• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

denomes

Corran Horn said:
Anyone know how to remove a game from your Steam Library. I got Civ 4 awhile ago during a sale but for some reason it only gave me access to the Mac version only. After like a 1-2 week wait steam responded and I got access to the PC version of Civ 4 + expansions via deleting stuff but now the Mac versions are still in my library taking up space in my list. :lol

Is that suppose to be normal or should there be a way to remove it?

I guess I can email steam again but it seems to take forever for a response in my experience

It's an issue for everyone with Civ IV since Mac support was added. A temp solution is to right click each Mac version and "Set category..", then create a new category called mac or something and put them in there so they're separated from your main list.

Looks like my question got left to the bottom of the previous page, just want to make sure people can see this if anyone's interested:

MisterAnderson said:
Is anyone down for a Serious Sam Second Encounter 4 pack? If someone else could get the pack I'd paypal my share as soon as I get your paypal username/email.

Corran Horn said:
Anyone know how to remove a game from your Steam Library. I got Civ 4 awhile ago during a sale but for some reason it only gave me access to the Mac version only. After like a 1-2 week wait steam responded and I got access to the PC version of Civ 4 + expansions via deleting stuff but now the Mac versions are still in my library taking up space in my list. :lol

Is that suppose to be normal or should there be a way to remove it?

Pic of it:
http://i.imgur.com/g0swo.png

I guess I can email steam again but it seems to take forever for a response in my experience

OCD?

Corran Horn said:
Not installed. Cant do anything with it really via the options I see. Just want to hide it or whatever because its annoying to see 2 copy's of each Civ 4 version.
Just make a category for it. and minimize it. or just show only installed games.

DogWelder

Then do this:

4Y7KG.png

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I did. I was just asking if anyone has any solution or seeing if this occurred to any others. I use the Grid view normally so I just sort by Installed for now but would eventually like a fix for it.

Blizzard

Banned
I just tried to launch shatter and my hard disk apparently started grinding trying to validate TF2 files. Did anyone else get a random huge validation? (I cancelled and tried to validate manually...it's annoying when you validate manually since you can't do anything else with steam in the meantime)

*edit* You can work around it by running say, Shatter from the command line and using the ingame community from there if you need to.

Zel3

Corran Horn said:
Not installed. Cant do anything with it really via the options I see. Just want to hide it or whatever because its annoying to see 2 copy's of each Civ 4 version.

I feel the same way, its such a small thing but I hope it's fixed.

Blizzard

Banned
faceless007 said:
I start Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper and it says:

"TAGES Drivers

The drivers require installation (with an administrator's account).

Do you want to proceed now?"

Fuck no.
Wait, the Steam version has Tages and it's not listed on the store page? That would be scary, especially if it's a driver style installation. I would email Gabe but he didn't respond to my last three emails so :lol.

I can't seem to find much info on that game and Tages online though, at least not related to Steam. From what I read briefly it seems the main point of Tages is DVD scrambling style stuff, for disc checks.

Got around to starting the Scourge Project which I bought in the steam sales for cheap, only about half an hour into it but already you can tell it's kind of cheaply made, it looks great like most UE3 titles and runs super smooth but animations feel like they are all half speed, the gun play is simple to the point where the AI doesn't feel smart but will just shoot at you the moment you come out of cover even if they are facing the other way, everyone is a meat shield too apart from the player who can be downed in like 1 second :S

I will play through it more later but it's not grabbing me at all, might try to apply super sampling to it a it does look stunning in areas.

Man, what a fantastic game engine Serious Engine 3 is. The amount of customisation is absolutely insane, I love all the scaling/supersampling/undersampling options and you really get to tweak the shadows to how you like them.

I 'm really liking the "bicubic sharpen" scaling algorithm coupled with a lower redering resolution and decent MSAA. It gives a smooth, antialiased image but doesn't really lose much of the sharpness of native rendering and the performance is fantastic with this combination.

If I wasn't so broke I'd buy the double pack now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brain_stew said:
Man, what a fantastic game engine Serious Engine 3 is. The amount of customisation is absolutely insane, I love all the scaling/supersampling/undersampling options and you really get to tweak the shadows to how you like them.

I 'm really liking the "bicubic sharpen" scaling algorithm coupled with a lower redering resolution and decent MSAA. It gives a smooth, antialiased image but doesn't really lose much of the sharpness of native rendering and the performance is fantastic with this combination.

If I wasn't so broke I'd buy the double pack now.
Anti-aliasing was cutting my framerate by half or more. It seems pretty poorly implemented into the engine performance wise. I can max everything in the game (ultra or higher) and maintain a 90 fps average, but if I turn on AA I drop to the 40's and lower.

brain_stew said:
Yeah, I was always shocked that no one ever licensed it to make games. It had the ability to deal with so many different characters on screen.

Perhaps they don't have a console version thus killing business case for using it.

Summer Sale Regret: Why did I buy Dragon Age? I don't really play RPGs. It is not a bad game . . . just not my thing.

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
Wait, the Steam version has Tages and it's not listed on the store page? That would be scary, especially if it's a driver style installation. I would email Gabe but he didn't respond to my last three emails so :lol.

I can't seem to find much info on that game and Tages online though, at least not related to Steam. From what I read briefly it seems the main point of Tages is DVD scrambling style stuff, for disc checks.

Email Steam Support about it. Let them know the game tries to install TAGES but it's not listed on the game info page.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I was always shocked that no one ever licensed it to make games. It had the ability to deal with so many different characters on screen.

Perhaps they don't have a console version thus killing business case for using it.

Summer Sale Regret: Why did I buy Dragon Age? I don't really play RPGs. It is not a bad game . . . just not my thing.

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter is on Xbox Live Arcade. The second one might be too.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stallion Free said:
Anti-aliasing was cutting my framerate by half or more. It seems pretty poorly implemented into the engine performance wise. I can max everything in the game (ultra or higher) and maintain a 90 fps average, but if I turn on AA I drop to the 40's and lower.

I have 4xAA on ultra everything @ 1920x1200 with shadows enhanced a bit further, and don't drop below 60, seems fine to me! :)

Zefah said:
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter is on Xbox Live Arcade. The second one might be too.
That is an earlier version of the engine. But then again, that engine was pretty awesome as is.

Maybe it didn't have good tools . . . or it was is Croation?

kinggroin

Banned
Stallion Free said:

Ditto.

On my 5970, everything maxed out at 1080p I was getting 60fps (vsync) with not a single drop in framerate regardless what happened on screen.

Enabling 4xAA dropped it to a locked 49fps :p.

edit: Minsc, your card?

Minsc

Gold Member
kinggroin said:
Ditto.

On my 5970, everything maxed out at 1080p I was getting 60fps (vsync) with not a single drop in framerate regardless what happened on screen.

Enabling 4xAA dropped it to a locked 49fps :p.

edit: Minsc, your card?

5870, I went back to the game seeing that you've got a better card, and I think it spawned me in a different time of day than previously.

First time it was really sunny and everything was blow out, this time it was much shadier and shadows were a ton more numerous. I also put my counter on and it does drop to the upper 40s with 4x AA now, and stays locked at 60fps without it.

Guess I spoke too soon! Even 2x AA doesn't seem to perform any better or worse. It does look a lot worse with no AA though, I'll probably just deal with the sub 60 framerate for a bit, unless it doesn't get better... it feels a lot smoother running at 60.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about the time of day thing, I reloaded a bunch more times, and it doesn't seem to change. Had my GPU overclocked a little before, that made it a tad smoother, but still got drops. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

UrbanRats

Can someone explain to me, how this Mac/PC stuff works?
I bought HL2, Civ4, Osmos, etc for PC, but i have the Mac versions too (i'm downloading HL2 right now on my imac, just to test i out).
Was this a limited offer or what?

UrbanRats said:
I bought HL2, Civ4, Osmos, etc for PC, but i have the Mac versions too (i'm downloading HL2 right now on my imac, just to test i out).

Nope, you get both versions of any game available on the Mac. It's not a limited time offer.

UrbanRats said:
Any game that is listed as 'Steamplay' means you get both the PC & Mac versions. Obviously, you can only play one of them at a time. It is pretty damned cool.

I think they may eventually have some Mac-Only games but right now all the games that run on the mac are SteamPlay (both PC & Mac).

animlboogy said:
I hope the introversion games end up being SteamPlay soon. At least the ones that have OSX versions for sure (Darwinia, Defcon).

Has there been any word on that?
Introversion makes more money selling through their own store. They probably aren't going to do it in any rush unless evidence suggests it will increase their user base significantly.

UrbanRats

Cool feature.
Ofcourse i already uninstalled HL2, since it wouldn't find my mouse(it does in the menus, but not ingame, go figure)and it was just a test.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
That is an earlier version of the engine. But then again, that engine was pretty awesome as is.

Maybe it didn't have good tools . . . or it was is Croation?

Both Serious Sam HD games are on Serious Engine 3. The first encounter might be running on an earlier version, but it is still Serious Engine 3.

Salaadin

Im getting ready to install an SSD and reformat so Im backing up my game saves. I got all of them except for Steam Cloud games. I assume that once I reinstall Steam, I can just sync back up and my game saves will magically come back?

Salaadin said:
Im getting ready to install an SSD and reformat so Im backing up my game saves. I got all of them except for Steam Cloud games. I assume that once I reinstall Steam, I can just sync back up and my game saves will magically come back?

Yes, as long as you did not disable Cloud on an account wide or game specific basis.

If you want to save the locale files then here's the information:

User IDs
[USERNAME] -- The name of the Windows account you use on your computer
[STEAMNAME] -- The name of your Steam account
[STEAMID] -- A numerical identifier for your Steam account

Steam-specific locations
[STEAMPATH] -- The default location where Steam is installed
Windows 32-bit: C:\Program Files\Steam\
Windows 64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

[STEAMAPPS] -- The default location for Steam Games
All versions: [STEAMPATH]\steamapps\

[STEAMCLOUD] -- Files that synchronize with the Steam Cloud
All versions: [STEAMPATH]\userdata\[STEAMID]\

Blizzard

Banned
How does one try to play the Serious Sam free weekend? There is a a "click here to access the free weekend" kinda link, but clicking it both in a normal web browser and in Steam does nothing but bring up the store page. I don't see it anywhere on my uninstalled games list either, unless I'm just looking in the wrong place.

*edit* Oh, the free "weekend" ended half an hour ago, at 1 p.m. PST. Is that normal? That's kind of a short weekend considering some people might end up working late Friday or Saturday. :lol Not to mention they still haven't fixed the store page since the free weekend link is still up.

Demigod Mac

Corran Horn said:

Next to Show: All Games

change it so it's PC games only.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Rhythm Zone, which is similar to Guitar Hero, is coming to Steam on July 20. The game could be good if it is able to accurately represent the song you play from your library.
Can I play it with a wireless GHWT guitar? It's a dumb question (unless that Ethernet port actually works) but I don't want to play it with a keyboard.

Volcynika

Blizzard said:
How does one try to play the Serious Sam free weekend? There is a a "click here to access the free weekend" kinda link, but clicking it both in a normal web browser and in Steam does nothing but bring up the store page. I don't see it anywhere on my uninstalled games list either, unless I'm just looking in the wrong place.

*edit* Oh, the free "weekend" ended half an hour ago, at 1 p.m. PST. Is that normal? That's kind of a short weekend considering some people might end up working late Friday or Saturday. :lol Not to mention they still haven't fixed the store page since the free weekend link is still up.

Free Weekend! - Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

Product Release - Valve Jul 8, 2010

Kick off the weekend by playing Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter for free! You can also save 50% by purchasing the title this weekend.

Free weekend ends Sunday at 1pm (PST). 50% off sale ends Monday at 10am (PST).

Around Mid Thurs - Mid Sun.

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
Around Mid Thurs - Mid Sun.
I'm aware that it was my fault for not looking earlier to see exactly when this free weekend ended, and now I know to pay attention for future free weekends to make sure I try them early enough.

However, your response does not answer my question about whether it was normal for free weekends to end this early, not does it explain why you did not answer in the TF2 thread when I asked what your problem with me was (last time you posted a dismissive/condescending response), nor why you ignored my PM on this forum, nor why you ignored the TF2 group chat messages, nor why you defriended me on Steam, and so on.

If you wish to ignore me, I believe there is an option to ignore a specific person in NeoGAF. But if you are going to not ignore me and yet continue to post little respones like this, I think it is only fair to ask yet again...what is your problem with me? :/

vazel

Banned
Weird, I can still boot up Serious Sam 2 and play single player. Although mp says authentication failed. Hope it stays like that for a while longer, the online sucked anyway.
Blizzard said:
I'm aware that it was my fault for not looking earlier to see exactly when this free weekend ended, and now I know to pay attention for future free weekends to make sure I try them early enough.

However, your response does not answer my question about whether it was normal for free weekends to end this early, not does it explain why you did not answer in the TF2 thread when I asked what your problem with me was (last time you posted a dismissive/condescending response), nor why you ignored my PM on this forum, nor why you ignored the TF2 group chat messages, nor why you defriended me on Steam, and so on.

If you wish to ignore me, I believe there is an option to ignore a specific person in NeoGAF. But if you are going to not ignore me and yet continue to post little respones like this, I think it is only fair to ask yet again...what is your problem with me? :/
He's inserting secret mind reading viruses on your computer.
eyes.gif

Blizzard

Banned
vazel said:
Weird, I can still boot up Serious Sam 2 and play single player. Although mp says authentication failed. Hope it stays like that for a while longer, the online sucked anyway.
I saw your stealth edits with my secret mindreading powers!

He's inserting secret mind reading viruses on your computer.
eyes.gif
No, he is just posting condescending/potshot responses to posts after calling my friend a bitch, defriending me on Steam, and ignoring all questions as to why he is acting in this fashion. :/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
poppabk said:
You could ask around to see if someone will buy it for you and gift it, seems to happen fairly often during the sales. I lack the paypal to facilitate such a transaction.
I dont feel conforable doing that since i cant give anything back.
=/

Volcynika said:
Fersis, make sure you check out all of the DLC.

:p
I think they have a money laundering operation or something like that.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Volcynika said:
Wanna know how they transport that money.

Trains
:lol
Theres like 300 bucks on DLC.

Blizzard said:
Replying and then ignoring the response for the third time? :/
????
Lyphen said:
He may actually have you on ignore.
Oh theres something going on between them? Ok * Walks away *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom