• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

Prophet Steve said:
No, I indeed remember something liked that. And for some games there were some ban waves for this right?

Not "ban waves." The game will be de-listed from your account and you'll be out whatever you paid for the key.

Gexecuter said:
In some countries with high piracy Valve and other companies sell their games with heavy discounts in order to be able to make some money, sites like g2play get retail games from those regions somehow and sell only the keys which can be activated on Steam. At least that's how i remember it being done, if i am wrong please someone correct me :lol
No g2play buy them from hackers and then when you register it on your account you will be framed as a hacker and Valve will remove all your games even though you didn't do it because g2play did and then you'll go to prison.

Valve fighting the good fight.

panda21

Visualante said:
No g2play buy them from hackers and then when you register it on your account you will be framed as a hacker and Valve will remove all your games even though you didn't do it because g2play did and then you'll go to prison.

Valve fighting the good fight.

if they are just stealing peoples game keys from hijacked accounts and re-selling them, surely none of them would work when you tried to put it into steam to add the game, since the key has already been used? surely valve must check that?

in which case if they don't work why would people even bother 'hacking' them to sell, and just make them up completely?

Stallion Free said:
What if they released Shenmue 1 + 2 with widescreen support + the option to chose between the original VO and the English dub. Believe.

Please don't hate me, I've never played the Shenmue Series. I've heard tons of praise. I'd buy the package if they ever did that. Says $20.00?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
panda21 said:
if they are just stealing peoples game keys from hijacked accounts and re-selling them, surely none of them would work when you tried to put it into steam to add the game, since the key has already been used? surely valve must check that?

in which case if they don't work why would people even bother 'hacking' them to sell, and just make them up completely?
As far as I am aware they are resellers. They buy the game in their home country, gut it and then sell the key online. As keys are supposed to be non-transferable, then the re-selling is not legitimate and so if Valve know that you bought just the key from a reseller they will void that transfer.

kamspy

Hell with g2play, Steam thinks the THQ online store is a shady retailer. :lol

I bought Saints Row 2 from them and it was deactivated from my account.

Roofy

kamspy said:
Hell with g2play, Steam thinks the THQ online store is a shady retailer. :lol

I bought Saints Row 2 from them and it was deactivated from my account.

Aahhhh! same here

i want my saints row 2 back on that list of games i will probably never get to

Asparagus

Those Sega Classics games aren't half bad, I gave Vectorman a try and it had just about every option I care about including scanlines. Hopefully they add more games soon because there isn't much else on there atm that I'm interested in.

ArjanN

Stallion Free said:
What if they released Shenmue 1 + 2 with widescreen support + the option to chose between the original VO and the English dub. Believe.

Would buy it at a high price.

The problem is that would require them to put in a lot more effort than with some genesis roms.

I might get Comix Zone, I always liked that.

Furoba

Just tried Half Life 2 on my Macbook Pro i7, runs a bit better than on Win7 (bootcamp). No need to shut off other applications too. :D

Minsc said:
The only pain is I think you have to run it through a virtual machine, since it all-but-requires Windows 95/98 to launch. The plus is that that causes it to run in a window so you can leave it to the background, and there's no time limit for turns, so it's a great relaxed pace.

Actually, I'm running it in Windows 7 32-bit here at the office and it seems to work. I don't even have any compatibility settings enabled. I'm pretty sure I had to apply some kind of unofficial patch, though. I can't remember the details because the game is pretty portable and I've just been zipping it up to move it from PC to PC over the years. No re-install required. If you mute your speakers its the perfect game for work.

kamspy

I never got it back. Didn't even file a support ticket. It was a UK key, I live in the US. Already knew what the reply would be.

Note to self: don't buy steamworks games on vacation. Stick to the weak stuff like Starforce and TAGES.

kamspy said:
I never got it back. Didn't even file a support ticket. It was a UK key, I live in the US. Already knew what the reply would be.

Note to self: don't buy steamworks games on vacation. Stick to the weak stuff like Starforce and TAGES.

Did you tell them that you were on vacation and purchased it from that regions site?

kamspy

LovingSteam said:
Did you tell them that you were on vacation and purchased it from that regions site?

I didn't mean to imply I was in the UK when I bought the game. But if I had been, would it really matter?

kamspy said:
I didn't mean to imply I was in the UK when I bought the game. But if I had been, would it really matter?

Yes. It would have. If you're on vacation Valve has allowed their customers to purchase from that region so they don't miss sales or what have you. Realize that one of the benefits of Steam is being able to access your account anywhere in the world and that includes being able to purchase games anywhere you are (obviously being limited by that region's store). Nevertheless if you were in the UK and purchased a game there and came back to play the game Valve wouldn't have removed it.

Salacious Crumb

I bought DoW2 the same way I bought Saints row 2, on the UK THQ store, but I still have DoW2 on my list... I'll try opening a support ticket saying that it was bought off the UK THQ store and not some seedy site, and that it was a gift from a relative. maybe it will work?

graywolf323 said:
that's pretty weak Sega, you'd think they'd at least discount the pack somewhat
lolz ect.

£23.89 for those titles @ £1.99 each, to compare (yes I know consoles) the 360 and ps3 40+ collection is around £15 now, older sonic collections for last gen consoles are £10 and less if bought on ebay.

It will be interesting to see just how well these do on the pc, but that is such a steep price, at least you could weed out ones you dislike and just buy your favourates.

Just noticed only sonic game there currently is 3D blast, the MEGADRIVE version and not the PC port :lol sega u mad.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diablohead said:
lolz ect.

£23.89 for those titles @ £1.99 each, to compare (yes I know consoles) the 360 and ps3 40+ collection is around £15 now, older sonic collections for last gen consoles are £10 and less if bought on ebay.

It will be interesting to see just how well these do on the pc, but that is such a steep price, at least you could weed out ones you dislike and just buy your favourates.

Just noticed only sonic game there currently is 3D blast, the MEGADRIVE version and not the PC port :lol sega u mad.

They are probably just lazy.

crimsonheadGCN said:
There was a price drop on Assassin's Creed II in the US Steam Store. The new price is $39.99 for normal edition and $44.99 for the digital deluxe version.
Meanwhile you can pick up AC2 for $24.99 on the 360 from Amazon.

No thanks, Ubi.

Get rid of the DRM and cut the price and I'll consider it.

Or cut the price waaay down and I'll pick it up even with the crappy DRM. But the price does have to be very low. And offering AC1 won't help since I've already got it.

Hinomura said:
Checking Sega as developer I found Comix Zone, Golden Axe, Shinobi 3, Gain Ground, Sonic 3d Blast, too.

Did I hear a shout out for Golden Axe?
bell.jpg

Javaman

Salacious Crumb said:
I bought DoW2 the same way I bought Saints row 2, on the UK THQ store, but I still have DoW2 on my list... I'll try opening a support ticket saying that it was bought off the UK THQ store and not some seedy site, and that it was a gift from a relative. maybe it will work?

I bought Saints Row 2 from one of Steam's direct competitors a while back (D2D?) who had it on sale. It's still on my list.

Slavik81

The SEGA bundle is the same price as buying all the games individually? Why would anyone buy the bundle, then? You can just buy whatever games from the bundle you want and save a bunch of money. Or just buy them as you get around to playing them.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Neocore complete pack is the midweek madness. 66% off. Never heard of those games, but the metacritic ratings is pretty good.

Polk said:
xbla? or they're making mac version as well.

In order to play with a XBLA title the game should use the Live framework (Games for Windows Live) and I do not see the game using it. So it is either a mistake or the game is coming to Mac too.

Minsc

Gold Member
xyla said:
Looks interesting, but they will without a doubt release deck after deck after deck as dlc and if you want to play you have to keep up with them just like back in school :p

I should remind people that if you can find the 1997 Microprose version of MTG, it comes with tons if not 1000s of cards (including all the great classics like Black Lotus, Royal Assassin, Gaia's Leige and so on) a deck editor, and is essentially the best CCG on the PC by a long shot. It also has an actual challenging story mode, with decent AI, and all the card art in nice high-res graphics.

Not to downplay this release, I'm still going to be buying it, and love the more modern look and graphics, but if you're left wanting more after this game, and don't want to pay to buy cards like with MTGO, there's a great game out to fill your needs!

Des0lar said:
Neocore complete pack is the midweek madness. 66% off. Never heard of those games, but the metacritic ratings is pretty good.

Just saw this too. The screens looks pretty good and I always enjoy a Crusades-era setting. Can anyone else recommend the King Arthur games?

*I'll check the quick looK!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shattered Horizon is going to have another free weekend this week. Game will be discounted to 10$, and there was a recent (massive) performance patch released two weeks ago. Give it a shot, fellas.

Via Shacknews.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I hear you. Even though The Witcher at 19.99 (price dropped a couple months ago) is still a great price, I can't help but think "but it was 14.99 during the sale! 5$ savings!".

Max said:
How much was this on XBLA? I remember playing the demo and being interested in getting into it. I might have to bite now that it's coming to Steam

Without deck building, there just isn't enough meat to it for it to be interesting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Max said:
How much was this on XBLA? I remember playing the demo and being interested in getting into it. I might have to bite now that it's coming to Steam
$10 I believe.
Without deck building, there just isn't enough meat to it for it to be interesting.
Disagree. The challenge mode is a fun playthrough, it comes with a nice set of decks, some more powerful than others, and it has the puzzles which are also pretty fun. Although as I said above if you're looking for MTGO or anything more than a nice casual ramp you will be severely pissed.

Dizzy-4U

New steam user here. I bought DOWII without having a decent PC to play it and now I understand the sickness of steam discounts =/

Anyways, how come NOLF is not on steam? I was going to buy it so blindly but didn't show up on the list :(

Dynoro

Dizzy-4U said:
New steam user here. I bought DOWII without having a decent PC to play it and now I understand the sickness of steam discounts =/

Anyways, how come NOLF is not on steam? I was going to buy it so blindly but didn't show up on the list :(
I think there are licensing issues stopping a NOLF release atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom