• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Account value: $99.99

$209.83 without packages

This is what I bought
Counter Strike
Orange Box
L4D

Orange Box, 15$
L4D, 15$...or 20$. Forgot the amazon sale price
Counter Strike, 5$

:lol

MrNyarlathotep said:
Here was I hoping this thread had been bumped because of some announcements, updates, or WIN, when really its just people posting what some other website reckons your account is worth.

:(

Here was I hoping this thread had been bumped because of some announcements, updates, or WIN, when really its just a guy complaining about people posting what some other website reckons your account is worth.

Xater

What does Left 4 Dead cost in the US? I heard I can get it uncut if someone just gifts me an uncut version of the game. I could import but I want to know if I could save some money this way.

TheExodu5

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Here was I hoping this thread had been bumped because of some announcements, updates, or WIN, when really its just a guy complaining about people posting what some other website reckons your account is worth.

Here was I hoping this thread had been bumped because of some announcements, updates, or WIN, when really its just a guy complaining about a guy complaining about people posting what some other website reckons your account is worth.

BeeDog said:
# Username: His Dudeness
# Steam member since: November 16, 2004
# Last calculation: July 16, 2009

Account value: $279.9

$389.71 without packages

Welp.

I see you created your account the day HL2 came out. :D

Bliddo

Username: Bleed
Custom URL: bleed
Steam member since: February 28, 2004
Last calculation: July 16, 2009
Account value: $544.79

$999.27 without packages

woa

Username: Ninja Kn1ght
Custom URL: ninja_kn1ght
Steam member since: March 08, 2007
Last calculation: July 16, 2009
ACCOUNT VALUE: $579.78

$1009.26 without packages

Not too bad considering I haven't played a PC game in months and don't currently own any good windows machine.

Volcynika

Sniper Elite on Steam, save 10% if you purchase before July 23rd

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3700/

And Aion stuffs

NCSoft is making their beautiful new MMO, Aion™ available for pre-purchase today on Steam.

Steam purchasers have the privilege of choosing Aion Standard Edition or Aion Collector's Edition.

In addition to being able to play the Aion beta for free until the full version launches on September 22 (and 25th in Europe) each version comes with additional pre-purchase incentives such as:
- 7 additional days of game time - allowing 37 total days of play time when the full game releases
- Special in-game bonus items including:
- Attribute boosting hat
- Experience boosting talisman
- Exclusive special effects ring (water)

Steam players who purchase the Aion Collector's Edition also receive these additional in-game items:
- Black Cloud Wings which give 40 seconds of additional flight time
- Black Cloud Earring which gives an HP and an MP boost
- Special character title, "Pioneer of Aion", with stat boost
- Color dye to tint one in-game item
- Two character emotes - Disco Emote and Samba Emote

Standard: http://store.steampowered.com/app/29640/
Collector's: http://store.steampowered.com/app/29650/

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I remember playing Sniper Elite on Xbox and it was surprisingly awesome, freeform and tough. I can only assume it's better on PC, anyone played it?

Stackboy

Bought the Heroes of Might and Magic Pack when it was the steam special a few weekends back and I can't stop playing HOMM5, really excellent game.

ArjanN

Musashi Wins! said:
I remember playing Sniper Elite on Xbox and it was surprisingly awesome, freeform and tough. I can only assume it's better on PC, anyone played it?

Yeah, the PC version is better. The graphics are better and the game is all about precise aiming which obviously works better with the mouse.

Remember to set the difficulty/realism to the maximum.
The bullet trajectory is affected by wind, distance, the coriolis effect...

The best sniping in a game ever. Kind of disturbing to shoot a guy in the stomach, so his buddy comes out and tries to drag him to safety. Then you shoot them both. Like that scene in Full Metal Jacket.

Oh, and the killcam is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVVK5m-VqRo&feature=related

kamspy

ArjanN said:
Yeah, the PC version is better. The graphics are better and the game is all about precise aiming which obviously works better with the mouse.

Remember to set the difficulty/realism to the maximum.
The bullet trajectory is affected by wind, distance, the coriolis effect...

The best sniping in a game ever. Kind of disturbing to shoot a guy in the stomach, so his buddy comes out and tries to drag him to safety. Then you shoot them both. Like that scene in Full Metal Jacket.

Oh, and the killcam is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVVK5m-VqRo&feature=related

There went $8.99.

You'd better be right bub. :|

I'm fully expecting the SWAT 4 of sniping games.

ArjanN

kamspy said:
There went $8.99.

You'd better be right bub. :|

I'm fully expecting the SWAT 4 of sniping games.

That's not a bad comparison, it feels very realistic like SWAT 4. It also felt a bit like Hitman.

It takes some getting used to though, for example I realized only very late you can set the timer on the time bombs.

Some tips:
- You can sometimes cover the sound of your gunfire with background noise, like thunder or bombings.
- grenades have a realistic kill range (depends on your settings though) that means way larger than in most games.
- enemies are alerted by sound, so once you fire, you'll often be swarmed. Often it's a good idea to reposition after firing.
- also you can set the tripwire mines to cover your back because when you're sniping it easy to miss some dude coming from behind.
- Go prone a lot and use your binoculars.

Also, the game is hard. Like, european developed PC game hard. But the hardest difficulty is also the most rewarding.

Let me know what you think of it.

Costanza

Banned
I emailed Gabe about this post I made last week:

Costanza said:
When I changed my address a few weeks ago and used the same debit card I always use, Steam put an automatic flag on my account for "fraud". So last week I emailed in, they fixed it, I bought the 2K Mega Pack and figured I wouldn't have to deal with this again.

Till today when I went to buy the Indiana Jones games. "Card has been declined."

Now they tell me there's no way for them to permanently remove the flag, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to buy something, I have to send an email to support and wait for a reply so they can temporarily lift the hold. This is ridiculous and doesn't even make any sense. I have such horrible luck with digital distribution.
and instead of replying to me, he just merged it with my existing support ticket and I got the same canned response back from Support that the "system is automated" and they couldn't do anything, A WEEK LATER. So, I emailed them back, asking if they could create a new account from me and transfer my licenses over.. answer is no. Nothing they can do.

This isn't my fault, it's their fucking error that they're making no effort to fix and please a very regular customer with an account valued at $844 who only wants to EASILY BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THINGS FROM THEM.

I'm done with Steam unless this gets fixed. The only thing I will buy in the future is L4D2. All my other business will go to direct2drive, GOG, or Impulse.

sorry to vent, this just really frustrates me.

Costanza

Banned
azentium said:
They don't have a customer support line, but they do have a phone number for their office:

Telephone:
425-889-9642
seems like that is a line for Valve's development stuidio, and if I call, I bet they'll just forward whatever I have to say to steam support and I'll get nowhere.

ugh. I guess I could file a report with the Washington BBB. should at least get someone higher up in the steam division to contact me. It's not wrong that I want this to be fixed, right?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Costanza said:
seems like that is a line for Valve's development stuidio, and if I call, I bet they'll just forward whatever I have to say to steam support and I'll get nowhere.

ugh. I guess I could file a report with the Washington BBB. should at least get someone higher up in the steam division to contact me. It's not wrong that I want this to be fixed, right?

Do it, man. I love Steam but that's some straight bullshit.

Baha

Brothers in Arms Pack is the steam weekend deal. It's a pretty weak deal as you only save $5 if you buy them all separately.

[EDIT] Actually you save $30, dunno why they say you only save $5
Individual price $24.97
Package price $49.97
Weekend Deal -$29.98

Cost to you $19.99
You Save $4.98

Costanza

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Whoa whoa, I'm moving in a month, so when I do does this mean if I use my Credit Card they'll give me shit for it?
Last time I moved this wasn't a problem. I can't think of anything else that would've triggered it though

Mrbob

Yeah I might be moving too in the next month or so. Makes me a bit worried.

Safest thing might be to keep your credit card info on file the same for the time being.

Costanza said:
They should be able to forward you to a humanoid at Steam. If not just ask if you can make an appointment with someone at that department to explain your situation.

Blizzard

Banned
Costanza said:

and instead of replying to me, he just merged it with my existing support ticket and I got the same canned response back from Support that the "system is automated" and they couldn't do anything, A WEEK LATER. So, I emailed them back, asking if they could create a new account from me and transfer my licenses over.. answer is no. Nothing they can do.

This isn't my fault, it's their fucking error that they're making no effort to fix and please a very regular customer with an account valued at $844 who only wants to EASILY BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THINGS FROM THEM.

I'm done with Steam unless this gets fixed. The only thing I will buy in the future is L4D2. All my other business will go to direct2drive, GOG, or Impulse.

I'm sorry to hear that. I like Steam a lot, but if I ever have something like that happen and it's not my fault (either a random VAC ban trigger or a permanent credit card flag because I moved), then I might drop it pretty much for good. It seems to work very well until you have a problem, upon which you find that the agreement you signed threatens legal action if you even ask (in the case of VAC bans) or that their customer support is SOLELY email/online-based, and in your case, apparently terrible.

rabhw

Costanza said:

This EXACT same issue happened to me, except with a Paypal account instead of a credit card. I ended up just making a new account (there was only HL2 and CS:S on the account with the "hold" put on it.)

But yeah, exact same issue and I got tired of having to email support so they can lift the hold, I buy the game, and then my next purchase the exact same thing happened again. It's ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Costanza said:
Hmm, would "Failure to correct billing errors" be the right category for my BBB complaint?
sounds precisely right.

I would complain to them at the same time as you notify steam you are complaining about them to the BBB. I bet you get responses. They probably have google style scanners on that shit.

EDIT: I had something similar.

PAYPAL are so FUCK RETARDED that they can't understand that somebody might move country. Every single paypal purchase I ever make I must ensure the person knows that I live in the Netherlands and not new zealand as you can't change your COUNTRY in Paypal.

Fucking redneck invented that system I swear to god and I hope he gets ass cancer in his mums bum. Same goes for the helpdesk team leader that is in charge of throwing my support requests directly in the toilet

rabhw said:
This EXACT same issue happened to me, except with a Paypal account instead of a credit card. I ended up just making a new account (there was only HL2 and CS:S on the account with the "hold" put on it.)

But yeah, exact same issue and I got tired of having to email support so they can lift the hold, I buy the game, and then my next purchase the exact same thing happened again. It's ridiculous.

Can you use another card or is it as lock on payment from any source of funding?

rabhw

gregor7777 said:
Can you use another card or is it as lock on payment from any source of funding?

Honestly I'm not sure, since the only way I ever tried buying games on that account was via paypal...

I still have all of the emails / tickets that I created complaining about this, although I never got as detailed a response as costanza got. Each time I emailed complaining that it happens every time, they'd just remove the hold without acknowledging my complaints about having to do this ridiculous process every time (I'd have to email them back my name, address and some credit card info etc.)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My account value is about $309, $509 without packages, but that is pretty seriously inflated without taking into account what I actually paid for the games. Bejeweled, Heavy Weapon, Reaxxion, and Peggle all only cost me a buck, for instance, but they tally in that calculator as $9.99.

Costanza

Banned
dygiT said:
You're going to get the same shit they've been giving you this whole time unless you threaten to take action.
I dunno, filing a BBB report IS taking action IMO. Most companies take their rating on there VERY seriously.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Family Gaming Sale on Steam!
July 17, 2009, 1:20 pm - Valve - General Announcement
With a slew of new games from several partners, today Steam is announcing the launch of the Family Gaming genre. Save up to and over 50% on select titles! Including six Nancy Drew games from new Steam partner Her Interactive and six new collections from Sandlot Games.

Your kids will thank you. No kids? No problem. There are some seriously fun
games you won't be afraid to admit that you love. (Super Granny anyone?)

Check out the fancy Steam Family Games Sale page.

Weekend Deal - Brothers in Arms 50-60% off!
July 17, 2009, 12:08 pm - Valve - General Announcement
This weekend only, save 50% on any of the Brothers in Arms games, including the latest critical hit, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.

Or buy them all together in the Brothers in Arms Pack and save a total of 60%!

Costanza said:
Does Valve have a phone number? I'm thinking that could get me results.

Hey man,

This is what I would do. Private Message BurtonJ. He is a Valve employee on the forums. I have spoken with him a few times about the lack of Valve support. They are getting better but this is definitely one area they are not. He said that if anyone has any issues with the support to message him directly. Also, I know you are aware so please forgive me for saying but Paypal works fine for me and I use to have the same exact issue you are having. I had to email them 6 times and it never fully was fixed. Since using Paypal I have never had another issue with them.

Also, FYI for anyone. If you ever have a problem with a purchase don't do a chargeback with Valve. I have known a few who have done so and their accounts are disabled/ are unable to purchase games from Valve again. So just an FYI.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
LovingSteam said:
Also, FYI for anyone. If you ever have a problem with a purchase don't do a chargeback with Valve. I have known a few who have done so and their accounts are disabled/ are unable to purchase games from Valve again. So just an FYI.

So, if they screw up something, and I deny them payment, are they locking me off from the games I've already purchased? Because if so, F Steam.

Musashi Wins! said:
So, if they screw up something, and I deny them payment, are they locking me off from the games I've already purchased? Because if so, F Steam.

It's possible. However if its just the case of having access to the games you already have purchased then all it would take is an email to Valve. A buddy of mind who had 400+ games had his account totally disabled however he never was truly honest with me on why. He said his dad filed for bankruptcy and since he used his fathers cc to purchase games, some of those games were charged back, thereby having Valve disable the account. He emailed Valve and then just gave up. He hasn't signed in in more than a year. So I am thinking he was doing something iffy. The times I have contacted individuals directly, be it Gabe or Burton, I have been satisfied every time. So its most likely just not being able to purchase any more games. But again that may have changed as I know Valve was trying to work on their customer service.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Call of Duty: World at War Expands with Map Pack 2
July 17, 2009, 5:33 pm - Valve - Product Update
Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 2 continues to expand the addictive COD multiplayer experience with four new maps. Battle to control the river bridge in "Banzai" a bright jungle map featuring a waterfall and hidden caves. In "Corrosion" face down your enemy in a shattered train yard, and in "Sub Pens" wipe the monsoon rain from your eyes as you struggle over a bombed-out submarine base. The Zombies return in "Shi No Numa"* (Zombie Swamp) featuring Perk machines, the deadly new Wunderwaffe DG-2, new Achievements and flaming Hell Hounds.

Map Pack 2 is now included as part of Call of Duty: World at War and will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

*Please note that map "Shi No Numa" is not available to customers in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom