• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Alright. I played the SupCom2 demo.

It was....alright.

Is the full game better in terms of campaign variety? The environments seemed kinda bland and the lack of key binding....ah fuck.

StarCraft 2 has truly spoiled me.

Can GAF recommend a RTS to quench my thirst until July that's very similar to Starcraft?

I'm talking Dante's Inferno -> God of War similar.

San Andreas is terrible compared to Saints Row 1 and 2, but if you've already played those then it's worth a playthrough to show Rockstar at the top of their game. It's unfair bullshit in a lot of ways and you'll probably get frustrated and quit before the end (especially if you get hung up on some of the side missions) but you may as well play it so you can be justified when bitching about what a piece of shit GTA4 was.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
BobJustBob said:
San Andreas is terrible compared to Saints Row 1 and 2, but if you've already played those then it's worth a playthrough to show Rockstar at the top of their game. It's unfair bullshit in a lot of ways and you'll probably get frustrated and quit before the end (especially if you get hung up on some of the side missions) but you may as well play it so you can be justified when bitching about what a piece of shit GTA4 was.
This GTA 4 love / hate thing is going to end up in a holy war, I tell ya.

For the record: GTA 4 rocks. SR1 / 2 don't compare even remotely.

legend166

It's also actually pretty easy to mod the Steam version too. I don't know if I'd get in trouble for giving you a link to what is essentially a crack though.

ArjanN

kamspy said:
Alright. I played the SupCom2 demo.

It was....alright.

Is the full game better in terms of campaign variety? The environments seemed kinda bland and the lack of key binding....ah fuck.

StarCraft 2 has truly spoiled me.

Can GAF recommend a RTS to quench my thirst until July that's very similar to Starcraft?

Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising expansion.

Kinda/sorta like Starcraft but with almost no base-building.
The universe is almost the same...because Blizzard stole it. Of course it was a mishmash of other ripped off stuff to begin with. (Aliens, etc.)
IMO the best RTS available on Steam.

BobJustBob said:

Every GTA before GTA4 had some mission(s) that were pretty much broken.

I beat them all normally, but you can always just cheat your way through them by spawning a tank for yourself or something.

I still think Vice City is the best one, even though San Andreas might be a better sandbox. I liked buying all the businesses and unlocking missions for them that way, it made you feel like you were progressing in the world. In San Andreas and GTA4 the story doesn't match up to the gameplay at all.

ArjanN said:
Every GTA before GTA4 had some mission(s) that were pretty much broken.

I beat them all normally, but you can always just cheat your way through them by spawning a tank for yourself or something.

I still think Vice City is the best one, even though San Andreas might be a better sandbox. I liked buying all the businesses and unlocking missions for them that way, it made you feel like you were progressing in the world. In San Andreas and GTA4 the story doesn't match up to the gameplay at all.

I mostly agree with this, but Vice City didn't have a jetpack.

Bisonian

ArjanN said:
Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising expansion.

Kinda/sorta like Starcraft but with almost no base-building.
The universe is almost the same...because Blizzard stole it. Of course it was a mishmash of other ripped off stuff to begin with. (Aliens, etc.)
IMO the best RTS available on Steam.

DoW2 is a terrific game but apart from the thematic elements (space marines, aliens, etc) it probably couldn't be any more different from Starcraft as a game. In fact, I'm pretty sure a compelling argument could be made that it's closer to Diablo then an RTS.

Still highly recommended either way.

Teknoman

Heres hoping for another sale on the classic Doom games. Ended up getting Doom 1 xbla during the E3 it launched, but i'd think the PC versions would be better. Strange that i've never played any of the classic Doom games by now...

Ledsen

wmat said:

You're right, they don't compare... since they're a completely different style of open world-game. I love both SR2 and GTA4, but for very different reasons.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Teknoman said:
Heres hoping for another sale on the classic Doom games. Ended up getting Doom 1 xbla during the E3 it launched, but i'd think the PC versions would be better. Strange that i've never played any of the classic Doom games by now...
There is a chance they might do an Id sale during Quakecon later this summer and if they do, I would highly recommend repurchasing the Doom series for the PC. All you gotta do is download Zdoom and you have awesome widescreen support and 360 pad support.

http://zdoom.org/

zdoom2010-06-0509-11-1vugu.jpg

Brofist

Stallion Free said:
There is a chance they might do an Id sale during Quakecon later this summer and if they do, I would highly recommend repurchasing the Doom series for the PC. All you gotta do is download Zdoom and you have awesome widescreen support and 360 pad support.

Wait, you want to play Doom on PC with a 360 pad?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kpop100 said:
Wait, you want to play Doom on PC with a 360 pad?
Seeing as how the game was designed around arrows keys for movement/looking around, I don't see what the issue is. Mouse aim is weird as fuck in the game because it was never designed for that and fuck aiming up and down, the game automatically does that for you... and aiming up and down manually makes the world stretch.

onken

Bleh, Mass Effect 2 is still way too expensive on Steam, I can buy a physical copy for half the price. At the same time it would be quite nice to be able to download it anywhere, gah dilemma.

wmat said:

your opinion is wrong.

hopefully the RDR team works on GTA5, as they were able to "get it"

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm getting tired of The Witcher and am looking for a cheap $10 action game to kill time this afternoon. Should I get Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or F.E.A.R.?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Archie said:
I'm getting tired of The Witcher and am looking for a cheap $10 action game to kill time this afternoon. Should I get Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or F.E.A.R.?
F.E.A.R. is much more an action game than Chaos Theory. However, F.E.A.R. gets a little tiring if you spend a whole afternoon with it, especially when you hit the corporate area. I would recommend Chaos Theory if you need to waste an afternoon without getting worn out. F.E.A.R. works much better working your way through a couple levels a day.

Ledsen

Stallion Free said:
Seeing as how the game was designed around arrows keys for movement/looking around, I don't see what the issue is. Mouse aim is weird as fuck in the game because it was never designed for that and fuck aiming up and down, the game automatically does that for you... and aiming up and down manually makes the world stretch.

I can't believe you made an avatar out of that, when I was watching the trailer yesterday I was like "damn, dat ass could crack a man's skull, someone should make an avatar" :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ledsen said:
I can't believe you made an avatar out of that, when I was watching the trailer yesterday I was like "damn, dat ass could crack a man's skull, someone should make an avatar" :lol
I didn't make it, someone else made a batch for general consumption and I grabbed that one :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
kamspy said:

red alert 3 is probably the biggest recent
archaic
traditional build-em-up and knock-em-down starcraft alike.

onken

crimsonheadGCN said:
Supposedly from a Press Account:

The original Mafia on Steam.

Great game, except for that stupid forced racing part, thank god for the exploit. I remember the city driving parts ran like total shit on my computer at the time, I look forward to playing at a decent frame rate (assuming it isn't stupidly priced).

Teknoman

Stallion Free said:

http://zdoom.org/

zdoom2010-06-0509-11-1vugu.jpg

Gotcha, thanks.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Supposedly from a Press Account:

The original Mafia on Steam.

This makes sense. It will probably be release a month or two before Mafia 2 comes out to bring up some attention for Mafia 2.

Yeah, the racing mission sucked. But they did patch it to make it easier. It was clunky, hard, and not fun. When your game has a section with a weak mechanic, do not make that mission hard or long.

speculawyer said:
This makes sense. It will probably be release a month or two before Mafia 2 comes out to bring up some attention for Mafia 2.

Yeah, the racing mission sucked. But they did patch it to make it easier. It was clunky, hard, and not fun. When your game has a section with a weak mechanic, do not make that mission hard or long.

Yea. Mafia 2 has a lot of DLC already registered in the client registry.

M.Bluth

So, I was thinking about buying GTA4 and the DLC, but the Steam store is telling me that GTA4 is not available in my region (but the DLC is, WTF?)

I read the gifting FAQ and it seems I can't get my friend to just send it to me cause it's still not available in my region.
So what can I do? does using a VPN in the store's website works?

Spwn

M.Bluth said:
I read the gifting FAQ and it seems I can't get my friend to just send it to me cause it's still not available in my region.

I've seen plenty of Germans get a bunch of games that aren't in their region by getting someone to gift them.

robatw

or by fooling with the steam support telling them that that they live in the states now and need to get an regional unlock on their credit cards.

onken

speculawyer said:

Or better yet, optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom