• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no, i just bought it at the thq store for 7.50. i didn't even see it on sale before.

THQ store has been slow all day. Took me an hour and a half to get a confirmation email earlier. Just be patient.

Psy-Phi

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what the fuck? i just bought DoW II and i don't see a download option. I don't see an e-mail, how long does this take!?!?
Are you sure the purchase went through? Check your CC/PayPal/Bank; there's a check box that says "confirm" on the final stage of the purchasing that I sometimes forget to check in my anticipation of downloading the game.

Maybe you did all that, just asking because I can't be sure unless you say it :p.

EDIT:
evil solrac v3.0 said:
no, i just bought it at the thq store for 7.50. i didn't even see it on sale before.

Wha? THQ Store...Steam thread. Why posted here? I must have missed something on the previous page.

Oreoleo

Psy-Phi said:
Wha? THQ Store...Steam thread. Why posted here? I must have missed something on the previous page.

They had/are having a 75% off sale on PC titles. DoW2's CD key can be registered on Steam.

Order Details
Order Number:******8011
Order Date: 7/17/2010
Order Status: Order Submitted
Billing Address:
Jose smith
123 anytown avenue
apt 4a
BRONX, NY
10***
US

that's what the page says now. so i guess i have to wait? lame......
names and info changed obviously.

deleted

Hello there fellow US-PC GAFers...

I´d like to purchase DoW II and Chaos Rising for 15 $ from the THQ store, but sadly the site won´t accept my credit card as I´m not from the US.
Can someone send me the keys and I paypal you the money?

Thanks
xyla

Psy-Phi

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Order Details
Billing Address:
Jose smith
123 anytown avenue
apt 4a
BRONX, NY
10***
US

I'm thinking they're having a problem that Valve runs into on games that suddenly hit a magical price point that makes everyone want to buy it. Like FUEL, they may have run out of keys (temporarily or for the duration of the sale -- I'll hope the latter, I'm interested in it as well at $12.50). Sucks, but even digital products have a limit when there are keys associated.

That or their money server is just getting slammed hard.

Danneee

Anyone in the US want to buy me a key to Chaos Rising (it can be activated through Steam, right?)?
I can't buy it myself because I live in Sweden but I'll paypal the money asap!

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Order Details
Billing Address:
Jose smith
123 anytown avenue
apt 4a
BRONX, NY
10***
US

That's what you get for living in anytown avenue...

Dipper145

I've been trying to use a fake address but it keeps telling me its unable to process my request. I'm in Canada so I figured maybe they had some blocking this so I use ultrasurf and that didn't work. I guess it's because I'm trying to pay with a pre-paid mastercard gift card thats from Canada or something.

I want to buy metro2033, and Chaos Rising. If anyone wants to help a fellow gaffer out, I could pay you back with paypal. Or i could give you the info for the gift card I have (it has 25$ canadian on it)

I had surgery recently and am on painkillers and can't really do anything for the next couple days except sit here and play games.

Psy-Phi

Dipper145 said:
I've been trying to use a fake address but it keeps telling me its unable to process my request. I'm in Canada so I figured maybe they had some blocking this so I use ultrasurf and that didn't work. I guess it's because I'm trying to pay with a pre-paid mastercard gift card thats from Canada or something.

I want to buy metro2033, and Chaos Rising. If anyone wants to help a fellow gaffer out, I could pay you back with paypal. Or i could give you the info for the gift card I have (it has 25$ canadian on it)

I had surgery recently and am on painkillers and can't really do anything for the next couple days except sit here and play games.
Probably your IP address actually.

But also, the address is for billing information; if it doesn't match the card you wouldn't get through (though I guess a pre-paid card wouldn't have to worry about that? But then there's the matter of where it was activated, that is tracked after all).

Javaman

I was going to buy a couple of the non steam games on the THQ website but noticed that they charge money to guarantee the DL's availability for 2 years. Fuck that stupid shit.

Firestorm

So my Beat Hazard doesn't boot up anymore. Worked just fine a few weeks ago =/ It just kills itself as soon as it tries to boot. Tried changing resolution and stuff but that doesn't fix it. Deleted the game and re-downloaded and that didn't help either.

Psy-Phi

Javaman said:
I was going to buy a couple of the non steam games on the THQ website but noticed that they charge money to guarantee the DL's availability for 2 years. Fuck that stupid shit.
...You can remove that from your cart.

Psy-Phi said:
I'm thinking they're having a problem that Valve runs into on games that suddenly hit a magical price point that makes everyone want to buy it. Like FUEL, they may have run out of keys (temporarily or for the duration of the sale -- I'll hope the latter, I'm interested in it as well at $12.50). Sucks, but even digital products have a limit when there are keys associated.

That or their money server is just getting slammed hard.
I think it is just a shitty e-tail site. Why doesn't it just give you the key instantly instead of emailing it?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
well it finally works after re-downloading. THQ store better fix their shit if they want repeat business.

yes.
Thank you. I purchased them. I don't know how long it will take. I am just hoping it went through.

Psy-Phi

Firestorm said:
So my Beat Hazard doesn't boot up anymore. Worked just fine a few weeks ago =/ It just kills itself as soon as it tries to boot. Tried changing resolution and stuff but that doesn't fix it. Deleted the game and re-downloaded and that didn't help either.

Just got finished playing, was just going to test it after I read your post, but then I decided to try out some of my new tunes :). What's it do? Just close immediately? Were you playing on a different screen from the last time you played? I had a problem with The Secret Of Monkey Island SE like that, where it would close instantly, and found out it was because the res was set too high.

You did say you changed the res though so it sounds like you thought of that. Did you change an .ini file or can you launch the game but not start any music?

speculawyer said:
I think it is just a shitty e-tail site. Why doesn't it just give you the key instantly instead of emailing it?

Well, it seems like the first people to buy got the key instantly (I didn't see any complaints anyway). But you are probably right, and I do agree; especially if you don't choose to have download guarantee.

Firestorm

Psy-Phi said:
Just got finished playing, was just going to test it after I read your post, but then I decided to try out some of my new tunes :). What's it do? Just close immediately? Were you playing on a different screen from the last time you played? I had a problem with The Secret Of Monkey Island SE like that, where it would close instantly, and found out it was because the res was set too high.

You did say you changed the res though so it sounds like you thought of that. Did you change an .ini file or can you launch the game but not start any music?
I was actually on a different screen at first but switched it back and still no go. It crashes immediately. Didn't change any settings. Only change I can think of is my 360 controller is now synced to my PC =/ I wanted to play it on my TV instead of KB&M on monitor.

godhandiscen

Ehh... how long is this going to take? I already got charged. I want to get my code asap to start downloading and if possible play it before I go out tonight...

Shambles

godhandiscen said:
Ehh... how long is this going to take? I already got charged. I want to get my code asap to start downloading and if possible play it before I go out tonight...

You must be lying, DD is supposed to be faster and easier than driving 2 blocks to the store, buying it, and bringing it home to install. Burn the witch!

I feel for you :(

Psy-Phi

Firestorm said:
I was actually on a different screen at first but switched it back and still no go. It crashes immediately. Didn't change any settings. Only change I can think of is my 360 controller is now synced to my PC =/ I wanted to play it on my TV instead of KB&M on monitor.

Hmm. Didn't change any drivers or anything of the sort (new codec packs?). It's odd that it would just exit. You said you downloaded it again, did you also try "verify integrity of game cache", it should be good since you just downloaded it again but it's worth a shot.

Is your TV still connected? Disable it if so. Can't recall the game but one of the hundreds I have had an issue if two screens were spanned (it'd be fine if they were mirrored).

Found this thread at the Steam Forums, hope it helps you if you haven't seen it already.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234343 (it's about the same problem, crashes on launch).

godhandiscen said:

Patience is a virtue (that I don't have, but maybe I can impart my new wisdom to you).

I stayed up for a lot longer than I wanted to last night waiting for it. Had I just waited, I'd have woken up earlier and saw it waiting. (I ordered shortly after posing above at 3:09AM, and got it at about 6AM). Guess maybe 2 1/2 hours?

I get what you're saying though, it's kind of hard to trust a site you've never shopped at before, especially with one with such a shoddy system. Even though it is THQ (I began to get paranoid and thought that I had perhaps not ordered it from them since you get no confirmation at all -- go to the support link on their page and put in your e-mail addy and last 6 digits of the credit card number. That put that paranoia to rest).

I say don't wait up, the steam servers aren't slammed with a super sale this weekend, so your download speeds should be fantastic. (I also waited for it to finish downloading to try it out -- but couldn't stay awake after about an hour, and it only had like 20 more minutes to go).

godhandiscen

Psy-Phi said:
Hmm. Didn't change any drivers or anything of the sort (new codec packs?). It's odd that it would just exit. You said you downloaded it again, did you also try "verify integrity of game cache", it should be good since you just downloaded it again but it's worth a shot.

Is your TV still connected? Disable it if so. Can't recall the game but one of the hundreds I have had an issue if two screens were spanned (it'd be fine if they were mirrored).

Found this thread at the Steam Forums, hope it helps you if you haven't seen it already.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234343 (it's about the same problem, crashes on launch).

Patience is a virtue (that I don't have, but maybe I can impart my new wisdom to you).

I stayed up for a lot longer than I wanted to last night waiting for it. Had I just waited, I'd have woken up earlier and saw it waiting. (I ordered shortly after posing above at 3:09AM, and got it at about 6AM). Guess maybe 2 1/2 hours?

I get what you're saying though, it's kind of hard to trust a site you've never shopped at before, especially with one with such a shoddy system. Even though it is THQ (I began to get paranoid and thought that I had perhaps not ordered it from them since you get no confirmation at all -- go to the support link on their page and put in your e-mail addy and last 6 digits of the credit card number. That put that paranoia to rest).

I say don't wait up, the steam servers aren't slammed with a super sale this weekend, so your download speeds should be fantastic. (I also waited for it to finish downloading to try it out -- but couldn't stay awake after about an hour, and it only had like 20 more minutes to go).
Ohh, its not a matter of patience. I just hadn't read the thread and I was thinking something went wrong and I had to call customer support. If 3.5hrs is what you experienced then I guess I shouldn't count on the codes arriving today. It's fine, thank's for the info.

Firestorm

Yeah, I only ever have one monitor enabled at once =/ Tried verifying earlier as well along with some of the tips in that thread. I'm going to assume that Windows updated something and I didn't notice and that's the conflict. Maybe it'll be fixed in the future. I just finally got off my ass and synced my 360 controller and wanted to try it out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Has steam been randomly disconnecting for anyone else? It just says No Connection at the bottom of the store screen?

My nets fine but steam craps itself once a day. No idea what's going on.

evlcookie said:
Has steam been randomly disconnecting for anyone else? It just says No Connection at the bottom of the store screen?

My nets fine but steam craps itself once a day. No idea what's going on.

Just happen to me......restarted steam and it was fine.

Dipper145

I really want to buy Metro 2033 and Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising, but can't because I'm from Canada. Is anyone willing to buy them and I could pay back through my verified paypal account?

Pleaseee. Pm me, or respond here if you can.

Hawk SE

Javaman said:
Of course you can. They can also remove the download at any time if you do.

Yeah but as soon as you get your CD Keys from THQ, register the games on Steam. Now you can always download your game from Steam

Volcynika

Hawk xSx said:
Yeah but as soon as you get your CD Keys from THQ, register the games on Steam. Now you can always download your game from Steam

Check his earlier post:

"I was going to buy a couple of the non steam games on the THQ website"

X26

Banned
despite just owning a netbook, and knowing I'd have issues, I downloaded civ3. I messed with the .ini file to get it to load despite it requiring a higher resolution (1024x768) that the netbook runs at(1024x600), and that's fine however I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to be able to scroll around in-game so that I can see the bottom 168 pixels

Nabs

Firestorm said:

my beat hazard doesn't quit, but it goes to this screen that tells me to configure my game pad. i want to use my m/kb and it won't let me play

Psy-Phi

Javaman said:
Of course you can. They can also remove the download at any time if you do.

You know you can back it up yourself, use a DVD, USB thumb drive or hard drive (preferably disc, in a nice case).

You pay for the convenience of them keeping a backup for you, or back it up yourself. If the 5 bucks is gonna break the deal for you, the sub 1/4 of a dollar dvd shouldn't.

I mean your other options, if you still want to play the game, is to buy a retail version or from a different DD service that operates a service allowing you "unlimited downloads*" (and charge premium prices for anything not on sale). Either way you go, you're gonna be paying more if you don't want to go this route and back it up yourself.

* = unlimited unless they go out of business :p

You should always back up everything you download and desire to keep around anyway. I've got all of my Steam, Impulse, D2D,& EA Store games backed up on an external HDD that also backs up all my media purchases from Zune, Amazon & iTunes. Once a month I make sure to stay current. The drive could fail though, so I really should put these on DVD's or a 2nd hard drive.

Speaking of media, I can't re-download my Amazon/iTunes media again. And they don't even offer a service I know about to let you.

Psy-Phi

SapientWolf said:
I had to go to www.findmyorder.com and enter in my order number to get my code.
Wasn't sure about that site until I saw that it was associated with Digital River (and since THQ's store is through Digital River it should be fine), but you should probably just use the tool built into their store front for that.

Support > What is my order status? > same inputs as what's on the URL you just posted.

Direct Link

I just noticed in the new release tab that the fallout 3 DLC is all there as seperate packages now £5.99 each. SOoeone here was on about wanting the DLC without buying the GOTY version.

Personally for the price of all that DLC you are best buying the GOTY in a sale.

Diablohead said:
I just noticed in the new release tab that the fallout 3 DLC is all there as seperate packages now £5.99 each. SOoeone here was on about wanting the DLC without buying the GOTY version.

Personally for the price of all that DLC you are best buying the GOTY in a sale.

A lot of us bought the original Fallout 3 though, and don't want all of the DLC. It's about damn time they released it.

Dark Stalkers said:
I thought D2D refused to carry steamworks titles.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/5...ent-Back-On-Decision-To-Sell-Modern-Warfare-2

In short, Uhrman said it was due to Direct2Drive's users that caused them to reverse its decision, saying, "We asked our customer base and they told us they weren't concerned whether a game came with a third-party client or not. And we listen to our customers." That would seem to leave things open for other Steam exclusive games showing up on Direct2Drive as well. When asked if that was going to happen Uhrman responded with, "Future titles will be decided on a publisher by publisher basis."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom