• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
EviLore said:
F.E.A.R. remains the gold standard in that regard.

Man, I don't know how FEAR does it but it has the weightiest feeling guns still out of any FPS I've played.

I think it's in the wicked recoil and the way the guns animate like they have weight with the cursor movements but it has some heftiest feeling guns and the best feeling firefights ever.

I even completely forgot it has no iron sights at all. Such a good game. I just grabbed it off steam for no good reason because I have the gold edition right here next to me anyway.

AstroLad said:
Disagree. The challenge mode is a fun playthrough, it comes with a nice set of decks, some more powerful than others, and it has the puzzles which are also pretty fun. Although as I said above if you're looking for MTGO or anything more than a nice casual ramp you will be severely pissed.

Well, I admit the puzzles were quite interesting. And there is certainly skill involved in playing a deck well. But there is just so much fun in the creativity or min/maxing of deckbuilding. To play Magic without that is just missing out on SO MUCH cool stuff it makes me sad.

Oreoleo

Twig said:
I... don't know if I could explain why, but I think the guns just felt better in HL1. Overall. But also especially the pistol. Hrmmmm.

The pistol being a POS is the very first thing I noticed when I picked it up in HL2 for the first time. It's pretty quiet compared to guns in other games, in addition to the lack of feedback (visual or audio) from hitting a combine soldier with it makes it feel mostly worthless. I feel similarly about the SMG's between HL1&2. HL1's MP5 was just so much more visceral and fun to use compared to the HL2 SMG; though HL2's isn't exactly lacking in the same way the pistol is. (Side theory: maybe the grunts in HL1 are just plain more satisfying to fight due to the way they react to being shot, and the way they take cover and flank (sorta))

So when someone says the 'gunplay' in HL2 sucks compared to HL1 I would tend to agree. But it doesn't really matter in the end because the gravity gun makes up for it.

fallout

Orellio said:
The pistol being a POS is the very first thing I noticed when I picked it up in HL2 for the first time. It's pretty quiet compared to guns in other games, in addition to the lack of feedback (visual or audio) from hitting a combine soldier with it makes it feel mostly worthless.
While I agree, I feel very effective headshotting combine soldiers with the pistol.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, I would say the only gun that feels right is the pulse rifle. It has a kick when you shoot and it SOUNDS like it has a kick and it works well.

I also like the crossbow, but that's not a gun so does it count

Gravity gun is definitely the best part of the everything, though. U:

Oreoleo

fallout said:
While I agree, I feel very effective headshotting combine soldiers with the pistol.

That's something I've come to appreciate only recently now that I'm doing a hard mode, no gui/no crosshairs run. It isn't worth spraying the combine with SMG bullets when I can take them out with 2 or 3 shots from the pistol. But it FEELS like I'm shooting rubber bands at them :(

Twig said:
Yeah, I would say the only gun that feels right is the pulse rifle. It has a kick when you shoot and it SOUNDS like it has a kick and it works well.

Agreed. I couldn't remember what it was called so I left it out of my post, but yeah, it's the only gun that really feels like a gun when you're firing it :(

I'm the exact opposite of you guys. I love almost everything about the pistol. Sound, kickback, feedback. I would only make it more accurate.

The pulse rifle licks arse. It's shit, can't believe you guys like it.

Oreoleo

wormstrangler said:
I'm the exact opposite of you guys. I love almost everything about the pistol. Sound, kickback, feedback. I would only make it more accurate.

The pulse rifle licks arse. It's shit, can't believe you guys like it.

Are you taking the mickey out of us :|

Orellio said:
Are you taking the mickey out of us :|

Nope, I really do love that little pistol - it's one of gamings better pistols. And I do dislike the pulse rifle. I just hate how it looks and it's ALWAYS low on ammunition, especially the secondary fire.

Piggus

wormstrangler said:
Nope, I really do love that little pistol - it's one of gamings better pistols. And I do dislike the pulse rifle. I just hate how it looks and it's ALWAYS low on ammunition, especially the secondary fire.

I like the pistol too. I HATE the SMG though.

Buuut my favorite by far is the shotgun. I remember first seeing it in the E3 2003 Coast demo and couldn't get over how awesome it was. Firing two shells at once doesn't really make any sense with it but other than that it's awesome.

IceMarker

Shattered Horizon Free Weekend! This time with more guns!

I've owned the game since the holiday sale though, so I welcome any new players!

thy_

W1SSY said:
Just waiting for the Mac games and hopefully something I am interested in. I am still kicking myself for not getting Torchlight when it was on sale.

I have a copy of Torchlight left.
And I do want GTA: Vice City (isn't on the German store), which is $9.99 in the US store.

If you are able to buy Vice City and are interested in a deal, send me a pm. :)

Piggus said:
I like the pistol too. I HATE the SMG though.

Buuut my favorite by far is the shotgun. I remember first seeing it in the E3 2003 Coast demo and couldn't get over how awesome it was. Firing two shells at once doesn't really make any sense with it but other than that it's awesome.

You are all wrong. It's all about the crossbow. It was the same in Halflife 1.

ArjanN

PuppetSlave said:
You are all wrong. It's all about the crossbow. It was the same in Halflife 1.

The crossbow is really effective and sticking people to walls is neat, I'll give it that, but I'd prefer it if had real ironsights, and not just that odd zoom-in.

I like the pistol but I think it could do a bit more damage, or at least give more feedback by having the enemies react to where you shoot them more.

As it is you can shoot someone who's running toward you like 5 times in the leg and they'll still keep running right up to you which just comes across as silly at times.

Schmattakopf said:
I asked the same thing and no one answered, so I looked it up a bit ... I haven't found much of anything positive, be it reviews or player comments. The most positive review I could find; the rest were not so nice.

Still looking for some opinions on King Arthur.

I own it and I must say that it is a fucking awesome (but fucking hard) game. Theres a good amount of strategy element to it, and the story sequences are well written and enjoyable. I can't comment on the MP really since my douchebag friends don't own it, but I love the SP.

Javaman

Twig said:
I can only conclude that the people who like the HL2 pistol play paintball for a living. U:

Isn't the smg weaker than the pistol? I could have sworn it takes more shots to kill the danglers with the former.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Isn't the smg weaker than the pistol? I could have sworn it takes more shots to kill the danglers with the former.
I'm not really sure. Sometimes it seems like it's weaker, but other times it takes just as many shots as the pistol. I know it's far more inaccurate, so I'm sure that also contributes.

I know in HL1 they are identical except for clip size and firing speed, so! They even use the same ammo pile.

Echoes

Could somebody please educate me about Homeworld?

Sins of a Solar Empire is probably my favorite RTS, and I just love EVERYTHING about space. Should I play Homeworld then Homeworld 2? How does it play, etc?

epmode

Echoes said:
...do you know something I don't? Homeworld isn't going up on Steam, is it? I'd buy it SO HARD.

(still dying to play Cataclysm, BTW)

Anyway, Sins looks 3D but it's played on a 2D plane. Homeworld is one of the very few strategy games with fully 3D combat. It's much more combat-oriented than Sins but I love both to death.

Echoes

epmode said:
...do you know something I don't? Homeworld isn't going up on Steam, is it? I'd buy it SO HARD.

(still dying to play Cataclysm, BTW)
I didn't want to make a thread, and this seems to be the best place to ask. Sorry :(

Echoes said:

Sins of a Solar Empire is probably my favorite RTS, and I just love EVERYTHING about space. Should I play Homeworld then Homeworld 2? How does it play, etc?

Homeworld is an absolutely amazing 3D RTS from the same company (Relic) which has produced Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes as of late.

The combat is in full 3D, which is awesome. But what I really enjoyed at the time was the story, dialogue, and the space-y music soundtrack throughout the game. One of the best sci-fi experiences you'll find in PC gaming. Also, a kick-ass manual.

I didn't even know SupCom 2 existed. Any opinions from people who liked the original?

I looked it up and it seems like they made a lot of changes in 2.

nexen

Volcynika said:
SupCom 2 50% off this weekend. $10.99
Seems unlikely this close to release but if so - I will buy it without hesitation.

Schmattakopf said:
I didn't even know SupCom 2 existed. Any opinions from people who liked the original?

I looked it up and it seems like they made a lot of changes in 2.

It has a demo on Steam. I liked the demo way better than SupCom1.

please note: I am not a hardcore RTS guy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't SupCom2 released at $49.99 in March? Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom