• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

True, they do sound like bastards. On a moral level, I don't really know I could support these guys. Shit, I paid $2.50 for Beat Hazard... could hardly complain that I couldn't access my iTunes library!

Their note detection algorithms remain to be seen, too... unless there's a demo, I won't bite.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I just don't think indie dev infighting is a pretty thing to look at. Can't we all just bitch and moan about Kotick?

Red

Shaneus said:
Their note detection algorithms remain to be seen, too... unless there's a demo, I won't bite.
This is the big sticking point for me. Need to test out how well the whole thing works before I commit to a purchase.

Don't really go for the dig at Beat Hazard, either. It's what, $1 for the extra licensing fees? Kind of a dick move bringing it up like that.

graywolf323

screw those guys, I happily bought the itunes unlock to support the Beat Hazard guy

it's not like he misrepresented himself or anything

chixdiggit

Boonoo said:
Anyone try out this Turba game? Is it the next Beat Hazard?

I tried the demo. I'm not sure that I know how to play it.

:lol I thought the same thing. The demo does seem cool but I'm not really sure how to play it right.

parasight

Ugh. That RhythmZone game looks terrible. Stole the UI-style of Rock Band and the terrible colorful graphics of Guitar Hero during gameplay. Might as well play Frets On Fire, at least you can mask it to look good.

Diablohead said:
Had no idea it was coming to steam too, is it all peer2peer or server support? on the 360 the unreal engine lag can really be annoying.

I believe it's Peer2Peer and it uses GfWL for matchmaking and achievements.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, that was a dig at Beat Hazard and the developer took another dig later on:
SONIC BOOM said:
And unlike some other titles, we went the extra mile to afford the costs for AAC licensing just so we didn't have to charge you, the players, to play your own music.

Whattadouche.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you still haven't bought Dirt 2 on one of it's many sales, you have really been missing out and you better buy it the next time it drops to 10$. Seriously, it's fucking fantastic. It looks beautiful and it's a ton of fun online. In unranked racing you have a ton of options and can even race cars that aren't "fit" for a track on it. We had a blast rolling through Raid tracks in Rally cars that handle a million times better.

morningbus

Games for Windows Live's matchmaking has been terrible for me. Hell, it hasn't even worked at all the last few times I tried playing with a friend.

MNC

Diablohead said:
the first bolded part I can lol and agree with but the second part is not that bad o_o I <3 live so.
kbt3t5.png

(I hate its guts alot)

Volcynika said:
The man speaks the truth.

Along with making me sign in so I can have the ability to save my game. What.
pretty sure you can just make an offline profile for saving.

Bad matchmaking I don't understand as I myself have yet to run into any bad problems with it, plus it's normally different per dev as it's up to them to add it in and make it run.

Outside of valve games nearly half of my steam games are gfwl enabled, but I only own like 14 games outside of the valve stuff.

Volcynika

Diablohead said:
pretty sure you can just make an offline profile for saving.

If I could, it was incredibly bad at pointing that out and explaining that to me, because all it did was tell me "Sign into your account" and when I declined, it told me saving my game was disabled.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I actually like GFWL. Haven't had any problem with it on either DoW II or GTA IV. And the Live friends integration and achievements are a nice feature.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
luxarific said:
I actually like GFWL. Haven't had any problem with it on either DoW II or GTA IV. And the Live friends integration and achievements are a nice feature.

I have a few beefs. One is that the patching system works like Live or 360; launch game, sign in to GFW, get notice of a patch, say okay, get booted out of the game, patch downloads, launch game, sign in to GFW. Ugh.

(Just ran into this with Kane and Lynch last week--btw micro-review: Kane and Lynch starts off being not as bad as everyone says it is, and then by the time you get to Cuba 2/3rds of the way through the game, it's exactly as bad as everyone says it is. Worth $5, but definitely not much more. Didn't play multiplayer.)

1693fk3.jpg

Although, i do recommend against it, instead make an online account (which can still be used offline), because if you ever format the PC, or make an online account in the future, i think all your local profile save games will be made unusable (at least, with the new account, most definitely if you format).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ogs said:
1693fk3.jpg

Although, i do recommend against it, instead make an online account (which can still be used offline), because if you ever format the PC, or make an online account in the future, i think all your local profile save games will be made unusable (at least, with the new account, most definitely if you format).
Yeah don't ever make an offline account.

Seriously? I think I have that. I hate having all these accounts. Windowslive, EA, etc...

So if I create a real account that should fix my saves, even old ones?

Lyphen said:
Removing that option would solve a lot of heartache.

It used to be in your face with "Create LIVE Profile" and "Create Offline Profile", but they changed it to what you see above, with it sort of hidden away in the text. Really wish GFWL games weren't so butthurt about save games, can be a right pain in the arse, even for the games that do allow you to keep them after a format.

Mr_Zombie

Lyphen said:
Removing that option would solve a lot of heartache.

They can't remove it. Not everyone who owns a GFWL game has an Internet access, or (in case of Poland and many other countries) to the Live itself. Such people, without the option to create an offline account, wouldn't be able to, for example, save games.

Instead Microsoft should add an option to connect an offline account to the online one. I had to replay RE5 few more times because at first I played the game in offline mode (as stated above, by default Live doesn't work in Poland) and only later on managed to create an online account. Losing all the stats, treasures, money and Mercenary characters was a pain in the ass :/

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Also, for people who don't know: GWFL gives you a free game: Tinker

Tinker.jpg

Just look in the Marketplace in the GFWL client (sort by title, since you can't search it for some reason) and you can download if for free.

Not that this in any way alleviates the problems people have with GFWL, but still, free game.

morningbus

Yeah, Tinker is a pretty good puzzle game. The controls take a bit of getting used to on a keyboard though.

I will add that I've largely had no problems with single-player GFWL games, as all those promised features worked well. I've only encountered stupid problems with the multi-player components. Also, not caring about a gamerscore largely invalidates any benefits I'd get out of single-player GFWL games, especially when the features I sorta/kinda/maybe care about are implemented either equally or better on Steam or Impulse.

So, at best, I don't care about GFWL. At worst it is a personal affront to me, my children, and my children's children. From a mind-share perspective, that isn't really the best place to be in.

coopolon

BloodySinner said:
I totally regret not buying Kane & Lynch for $5 when I had the chance. FUCK.

I wouldn't beat myself up over it. I got it as part of the Eidos pack, and forced myself to play through it while I was in one of my "Oh my god I've spent how much money on hundreds of steam games and haven't played any of them" moments and regret it. It's probably better on PC because of the superior controls, but it's still a shit game with a few cool ideas/moments.

(Just ran into this with Kane and Lynch last week--btw micro-review: Kane and Lynch starts off being not as bad as everyone says it is, and then by the time you get to Cuba 2/3rds of the way through the game, it's exactly as bad as everyone says it is. Worth $5, but definitely not much more. Didn't play multiplayer.)

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment, except I'd say it goes downhill after the night club level much earlier in the game. Once I got to the truck, I realized I was starting to hate the game.

I'd say save your $5 and spend it on a third person shooter that is all fun.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Bufbaf said:
Not buyable from germany *sigh* ..
WE MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE, ILLUSION *shakes fist*

I know it's a publishing thing

Edit: Oh, it's not buyable anywhere? Phew.
Usually, you can't view non-buyable games anyway without changing to cc=us or whatever. So I guess it'll be available here after all! Which isn't too surprising — it was a mega-hit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom