• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

thy_

If you got problems logging into steam, try to delete/rename the ClientRegistry.blob file in your steam folder.

On startup Steam creates a new one, which often fixes the problem.

thy_ said:
If you got problems logging into steam, try to delete/rename the ClientRegistry.blob file in your steam folder.

That worked. Thanks.
+1

Mr_Zombie

MNC said:
Also, you can manually backup your steamapps folder. It's in steam/steamapps :V

Thanks, didn't know that. I thought that Steam does something with those files during backup process, that it sign them somehow or something :p.

Kerrinck

Steam crashed as soon as I bought the Splinter Cell pack and refused to log in afterwards.
Started running fine again this morning.

Orgun

thy_ said:
Well you could try to change the Download Region in Settings.

Didn't work :( still getting the servers are busy try later message. Oh well the game was probably terrible anyways hehe

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Chaos Rising probably has the best "morality" system ever. You start off in "good", which has one square. And then there are 6 squares of slowly progressing corruption. So you really have to fight hard, and without any of the huge bonuses of Chaos, ignoring many other beautiful temptations to remain a loyal Space Marine. That dataslate you found that could expose the traitor, and save your chapter? Well, it's daemonic, and corrupted by the Warp. Reading that would open your mind to Chaos!

If anyone wants to do Last Stand at some point, my GFWL ID is Lyphen.

kswiston

Does anyone want just the base Dawn of War II game? I want the expansion, but would be willing to split a gold pack with someone (I'll buy the pack, and gift you the extra DOW2) to get us both a better discount.

Willing to do this for $7.50 via Paypal. That way you get the base game at 75% off and I get a slightly better deal on Chaos Rising.

EDIT: EXTRA COPY TAKEN

Spotless Mind said:
Hell yes at the HL2 updates. I've been hankering for a replay of it and ep 1. This gives me greater incentive. :)

1) Major props for having Omar in your avatar. I don't know you, but the fact that you have him in, makes me think that you are an awesome person. Everybody should see The Wire!

2) I completely agree. Achievements are great. I can't wait til they come for CSS!

Q8D3vil

damn, i want to play to play hitman blood money i bought from the last sale but the game keep randomly crashing and i have to restart the windows to fix the sound. :/

Twig

Banned
So while everyone else is busy playing the recently updated HL2, I decided to go abck and start with HL1 again.

Unfortunately, it's giving me motion sickness. Every FPS gives me motion sickness these days, except TF2. ): Also, I don't think Crysis gave me any trouble.

I used to be able to play HL1 for hours straight (back when I actually played games for that long all the time) without any problems whatsoever. Now it hits me after ten minutes sometimes.

I have nothing important to say here. It's just sad. ):

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Twig said:
So while everyone else is busy playing the recently updated HL2, I decided to go abck and start with HL1 again.

Unfortunately, it's giving me motion sickness. Every FPS gives me motion sickness these days, except TF2. ): Also, I don't think Crysis gave me any trouble.

I used to be able to play HL1 for hours straight (back when I actually played games for that long all the time) without any problems whatsoever. Now it hits me after ten minutes sometimes.

Aren't there meds for that?

kamspy

Yeah crank that FOV up to 90 and you'll be good. Borderlands does that crap to me and there's no fix aside from a crappy keybrind that breaks every time you zoom.

Javaman

Twig said:

Try to picture the game as an image on a flat screen and not let yourself get mentally sucked into the 3d zone. Are you using a larger screen than you used to use?

Twig

Banned
First thing I did was set the FOV to 90. U:

I can't remember the last time I played the real HL1, actually. Pretty sure I played HL:S before this, and it was on this monitor. Orrr it could've been the monitor I had right before this one, which was only an inch or two smaller, I think.

RefigeKru

Banned
thy_ said:

At first it wouldn't let me log in. After deleting it (it's back now) the steam updater comes up and says that it can't connect to the steam network.

And I want to play counterstrike :( It's my pre-drink pre-game.

Been a while since a sale that I liked showed up. But when they do they are always great. Pretty happy to snag Chaos Rising for $15 since I got DoW for $8 during that THQ store sale.

Edit: Didn't expect the 1MB download though hah.

NIN90

Lostconfused said:
Been a while since a sale that I liked showed up. But when they do they are always great. Pretty happy to snag Chaos Rising for $15 since I got DoW for $8 during that THQ store sale.

Edit: Didn't expect the 1MB download though hah.

You already downloaded moste files with a patch for vanilla DoW2.

I now have vanilla Dawn of War II, so can I play with people who have Chaos Rising (and I just won't be able to use the new faction, but they will)?

Dynoro

Schmattakopf said:
I now have vanilla Dawn of War II, so can I play with people who have Chaos Rising (and I just won't be able to use the new faction, but they will)?
As far as I know; you can play against people with Chaos Rising as long as you are fully patched up on vanilla. They can choose Chaos but you can't.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Schmattakopf said:
Yes, you can still play with and against CR owners. You also get access to the non-Chaos units which were added to each race with the expansion.

Dynoro said:
As far as I know; you can play against people with Chaos Rising as long as you are fully patched up on vanilla. They can choose Chaos but you can't.
K.Jack said:
Yes, you can still play with and against CR owners. You also get access to the non-Chaos units which were added to each race with the expansion.
Thanks, I figured it was like Dawn of War I but I wasn't sure.

VALIS

Anyone else get their account disabled in the past? Mine was disabled today for reasons unknown. Yesterday I bought some games and the first card was declined, but the next one was fine and the purchase went through. I also log in from my home in NJ and my girlfriend's in Boston, maybe the large distance raised a flag.

Whatever the reason, this better get fixed soon and it really worries me about Steam/DD going forward. I have spent thousands of dollars on Steam over the last few years and right now I have access to none of these games I "purchased" (cough!), even though I haven't done anything wrong.

Let's lock good, long-standing customers out of their thousands of dollars worth of games based on automatic triggers rather than investigating ourselves! Awesome system!! :(

VALIS said:
Anyone else get their account disabled in the past? Mine was disabled today for reasons unknown. Yesterday I bought some games and the first card was declined, but the next one was fine and the purchase went through. I also log in from my home in NJ and my girlfriend's in Boston, maybe the large distance raised a flag.

Whatever the reason, this better get fixed soon and it really worries me about Steam/DD going forward. I have spent thousands of dollars on Steam over the last few years and right now I have access to none of these games I "purchased" (cough!), even though I haven't done anything wrong.

Let's lock good, long-standing customers out of their thousands of dollars worth of games based on automatic triggers rather than investigating ourselves! Awesome system!! :(

Steam system automatically disables the ability to buy stuff in your account if for some reason your payment is denied and their logs shows that this particular attempt came from a different IP range you usually log on. You can still log and play games but cannot buy anything. You can sort it out opening a ticket in their system, but it usually takes 2 days to solve everything.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
VALIS said:

Well that blows pretty bad, try contacting Steam support so that they can sort this thing out. The thought of me losing access to all my games is the one thing i worry when using steam, that would suck so bad.

VALIS said:

Create a support ticket if you haven't already. Secondly, it may also have nothing to do with anything you have done but rather somebody trying to hack into your account at which point Valve will disable it to make sure the person doesn't cause a VAC ban by using your account. If it is due to you logging on from locations that are far apart in a short time then again its actually for your benefit even though it doesn't seem like it now.

Valve disables accounts for the following reasons: 1) You used a stolen credit card; 2) Someone hacked into your account; 3) Someone gifted you a game while using a stolen credit card; and 4) You ordered a charge back on your credit card.

Valve doesn't work on weekends however folks whose accounts are disabled have priority in regards to support tickets created. Most folks have their account up and running in less than 1 or 2 business days. I realize its very frustrating for you right now but realize your account will be unlocked and its actually in your best interest.

VALIS said:

Steam has lots of hair-trigger automatic lock-outs. I've been locked out like 3 times. If you ever get locked out when you need to buy something, just post a message in this thread and you can often paypal another GAFfer (like me) that will buy it for you. Someone picked up TF2 for me when it was on sale for $2.50 and I was locked out, so I've returned to the favor many times over.

graywolf323

Chiaroscuro said:
Steam system automatically disables the ability to buy stuff in your account if for some reason your payment is denied and their logs shows that this particular attempt came from a different IP range you usually log on. You can still log and play games but cannot buy anything. You can sort it out opening a ticket in their system, but it usually takes 2 days to solve everything.

err does that mean I should try using a proxy to buy the UK version of Alpha Protocol since it's cheaper there? :-S

graywolf323 said:
err does that mean I should try using a proxy to buy the UK version of Alpha Protocol since it's cheaper there? :-S

No. Don't use a proxy with Steam. It is one of the reasons they can disable your account. Some may have success with it but if you value your account, don't do it. Just try and find someone to gift it to you.

VALIS

Thanks for the responses everyone. I put in a support ticket before making my post here.

speculawyer said:
Steam has lots of hair-trigger automatic lock-outs. I've been locked out like 3 times. If you ever get locked out when you need to buy something, just post a message in this thread and you can often paypal another GAFfer (like me) that will buy it for you. Someone picked up TF2 for me when it was on sale for $2.50 and I was locked out, so I've returned to the favor many times over.

So these things are pretty easy to resolve? I assume it has something to do with the declined credit card rather than the NJ/Boston thing since I've been doing that for 10 months. Any tips in dealing with them? I figure I'm not going to see much action on this matter this weekend being a holiday and all. :p

VALIS said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I put in a support ticket before making my post here.

So these things are pretty easy to resolve? I assume it has something to do with the declined credit card rather than the NJ/Boston thing since I've been doing that for 10 months. Any tips in dealing with them? I figure I'm not going to see much action on this matter this weekend being a holiday and all. :p

They will just ask you to confirm information and may ask you to forward a receipt from a purchase you made. If you have any game that you registered via Steam and still have the box with the key you used, they will ask for a photo of it. Otherwise a receipt should suffice.

kswiston

LovingSteam said:
Any UK folks here willing to gift me Alpha Protocol? I will Paypal you the cash.

EDIT: Never mind! though I will leave the message for others.

If you don't find any takers, the game is the same price on the UK D2D store. I didn't see any region restrictions on it either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Like tower defense games? Enjoy a good deal?

Pay $7.50 or more for lunch on any day of the week?

Make some grilled cheese and join me for a Sol Survivor 4-pack. PM if interested.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Create a support ticket if you haven't already. Secondly, it may also have nothing to do with anything you have done but rather somebody trying to hack into your account at which point Valve will disable it to make sure the person doesn't cause a VAC ban by using your account. If it is due to you logging on from locations that are far apart in a short time then again its actually for your benefit even though it doesn't seem like it now.

Valve disables accounts for the following reasons: 1) You used a stolen credit card; 2) Someone hacked into your account; 3) Someone gifted you a game while using a stolen credit card; and 4) You ordered a charge back on your credit card.

Valve doesn't work on weekends however folks whose accounts are disabled have priority in regards to support tickets created. Most folks have their account up and running in less than 1 or 2 business days. I realize its very frustrating for you right now but realize your account will be unlocked and its actually in your best interest.
I believe speculawyer's account disables were for none of those reasons, and yes, knowing that they could disable your account permanently so that you can never play any of your hundreds/thousands of dollars worth of games even in singleplayer is probably the scariest part of Steam (along with VAC bans for games that support that). If a programming error could do it and Valve is involved, it's extra scary given the amount of bugs they seem to introduce with new features and game updates. :lol

I have never used a proxy with Steam (US prices are fine of course) but I didn't know about that proxy thing. It's presumably worth noting for people that that would be a permanent ban and you can never get it back, if that's correct? (I also notice that it's not on your list of reasons that your account can be disabled)

panda21

they disabled my account once because my card company is ridiculously enthusiastic about disabling my card whenever I buy stuff on the internet, nothing to do with valve and no actual fraud/hacking.

i could still play games though, they just wouldnt let me buy anything, even on a different card, even after i sorted it out with the bank. i had to wait for a support ticket to get them to enable my account again.

Mudkips

Banned
Any ETA (besides "lol Valve time") on TF2 for Mac?

I convinced a friend to buy the Orange Box today. He just wanted HL 2: Ep 2, but at $20.99, that basically made TF2 cost just $13. (He already had HL 2, and Ep 1, as well as the free copy of Portal).

Anyone have any idea how it'll run on a Mac mini? I'm assuming decent, but not great, for 24-player servers, and terribly for 32-player servers.

VALIS

panda21 said:
they disabled my account once because my card company is ridiculously enthusiastic about disabling my card whenever I buy stuff on the internet, nothing to do with valve and no actual fraud/hacking.

That's what I think happened to me, too.

panda21 said:
i could still play games though, they just wouldnt let me buy anything, even on a different card, even after i sorted it out with the bank. i had to wait for a support ticket to get them to enable my account again.

Could you still play them through the Steam client? I never install with a desktop shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom