• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

A shot of one of the new Defense Grid maps:

DefenseGrid2010-06-0400-43-45-03.jpg

Yeah, they just let you go wild. Best strategy is to build in rings starting at the power supply; even on challenge mode they never made it far enough to get to the extra curve I put at the top.

52club

Interesting Defense Grid pic, I went with straight single column lines. With one perpendicular row at the bottom that helped with the first couple of waves of enemies. Because the enemies were only separated by one row of towers all the way to the cores I wiped the last wave (8 of the massive crawlers with one well placed laser). Pretty cool DLC, if I play it again I'll take a pic of my strategy.

poweld

Red Scarlet said:
I have to name the category myself? Pass. That's too complicated.
You create a category, then just tick a checkbox for each game that belongs in it. Granted, i wish there was a way to tick many games at once, but it isn't as bad as having to type the category in each time.

I do find that it helps to organize, but it's just not a great implementation just yet.

John

52club said:
Interesting Defense Grid pic, I went with straight single column lines. With one perpendicular row at the bottom that helped with the first couple of waves of enemies. Because the enemies were only separated by one row of towers all the way to the cores I wiped the last wave (8 of the massive crawlers with one well placed laser). Pretty cool DLC, if I play it again I'll take a pic of my strategy.
Yeah, I did it in rings to make sure that both entry points were defended evenly; straight rows would've made one or the other harder to kill, unless, like you, I placed a perpendicular line at the front.

M.Bluth said:
So, I was thinking about buying GTA4 and the DLC, but the Steam store is telling me that GTA4 is not available in my region (but the DLC is, WTF?)

I read the gifting FAQ and it seems I can't get my friend to just send it to me cause it's still not available in my region.
So what can I do? does using a VPN in the store's website works?

The gifting should work. And the 'DLC' really isn't DLC . . . Episodes from Liberty City is a a stand alone game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone ever pull a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the online ladder for defense grid? Closest I came on some game was in the 30s, which isn't bad considering my idea of playing good and ending with 100,000+ resources usually ends me in the 200s.

You probably have to do a lot of buying/selling towers in key locations that cause the aliens to completely work their way back every tower when you redirect the only exit for a new path, and I don't really use that strategy at all. Too bad there's no game mode for no selling towers, I feel I'd rank a lot higher in that kind of mode.

Javaman

I was reading the update notes for Global agenda and found this nugget....

Voice
Trial users may now use in-game voice but may occasionally hear 5- to 15-second audio ads. Players that buy the gamewill not have advertisements. Voice can be configured or disabled through the SETTINGS | SOUND menu.

:lol :lol :lol

Javaman said:

Voice
Trial users may now use in-game voice but may occasionally hear 5- to 15-second audio ads. Players that buy the gamewill not have advertisements. Voice can be configured or disabled through the SETTINGS | SOUND menu.

:lol :lol :lol WHAT?!?! That is ridiculous. I will never buy this game now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Weird question: Would anyone happen to know why KOTOR 2 is not on Steam along side KOTOR? I am so readdicted to KOTOR and won't to play KOTOR 2 as well. =(

LovingSteam said:
:lol :lol :lol WHAT?!?! That is ridiculous. I will never buy this game now.
But...buying the game means no advertisements. It's a pretty cheeky way to add revenue, but at least it's only affecting those using the free trial.

pilonv1

Minsc said:
Anyone ever pull a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the online ladder for defense grid? Closest I came on some game was in the 30s, which isn't bad considering my idea of playing good and ending with 100,000+ resources usually ends me in the 200s.

You probably have to do a lot of buying/selling towers in key locations that cause the aliens to completely work their way back every tower when you redirect the only exit for a new path, and I don't really use that strategy at all. Too bad there's no game mode for no selling towers, I feel I'd rank a lot higher in that kind of mode.

I had a top 20 at one point (19th or 11th, can't remember) on one of the Ice maps just after launch. I think at that point though no one had worked out the scoring mechanism.

I'm not a fan of having to juggle towers/paths to get some of these insane scores. Just seems against the point of the game.

I've been googling around but with GTA San Andreas Steam version, where can I go to get the ENB series mod? I see a bunch of them but I don't want to download 500 different mods just to get the right one.

Bonus points if you tell me if it needs any help to get it running at 1920 by 1080

Aon

Javaman said:

Voice

I think it's cool that they're experimenting with new revenue models. Although I can imagine bad situations where the ad covers up some teammates orders and you result in a loss for everyone ><

Twig

Banned
What an awful idea for implementing ads considering most people who are serious about wanting to talk while playing the game will probably avoid whatever awful codec they use, anyway.

At least plaster shit all over the billboards. Or put logos on the ass armor.

Silly developers.

MNC

pilonv1 said:
I had a top 20 at one point (19th or 11th, can't remember) on one of the Ice maps just after launch. I think at that point though no one had worked out the scoring mechanism.

I'm not a fan of having to juggle towers/paths to get some of these insane scores. Just seems against the point of the game.
Seems the devs did a good job of creating a game if people are going further with the game than meant to be. Kind of like a ridiculous fanbase some games tend to get with highscore seekers or something :p

It's the last minute, so of course I now (finally) have Shattered Horizon. :D

And I tried the SupCom2 demo for an hour. I guess I already expected it to be bad, but it seems like they stripped away the logistics and what's left is generic tactical control of generic units.

ArjanN

Kintaro said:
Weird question: Would anyone happen to know why KOTOR 2 is not on Steam along side KOTOR? I am so readdicted to KOTOR and won't to play KOTOR 2 as well. =(

The Lucasarts stuff that is on steam was only added not that long ago. They'll probably add more bundles of their old stuff in the future.

ArjanN said:
The Lucasarts stuff that is on steam was only added not that long ago. They'll probably add more bundles of their old stuff in the future.

Yep I am waiting for KOTOR 2 to come out on steam first. It's really sad, but I kind of don't buy PC games unless they are on steam anymore.

Javaman

ArjanN said:

Hopefully they'll add the X-Wing and Tie Fighter Collections soon. Those and the Wing Commander series would be instant buys for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The_Inquisitor said:
Yep I am waiting for KOTOR 2 to come out on steam first. It's really sad, but I kind of don't buy PC games unless they are on steam anymore.
Don't worry, you are far from the only one. The only games I don't grab on Steam are if I don't see them coming in the near future and I am worried that I won't be able to find them in a store soon (I waited too long on Gears of War PC and now it's really difficult to find).

ArjanN

crimsonheadGCN said:
eversion was added to the store for $4.99. Those who get it before June 14, 2010 will receive a 10% discount.

Loved the free version of this game. Bought.

And with achievements:
lol, one of the achievements is: Metaphor For The Atomic Bomb

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ArjanN said:
Loved the free version of this game. Bought.

And with achievements:
lol, one of the achievements is: Metaphor For The Atomic Bomb

I was on the fence as I had played through the free version, but that achievement just sold me.

Bought eversion and finished it in 30 minutes. Didn't expect it to be this short. :I Pretty underwhelming overall -- I would probably think better of the game if I had played the free version, though.

Twig said:
I just played the free version literally two nights ago. U:
How does the free version differ?

Dynoro said:
Dunno if I missed it being said before; but an excellent write up on Gamasutra about the Steam deals and the reason why they work so well
Interesting read, but first off, sales != scarcity. Second, obscured value or not, all that matters is what it's worth to me. And third, I don't think anchoring is going to cause impulse buying. It's as though he assumes the bundles to be a bad value, but they aren't... we aren't talking competitive pricing, we're talking 75% off. They're just good deals.

ArjanN

slaughterking said:
Bought eversion and finished it in 30 minutes. Didn't expect it to be this short. :I Pretty underwhelming overall -- I would probably think better of the game if I had played the free version, though.

lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

If you didn't get all the gems you didn't actually finish the game. And there's no way you did that in 30 minutes.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ArjanN said:
If you didn't get all the gems you didn't actually finish the game. And there's no way you did that in 30 minutes.
Oh no, the Wario Land: Shake it! argument all over again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Lyphen said:

It's a bit closer to the "I got the bare minimum of stars necessary to get to Bowser, why is this Mario game so short" argument, actually.

Wallach said:
So something totally awesome happens if you get all the gems?
Found this comment on a review: "Just in case you weren't being rhetorical at the end: yes, there is a true ending after you get all of the gems and pass an additional level. I found it pretty satisfying."

ArjanN

Wallach said:
So something totally awesome happens if you get all the gems?

Yes, there are more levels and a different ending. 3 different endings in fact.

Also, if you didn't try to get the gems you just ran past half the puzzles.

Lyphen said:

More like the Castlevania upside-down castle argument.

Shattered Horizon disappeared from my games list because the free weekend is up, despite still being on my hard-drive (so no "pre-load complete"). There's also no entry for it in the add/remove programs control panel. Is there a "better" way of uninstalling it than just deleting the folder from steamapps\common?

Same disappearing deal happened to me with the SupCom2 demo last week when I bought the game, though in that case I could uninstall it from the Windows control panel.

vazel

Banned
slidewinder said:
Shattered Horizon disappeared from my games list because the free weekend is up, despite still being on my hard-drive (so no "pre-load complete"). There's also no entry for it in the add/remove programs control panel. Is there a "better" way of uninstalling it than just deleting the folder from steamapps\common?

Same disappearing deal happened to me with the SupCom2 demo last week when I bought the game, though in that case I could uninstall it from the Windows control panel.
I've had demos that were no longer in my games list still taking up HDD space too. Steam needs to fix that.

Sloegr

slidewinder said:

I was going to ask about that earlier, but I ended up just deleting the folder. I usually uninstall games the day before the free weekend expires for exactly that reason.

Blackheim

Yep, I grabbed it too. Now it just needs to be able to be downloaded. I did play MtG: Online for a bit until I started to spend more money than intended and stopped. I still have about 1000 or so cards in a box that I wouldn't mind getting rid of since I no longer use them and haven't touched them since about 1997 or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom