• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big B

Hey guys, I'm considering getting Steam so I can buy Mass Effect and Fallout3 without the secuROM from retail CDs.

However, I'm quite suspicious of anything that require you to download a client to be able to play, and I've also heard how Steam installs random stuff in your registries. I... really don't want things in my precious computer. :(

So should I try Steam? thanks for any advice/help.

Kosma

Banned
Steam is pretty safe mayne, but you know you can get Mass Effect and Fallout 3 a lot cheaper at retail (in Europe at least its like half the price!!!).

Also wait for October with buying Fallout, you can get the GOTY edition then which includes all the DLC.

Shard said:
Yea so FUEL has finally been released on to the Steam Store for a price of 40 USD,

Finally! But it uses Sony DADC SecuROM. I am not fully aware of the anti-piracy mechanims. What are the restrictions? Do I have unlimited installs?

benjipwns

Banned
Update for the best game on Steam you probably don't own.
Defense Grid: The Awakening Update Released
July 23, 2009, 4:56 pm - Valve - Product Update
Updates to Defense Grid: The Awakening have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Updates

The game pauses on a new level until you place the first tower (or right click the mouse) to allow you to look over it and plan your strategy

Added alien health bars with an option to turn them on and off in Settings menu

Adjusted the difficulty for levels Last Stand and Waste Disposal

Changed the entrance and exit arrow colors for the Last Stand level to show which exit corresponds with aliens from which entrance

Updated various text strings for better accuracy and clearer understanding

Added an extra digit space in the resource counter to accommodate high resource count

Left Hand mouse control is now supported

Added a version number in the How to Play section

Issues Addressed

Turtles now spawn aliens even after a save when they are in a level.

The interest accrued at the end of the mission is now always included in the associated leaderboard posting.

Link to and update to the latest version of DirectX in order to address audio issues for some users

The Game tip sound no longer plays when the user turns off the game tip visual cue in the settings.

The Orbital laser is now not affected by saving or loading.

The 15 Tower challenge mode description was incorrect, it has been updated.

The meteor trails now look better at slower framerates.

The UI no longer cycles quickly while fast-forwarding.

Changed silver medal core criteria for Assessing the Threat to be consistent with other mission criteria.

Changed requirements for Siege Breaker achievement so it is now awarded.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chiaroscuro said:
Finally! But it uses Sony DADC SecuROM. I am not fully aware of the anti-piracy mechanims. What are the restrictions? Do I have unlimited installs?
Initial activation requires internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows - LIVE; software installations required including Sony DADC SecuROM, Games for Windows - LIVE. Broadband internet connection required for online play (512kbps+ recommended).

Shard said:
Initial activation requires internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows - LIVE; software installations required including Sony DADC SecuROM, Games for Windows - LIVE. Broadband internet connection required for online play (512kbps+ recommended).

Thanks, but I can read! :lol (at least the Steam page). Anyway, wikipedia served me about the matter. So it seems that some protection files still remains installed even if you delete the game...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone know if the Sierra games are the CD versions or the disk versions that were dumped in the crappy compilations released a while ago?

Also, any word on Vista64 compatibility?

firehawk12 said:
Anyone know if the Sierra games are the CD versions or the disk versions that were dumped in the crappy compilations released a while ago?

probably the crappy compilation ones. And there is note on the King's Quest pack warning about the lack of XP64/Vista support.

Crappy release, yes.

benjipwns said:
Update for the best game on Steam you probably don't own.

Shit, I finally beat this game the other day. I was stuck on the last level for a few months, came back and beat it in my first try.

Awesome game. Not a huge amount of tower types to choose from, but a very tight experience. Maps are well laid out, and for the most part challenging. Towers are fun to watch when a lot of them are firing at once.
Updates

The game pauses on a new level until you place the first tower (or right click the mouse) to allow you to look over it and plan your strategy

Changed the entrance and exit arrow colors for the Last Stand level to show which exit corresponds with aliens from which entrance

Updated various text strings for better accuracy and clearer understanding

A few great updates there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
firehawk12 said:

I think they are the CD versions. It looks like it is just a download version of the most recent compilation (same name and price too) that contained King's Quest I-VII with the CD versions when applicable. I have the DVD laying around home somewhere.

I really don't know anything about PC specs - Is the ATI Radeon X1900 better or worse than the ATI Radeon 3000 series?

I'm looking at the specs for Bionic Commando - does Steam usually list the required or recommended?

Anyone else thinking about picking it up this week? I know it had a cold reception but I think it looks pretty fun and $36 isn't too bad

Resident Guru said:
Defense Grid owns. I am in full agreement with your statement. Thanks for the heads up on the update.

Oh yeah? This game has been under my radar...downloading the demo now. Damnit it's 19.99... kind of hoping I don't like the demo so Steam won't take more of my cash...

Althane

Really trying to decide if I want to get King's Bounty, because if I do, that's the last game I'll get for months (because i've already got plenty of other games to work on...)

Have any of you guys played it? How is it? (I loved all of the HOMM series, just to note)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Space Quest Collection $14.99 (Reg. 19.99)
King's Quest Collection $14.99 (Reg. 19.99)
Timeshift $14.99 (Reg. 19.99)

All just added today, on sale till the end of the month.

Timeshift worth $15?

Oh God King's Quest, how I have been waiting so long for you to be added to Steam. My adventure gaming back catalog is so large now it is not even funny. Police Quest, Quest for Glory, Phantasmagoria, Leisure Suit Larry, and Gabriel Knight please.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Oh God King's Quest, how I have been waiting so long for you to be added to Steam. My adventure gaming back catalog is so large now it is not even funny.

Careful, it's not XP-64 or Vista compatible. (I came close to buying it today... glad I didn't)

Sinatar

Eaten By A Grue said:
Oh God King's Quest, how I have been waiting so long for you to be added to Steam. My adventure gaming back catalog is so large now it is not even funny.

Keep in mind those adventure packs are those shitty boxed sets they released to retail in 06. Most of the games are running misconfigured DOSbox confs and some don't work properly in anything but straight XP.

MisterAnderson said:
Careful, it's not XP-64 or Vista compatible. (I came close to buying it today... glad I didn't)
Oh lol, whoops. Hopefully I can run it in capability mode.

Edit:
My favorite KKVI is working in Windows 7 64-bit RC.

a4sqdz.jpg

Parham

Banned
Sinatar said:
Space Quest Collection $14.99 (Reg. 19.99)
King's Quest Collection $14.99 (Reg. 19.99)
Timeshift $14.99 (Reg. 19.99)

All just added today, on sale till the end of the month.

Timeshift worth $15?

It's a fun but ultimately forgettable experience. I'd recommend playing through the demo first before buying it.

KHarvey16

Wasn't there a team that did a complete overhaul of King's Quest 1? I have it and it runs great on Vista 64, forget the website though.

Sinatar said:
Keep in mind those adventure packs are those shitty boxed sets they released to retail in 06. Most of the games are running misconfigured DOSbox confs and some don't work properly in anything but straight XP.

I got lucky with The Dig. Didn't even think to check if it was compatible but so far it's been working fine on my Windows 7 64-bit.

Sinatar

MisterAnderson said:
I got lucky with The Dig. Didn't even think to check if it was compatible but so far it's been working fine on my Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm referring to the 2 adventure packs added today (KQ and SQ), all the Lucasarts stuff actually had some effort put in. LA programmed their own in house emulator to run them that works with just about everything.

The SQ and KQ packs are just a shitty Activision cash grab.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I died in Police Quest so many times. Also taught me how to play poker when I was like five though so it balances out.

Sinatar

AstroLad said:
I died in Police Quest so many times. Also taught me how to play poker when I was like five though so it balances out.

The best way to die in police quest: Type "Shoot gun" without typing "Draw gun" first. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sinatar said:
The best way to die in police quest: Type "Shoot gun" without typing "Draw gun" first. :lol
Oh man I remember you used to have to inspect your car (walk all around it) every time before you took it out too. Can't believe I actually beat that game.

Eaten By A Grue said:

Nice, it's even using the old version of DOSBox it was packaged with when Vivendi shoved the compilation out the door a couple years back. Love the games but because of the carelesness in putting these packages together I'll reject them on principle (until the inevitable 50-75% off Steam sales make a hypocrite out of me.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have the disc version of the King's Quest compilation and I haven't had any problems running V, VI and VII on the 64bit version of Vista.

Sinatar said:
And this is why I never really grew to love Sierra adventure games. For a genre that requires constant random experimentation, punishing the player with death for every single little wrong choice is fucking annoying.

Space Quest despite that, is a pretty wicked series however.

Sierra adventure games (King's Quest to be specific) were the first I ever experienced in the genre so I just assumed it was the norm. I also played the first Legend of Kyrandia game and some of the Quest for Glory games around that game, so I was very surprised to discover that death wasn't a big part of the Lucasarts games when I played them much later.

Well fuck me running. Defense Grid is fucking fun. Does that game ever get any sale treatment on Steam? It's $19.99...and I'm willing to pay it, but it would be so much sweeter if I could get it for like $10 or $15.

Edit: Is it just me or is Patrick Stewart the AI voice?

Zefah said:
I have the disc version of the King's Quest compilation and I haven't had any problems running V, VI and VII on the 64bit version of Vista.
Really, you are not getting an error running it saying it can't run on a x64 OS?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eaten By A Grue said:
Really, you are not getting an error running it saying it can't run on a x64 OS?

I'll double check on King's Quest VII when I get home, but I am certain that V and VI worked just fine because I played through both of them a few months ago.

TheExodu5

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Well fuck me running. Defense Grid is fucking fun. Does that game ever get any sale treatment on Steam? It's $19.99...and I'm willing to pay it, but it would be so much sweeter if I could get it for like $10 or $15.

It's been on sale 2 or 3 times, I believe.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:

It was like $4.99 a couple of months ago, I think. I bought the game and I doubt I would have bought it for over that price. It is pretty fun, though. It's definitely one of the best in the tower defense genre.

Javaman

gregor7777 said:
Shit, I finally beat this game the other day. I was stuck on the last level for a few months, came back and beat it in my first try.

Awesome game. Not a huge amount of tower types to choose from, but a very tight experience. Maps are well laid out, and for the most part challenging. Towers are fun to watch when a lot of them are firing at once.

A few great updates there.

In defense grid does unused money or whatever you build with carry over to the next level?

Zefah said:
It was like $4.99 a couple of months ago, I think. I bought the game and I doubt I would have bought it for over that price. It is pretty fun, though. It's definitely one of the best in the tower defense genre.

Well crap. Now I can't get myself to buy the game until it's that cheap again. Oh well, Defense Grid will have to wait.

Saerk

Sinatar said:

I was always amused you could lose by typing take off clothes anywhere in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom