• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, you say EU3 isn't really feasible in multiplayer, but I'd like a few more specifics.

My buddy and I have no problem playing Civ4 multiplayer...is this really much less feasible than that is? We have no problem spreading a game over multiple sessions.

Proc

_tetsuo_ said:
Steam is going to bankrupt me, fuuuuuuck.

Honestly, it may be the opposite. Sure you might bite on a few sales every month, but if you're like me, you've started buying much less full priced games. The game has to be dripping with appeal for me to buy a game on day 1 these days. Steam has the cheap ass gamer's back and I love them for that.

I just tried the EU3 demo. Damn that game is above me lol. I want to give it more of a fair shake though, so we'll see if I buy it by week's end.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TheExodu5 said:
Alright, you say EU3 isn't really feasible in multiplayer, but I'd like a few more specifics.

My buddy and I have no problem playing Civ4 multiplayer...is this really much less feasible than that is? We have no problem spreading a game over multiple sessions.

If you pick it up I'll try it out with you guys :lol

Honestly, it may be the opposite. Sure you might bite on a few sales every month, but if you're like me, you've started buying much less full priced games. The game has to be dripping with appeal for me to buy a game on day 1 these days. Steam has the cheap ass gamer's back and I love them for that.

Actually this is pretty much true. I dont ever want to buy anything, I just wait for Steam deals. My game spending is going pretty well since I haven't bought a console game since.... Sacred 2 I think. It's funny because very recently I was hoping that Steam would put Paradox's line on sale. It's a bad thing though because by weeks end I know ill have purchased like 3 or 4 games :(

TheExodu5 said:

That's the key to playing EU3 in multiplayer, and it's very feasible if played that way IMO.

Yaweee

dani_dc said:
Been wanting to play Europa Universalis III for some time and this looks like a good chance.

Still decided to try the demo first and it took me a good 15 minutes to start, that and after I did start the game didn't unpause so the only thing I could do was mess around the menus.

Is the game as slow as the demo to open, and is the Steam demo supposed to be "Pause" all the time?

Space bar pauses and unpauses the game. You can click on the +/- to increase or decrease the game speed, with the highest speed having a year equate to a little over a minute.

As for the game pausing, there are pretty extensive options as to what events pause the game, which only bring a popup, and which only appear in the log. Somethings (like rebel units or declarations of war) you'll want the game to pause when they happen, while others you can let slide with a popup. It's all player controlled.

There's an options menu with all those settings, or you can just right click on a popup to change its settings.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Indie Physics Puzzle Game Bad Rats Now Available
July 20, 2009, 3:29 pm - Valve - Product Release
The indie physics puzzle game Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge is now available via Steam. Use your specially trained rats to solve challenging puzzles and get bloody revenge on the cats.

Plus, try to unlock all 13 Steam Achievements including the ultra-challenging Master Super Fast Thinker.

Clutch Now Available on Steam
July 20, 2009, 4:41 pm - Valve
In Clutch you get to drive a bad-ass weaponized car around a city full of blood-thirsty zombie pedestrians!

Dude.

Druz

TheExodu5 said:

Don't listen to Brainstew... EU3 multilayer is awesome. I'll have to try and organize a GAF game one day.

I bought the game for $10 but its one of the most addicting games I've ever played, and I've played them all. Pumped for HoI3 next month.

Doytch

Honestly, I don't see why you'd get EU3 on Steam if you're in the States. Amazon has it cheaper, and it includes a code to get a digital version from GamersGate for redownloads. And the Steam version has been running behind on patches, unless they fixed it.

Druz

Doytch said:
Honestly, I don't see why you'd get EU3 on Steam if you're in the States. Amazon has it cheaper, and it includes a code to get a digital version from GamersGate for redownloads. And the Steam version has been running behind on patches, unless they fixed it.

You can patch the using the beta patch on the steam version, so there really isn't much of a difference.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Volcynika said:
Weekend deals are named as such for a reason!

You're still a nub!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I thought maybe I would get lucky haha. Damn that was a freaking good deal... dammit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If I want my games to be installed to D: is this possible? Or must I remove steam and install again to D:? I don't see that option and I'm filling up my 50Gb C: real fast while the 600gb sits there waving at me and looking lonely.

Also, can i MOVE what I already have across?

Davidion

RUN NOT WALK TO BUY KING'S BOUNTY NOW

I also am interested in purchasing Mount & Blade

Davidion said:

I also am interested in purchasing Mount & Blade

I got Mount & Blade for $8 on Steam from some sale awhile back, many love it, but i just couldn't get into it, it's almost too open ended. The combat rules, but the game feels so directionless.

Davidion

MrCompletely said:
I got Mount & Blade for $8 on Steam from some sale awhile back, many love it, but i just couldn't get into it, it's almost too open ended. The combat rules, but the game feels so directionless.

I did get that vibe as well. I'm a bit on the fence over it to be honest with you.

Have you tried any of the mods that are out there?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
catfish said:
If I want my games to be installed to D: is this possible? Or must I remove steam and install again to D:? I don't see that option and I'm filling up my 50Gb C: real fast while the 600gb sits there waving at me and looking lonely.

Just back up your Steamapps folder and reinstall Steam, then place the old steamapps folder into the new Steam directory and should work, I've backed up the folder myself without any issues.

TheExodu5

Banned
MrCompletely said:

Same here. Couldn't get into it at all.

Doytch said:

I'm in Canada for one. Second, I find GamersGate downloads to be unbearebly slow. Three, I like having all my games in one place, and Steam makes it incredibly easy to redownload titles.

catfish said:

What are you doing with a 50GB drive? That's like enough to fit two games. =\

As for your question, no sadly there's no option to install games to a different drive. Copy your entire Steam folder to your D: drive, and re-run the Steam reinstaller and tell it to install there. It should work then.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
What are you doing with a 50GB drive? That's like enough to fit two games. =\

As for your question, no sadly there's no option to install games to a different drive. Copy your entire Steam folder to your D: drive, and re-run the Steam reinstaller and tell it to install there. It should work then.

c: is 50Gb partition... it's windows 7 and the thinking was to have a partition with no data that I want to keep on that partition so when the re-install comes I can do it easily. Will need to re-install programs but that isn't hard.

The difficulty is steam, which I didn't account for wanting to dump things on C: now I have crysis and TF2 and the C is 40Gb already :/

Druz said:
Don't listen to Brainstew... EU3 multilayer is awesome. I'll have to try and organize a GAF game one day.

I bought the game for $10 but its one of the most addicting games I've ever played, and I've played them all. Pumped for HoI3 next month.

I've no doubt the multiplayer is awesome but I doubt there's many that have the patience, free time and equaly keen friends that are happy to share a 100 hour multiplayer game with them. I sure don't, and I doubt many others do either, so for most you'd buy it as a single player game, with multiplayer as a possible bonus.

If you've got a close friend that is free at the same time perirods and is into the game as much as you, then, yeah, multiplayer is sure to be a blast.

catfish said:

Backup your steamapps folder.

Uninstall, then install Steam in D:

Copy over your Steamapps folder to your new Steam installation.

Boot Steam and let it do its magic. Note you can do this to install your Steam games on any computer or HDD in the future.

TheExodu5

Banned
brain_stew said:
I've no doubt the multiplayer is awesome but I doubt there's many that have the patience, free time and equaly keen friends that are happy to share a 100 hour multiplayer game with them. I sure don't, and I doubt many others do either, so for most you'd buy it as a single player game, with multiplayer as a possible bonus.

If you've got a close friend that is free at the same time perirods and is into the game as much as you, then, yeah, multiplayer is sure to be a blast.

Do games really last 100 hours? :eek:

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So really, how's King's Bounty play out like? I'm trying to watch the videos on the website, but they're takings AGES to load.

Zachack

Lyphen said:
So really, how's King's Bounty play out like? I'm trying to watch the videos on the website, but they're takings AGES to load.
Check Youtube for videos of the Genesis (or old PC) version of King's Bounty. The new one plays like an advanced version of that. Some people will say it's like HOMM but while HOMM was born out of the original King's Bounty the HOMM campaign strategy is a lot different and gives a very different feel to the game, even if the combat is very similar.

If you've played HOMM I'd describe King's Bounty as Diablo/Titan's Quest merged with HOMM (but not as awesome as that sounds, even though it's still good).

Lyphen said:

Turn based grid battles with sets of unit types represented by a character on the grid. Colorful overworld with visible enemies and loot.

Lyphen said:

Think something like Heroes of Might and Magic. But at the top level HoMM had more of a "board game" feel to it while King's Bounty is more of a traditional RPG. Or, put another way, HoMM has a very PvP feel to it even when playing singleplayer (not much story, AI opponents work like Civ IV opponents) while King's Bounty has a much more PvE feel to it (no other heroes moving about the map, lots of quests).

Sometimes I feel the battles in King's Bounty get a little repetitive, but it has a really good "one more turn / quest / level" vibe to it. I might have been a little disappointed for $50, but since I nabbed it for $10 in a previous sale I would call it a steal. Very recommended for RPG / turn-based strat. fans.

Javaman

Lyphen said:

It's very similar to HOMM (which I believe were based on the earlier KB) except you have one hero and it has much more RPG elements to his growth. Battles are grid/turn based and exploring the map (looting random pickups etc.) are done in real time. You can avoid encounters by running from enemies on the map.

Oli

Out of curiosity, out of the current Lucas Arts Adventure titles on steam, which one is the best buy? i.e. longest, most challenging, most fun, etc.

I haven't played many old adventure games in my day, and I'd like to know which one would be a good place to jump in.

mclem

Oli said:
Out of curiosity, out of the current Lucas Arts Adventure titles on steam, which one is the best buy? i.e. longest, most challenging, most fun, etc.

I haven't played many old adventure games in my day, and I'd like to know which one would be a good place to jump in.
Fate of Atlantis, I'd say. Good replay value, too, unusually for a point-n-click adventure.

MNC

brain_stew said:
Backup your steamapps folder.

Uninstall, then install Steam in D:

Copy over your Steamapps folder to your new Steam installation.

Boot Steam and let it do its magic. Note you can do this to install your Steam games on any computer or HDD in the future.
Interesting thing:

All you need is the original steam.exe and steam will redownload every file necessary.

Javaman

Oli said:

It might be worth waiting for the inevitable combo pack. They hinted at it before releasing games on steam but there's no telling how long it'll take though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sounds nifty. I haven't played HOMM, but I do love turn based tactics games, and the Fire Emblem series. And for the fast-food combo price it's going at, I might aswell dive in. Thanks guys.

Flib

Lyphen said:
Sounds nifty. I haven't played HOMM, but I do love turn based tactics games, and the Fire Emblem series. And for the fast-food combo price it's going at, I might aswell dive in. Thanks guys.

The campaign is also incredibly long. You're getting a huge amount of gaming value.

Tenks

Flib said:
The campaign is also incredibly long. You're getting a huge amount of gaming value.

Is it better than HOMM? HOMM was fun, for a while, but it's turned into "Hit enter a million times to get an army large enough to win -- repeat next campaign"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Tenks said:
Is it better than HOMM? HOMM was fun, for a while, but it's turned into "Hit enter a million times to get an army large enough to win -- repeat next campaign"

Well King's Bounty is not turn based (at least on the world map) and your unit count is capped by your leadership skill so you never sit around waiting to fill up your army.

Tenks

Sinatar said:
Well King's Bounty is not turn based (at least on the world map) and your unit count is capped by your leadership skill so you never sit around waiting to fill up your army.

OK good so it is different enough that it won't feel like the same thing. Great I'll probably dl/play it tonight then.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix Update Released
July 21, 2009, 1:50 pm - Valve
Updates to Puzzle Quest: Galactrix have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix

Fixed a bug that caused random crashes/performance issues on certain computers

You can now use PSI points to avoid the Hacking game

Made some stability improvements were made to the Mini-game intro menus

Fixed an issue where the Inventory wouldn't be closed when entering a system from Galaxy map that could cause problems accessing the Inventory

Fixed an FX bug which manifested as random crashes in battle

Druz

brain_stew said:

Save/Load is your friend

Volcynika

Shard said:
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix Update Released
July 21, 2009, 1:50 pm - Valve
Updates to Puzzle Quest: Galactrix have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix

Fixed a bug that caused random crashes/performance issues on certain computers

You can now use PSI points to avoid the Hacking game

Made some stability improvements were made to the Mini-game intro menus

Fixed an issue where the Inventory wouldn't be closed when entering a system from Galaxy map that could cause problems accessing the Inventory

Fixed an FX bug which manifested as random crashes in battle

ctrl+f "fixed shitty multiplayer setup"

0 results found.

:/

Based on the past couple of pages, getting ready to order me some of these Paradox games.

Right now in my cart I have:

King's Bounty
Penumbra Collector Pack
EU III Complete

Is Sword of the Stars any good? I was thinking about getting Sins of a Solar Empire soon, as that looks right up my alley. This seems like a good deal though.

Also thinking about Mount and Blade... fucking Steam is taking all my monies.

Lothars

MisterAnderson said:
Based on the past couple of pages, getting ready to order me some of these Paradox games.

Right now in my cart I have:

King's Bounty
Penumbra Collector Pack
EU III Complete

Is Sword of the Stars any good? I was thinking about getting Sins of a Solar Empire soon, as that looks right up my alley. This seems like a good deal though.

Also thinking about Mount and Blade... fucking Steam is taking all my monies.

I would definitely recommend to order Mount and Blade, myself I will definitely pick up King's Bounty and possibly Sword of the Stars but I don't know about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom