• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Fersis said:
Lyphen said:
He may actually have you on ignore.
It would be fine if he had me on ignore, since he wouldn't respond. But no (unless he finally added me on ignore), since he has been replying to my posts. Recently he commented about one of my VAC questions -- I'm aware that my attitude towards VAC bans is probably overly cautious, but I asked him for any specific reason the post he was responding to was unreasonable after he posted something in reply, and he didn't reply. Then he posted "That's nice." after I offered a server download suggestion in a TF2 thread, and then he posted in this thread, instead of actually answering the question about whether it was normal for sales to end this early. In each case, he replied to me once and then didn't respond when I followed up.

I'm pretty sure at least two of those were since he defriended me out of the blue after calling my friend a bitch, and up until that point he was just some relatively normal NeoGAF person that I talked to on Steam occasionally.

It's silly forum drama and I should just ignore it, but I don't see why he needs to be rude instead of putting me on ignore, if he is insisting on not telling me what's going on. To put this into perspective, vertopci and PillowKnight may hate me with the strength of a thousand burning suns, but they at least rarely if ever respond to my posts or act rude to me on the forum. Even Twigglefaust the Bold is almost nicer!

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Blizz, if you make a typo or a category in Steam you don't like, remove all games in it and it will disappear.
Awesome, thanks. I had put one other game in the category and forgotten about it.

Boonoo

Anyone try out this Turba game? Is it the next Beat Hazard?

Turba provides a gameplay experience unlike any you have encountered before. Load in music from your PC and combo blocks to your favorite tunes in this unique new twist on the “match-3” style game!

The blocks on the game board generate and move to the beat of the song you choose. Clear blocks in time with the beat and make expert combos to maximize your score while you compete in online leaderboards for any and every song you play.

Key features:

Three modes of play
Seven Special Powers to change up how you play
Online leaderboards for each song you play
Supported file types: Mp3, Music CDs, Flac, Ogg, Wma, Ape, Mpc
Last.fm Scrobbling support
In-depth stat tracking and unlock system
20 Steam achievements, 50+ Steam stats, Steam leaderboards

I tried the demo. I'm not sure that I know how to play it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
K.Jack said:
Why do I not have this option?
Cause it doesn't exist? I don't think I've seen that option in the Windows client; the OSX client on the other hand definitely has a Mac Games filter.

Is there something I missed with Red Faction? The game is dropping down in framerates every now and then but I dunno what's causing this! The graphics are set to medium and my CPU is not maxed out at all when this happens. Yesterday it was at 30% only and I had huge framedrops.

ah, I think I found the "problem". But no solution so far! How can I switch to DX9 Mode?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Caesar III said:
Is there something I missed with Red Faction? The game is dropping down in framerates every now and then but I dunno what's causing this! The graphics are set to medium and my CPU is not maxed out at all when this happens. Yesterday it was at 30% only and I had huge framedrops.

ah, I think I found the "problem". But no solution so far! How can I switch to DX9 Mode?
Add -nod3d10 to the launch options.

John

Welp, San Andreas doesn't open. I doubleclick it, nothing happens. Internet detectiving isn't turning up anything useful.

That's three games in the last month.

MNC

John said:
Welp, San Andreas doesn't open. I doubleclick it, nothing happens. Internet detectiving isn't turning up anything useful.

That's three games in the last month.
I had that too. Delete gta_sa.set from the user files. You'll have to search a bit to find it.

Caesar III said:

Yeah, Red Faction is one of the sloppier console ports I've played. I heard several mythical methods of running the game in DX9 mode, but I never was able to get any of them to work. Some people totally swear that clicking anywhere on your desktop while the game is booting up boots the game in dx9 mode. I do not expect you to have any success with this, but it's worth a shot.

K.Jack said:

This sounds like a much better solution. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TouchMyBox said:
Yeah, Red Faction is one of the sloppier console ports I've played. I heard several mythical methods of running the game in DX9 mode, but I never was able to get any of them to work. Some people totally swear that clicking anywhere on your desktop while the game is booting up boots the game in dx9 mode. I do not expect you to have any success with this, but it's worth a shot.
K.Jack said:
They patched it so you could guarantee DirectX 9 using K.Jack's method.

Kamaki

Guys I went to buy the Orange Box as I wanted Half Life 2 Episode one and two and planned on gifting Half Life 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 away as I heard I could do that.

Apparently though when I go to buy the pack it says I wouldn't receive extra copies of Portal and Team Fortress 2.

Has something changed?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TouchMyBox said:

This sounds like a much better solution. :lol
It's a lot better than the travesty of a port job they did with Saint Row 2.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kamaki said:
Guys I went to buy the Orange Box as I wanted Half Life 2 Episode one and two and planned on gifting Half Life 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 away as I heard I could do that.

Apparently though when I go to buy the pack it says I wouldn't receive extra copies of Portal and Team Fortress 2.

Has something changed?
It's been like that since day 1. Only HL2 and Ep 1 can be gifted.

Never thought of this until just today, but the kids were watching me play Mass Effect and wanted to try it out. Is it possible to set them up with a steam account on the same PC and play the games I already bought, or do I need to buy copies for them?
We buy one copy of console games, and we can all play with our own profiles, so there must be a way to do this with steam.

Volcynika

ipukespiders said:
Never thought of this until just today, but the kids were watching me play Mass Effect and wanted to try it out. Is it possible to set them up with a steam account on the same PC and play the games I already bought, or do I need to buy copies for them?
We buy one copy of console games, and we can all play with our own profiles, so there must be a way to do this with steam.

The games are tied to your account, not your PC. You could have them sign on your profile and go in offline mode or something so you can still go online with that account on a separate machine, though I personally haven't tried it.

Volcynika said:
The games are tied to your account, not your PC. You could have them sign on your profile and go in offline mode or something so you can still go online with that account on a separate machine, though I personally haven't tried it.
Yup it works. Log them in, make sure all games are updated, go offline. You can then go online.

LovingSteam said:
Yup it works. Log them in, make sure all games are updated, go offline. You can then go online.

I wasn't worried about also being able to go online at the same time, since we only have 1 machine capable of playing games.
But that is good to know, thanks.

Does offline mode count towards "hours played" when the account goes back online?

jbpaz

http://www.electronictheatre.co.uk/index.php/pc/pc-news/5291-ruse-free-weekend-announced

Ubisoft has today announced that this weekend, from Thursday 15th – Monday 19th July 2010, gamers eagerly anticipating the upcoming release of the Real-Time Strategy (RTS) title, R.U.S.E., will be able to play a renovated demo for free. Available via Valve’s digital distribution service, Steam, the new build of R.U.S.E. features many adjustment’s based on feedback from the beta testing phase.

I was thinking of preordering Fallout New Vegas, but have a question.

Does Steam charge you instantly when you preorder or wait until release?

FleckSplat said:
I was thinking of preordering Fallout New Vegas, but have a question.

Does Steam charge you instantly when you preorder or wait until release?
Instantly I believe, but if you cancel and talk to support before release they can refund you or something.

ChoklitReign said:
Can I play it with a wireless GHWT guitar? It's a dumb question (unless that Ethernet port actually works) but I don't want to play it with a keyboard.
Yeah, they should make it work with the 360 controller . . . and then it would work with a guitar too, right?

fna84 said:
Is there anyway to acquire the Apple Earbuds in TF2 or am I too late?
Too late.

Probably not great for gameplay since if you are trying to hide in the shadows, those little white notes coming out of your ears kinda give you away.

Salsa

speculawyer said:
Portal: Free

Half-Life 2: Sale

Team Fortress: Sale

Counter Strike Source: Sale

Day of Defeat Source: No sale?

That's odd.

Yeah, it is. Im guessing its because it was 2.5 usd in this last sale.

Smash88

Banned
speculawyer said:
Portal: Free

Half-Life 2: Sale

Team Fortress: Sale

Counter Strike Source: Sale

Day of Defeat Source: No sale?

That's odd.

Wasn't Day of Defeat: Source a daily deal during the summer sale?

EDIT: I was doing other stuff while posting this so I was late to the party. Beaten. :lol

DOUBLE EDIT: By 10 minutes? What the hell took me so long?

K.Jack said:
Thx :)

Additionally I deactivated the last two options in the settings and it's at Vsync fps (60) nearly all the time.

I like the game! Especially when an EDF guy is hiding behind a wall and I crush the wall and the guy with my hammer :lol

ChoklitReign said:
Can I play it with a wireless GHWT guitar? It's a dumb question (unless that Ethernet port actually works) but I don't want to play it with a keyboard.

The developers gave out more information:

Hey everyone, thanks for all your interest! Let me answer some of your questions here.

A lot of you were curious about the price of Rhythm Zone, well to clarify that Rhythm Zone will normally be priced at $9.99. But for the first week of sale starting July 20th, were going to offer Rhythm Zone at 10% off!

For questions about Leaderboards, Rhythm Zone will have both Global and Friends boards. We utilize Last.fm's fingerprint technology to ensure the songs you analyze match up with your friends or any other Rhythm Zone player's songs. However, you can feel free to edit your songs label information, since the song is not identified by the label. The song is identified by the music itself.

As far as controllers go, Rhythm Zone is designed for keyboard use (with 4 button input and NO strum button ) though any USB peripheral (e.g. a guitar game controller) will work with Rhythm Zone. You can feel free to configure the key settings as you wish on USB peripherals, though we can't handle support inquiries on products made by third parties

On the visualizer backgrounds, we're definitely going our own route and not trying to recreate Guitar Hero. So with that, we have no plans to do a club scene. However post launch we will have many visualizers for sale as DLC, and we'll be posting a survey for anyone to request up and coming features and send us requests for new visualizers. As mentioned above we have no plans for a club scene, but if enough players request such a thing, well we'll definitely put that on the list.

What won't be DLC however, are supported file formats. So everyone can expect Rhythm Zone to launch with support for all major music formats, including iTunes files. The supported file types are:
• mp3
• m4a
• aac
• flac
• wav
• ogg
• wma

$9.99 is a pretty good price. Probably try it out now.

MoFuzz

What won't be DLC however, are supported file formats. So everyone can expect Rhythm Zone to launch with support for all major music formats, including iTunes files. The supported file types are:
• mp3
• m4a
• aac
• flac
• wav
• ogg
• wma
Ouch, was that a dig at Beat Hazard? Damn, music game devs be hatin' on one another.

MNC

For questions about Leaderboards, Rhythm Zone will have both Global and Friends boards. We utilize Last.fm's fingerprint technology to ensure the songs you analyze match up with your friends or any other Rhythm Zone player's songs. However, you can feel free to edit your songs label information, since the song is not identified by the label. The song is identified by the music itself.
This is what I am still missing in Audiosurf. Leaderboards are crap when you don't have the same song, even though it is :/

MoFuzz said:
Ouch, was that a dig at Beat Hazard? Damn, music game devs be hatin' on one another.

Yes, that was a dig at Beat Hazard and the developer took another dig later on:

Sonic Boom said:
Hey everyone,

The pricing point for Rhythm Zone will be: $10.00, £7.99, €8.99. Also, for the first week of sale starting on July 20th, as was said above, we'll be selling Rhythm Zone for 10% off!

To the questions regarding a demo, Rhythm Zone will not have a demo. We feel that the game has enough consumer value to warrant a $9.99 price point. We really want to support the indie game community, and we really hope everyone enjoys Rhythm Zone. And unlike some other titles, we went the extra mile to afford the costs for AAC licensing just so we didn't have to charge you, the players, to play your own music.

Also, for some other general information on Rhythm Zone, you can view a previous thread post here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16042645&postcount=35

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom