my Steam games are purchased through Steam. :( Also, your account presumably wasn't banned.

Rhythmic

Dani said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is a low steam account over a normal one?

You get assigned an id number depending on when you registered your steam account. So people who registered their steam accounts years ago have low number in the thousands. Compared to somebody who maybe got their account just a few months ago would be in the millions.

Why does it matter? It really doesn't. It doesn't really mean a damn thing but counter strike kids(actually, valve multiplayer games in general, I've seen it in DOD and team fortress) like to use it as a measure of skill. As if the fact they got their account means they have been playing longer so they are better than somebody who has a bigger larger steam id number.

So, some of them go out and purposely try to steal accounts that have been registered for years hoping for a good small steam id number so they can brag. Basically a giant dick waving contest for valve nerds.

I have had my steam account stolen before by a cs kid who wanted it since my id is in the 5000s. I had it back within 4 or so days.

Rhythmic

Blizzard said:
All of my Steam games are purchased through Steam. :( Also, your account presumably wasn't banned.

That is a good thing actually. If your account does get stolen you just have to provide cc info inside your support ticket that you used to purchase the games. It is what I did and I got my account back pretty quick.

NMan

bardia said:
Heh that's exactly what did except I used my HL1 case.

Akia

How do people manage to steal someone's Steam password? Through Valve's servers or are they manually accessing computers you've used?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Rhythmic said:
You get assigned an id number depending on when you registered your steam account. So people who registered their steam accounts years ago have low number in the thousands. Compared to somebody who maybe got their account just a few months ago would be in the millions.

Why does it matter? It really doesn't. It doesn't really mean a damn thing but counter strike kids(actually, valve multiplayer games in general, I've seen it in DOD and team fortress) like to use it as a measure of skill. As if the fact they got their account means they have been playing longer so they are better than somebody who has a bigger larger steam id number.

So, some of them go out and purposely try to steal accounts that have been registered for years hoping for a good small steam id number so they can brag. Basically a giant dick waving contest for valve nerds.

I have had my steam account stolen before by a cs kid who wanted it since my id is in the 5000s. I had it back within 4 or so days.

Well I registered last year so I doubt that was the motive. I ran a system check and scan in case I had a keylogger, so dice. Also, never gave my password to anything other than the Steam client so that rules out being spoofed.

What worries me is the only place I have ever posted my Steam account name was here on GAF.

Also, just released, my orange box purchase was not steam but that polish site. I didn't give any details to them either as it wasn't asked for.

Akia said:
How do people manage to steal someone's Steam password? Through Valve's servers or are they manually accessing computers you've used?

Good question, I checked everything, from keyloggers or virus, scam sites, etc and nada in my case. My password was also rather complicated. Puzzles me it does.

Rhythmic

Akia said:

Most just try to scam people out of their info. Some correctly manage to guess your password using your password hints. Keyloggers and hacked exes they give to people who think they are getting free games. Only ones I know of anyway but I am sure there are other ways for those who really really care about it.

That is the internet for you. Plenty of nerds who want to do something and WILL find a way to do it.

In reply to Dani
As for motive, It is usually the steam id. They might not even have known what your number was and just keep trying to steal as many accounts as possible till they find a jackpot. If you just got yours last year I really think your account will be fine. A really good chance they won't mess with it too much since it doesn't have what they want. I am sure you will get everything back soon with no problems.

Javaman

I don't understand the low id logic. Aren't they going to lose their access in a couple of days once the account is returned to the rightful owner?

Dani said:
Well I registered last year so I doubt that was the motive. I ran a system check and scan in case I had a keylogger, so dice. Also, never gave my password to anything other than the Steam client so that rules out being spoofed.

What worries me is the only place I have ever posted my Steam account name was here on GAF.

Also, just released, my orange box purchase was not steam but that polish site. I didn't give any details to them either as it wasn't asked for.

Good question, I checked everything, from keyloggers or virus, scam sites, etc and nada in my case. My password was also rather complicated. Puzzles me it does.

What about following a link that someone in your friend list sent you where you had to sign into Steam? Nobody is able to log into your account without your info and if you have a strong password the chances that somebody guessed it are small to nil. Usually somebody gets their account stolen by logging into a site they thought was Steam.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LovingSteam said:
What about following a link that someone in your friend list sent you where you had to sign into Steam? Nobody is able to log into your account without your info and if you have a strong password the chances that somebody guessed it are small to nil. Usually somebody gets their account stolen by logging into a site they thought was Steam.

Nope, did nothing of the sort. I'm actually stomped as to the reason. I could be missing something, but I doubt it. I've only used the Steam client when entering my password.

Also, only gaffers from the DOW2 Beta on my friend's list. Wouldn't want to think that they had anything to do with it.

Volcynika

Rhythmic said:
In reply to Dani
As for motive, It is usually the steam id.

Honestly, I've never seen that idea come across in any of the whole "steam account hacked stuff." If so, it's the dumbest motive I've ever heard of someone having.

Dani said:
Nope, did nothing of the sort. I'm actually stomped as to the reason. I could be missing something, but I doubt it. I've only used the Steam client when entering my password.

Also, only gaffers from the DOW2 Beta on my friend's list. Wouldn't want to think that they had anything to do with it.

So was the account stolen or disabled? Are you sure your password is strong? Have you put it into a password checker to see? I hope I am not coming off as judgmental, just want to make sure all angels can be checked.

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/checker.mspx

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My old password comes up as strong on that site. Could have been better then.

Definitely stolen, got an email saying my password was changed, then I couldn't log in and it wouldn't send me the reset password email.

It was iwasdani, can't check my Steam profile oddly, though I have never checked it before.

Dear iwasdani,

This email message confirms that your Steam account password has been successfully changed.

We are sending this notice to ensure the privacy and security of your Steam account. If you authorized this change, no further action is necessary. If you did not authorize this change, or if you need additional help with your account, please follow this link to the Steam Support site and submit a request for assistance:

url here

Thanks for reviewing this information and helping us to maintain the privacy and security of your account.

=(

I think the password change system is silly, they should require email verification beforehand, it's pointless afterward. Like an official rubber stamp that you got fucked over and have a long wait ahead before it's fixed.

Wired

So, why doesn't Steam require all password changes to be confirmed by clicking a link in a mail, and if they do why is it possible to change the mail address without the same type of confirmation?

Wired said:
So, why doesn't Steam require all password changes to be confirmed by clicking a link in a mail, and if they do why is it possible to change the mail address without the same type of confirmation?

This is one of the big complaints against Valve's way of requesting a new password. You are able to change the email address on file by simply logging into said account.

Dani said:
My old password comes up as strong on that site. Could have been better then.

Definitely stolen, got an email saying my password was changed, then I couldn't log in and it wouldn't send me the reset password email.

It was iwasdani, can't check my Steam profile oddly, though I have never checked it before.

=(

I think the password change system is silly, they should require email verification beforehand, it's pointless afterward. Like an official rubber stamp that you got fucked over and have a long wait ahead before it's fixed.

They changed your profile name. That is why you can no longer find your profile. However, as long as you can prove you purchased atleast one game on that account, be it cc statement, email from Paypal, or picture of the key then Valve will reinstate your account. However, you do need to worry about a VAC ban.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
They changed your profile name. That is why you can no longer find your profile. However, as long as you can prove you purchased atleast one game on that account, be it cc statement, email from Paypal, or picture of the key then Valve will reinstate your account. However, you do need to worry about a VAC ban.

And that was what I was afraid of. Customer support will fix it for you...unless someone stole AND did something bad, in which case you're out hundreds of dollars, per your own signed agreement. =(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blizzard said:
And that was what I was afraid of. Customer support will fix it for you...unless someone stole AND did something bad, in which case you're out hundreds of dollars, per your own signed agreement. =(
What? They actually put that into the agreement? That someone can potential fuck you over so bad that they refuse to help? If that happens to me I'm going to take my money elsewhere in future.

Fucking even pirates have it better than that.

That sort of crap wouldn't fly on home consoles either. Such potential bullshit.

Blizzard

Banned
Dani said:
What? They actually put that into the agreement? That someone can potential fuck you over so bad that they refuse to help? If that happens to me I'm going to take my money elsewhere in future.

See this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-RADZ-6869

And also this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4044-QDHJ-5691

Basically, they will refuse to tell you when or why you triggered the banning system, and they consider it your responsibility no matter who was using your account at the time. They will not under any circumstances transfer any of your keys or whatnot to another account, and basically recommend you reformat your computer if you claim you had no cheats on it and something triggered a VAC ban.

Not to mention, I've modified a .EXE of a single-player game to test map modding (Mirror's Edge) -- I don't have an EA account, and haven't done any online time trials. But I still kind of worry that such EXE modification might set off something, in which case bang, you're dead, no playing on online secure servers again.

neight

Banned
Rhythmic said:
In reply to Dani
As for motive, It is usually the steam id.
A guy that steals Steam accounts on another forum I'm on just seems to do it for fun because it makes him feel 1337.

Dani said:

That sort of crap wouldn't fly on home consoles either. Such potential bullshit.

You would still have access to all of your games but not on VAC secure servers.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hmm. This has made me very wary of adding any multiplayer games to my account if and when I get my account back. I would be annoyed if I couldn't play freely on TF2 and I was also considering registering my Unreal 3 key. Not any more I don't think.

Dani said:
Hmm. This has made me very wary of adding any multiplayer games to my account if and when I get my account back. I would be annoyed if I couldn't play freely on TF2 and I was also considering registering my Unreal 3 key. Not any more I don't think.

The problem is even when you get your account back it might get VAC in the future. It can take VAC 3 or 4 weeks to flag your account. Which means a month after getting your account back, signing into Steam to play some TF2, you may find it was VAC banned. Not trying to scare you just letting you know the potential problems.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LovingSteam said:
The problem is even when you get your account back it might get VAC in the future. It can take VAC 3 or 4 weeks to flag your account. Which means a month after getting your account back, signing into Steam to play some TF2, you may find it was VAC banned. Not trying to scare you just letting you know the potential problems.

Yeah, and I'll wait at least a month before buying anything on there or registering any multiplayer game keys. If it does happen, they can fuck off. I'll take my business elsewhere. In this day and age with the ability to prove what I have and have not done I should not be penalised for actions taken by other people.

If Steam or anyone else hold me accountable for anyone else's actions they will lose me as a customer.

Why the hell this is accepted I will never know. I hope it doesn't come to this.

Blizzard said:
See this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7849-RADZ-6869

And also this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4044-QDHJ-5691

Basically, they will refuse to tell you when or why you triggered the banning system, and they consider it your responsibility no matter who was using your account at the time. They will not under any circumstances transfer any of your keys or whatnot to another account, and basically recommend you reformat your computer if you claim you had no cheats on it and something triggered a VAC ban.

Not to mention, I've modified a .EXE of a single-player game to test map modding (Mirror's Edge) -- I don't have an EA account, and haven't done any online time trials. But I still kind of worry that such EXE modification might set off something, in which case bang, you're dead, no playing on online secure servers again.
Not many games use VAC. For the most part, it's just Valve's games that use it. Mirror's Edge has nothing to do with VAC.

Blizzard

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Not many games use VAC. For the most part, it's just Valve's games that use it. Mirror's Edge has nothing to do with VAC.

Thanks. I understand Valve's position, but it still makes me a little sad. The good part is that in THEORY, if I was ever hacked (I try to be careful and use a strong password etc.), I'd only have to rebuy the orange box and left 4 dead (maybe I could find a deal). So I wouldn't lose everything. Thanks for the additional information, people.

Rhythmic

neight said:
A guy that steals Steam accounts on another forum I'm on just seems to do it for fun because it makes him feel 1337.

I can totally believe that.

Volcynika said:
Honestly, I've never seen that idea come across in any of the whole "steam account hacked stuff." If so, it's the dumbest motive I've ever heard of someone having.

It really is a stupid motive. It is exclusive to the valve multiplayer community really which makes up a ton of steam users to begin with. CS nerds are some of the worse.
Check this out. Just a month ago I was playing some cs and had a guy try to argue with me for about 15 minutes about whether or not I bought or stole my steam account. His argument being that I wasn't good enough of a player for such a low id number. I get crap like that and offers to buy it off me way too much. A friend of mine sold his account off on ebay for 150 bucks last year as well.

Volcynika

Fireblend said:
Huh? Anyone else having issues with Steam as of a few mins. ago? I can't login(get the error "Error verifying humanity"), and http://steamcommunity.com/id/fireblend/games says profile not found. I checked with a friend and he seems to have the same issue. Anyone got this as well?

You must've fallen to the zombie apocalypse!

Steam community might be down-ish, maybe they're putting up the L4D stats again!....yeah I'm not sure.

But no, I didn't have any issues lately...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom