• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavien

Mr_Zombie said:
They can't remove it. Not everyone who owns a GFWL game has an Internet access, or (in case of Poland and many other countries) to the Live itself. Such people, without the option to create an offline account, wouldn't be able to, for example, save games.

Instead Microsoft should add an option to connect an offline account to the online one. I had to replay RE5 few more times because at first I played the game in offline mode (as stated above, by default Live doesn't work in Poland) and only later on managed to create an online account. Losing all the stats, treasures, money and Mercenary characters was a pain in the ass :/

Also for a long time i couldn't get GFWL to connect at all (due to unusual router issues), so having an offline account was a godsend to me.

Ofcourse it was only later that i realised that i couldn't transfer my offline saves to online...

:(

luxarific

Nork unification denier
speculawyer said:

I was trying to get the dizzy avatar look, but I kept on missing the shot. This was the next best expression.

(I know, I'm part of the problem, but I like the live avatars. Do I buy avatar props? Why yes, I do. :D )

Flunkie

Banned
Volcynika said:
Well tell the people that make the games to work on demos. :p
Well, stuff like the Kane and Lynch 1 demo. If you venture out on the internet, there's one for download. Check Steam, there's the game and not the demo. I'd like to have everything I need in one place. Just minor gripe, not more more than that. I know it's not totally Steam's fault.

Valve said:
Future Wars Now Available
Product Release - Valve

Future Wars is now available on Steam and 20% off until July 22nd.

Battle it out on the proving grounds and get ready for Future Wars.

Similar to classic titles such as Advance Wars and Battle Isle, the game takes strategy gaming away from the micro-management overkill that it has become and using simple, proven rock-paper-scissors principles, reopens the genre to everyone.

Tempted to buy it, since it's being compared to Advance Wars.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's kind of boring to look at, not cinematic at all.

When is Puzzle Quest 2 getting released on PC?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
crimsonheadGCN said:
Tempted to buy it, since it's being compared to Advance Wars.
The multiplayer is play by email only though, which is kind of bizarre. Is P2P really that difficult? But I might still buy it anyway, for the same reason.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
BloodySinner said:
I totally regret not buying Kane & Lynch for $5 when I had the chance. FUCK.
The game is only about 4 and a half hours long. Its not like it would've occupied you for too long and none of it is actually that good. The story is pretty cool and the locations are varied, but that's about it.

BioHazard

There's a free preview weekend of the MP portion of Tom Clancy's RUSE. The download link doesn't seem to work for me though. I think they just updated it, like 5 minutes ago.

BioHazard said:
There's a free preview weekend of the MP portion of Tom Clancy's RUSE. The download link doesn't seem to work for me though. I think they just updated it, like 5 minutes ago.

Pretty sure Tom Clancy's
franchised ghost writers
got nothing to do with it.

Although it is an Ubisoft wargame so I can see how you'd be confused.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
BobsRevenge said:
The game is only about 4 and a half hours long. Its not like it would've occupied you for too long and none of it is actually that good. The story is pretty cool and the locations are varied, but that's about it.
I thought it was pretty good during the Heat style robberies, nightclub fight etc but the end of the game was terrible (interesting idea which was executed horribly). The fact that it was a chore to finish a 5 hour game is not a good sign.

Volcynika

poppabk said:
Didn't Ubisoft outright buy the rights to the name 'Tom Clancy' when it comes to games? They were probably gonna stick the Tom Clancy name on R.U.S.E then changed their minds.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they bought the rights to his name to use for the branding.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yep, you guys are right, they bought the rights to use his name on videogame products, but I guess they stopped smoking whatever and realized that you don't slap his name on a World War 2 game. If you are going to do that, you might as well make Tom Clancy's Assassin's Creen, Tom Clancy's Prince of Persia, etc.

nexen

Stallion Free said:
Yep, you guys are right, they bought the rights to use his name on videogame products, but I guess they stopped smoking whatever and realized that you don't slap his name on a World War 2 game. If you are going to do that, you might as well make Tom Clancy's Assassin's Creen, Tom Clancy's Prince of Persia, etc.
You know, I could totally go for a Tom Clany's Prince of Persia. Some sort of blend of Chaos Theory and Sands of Time.

edit: That's what Assassin's Creed should have been.

I wonder if this means that Valve is looking towards what other software they could provide users with besides games:

Valve said:
New Software Survey
Steam Blog - Valve

Steam's opt-in hardware survey has been providing valuable data to the gaming industry for several years now, for gamers looking to upgrade their systems, game designers striving to target their customer base, and PC manufacturers anticipating gaming system adoption rates and trends. However so far it's been limited to just hardware components, which everyone knows is just one part of a gaming system.

So in today's Steam Client Beta release we're extending the survey to include installed software - Any programs listed within Windows' Programs and Features control panel (OS X coming soon) are reported alongside the hardware information Steam collects and reports online.

The new software component of our survey helps us understand what else our customers are using their PCs to do, and as a result, what features we can deliver or leverage to make Steam and our games better. PC users, developers and manufacturers will no doubt also find this information useful, so we plan to publish these results and trends over time. The first set of software survey results will be published among Steam stats at the end of the month.

As always, this survey is both optional and anonymous, with none of the collected data being associated with your Steam account. Survey selection is random; you'll know you're part of the Survey because Steam will ask if you want to take part.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sounds legit guys, visit steamlikename.myfreewebhost.com to get your password hacked. I mean, your account upgraded.

coopolon

BobsRevenge said:
ummm...

What the shit is this? Reeks of virus. Reeks of it.

Really, how valuable is to hack someone's Steam account? I don't even understand the appeal. Then again, I don't understand the appeal of hacking someone's WoW account and that certainly happens all the time.

I just have a hard time seeing it be that profitable. You hope they have their CC info saved, buy a bunch of games and I guess gift them to some dummy email where hopefully you can then sell them later? And with Steam being so proactive about locking out purchases/accounts after any suspicious activity whatsoever, it'd be even harder!

TUSR

Banned
coopolon said:
Really, how valuable is to hack someone's Steam account? I don't even understand the appeal. Then again, I don't understand the appeal of hacking someone's WoW account and that certainly happens all the time.

I just have a hard time seeing it be that profitable. You hope they have their CC info saved, buy a bunch of games and I guess gift them to some dummy email where hopefully you can then sell them later? And with Steam being so proactive about locking out purchases/accounts after any suspicious activity whatsoever, it'd be even harder!
I always thought the appeal of WoW was to gear up your own character and work your hardest to get the best gear by min/maxing the crap out of your slots.

Well at least it was for me...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
coopolon said:
Really, how valuable is to hack someone's Steam account? I don't even understand the appeal.
How valuable is it to create a virus that wreaks havoc on millions of computers? They do it because they can.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't believe people even bother accepting the messages (it does a pop up asking if you even want to see a message if it's from someone not on your friends list).

Psy-Phi

Stallion Free said:
How valuable is it to create a virus that wreaks havoc on millions of computers? They do it because they can.
Ask the people who make hundreds of thousands of dollars selling bot nets how valuable it is.

MNC

If the account has gotten alot of games: Sell it for just a bit below the combined price of all the games: score. Or the hackers play the games themselves :lol I have no idea what they do with it. My friend I think once clicked on such link, and lost his account :lol Steam support was mighty helpful though and he got it back the same day.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Goddamnit. Apparently Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light is a one month 360 exclusive so it won't be on Steam till September. Fucking Microsoft and it's summer of live bullshit.

Valve said:
Chaser Now Available
Product Release - Valve 10:13

The classic shooter Chaser from JoWood/Dreamcatcher is now available on Steam.

Mars, 2044. The UN establishes MARSCORP (Martian Security and Economics Committee) under the leadership of Samuel Longwood. In the years that follow, the UN gradually loses control of MARSCORP, mainly due to the non-transparent licence policy of its director. Longwood uses his autonomous status to create vassal relations between the corporations and MARSCORP. The unshakable power position of MARSCORP is supported by the companies and thus they acquire additional rights and licenses. Longwood and his consortium become extremely wealthy from this arrangement. However, dissenting voices in MARSCORP begin to challenge Samuel Longwood's authoritarian policy. They demand his dismissal as director and a complete redistribution of the mining rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom