• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crye

Yea I got discontented from all my convos and the friend list went down. Restarted it got an update but still no friends list. Can log in fine though.

Meh, it'll probably be back in 10 mins...

M3wThr33

Banned
Steam just got a beefy patch.
Mainly fixing issues with non-Steam games not reporting that you were in game.

# Added ability to specify content download region (in Settings->downloads)
# Fixed a condition that would prevent Steam from automatically applying game updates until game launch
# Fixed a bug preventing in-game status for 3rd party games
# Fixed running a non-Steam shortcut not changing user status to in-game
# Updated processor detection for "System Information" window and hardware survey
# Detect Windows 7 correctly in the hardware survey/system info dialog
# Fixed a bug affecting Dawn of War II beta participants in certain languages
# Fixed a bug in the game overlay affecting some Dawn of War II beta participants who have the game overlay disabled
# Fixed a rare case where Steam could prevent games from launching
# Fix crash when right-clicking a text edit control with an input locale that is new with Vista
# Updated German localization
# Fixed some potential string truncation in non-English locales
# Repaired layout of controls in Event announcement popup window
# Additional network API warnings for Steamworks partners

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Nice, the patch seems to fix a particular issue I was having playing the DOW2 beta.

Now, if they only they would respond to my hijacked account ticket. =(

Fireblend said:
Thought that was funny too :lol I guess Steam detected my lack of soul.
Anyway, just changed the password, restarted Steam and it worked. Crisis adverted.
Just a quick FYI, that stuff is usually just maintenance when you can't log in so no need to freak or change your password. :D If you're signed in, your friends list will be unavailable and shit w/ a little 'down for maintenance' message, and if you're not logged in you won't be able to--if its just routine stuff though, everything is back to normal within 10-15 minutes so waiting it out is best!

FightyF

Banned
fushi said:
I also just now realized that buying The Orange Box does, in fact, not net me an extra gift copy of Portal (which I've bought previously). It only works with HL2, both Episodes, and L4D. Not Portal, or any other game. This sucks.

Yeah it does kinda suck, but I can't complain, I got a crazy deal.

I bought TF2 a long time ago when there was a deal for it ($19.99, which is the regular price right now though), but now I gave in and bought Orange Box, and I thought I'd be able to gift TF2 to a friend but that's not the case. Again, can't complain because in the end I spent $50 for Orange Box, which isn't bad, and many paid that price for it.

I'd buy UT3 right now but I have an issue that I'm hoping you fellows would be able to help me with.

I have a 200Gb HDD that is my base drive with my Windows and Program Files on it. It's near full. I also have a 500Gb HDD with all my other stuff.

Can I somehow move my Steam directory over to the 500Gb and have it all work fine or will it screw up because my registry or something has to be updated as well?

Obviously the first thing I should be doing is transferring non-critical stuff over to my 500Gb drive, and I've done that and I've freed up 10Gb, but then I bought Orange Box and now I'm down to 5Gb or so. The real culprit is my music stuff (software/samples) that I make music with, but I need all of that on my 200Gb drive.

MNC

WHY IS NO ONE ON TO THIS LIKE BOXXY TO 4CHAN (God, sorry for that, late night youtubing does that to you)

Almost every area is available! Someone try this to a game wasn't available at first! UK with Mass Effect ie.

Sciz

FightyF said:
I'd buy UT3 right now but I have an issue that I'm hoping you fellows would be able to help me with.

I have a 200Gb HDD that is my base drive with my Windows and Program Files on it. It's near full. I also have a 500Gb HDD with all my other stuff.

Can I somehow move my Steam directory over to the 500Gb and have it all work fine or will it screw up because my registry or something has to be updated as well?

Obviously the first thing I should be doing is transferring non-critical stuff over to my 500Gb drive, and I've done that and I've freed up 10Gb, but then I bought Orange Box and now I'm down to 5Gb or so. The real culprit is my music stuff (software/samples) that I make music with, but I need all of that on my 200Gb drive.
Easy. Just move your steamapps folder over, uninstall Steam, reinstall Steam on the new drive, and move steamapps into position. Works like a charm.

BobJustBob said:
Thank god! I've had that for like a year.

Haha, holy shit. I restarted Steam to apply the update and immediately five different games started updating. For so fucking long I've had this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was just reading the update news on here and before I started the first word steam popped open and told me :lol

Let me know how that regional thing goes.

M3wThr33 said:
Steam just got a beefy patch.
Mainly fixing issues with non-Steam games not reporting that you were in game.

Cool, now I can find out how much of my week I really waste playing PC games instead of doing work. Uh-oh, this isn't going to look pretty.

Mine hasn't updated yet.

MNC said:

WHY IS NO ONE ON TO THIS LIKE BOXXY TO 4CHAN (God, sorry for that, late night youtubing does that to you)

Almost every area is available! Someone try this to a game wasn't available at first! UK with Mass Effect ie.

If this means EA games in the UK, then happy times are here. Hopefully this lets fellow Steam users on the continent to take advantage of the great Steam pricing in the UK.

Edit: And just as I type that Steam goes off and updates itself. Damn I love the Steam platform, it just nails so much, Microsoft could do a whole lot worse than let Steam takeover as the platform for GFW, it accomplishes almost evrything that initiative set out to do.

Edit again: Hmm, the setting doesn't seem to affect the store, guess it just changes which servers you download your content from.

MNC

So how's that polish site working out for you guys? Someone I know might still be interested in a cheap L4D.

Roquentin

I don't know if they also upgraded their servers with the latest update, but Steam is now working about 3 times faster for me (launch time, store speed, etc.).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I got my account back, success!

It's currently disabled! =(

Well it seems I'm half way there. I'm assuming the disability is part of the account recovery process so I think, and hope, it should be over soon.

Europa Universalis III Complete, Knights of Honor, and Take Command - Second Manassas have all hit Steam. What's odd is that I was just hunting for EU3 Complete a few days ago but decided to hold off until it hit Gamer's Gate, it hadn't occurred to me that Steam would get it first. Plus I was just reading up on Knights of Honor, due to the Crytek news and was planning on buying it soon. Long story short: my thoughts control Steam.

Europa Universalis (1) is a buck at Gamer's Gate, for those interested.

Mash

BiasedGamer said:
I don't know if they also upgraded their servers with the latest update, but Steam is now working about 3 times faster for me (launch time, store speed, etc.).

Noticed that too. I'm very tempted to get the Ghost Recon pack, never played the latest ones, how active are they online anyone?

I have just received an e-mail from that Polish guys:

"Dear friends

As you might have noticed our website experienced major difficulties in the last few days. This was unfortnatley due to hardware issues by our hosting service provider. However we are now back again with all data restored.

Moreover we have enough Left 4 Dead on stock now at the same very good price! We are now working on delivering yourLeft 4 Dead reservations.

Best Regards

G2PLAY Team"

Capndrake

Eschalon Book 1 and Perimeter 2 are on Steam now.

I played a demo of Eschalon a while ago and it was fun, but pretty hard. Might finally buy it.

Fireblend

Banned
Huh, weird. I just formatted my computer, and made sure to backup my steamapps folder. Now, although it did work and I can play everything just fine, the status seems to be stuck in "Download starting...". There's obviously nothing to download, tried reinstalling steam, deleting the folder except for the steamapps folder and steam.exe... nothing. Anyone know if there's any fix? Anyway I'd rather have this than re-download all my games...

epmode

I'm not sure about that. I used the Steam backup feature (File > Backup Games) the last time I reformatted. Everything updated correctly.

It might just be temporary trouble with the Steam network.

edit: Did you try checking the integrity of your installed games?

Fireblend

Banned
epmode said:
I'm not sure about that. I used the Steam backup feature (File > Backup Games) the last time I reformatted. Everything updated correctly.

It might just be temporary trouble with the Steam network.

edit: Did you try checking the integrity of your installed games?
Yup, but no go. I actually had no chance to use the backup feature because Windows wasn't working (which is why I reinstalled).

Fireblend said:
Huh, weird. I just formatted my computer, and made sure to backup my steamapps folder. Now, although it did work and I can play everything just fine, the status seems to be stuck in "Download starting...". There's obviously nothing to download, tried reinstalling steam, deleting the folder except for the steamapps folder and steam.exe... nothing. Anyone know if there's any fix? Anyway I'd rather have this than re-download all my games...
Did you try pausing and resuming the downloads?

Fireblend

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Did you try pausing and resuming the downloads?
Yeah. It pauses and "starts resuming" but never goes any further. I know if it's updating, I can double click the game and a window will popup with the update progress, but in this case that just launches the game.

Actually, I just tried verifying the integrity and Left 4 Dead went back to ready. Curiously, that same trick won't fix Portal :p

Twig

Banned
Fireblend said:
Yeah. It pauses and "starts resuming" but never goes any further. I know if it's updating, I can double click the game and a window will popup with the update progress, but in this case that just launches the game.

Actually, I just tried verifying the integrity and Left 4 Dead went back to ready. Curiously, that same trick won't fix Portal :p
I had that problem once, too, and I just ended up redownloading everything.

Then the next time I reinstalled Windows, it all worked perfectly.

Seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. O:

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
I had that problem once, too, and I just ended up redownloading everything.

Then the next time I reinstalled Windows, it all worked perfectly.

Seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. O:

I'm having that problem with TF2 now, it always just says "Download starting...". Is there really no way to fix it without deleting everything and redownloading?

Slavik81

Blizzard said:
I'm having that problem with TF2 now, it always just says "Download starting...". Is there really no way to fix it without deleting everything and redownloading?
Try launching the game. It will then bring up a little download menu and that might fix it.

Twig

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Try launching the game. It will then bring up a little download menu and that might fix it.
This solution has also worked and not worked for me.

Like I said. Crapshoot. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Slavik81 said:

Nope, no menu comes up. If my download is paused when I launch, it unpauses and then the game just starts as normal.

pilonv1

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27400/

0000007533.1024x768.jpg

In the 1920s, young women had a chance to change society--by misbehaving. Gather a gang of girls. Explore. Battle petty townsfolk with quick, naughty games: Fib, Flirt, Taunt... Win boyfriends and other useful prizes. Expose the town's depraved secret before it entraps your girls.

Explore four beautiful game boards, dozens of character cards, and thousands of dialog cards (worn and aged from decades of neglect) which comprise the zany world of an American small town in the 1920s.

Someone tell me this is awesome.

Has anyone tried to buy L4D keys from G2play recently? I keep trying and it looks like it's crapping out when paypal is trying to send me back to g2play to finish the transaction. Anyone else run into this?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
pilonv1 said:
Someone tell me this is awesome.

Eh, its alright. Its a weird board game mixed with mini games. If you like words like "Parley" and "Speak Easy" then it might be up your alley.

Mudo

Anyone here using Vista 64? I bought a few games about 6 months ago and was able to install them but a couple wouldn't launch (went to a black screen, stayed there), and reinstalling didn't help. I then started getting really weird things happening on my computer, like things "not responding" and a few blue screens - one of which nearly made me have to reinstall windows....needless to say, I uninstalled Steam and since then haven't had a single problem on my computer. I assume that the problems were coming from Steam but am not sure if there is anything I can do about it or not - I really want to play the games I bought!

Mudo said:
Anyone here using Vista 64?

I'm using V64 and Steam. I don't have any problems. However, I ONLY load up Steam when I am playing a game. I never allow Steam (or pretty much anything else) to start with Windows and just sit there, possilbly leading to problems. If you were having issues during a Steam game, that could be any number of causes that might not be related to the client.

Median

Is anyone else having issues making purchases from Steam? I've been trying to buy Puzzle Quest: Galactrix and after telling me that an unknown error had occurred with my payment, I can't add the game to my cart anymore. I also can't log in to the Steam forums or Support. Support keeps telling me that my username/email does not exist.

EDIT: Disregard that, seems to work now.

Struct09

Mudo said:
Anyone here using Vista 64? I bought a few games about 6 months ago and was able to install them but a couple wouldn't launch (went to a black screen, stayed there), and reinstalling didn't help. I then started getting really weird things happening on my computer, like things "not responding" and a few blue screens - one of which nearly made me have to reinstall windows....needless to say, I uninstalled Steam and since then haven't had a single problem on my computer. I assume that the problems were coming from Steam but am not sure if there is anything I can do about it or not - I really want to play the games I bought!

I've been running Vista x64 since mid 2007, and Steam was one of the first things I installed. No problems here.

Remy

I went in for SlamIt Pinball and Puzzle Quest. I think I spent more time with SlamIt tonight.

So long as you know you're only getting one table, it's a safe buy. The graphics/physics/sounds are all solid - the ball has good weight to it. There are a lot of modes (12 full modes and 8 mini-modes, according to the website), and the table flows well.

There's also some interesting unique features. The "SlamIt" controls for nudging are amusing (you just mash the keyboard); there's an Internet Ranking system; there's actually four characters that apparently have "different abilities".

I'm pretty happy with it, and for $5 I'm not sure how people couldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom