• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
graywolf323 said:
nice :D now just gonna wait for a sale :p

was hoping they'd do this eventually for those of us who had bought Fallout 3 vanilla on sale back before they added the GOTY edition to the store
Fallout 3 + Expansions were on sale a couple weeks ago. I bought the Entire Fallout 3 + DLC pack for like, 25 bucks.

And Oblivion + Expansions for like 10

And Morrowind + Expansions for like 5

Sloegr

dani_dc said:
I got DoWII from THQ Uk store a few months ago and had no issues registering it on steam.

Someone on here said they had DoW2 taken away from their account since they bought it from a different region (THQ's UK site). Does anyone know Steam's official stance on that? I'm hoping it was a mistake, not policy.

vocab

ElJuice said:
Someone on here said they had DoW2 taken away from their account since they bought it from a different region (THQ's UK site). Does anyone know Steam's official stance on that? I'm hoping it was a mistake, not policy.

Ya, well I ordered from there, and I still have it on my account, and it still works. Who knows why that happened to that guy.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ElJuice said:
Policy is: You really shouldn't do that, because a game from another region has a different monetary value tailored specifically for that region, and when a publisher bothers us, we'll delete from your account.

What really happens: People buy all kinds of Steam-enabled shit from all over the world at smaller prices and when the game is successful enough/the spotlight is on it, Valve will compare your key to your region and remove if they're not compatible (see: Modern Warfare 2, DoW II, Left4Dead 2).

You're safe most of the time (specially when the game didn't just release/it's not a highly anticipated title)

ElJuice said:
I think it was a different game, though from the THQ UK site like you say, and pretty much everyone had it taken away. AFAIK, no one's had DoW2 taken. Maybe the game was one that isn't on Steam's official retail key list, but that worked anyway?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

OH MY GOD CHASER!!!

I remember that game!

It was actually pretty fun. Sloppy, sloppy fun. I didn't even realize you could do slow motion shit until I was half way through it. :lol :lol

Ah, man. I had way too much fun with that dumb game. I never thought I'd see it again.

At $5 I'd recommend it.

Narag

ElJuice said:

Still have my DoW II too.

Any chance I can get someone to buy a copy for me and email/PM me the steam code? I'll paypal the funds tonight if someone is willing.

EDIT referring to the Metro deal

Sloegr

slidewinder said:
I think it was a different game, though from the THQ UK site like you say, and pretty much everyone had it taken away. AFAIK, no one's had DoW2 taken. Maybe the game was one that isn't on Steam's official retail key list, but that worked anyway?

You're right. I was mistaken; it was actually Saint's Row 2 which was bought from THQ UK as well. Still messed up to see someone lose their key when buying from a publisher's site like that, but thanks for correcting me.

drizzle said:
Policy is: You really shouldn't do that, because a game from another region has a different monetary value tailored specifically for that region, and when a publisher bothers us, we'll delete from your account.

What really happens: People buy all kinds of Steam-enabled shit from all over the world at smaller prices and when the game is successful enough/the spotlight is on it, Valve will compare your key to your region and remove if they're not compatible (see: Modern Warfare 2, DoW II, Left4Dead 2).

You're safe most of the time (specially when the game didn't just release/it's not a highly anticipated title)

Thanks. I see that others still have DoW2, but it apparently could be taken away in a wave if THQ complained about the keys purchased from THQ's site for a Steamworks game? :lol That'd be pretty ridiculous, and I hope Valve would agree.

AcciDante

Would Metro 2033 run well on a Phenom X6 1055T and a 5870? I remember that game had some technical issues when it came out. If it's okay now, I'll bite for that price.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AcciDante said:
Would Metro 2033 run well on a Phenom X6 1055T and a 5870? I remember that game had some technical issues when it came out. If it's okay now, I'll bite for that price.

Um... yes?

I bought it at release when I had a Core 2 Duo and I don't recall any 'technical issues' other than it being very demanding. Once I got a Core 2 Quad I was able to max it out in DX11 (although I had to keep it in 1280x800 resolution to keep it running smoothly). I have a 5870 as well.

AcciDante

Zefah said:
Um... yes?

I bought it at release when I had a Core 2 Duo and I don't recall any 'technical issues' other than it being very demanding. Once I got a Core 2 Quad I was able to max it out in DX11 (although I had to keep it in 1280x800 resolution to keep it running smoothly). I have a 5870 as well.

Oh, thanks. Maybe I was thinking of some other game having issues :lol

graywolf323

drizzle said:
Fallout 3 + Expansions were on sale a couple weeks ago. I bought the Entire Fallout 3 + DLC pack for like, 25 bucks.

And Oblivion + Expansions for like 10

And Morrowind + Expansions for like 5

you seem to have missed the part where I mentioned I already own Fallout 3 vanilla

why would I want to buy GOTY edition?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone want to buy me a copy of Metro 2033 and send me the key via GAF PM so I can get it on Steam? I'll paypal $12.50 USD+tax to anyone who would be so kind.

THQ's site lets me select Canada as an address, but doesn't let me check out. There's no THQ Canada website on the territory list, so I'm not in the wrong region or anything.

Thanks, Volcynika

Tim-E

NIN90 said:
Fuck you and your Extended Download Service, THQ :lol

If you buy a game that is Steamworks enabled, after you get the key from THQ, you don't have to worry about downloading from anywhere else besides Steam.

graywolf323 said:
you seem to have missed the part where I mentioned I already own Fallout 3 vanilla

why would I want to buy GOTY edition?

Because buying the GOTY edition during that sale, and getting the game and all five DLC packs, would be cheaper than buying three DLC packs individually.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tim-E said:
If you buy a game that is Steamworks enabled, after you get the key from THQ, you don't have to worry about downloading from anywhere else besides Steam.

Because buying the GOTY edition during that sale, and getting the game and all five DLC packs, would be cheaper than buying three DLC packs individually.
Assuming the key works on Steam. The "in this format" verbage on the Steam Site that talks about CD keys has me a bit wary; since others have mentioned the THQ store is a download only thing, I could see why that may have one format for CD keys that is different from a store bought copy.

Has anybody here actually bought from THQ and entered the key into Steam yet?

graywolf323

Tim-E said:

you missed the part where I said I was going to wait for a sale on the DLC packs :lol

and I already own the damn game

Volcynika

LocoMrPollock said:
Mine was automatic the one time I bought something on there a couple months back.

:/

Someone on CAG said they had to wait an hour+ to get their confirmation email :lol Guess I'll just be more patient!

Diebuster

Volcynika said:
How long on average do people wait for their codes? Must still be getting slammed, I haven't gotten anything.

It took around 50 minutes for my Metro 2033 (thanks for the reply earlier by the way, nexen too) code to show up.

When I bought DoWII a few months back it took around 10 minutes for my email, stuck it into steam and never had a problem with it, if you don't own the original DoWII it's also on sale for $7.50 and well worth it.

Oreoleo

Chaos Rising key get! And it only took an hour and a half :p At least the CR content is already included in DOW2's local cache so I don't have to download anything :D

kamspy

Earlier in the year I bought Saints Row II and DoW2 from the THQ store.

Saints Row got yanked off in about a week, but DoW2 is still there.

Still skeptical enough to keep me from buying from them. Valve says they are a shady retailer.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow...THQ doesn't allow the sale in Canada.

Would anyone be able to buy Metro 2033 and DOW2 Chaos Rising for me? I'd paypal right away.

edit: I put an order in with a bogus address. Says they're "processing". We'll see if it worked.

I saw Tidalis. watched the video and was interested so i bought the game. now I'm playing the tutorial to learn and i can't even figure out how to do Tutorial #2. I'm embarassed ;( :lol

I too am looking for a kind citizen of the Master Race United States of America to help a poor Canadian peasant with Metro 2033.
I can paypal right away!

Sloegr

kamspy said:

Still skeptical enough to keep me from buying from them. Valve says they are a shady retailer.

What?

Pretty shitty that they took Saints Row away, though. I thought a publisher's store would be about as legit as it gets aside from buying from Steam directly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DMPrince said:
I saw Tidalis. watched the video and was interested so i bought the game. now I'm playing the tutorial to learn and i can't even figure out how to do Tutorial #2. I'm embarassed ;( :lol
I loooove Panel de Pon, so the image caught my attention, but then I saw how it worked and I was like no thanks, too much for my eyes/brain to keep track of.

Shaneus

Wow, so no buying unless you're in that small handful of regions? No dice, THQ.

Thank fuck for that though, saved me some money :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ok, so I have DoWII, but I uninstalled it, but still have the saves. Just bought Chaos Rising. What do I install?

Dipper145

TheExodu5 said:
Wow...THQ doesn't allow the sale in Canada.

Would anyone be able to buy Metro 2033 and DOW2 Chaos Rising for me? I'd paypal right away.

edit: I put an order in with a bogus address. Says they're "processing". We'll see if it worked.
Did this work? I'm thinking of getting Metro 2033 and Chaos Rising too...

kamspy said:
Wasn't the issue with this that you bought from the UK THQ store and your steam account is USA (or something like that)?

Mrbob

Grr what the heck. Just ordered a digital copy of Metro 2033 and this is the message I get?

Thank you for your order. Your order is being processed and you will be notified of the result shortly.

Hope it doesn't take too long! No email yet. :(

Edit: Key emailed and working in Steam...downloading now!

onken

So what's the deal with that "I currently live in this country" tick box at checkout? What happens if you untick it?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
onken said:
So what's the deal with that "I currently live in this country" tick box at checkout? What happens if you untick it?
Some games get delisted or changed in price most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom