• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Xater said:
What does Left 4 Dead cost in the US? I heard I can get it uncut if someone just gifts me an uncut version of the game. I could import but I want to know if I could save some money this way.

Hey no one can help a GAFer out here? :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did Valve upgrade their servers recently? Maybe they just added some in Japan or something, because my download speeds have dramatically improved.

I got The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition the other day and downloaded it with 8.5mb/s download speeds. I just now finally caved in and bought Sacred 2 and I am getting 5-6 mb/s. I used to almost never get more than 2mb/s from Steam before and would often get less than 1mb/s.

Is anyone else getting greatly improved DL speeds?

Edit: Obligatory Steam Calculator Post!

Account value: $1391.99

$1776.41 without packages

Fuuuuuuuck. I spend way to much on Steam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Shard said:
Call of Duty: World at War Expands with Map Pack 2
July 17, 2009, 5:33 pm - Valve - Product Update
Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 2 continues to expand the addictive COD multiplayer experience with four new maps. Battle to control the river bridge in "Banzai" a bright jungle map featuring a waterfall and hidden caves. In "Corrosion" face down your enemy in a shattered train yard, and in "Sub Pens" wipe the monsoon rain from your eyes as you struggle over a bombed-out submarine base. The Zombies return in "Shi No Numa"* (Zombie Swamp) featuring Perk machines, the deadly new Wunderwaffe DG-2, new Achievements and flaming Hell Hounds.

Map Pack 2 is now included as part of Call of Duty: World at War and will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

*Please note that map "Shi No Numa" is not available to customers in Germany.

I haven't really played much of the World at War multiplayer at all, but this is pretty cool that they are offering the maps for free on the PC. I think I might jump in and check it out.

Grimm Fandango said:
The Brothers in Arms package for $20 is damn tempting. I already own the first two on Xbox but I wouldn't mind replaying them on PC.

Bought! I was in need of some more FPS goodness for my PC. Never played any of the BIA games so I'm looking forward to these.

my theory on the Monkey Island download speeds too high: the game is badly uncompressed in the PC version (2GB vs. 500MB for the XBLA version). Of course the data transfer between the Steam servers and your client is compressed. Normally it should not make much difference, since game install packages are already compressed and decompress while installing. But MI being not compressed at all beneficts from the compressed file transfer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there any way to delete a game itself from your hard drive while retaining your game data? E.g, settings, and especially save games.

Doytch

AstroLad said:
Is there any way to delete a game itself from your hard drive while retaining your game data? E.g, settings, and especially save games.

Doesn't it do this automatically? Just checking the stuff I don't have installed, the save games/settings are still there. At least, BG&E, Stalker, TQ and Psychonauts.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Doytch said:
Doesn't it do this automatically? Just checking the stuff I don't have installed, the save games/settings are still there. At least, BG&E, Stalker, TQ and Psychonauts.
Did you delete them via "Delete Local Content"? If so I'm set. If I lose a save game here or there no big deal.

Doytch

AstroLad said:
Did you delete them via "Delete Local Content"? If so I'm set. If I lose a save game here or there no big deal.

Yeah I do it through Steam. Maaaybe I did one through Add/Remove, but I usually do it through Steam's "Delete local content" (which I'm fairly certain hooks into Windows' add/remove anyway).

AstroLad said:
Alot of games outside of Valve games put the saves/settings in your "My Documents" folder. Depends on the game though. So if you delete the game, your stuff should still be in your "My Documents" folder.

Blizzard

Banned
AstroLad said:
I think if your settings and stuff are stored somewhere else ("Documents\My Games" for Fallout 3, or "Documents\EA Games" for Mirror's Edge), then they will be saved. Otherwise, everything in the corresponding Steam area will be deleted, including your saves, as far as I know.

*edit* Beaten because I didn't reload. And yes, I was talking about the "Delete Local Content" option.

I ended up getting Battlefront II and Republic Commando despite there being that $40 Star Wars pack out in stores. It's harder and harder for me to not buy things on Steam just for the sake of convenience, and I don't mind losing a few dollars for that sort of service.

Anyways, I have to say Republic Commando is just as good, if not better than I remember on the Xbox. It still looks pretty solid for a game from 2005, especially at 1920x1200 8X AA. I really like how it condensed the tactical-FPS feel and made it more action-oriented, while still having a CoD-like environment with tons of your own guys fighting random enemies.

PTCoakley said:
I ended up getting Battlefront II and Republic Commando despite there being that $40 Star Wars pack out in stores. It's harder and harder for me to not buy things on Steam just for the sake of convenience, and I don't mind losing a few dollars for that sort of service.

Anyways, I have to say Republic Commando is just as good, if not better than I remember on the Xbox. It still looks pretty solid for a game from 2005, especially at 1920x1200 8X AA. I really like how it condensed the tactical-FPS feel and made it more action-oriented, while still having a CoD-like environment with tons of your own guys fighting random enemies.
How did I not know republic commando was on steam?! such a great game on xbox but I never got to finish the last half of the game, my xbox dvd drive was giving up the ghost and slowly went into early retirement. Such an awesome game, why did my gaming pc have to die yesterday :(

only £6.99 on it;s own? I so need to buy it.

Oh yeah, with the xbox version I loved how you could turn your xbox into a hosting server, I use to leave it running a 8 player game server when I went out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
50% OFF ALL PARADOX GAMES
July 20, 2009, 11:50 am - Valve
The Weeklong Deal. Save 50% on any and all of the released games from Paradox Interactive through July 26th.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Paradox published King's Bounty? I never noticed that. Everyone better get it now that it is $15. It was worth it for $30, and half price is a steal. Also wish I would of saw this a few weeks ago before I picked up Sword of the Stars.

Does anyone have any impressions of Europa Universalis: Rome? I heard the game was pretty broken when it launched, but I wasn't sure if most of the issues have been fixed with the gold version. Also, has anyone played Supreme Rule 2020? I heard it was pretty dense, even compared to other Paradox game. Not sure if I have that sort of time for that type of learning curve right now.

Also, what about Elven Legacy? The screenshots remind me of King's Bounty. Might need to go check Quater to Three for some impressions.

Atari published King's Bounty in the USA, 1C published in other territories. Weird that Steam has it on Paradox's page.

Sword of the Stars: Argos Naval Yard (expansion pack) $4.49

King's Bounty: The Legend $14.99

Sword of the Stars: Ultimate Collection $14.99

Elven Legacy $14.99

Take Command - Second Manassas $4.99

Knights of Honor $7.49

Europa Universalis III Complete $14.99

Hearts of Iron 2 Complete $12.49

Prenumbra Complete - $7.49

Supreme Ruler 2020 - $9.99

EU Rome Gold Edition - $9.99

Mount and Blade - $14.99

Lame, no Victoria or Crusader Kings. At least King's Bounty is on sale, I suppose.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks!

King's Bounty is a lock-in. I highly recommend Penumbra to anyone who doesn't have it yet.

EU3 or HoI2 worth it? I realize they're turn based, but do they have multiplayer? I'd play with a buddy of mine if he got it too.

Fragamemnon said:
Atari published King's Bounty in the USA, 1C published in other territories. Weird that Steam has it on Paradox's page.

Sword of the Stars: Argos Naval Yard (expansion pack) $4.49

King's Bounty: The Legend $14.99

Sword of the Stars: Ultimate Collection $14.99

Elven Legacy $14.99

Take Command - Second Manassas $4.99

Knights of Honor $7.49

Europa Universalis III Complete $14.99

Hearts of Iron 2 Complete $12.49

Prenumbra Complete - $7.49

Supreme Ruler 2020 - $9.99
EU Rome Gold Edition - $9.99

Mount and Blade - $14.99

Lame, no Victoria or Crusader Kings. At least King's Bounty is on sale, I suppose.

whast this game about?

kuYuri

PTCoakley said:

How do you get the game to display in 1920x1200? The highest I can get is 1600x1200 on my 1080p monitor.

Big-E

Will get Kings Bounty based on the recommendations from this thread and the one before. Was going to get it a couple of weeks ago but glad I waited.

Proc

Don't forget abount mount&blade peoples. It's worth grabbing at that price imo. It'd be hard to not find $15 of fun in that game.

TheExodu5 said:
EU3 or HoI2 worth it? I realize they're turn based, but do they have multiplayer? I'd play with a buddy of mine if he got it too.

Neither game is turn-based. Paradox's line of strategy games operate in a continuous real-time mode with varying speeds, where you can speed up or slow down the pace of time elapsing depending on if there's something you need to take care of.

They have simultaneous multiplayer, but note that one game can last a very long time, so you'll want to break a game out into sessions if you go that route. Once a week works pretty good I find. If you can LAN it up it's way better since you can talk strategy while you play.

Supreme Ruler 2020 is a huge "monster" style modern geopolitical strategy game. I didn't care for it much, but that's because it seemed really fiddly and I tried it out at a bad time and probably didn't give it a fair shake. That being said, I would highly suggest playing the demo first, especially given what $10 can buy you in PC land nowadays.

kamspy

Proc said:
Is prenumbra complete worth owning? Lucasarts has me on an adventure game kick, looks tempting at that price.

Do you have a good set of cans and a dark room to play in?

If so, buy now.

Proc

TheExodu5 said:
Very worth it.

kamspy said:
Do you have a good set of cans and a dark room to play in?

If so, buy now.

Well that settles it. I'm living in my parents basement (just finished up university) and have a pair of senn 590s. I guess I'm all over this.

Steam deals are insane. I've seen overture for $4.99 at walmart, but not the black plague for that cheap.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Neither game is turn-based. Paradox's line of strategy games operate in a continuous real-time mode with varying speeds, where you can speed up or slow down the pace of time elapsing depending on if there's something you need to take care of.

They have simultaneous multiplayer, but note that one game can last a very long time, so you'll want to break a game out into sessions if you go that route. Once a week works pretty good I find. If you can LAN it up it's way better since you can talk strategy while you play.

Supreme Ruler 2020 is a huge "monster" style modern geopolitical strategy game. I didn't care for it much, but that's because it seemed really fiddly and I tried it out at a bad time and probably didn't give it a fair shake. That being said, I would highly suggest playing the demo first, especially given what $10 can buy you in PC land nowadays.

Thanks for the infu on HoI and EU. Are both worth owning? Or are they just reskins of each other?

I've been playing Civ4 with my friend and having fun. Oh, and we're on Ventrilo all the time, so we're in constant vocal communication. Almost as good as LAN. :)

dionysus

Yaldog
EUIII is strategy gaming bliss. I believe there is an excellent LTTP thread on it if you want more discussion,
by yours truly.
I haven't ever played HoI2.

kamspy

Proc said:
Well that settles it. I'm living in my parents basement (just finished up university) and have a pair of senn 590s. I guess I'm all over this.

Steam deals are insane. I've seen overture for $4.99 at walmart, but not the black plague for that cheap.

As long as you don't mind a very deliberate pace, you're in for a real treat.

TheExodu5

Banned
By the way, anyone know what price Hearts of Iron III will launch at? I know someone said they'd recommend against HoI2 since HoI3 is coming out so soon...but if it means the difference in between $12.50 and $50, then I'd just start off with HoI2 to see if I like it.

Is HoI3 going to be radically different?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pre-purchase East India Company - get the DLC, Pirate Bay, for free!
July 20, 2009, 12:28 pm - Valve
Paradox Interactive and Nitro Games anticipated Naval Strategy game East India Company is available for pre-purchase on Steam. Buy before the release on July 31st and get the Downloadable Content, Pirate Bay absolutely free.

TheExodu5 said:
Thanks!

King's Bounty is a lock-in. I highly recommend Penumbra to anyone who doesn't have it yet.

EU3 isn't really about the multiplayer, its far too long a game for that to be at all feasible for most. Absolutely worth the price though, its incredible once you get into it.

Its not really turn based either, its real time but you can pause at any time and take as long as you want.

I so, so want King's Bounty but my bank account is dry. :( Why does it only ever go on sale when I'm flat out broke?

Heck, I'd snap up Mount & Blade and HOI2 whilst I'm at it if I could, this sale is awesome, just terrible timing for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I might end up buying The Pendrumbra set, but the thing is I am already quite backlogged on Steam, especally after buying that MumboJumbo Package.

dani_dc

Been wanting to play Europa Universalis III for some time and this looks like a good chance.

Still decided to try the demo first and it took me a good 15 minutes to start, that and after I did start the game didn't unpause so the only thing I could do was mess around the menus.

Is the game as slow as the demo to open, and is the Steam demo supposed to be "Pause" all the time?

Click on the date in EU3 to unpause the game. EU3 starts out paused if I recall because (like any good strategy game) you've got a good bit to set up before the game "starts", with grabbing advisors and sliders and what not.

No idea about how the Steam versions run, I always used retail or gamersgate stuff for Paradox's games.

Dreavus

Mount and Blade is included here? Nice! I was kicking myself for missing it the last time it was on sale and I've been waiting for another chance. I'll probably pick it up later in the week. :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Proc said:
Is prenumbra complete worth owning? Lucasarts has me on an adventure game kick, looks tempting at that price.

God Yes

And... I'm thinking of getting Hearts of Iron just to have it. i dont know if ill play it that much since HoI 3 is coming in 2 weeks and I have a lot on my plate now. Steam is going to bankrupt me, fuuuuuuck. I know im getting King's Bounty for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom