• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipper145

So a weird thing happened. Even though every purchase of metro 2033 and chaos rising that I attempted ended in something like "We couldnt process this purchase go verify your information." I woke up to an e-mail today about a purchase I made with them. Follow the info and got my codes to Metro 2033 and Chaos Rising. I was thinkin I had got it free cause ever time I tried it turned me down, but my CC was charged. Oh well, I'm happy about it. Guess they realized I really was desperate to get these games haha.

Dipper145 said:
So a weird thing happened. Even though every purchase of metro 2033 and chaos rising that I attempted ended in something like "We couldnt process this purchase go verify your information." I woke up to an e-mail today about a purchase I made with them. Follow the info and got my codes to Metro 2033 and Chaos Rising. I was thinkin I had got it free cause ever time I tried it turned me down, but my CC was charged. Oh well, I'm happy about it. Guess they realized I really was desperate to get these games haha.
Got in the sale price right? If so, I'm glad it worked out :) I would have helped you then but I didn't see your posts till now.

deleted

xyla said:
Hello there fellow US-PC GAFers...

I´d like to purchase DoW II and Chaos Rising for 15 $ from the THQ store, but sadly the site won´t accept my credit card as I´m not from the US.
Can someone send me the keys and I paypal you the money?

Thanks
xyla

Self quoting for new page.
Anybody willing to help me?

Dipper145

oversensitive said:
Got in the sale price right? If so, I'm glad it worked out :) I would have helped you then but I didn't see your posts till now.
Thanks man, yep got it at the sale price so it worked out great for me.

xyla said:
Self quoting for new page.
Anybody willing to help me?
Maybe oversensitive will help you?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
FUCK THE THQ STORE!

So I e-mailed their customer support last night. I got a reply six hours ago asking for more info, which I provided, and I got the most ridiculous reponse:
Dear XXXX XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Digital River.

Unfortunately, we do not handle the customer service for Logitech.
Please contact them directly with your request through one of the
following channels:

United States: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/contact/&cl=us,en

Canada: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/contact/&cl=ca,en

Europe (English): http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/contact/&cl=gb,en

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Where the fuck did they get Logitech from? I am seeing this shit through the end now.

Daigoro

godhandiscen said:
FUCK THE THQ STORE!

So I e-mailed their customer support last night. I got a reply six hours ago asking for more info, which I provided, and I got the most ridiculous reponse:

Where the fuck did they get Logitech from? I am seeing this shit through the end now.

ugh annoying. dumb ass store.

i placed an order for Chaos Rising about an hour ago, nothing yet. fingers crossed.

godhandiscen said:
FUCK THE THQ STORE!

:lol Digital River also runs MS' office student promotion. Tried to buy Office for my gf not too long ago - it's insane how incompetent these people are.

godhandiscen

Daigoro said:
ugh annoying. dumb ass store.

i placed an order for Chaos Rising about an hour ago, nothing yet. fingers crossed.
Did you get an order number? I didn't get jack shit. Now they charged me and I cannot do anything about it. They will not use my credit card number to identify my purchase and since I never got an order number I am fucked.

Daigoro

godhandiscen said:
Did you get an order number? I didn't get jack shit. Now they charged me and I cannot do anything about it. They will not use my credit card number to identify my purchase and since I never got an order number I am fucked.

nope i didnt.

now i wish i had read your update today before i ordered.

edit: i tried to look up my order on the site by using my email address and the last 5 digits of the card i used.

no orders found. nice.

godhandiscen

Daigoro said:
nope i didnt.

now i wish i had read your update today before i ordered.

edit: i tried to look up my order on the site by using my email address and the last 5 digits of the card i used.

no orders found. nice.
Yeah, same problem here. I also tried to look up my order through the last 5 digits of my CC and my e-mail address and got nothing.

Daigoro

godhandiscen said:
Yeah, same problem here. I also tried to look up my order through the last 5 digits of my CC and my e-mail address and got nothing.

ok i got the email. it came with the confirmation # and a link. i was able to put the confim # and the password i was asked to enter at checkout and actually look up my order. just took a while.

good luck getting that crap worked out. nothing worse than a shitty web store that loses your order. we get spoiled using brilliant sites like Amazon etc. it comes as a shock when trying to purchase something through some poorly managed archaic site like THQ.

good luck.

godhandiscen

Anyway, so I called Digital Rivers: 952-253-1234.

They sorted out my shit and now I am a happy.

Burekma

Soo, guys, what skins are you using for the Steam client?

I was just browsing through the steam forums and came upon this excellent compact skin:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279345

I much prefer it to the original steams design, so i think I'll be using it from now on and see how it goes.

Anyway, I did some more searching and stumbled upon this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235952

When I watched his video, I said holy shit. It's amazing what some of these creative guys go through to try and improve a certain programs UI. I just somehow doubt it he'll be able to implement everything as it seems to go much beyond just reskinning the existing UI.

soo i've finally got a new computer and steam and cant decide what game to buy first. Between killing floor, left for dead 2, and Team fortress 2 which community would be the most accepting of a new player??

Burekma

ipukespiders said:
I must be missing something, I don't see any difference.

It's not as major as the second one but it clearly is different.

librdetailsppmv.png

nexen

ohhthegore said:
soo i've finally got a new computer and steam and cant decide what game to buy first. Between killing floor, left for dead 2, and Team fortress 2 which community would be the most accepting of a new player??
TF2

Nabs

ohhthegore said:

I guess I'd recommend TF2. Go to Online and join the GAF group, and add the server to your favorites.

It's not the easiest game to get into but the community won't kill you for sucking. You could spend an entire round throwing piss and I doubt anyone would say anything. I may try it tonight.

So many people picked up L4D2 during the sale, so check Online for some people to play with. It's a really good time to jump in. I wouldn't recommend random play until you get the basics down. I wouldn't recommend random play at all tbh... we have a bunch of people to play with.

I haven't played KF in a while, but there is a KF group and server here. I don't know how active they are, so I can't really recommend it.

Burekma said:

http://www.abload.de/img/librdetailsppmv.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I like it, it's not too different and full of pointless stuff and also keeps the original steam look overall.

[URL="http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5260/31024067.png"]This one[/URL] seems to look rather good also.

Javaman

Psy-Phi said:
You know you can back it up yourself, use a DVD, USB thumb drive or hard drive (preferably disc, in a nice case).

You pay for the convenience of them keeping a backup for you, or back it up yourself. If the 5 bucks is gonna break the deal for you, the sub 1/4 of a dollar dvd shouldn't.

I mean your other options, if you still want to play the game, is to buy a retail version or from a different DD service that operates a service allowing you "unlimited downloads*" (and charge premium prices for anything not on sale). Either way you go, you're gonna be paying more if you don't want to go this route and back it up yourself.

* = unlimited unless they go out of business :p

You should always back up everything you download and desire to keep around anyway. I've got all of my Steam, Impulse, D2D,& EA Store games backed up on an external HDD that also backs up all my media purchases from Zune, Amazon & iTunes. Once a month I make sure to stay current. The drive could fail though, so I really should put these on DVD's or a 2nd hard drive.

Speaking of media, I can't re-download my Amazon/iTunes media again. And they don't even offer a service I know about to let you.

Or the third option which is to not buy it in the first place. I see what you're saying, but it's just an mistake to charge people $5 to ensure they can download the game later when there's other competitors who don't do that. Certainly I can't speak for everyone, but in my case it is directly causing them to lose sales. The same applies to other E-downloads like iTunes and cell-phone games. What a joke.

poweld

confused said:
TF2 is harsh. Prepare to die, A LOT. L4D2 is awesome fun.
I'd agree with this fellow. TF2 is tough at this point, and Killing Floor is a little opaque. All great games, but I think L4D2 would be the easiest to slip into, just play some single player to get yourself acquainted.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
confused said:
TF2 is harsh. Prepare to die, A LOT. L4D2 is awesome fun.
TF2 is not harsh. Difficult to master, yes. But anyone can jump in, play, and not be afraid of harassment.

Javaman

ohhthegore said:

I would definitely say TF2 since you can respawn and get back into the action with minimal fuss and waiting.

Ledsen

Burekma said:

http://www.abload.de/img/librdetailsppmv.png[/MG][/QUOTE]

That compact one doesn't look good at all, it sacrifices clear, attractive design for compactness. It's a bad idea just going in there cutting away all the padding.

Nabs said:
It's not the easiest game to get into but the community won't kill you for sucking. You could spend an entire round throwing piss and I doubt anyone would say anything. I may try it tonight.
I've done exactly that when trying to get some of the Sniper Achievements. :lol And I got a bunch of them but I still didn't get the 5 assists one yet.

Bunny

ohhthegore said:

get all three!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Lyphen said:
TF2 is not harsh. Difficult to master, yes. But anyone can jump in, play, and not be afraid of harassment.
Yeah, I'd say L4D2 can definitely be more harsher since teamwork is pretty essential in multiplayer. In TF2, there's enough people on teams to pick up your slack as you're learning the game. And it supports a variety of different play styles. Don't mind the K:D ratio and just have fun!

wish i would have had this set up sooner because i would have bought all 3 at the prices they were selling for during that sale a few week back

Nabs

You should have thought of that! That's what I did during the Winter sale. I bought a boat load of games, and built my computer a week later.

speculawyer said:
I've done exactly that when trying to get some of the Sniper Achievements. :lol And I got a bunch of them but I still didn't get the 5 assists one yet.

hmmm.. I still need that one. I may roll with a heavy, and just hope he kills my victims.

Sloegr

Circle of Willis said:
I'm surprised people would say TF2 is harsh. Compared to other FPS, it's incredibly lenient at penalizing the neophyte.

Agreed. There's always the possibility of ending up on an Alltalk server and having some asshole berate you, but the possibility of someone being a jerk is present in all of three of the games he was interested in buying. For the most part, TF2 has a pretty mellow community in my experience.

poweld

Circle of Willis said:
I'm surprised people would say TF2 is harsh. Compared to other FPS, it's incredibly lenient at penalizing the neophyte.
I only think it'd be tough due to the ability of people that have been playing for so many years now, i.e. you get rocke(te)d pretty handily.

suplex

Yea I just finally started playing TF2 recently and I get my ass kicked for the most part and no one gives me any shit about it.

Tim-E

If you do shitty in TF2 it doesn't really matter and no one cares, but if you do shitty in L4D2 with a team of seasoned players, they'll likely want you dead.

Nabs said:
hmmm.. I still need that one. I may roll with a heavy, and just hope he kills my victims.
Standing near a sentry helps. If you soak someone with piss when they are near an enemy sentry, they go down pretty fast.

The difficultly is that it takes a long time to regenerate piss or you need to hit the locker.

I think both TF2 and L4D2 are relatively noob friendly. For TF2, just make sure you join a server with a lot of people. In small games, it is more difficult to blend in. And EVERYONE dies a lot in the game. That is just the way the game is. But you respawn within 3 to 20 seconds, so who cares if you die all the time?

With L4D2, playing campaign games with randoms is fine. Just start with games that are on 'easy' or 'normal'. The game forces people to cooperate or die. I'd avoid versus though. That is hard and since you are 1/4th of your team, your suckiness will become apparent quickly.

I haven't played KF enough to have a good grip on it.

KF is tough at first because when you die, you lose the cash and weapons you had accumulated to that point. So if you're in the later rounds (5+), you can be at a pretty serious disadvantage when the big boys (fleshpounds, etc.) start rolling in.

After you get good enough to survive rounds with the pistol (or duals), you can pretty much put the game into cruise control and start smashing enemies with large guns.

KF has a bit of a leaning curve, but once you get to that point the game becomes quite easy.

Oh, and no one cares if you die or mess up. They're worried about their own asses. It's basically a shooting gallery anyhow.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh for goodness sake, will someone make a controller support patch for Alien Swarm? This shit is awkward as hell, it should be done like Smash TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom