• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard said:
:lol

Also, LovingSteam, since it's like two pages later, could you please confirm the accuracy of this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21535991&postcount=17799

From people in the official Steam forums including Valve employees yes, unfortunately its true. Now are there people who have used proxies and didn't experience any negative impact? Sure. Is it something I would risk myself? No. I figure that Valve allows us to gift games across regions so its not that big of a deal.

UrbanRats

Buttonbasher said:
There are good parts in it, sure. But as a whole it's pretty bad. The first game was really cool and original, and had characters that didn't look or act out of the ordinary. While there were paranormal elements, you could suspend your disbelief enough that it all felt down to earth.

Condemned 2 has changed the character into a drunk that fights magicians, bears, a stupid ghost cult, and shouts birds to death. Compared to the first game it's a laughable mess. It's like they focused on making the gameplay more interesting and remembered they needed a story at the 11th hour. They even managed to retcon in why the homeless people were so violent to you in the first game (an explanation that managed to diminish my enjoyment of the first). When the credits rolled I remember putting the controller down and just shaking my head after what I had just played.

I suppose it's possible that I went in expecting too much (having really enjoyed the first game). They really fixed the gameplay and made it look a lot better, but for the part I cared about most (the story) I don't see how many fans of the first could walk away satisfied.
I see.
I've seen a badass part with a bear on youtube and thought it was original, but not having played the first one, i don't know if it's out of context for the series or what.
Maybe i'll just get the first one on PC then.
Thanks for the heads up. :D

ArjanN

UrbanRats said:
I see.
I've seen a badass part with a bear on youtube and thought it was original, but not having played the first one, i don't know if it's out of context for the series or what.
Maybe i'll just get the first one on PC then.
Thanks for the heads up. :D

I don't think the bear was out of place at all, IMO it was a great way to have a "monster" in a realistic setting.

The overall direction of the story wasn't as good, but the game stlll has some good moments/levels.

drkOne

vazel said:
Edit: I kept hassling the guy and he says he doesn't know what I'm talking about. That his Steam went haywire and he had to restart his PC and someone else must've gotten into his Steam. I don't think he's telling the truth so he's going off my friends list.
Not saying he's telling the truth… But that does actually happen. And if you had sent your login details, they'd also end up logging with your account and sending a link to everyone in your list.
There's a chance he just got caught as you almost were. Not that it matters much.

vazel said:
Fuuuck I almost fell for this fishing link. I thought he was making fun of one of the games I have an embarrassing amount of playtime in. But just as I was about to login I notice the .9hz in the link and thought it was odd. And here I always thought I was smart enough to not fall for this shit. Close call.

30moguu.png

Edit: I kept hassling the guy and he says he doesn't know what I'm talking about. That his Steam went haywire and he had to restart his PC and someone else must've gotten into his Steam. I don't think he's telling the truth so he's going off my friends list.

Shit like this is why I only have my actual friends and GAFfers on my friends list.

Finally got a new lap top, and just added Steam. I don't have any games yet, just trying demo's. But there is no way to throttle the downloads, are there? I think my roommates getting pissed...

Anyone willing to do a little trade? I have an extra copy of Dawn of War II that I would like to exchange for Beat Hazard, which costs $10. This is $5 less than what the current sales price for DoW II is.

Edit: Quote this if interested. Will then give community link

crimsonheadGCN said:
Anyone willing to do a little trade? I have an extra copy of Dawn of War II that I would like to exchange for Beat Hazard, which costs $10. This is $5 less than what the current sales price for DoW II is.

Edit: Quote this if interested. Will then give community link
Sure, I'll take you up on that offer.

Oreoleo

TouchMyBox said:
Shit like this is why I only have my actual friends and GAFfers on my friends list.

That doesn't really change anything. I forget who it was but a few weeks ago I got a Steam message from a GAFer very similar to the one above. It was obvious his account got hacked/taken over. Just cause you "know" everyone on your FL doesn't mean you're safe from phishing attempts.

Hell even my account got taken over while I was on vacation last year for about a week. I'm sure some of my Steam friends got annoying messages like that too.

Truespeed

RunWhiteBoyRun said:
Finally got a new lap top, and just added Steam. I don't have any games yet, just trying demo's. But there is no way to throttle the downloads, are there? I think my roommates getting pissed...

This has been a constant issue with their Steam client - the inability to throttle bandwidth. About the only way you can do it is to select a server with a slow to medium download rate. There are also bandwidth throttling apps you can download to control it also. As for why they chose not to implement a simple feature to allow you to specify the bandwidth allocation is bewildering.

Oreoleo

Truespeed said:
This has been a constant issue with their Steam client - the inability to throttle bandwidth. About the only way you can do it is to select a server with a slow to medium download rate. There are also bandwidth throttling apps you can download to control it also. As for why they chose not to implement a simple feature to allow you to specify the bandwidth allocation is bewildering.

Imagine a scenario:

*user selects 500KB/s as download speed limit*
*only gets 200KB/s*
*goes to Steam forum/Steam support ticket "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU STEAM FUCK!"*

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Affeinvasion said:
Help GAF: Star Wars Empire at War or Warhammer 40K II?
It really depends on how big of a Star War fan you are, and how much you like base building, which DoW2 lacks. But my pick is Dawn of War II.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
wmat said:
I found DoW2 boring, really. Would choose CoH over it any day of the week.
Yeah, I almost fell asleep in my chair as I sawed up waves of bloodthirsty orcs with a chainsword. Wait, what?

I can actually understand why some RTS fans might not dig the single player. It's almost a dungeon crawler. But multi is much more traditional. It's pretty much Starcraft crossed with Myth.

PatzCU

Does DoW2 have an active online community? I am in love with the 40k universe and $20 seems like an absolute steal. Just thinking with Starcraft 2 coming in a month, maybe it would be wise just to hold off.

Damn you, Steam! What do I do!?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PatzCU said:
Does DoW2 have an active online community? I am in love with the 40k universe and $20 seems like an absolute steal. Just thinking with Starcraft 2 coming in a month, maybe it would be wise just to hold off.

Yeah, the servers get about 4k a day.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I don't doubt that Starcraft 2 is going to be a great RTS game, but it's no replacement for DoW2. Just buy both.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SapientWolf said:
Yeah, I almost fell asleep in my chair as I sawed up waves of bloodthirsty orcs with a chainsword. Wait, what?

I can actually understand why some RTS fans might not dig the single player. It's almost a dungeon crawler. But multi is much more traditional. It's pretty much Starcraft crossed with Myth.
Well, the animations aren't boring, I guess.

And I was only talking about SP, yeah.

Don't want to dissuade anyone from getting DoW2; lots of people enjoyed it, it's gotten good ratings and all. I just expected more strategy, less tactics from the SP. Turns out it was the other way around.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I didn't find any strategy or tactics in the SP. Just click to next area of cover, wait, click to next area of cover.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
EviLore said:
I didn't find any strategy or tactics in the SP. Just click to next area of cover, wait, click to next area of cover.
Well, you could get behind troops with the booster thing and stuff. Or lure guys into an ambush. Or do some crazy sniper magic.

Mrbob

Ugh my GTA Episodes from Liberty City decided to lock up on my while it was saving unbelievable. I lost like 3 hours in the game now back to my last manual save I made in Ballad of Gay Tony. I think I'm done with this game for awhile now, piece of garbage. Game could have locked up before or after the auto save but had to do it during to completely mess up my progress. This was after I had spent like 4 times finishing a mission too. Nice job, Rockstar.

ArjanN

PatzCU said:
Does DoW2 have an active online community?

Yes.

PatzCU said:
I am in love with the 40k universe and $20 seems like an absolute steal.

If you like the 40K universe at all this purchase is really a no-brainer.

Just thinking with Starcraft 2 coming in a month, maybe it would be wise just to hold off.

No, it wouldn't. But Starcraft 2 will be a great game too.

Buy this game AND the superior expansion right now.

PatzCU

Annnnnd bought DoW2, thanks for the push guys :D

I'll give it a whirl right after I finish STALKER which I picked up for $5. I love Steam.

wmat said:
Sorry, but to me, DoW2 was a mindless clickfest until I turned it off. Not my type of game.
I haven't even played the main multiplayer mode and I love it. I just played four straight hours of their DotA mode.

ArjanN said:
Just play Eldar and turn down the gamma on your monitor.
:lol

ArjanN

Schmattakopf said:
I haven't even played the main multiplayer mode and I love it. I just played four straight hours of their DotA mode.

Yeah, The Last Stand mode is great too. And feels totally different from both the single-player and the regular multiplayer.

The single player campaign in the DoW2 is pretty good, but the Chaos Rising campaign was a big improvement.

Nickiepoo

DoW2's campaign is ONLY worth playing in coop with a buddy on the highest difficulty. Suddenly using tactics, abilities, picking the right squads and the right equipment and actually supporting each other (and coordinating the skills you take when leveling) becomes quite important.

Given that you have two squads rather than 4, actually being able to micro to manage the brutal badguys becomes a lot more manageable and fun too.

I love the game, but I won't touch it as an SP game in any of its modes.

Dreavus

Schmattakopf said:

I love Last Stand, although I really think they could use ONE more map. Just one. To shake things up a bit.

That reminds me. I got teamed up with a glitcher today while trying out the Sorcerer since I just got CR. He was Mekboy, and somehow got himself "outside the map" around wave 3-4, so that enemies couldn't shoot him but he could shoot back. I was trying to ask how and why he's doing such a thing, but neither of my team-mates said anything. After a wave or two of that I just up and left. I'd like to actually EARN my ticket to wave 20; not have some glitch-man do it for me. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom